Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

32 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

No games yet - I go back to school tomorrow and I'll be going in full-time.

I chose 2000 since 98 SE doesn't support 2GB of RAM, and I need my 128/256MB sticks for my Power Mac G4.

I might put 98 SE on the Bigfoot TX once I have the time to tinker around with it more, though.

I know I have the 4x 1GB DDR 400 sticks that were in that P4 board here, I think they're in the closet behind some junk. I have a bunch of ram in the closet for some reason. I can mail it up if you want it.

The thing with RAM is you can always have more than the OS can address, it just won't be able to use it all. If you're multi-booting then you just leave it all in there and Oh hey WinXP 32bit see's 3GB of it, 98SE only see's 384MB of it, and the abomination that is XP 64bit....crashed.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

The thing with RAM is you can always have more than the OS can address, it just won't be able to use it all. If you're multi-booting then you just leave it all in there and Oh hey WinXP 32bit see's 3GB of it, 98SE only see's 384MB of it, and the abomination that is XP 64bit....crashed.

My dad burned a copy of XP Pro 64-bit.

I found it shoved behind his PS1 (that is gone) with no case, scratches up the wazoo, doesn't read anymore.

I also found his 98 SE, Me, and XP Pro x86 discs in sleeves in a case with product keys written down.

The XP Pro x86 key worked, too. Runs on my Celeron M laptop.

4 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I know I have the 4x 1GB DDR 400 sticks that were in that P4 board here, I think they're in the closet behind some junk. I have a bunch of ram in the closet for some reason. I can mail it up if you want it.

Once I'm off school (June 2nd!!) that might be handy.

For now, though, I'm postponing any and all projects since I likely won't have time.

elephants

Drivers for 64bit XP weren't know to be the most stable things. I avoided it and Vista and jumped from XP to 7 when it came out. Turns out Vista wasn't bad it was just badly implemented on hardware that wasn't adequate.

On 12/20/2013 at 6:25 AM, TheTechnerd said:

Today I thought we would do something fun and different. This is a topic about showing of all your old pc parts (or old computers). Feel free to post some pics:) It will be fun:D

Here's some of mine:

Kingston Hyperx DDR2 2GB 1066MHz

Intel core 2 duo 2.2 GHz

Intel core 2 duo 2.2 GHz backside

still got my old pentium 4 and my phenom 555 and a 8600gt gpu

Who was it that wanted the 2 Trinitron monitors? I'm older than the 386 and I can't remember.

16 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

@sub68 asked about them.

Yes I did

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, sub68 said:

Yes I did

Alright. Whenever your brother is free to come get them or meet me part way, I know Wheaton is a bit of a drive from where I live. PM me whenever, they're not going anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Alright. Whenever your brother is free to come get them or meet me part way, I know Wheaton is a bit of a drive from where I live. PM me whenever, they're not going anywhere.

I I don't think I can.

I just realized that my brother doesn't have the car.

So my brother goes to wheaton college, I just realized that he can't leave campus.

Anyway my sister who is in chicago has the car.

So I can't get them to get it.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

3 minutes ago, sub68 said:

I I don't think I can.

I just realized that my brother doesn't have the car.

So my brother goes to wheaton college, I just realized that he can't leave campus.

Anyway my sister who is in chicago has the car.

So I can't get them to get it.

Bribe your sister lol.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

Bribe your sister lol.

Funny part is she is home with us right now.

I live in PA.

So I am sorry I can't do it.

Also my mom would disapprove of this plan.

Pc's

Spoiler

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Well, I partook in 2 retro activities tonight haha. I drove this (My toy, about as old as I am)

DSC_5271.thumb.JPG.d457d83dea6d24fec0a0256b7dfb3fed.JPG:

To pick up these:

DSC_5612.thumb.JPG.5db7e8a707d2dd1dc91c92e6e62ba60c.JPG

The IBM Aptiva is what I was really after, and it looks like it has an AMD K6-2 333mhz in it. The Silver Macbook is a G4, but I need to find a power supply for it (28vdc). The other two are pretty much the same and I'm sure I have a supply laying around that will work for them. There were a couple other macbooks but they were in rough shape. I grabbed everything from a friend of mine that I had wired up a basement suite for 🙂

I'm new around here but this thread kinda caught my interest because of my interest in retro PCs.  Anyway, here's a pic of my DEC Venturis 466fp pc.  It sports a POD83 w/128kb L2 cache, 16mb of ram, an S3trio64 2mb vram, a Creative soundcard, and a couple of other things I've added over the years.

WUwZKge.jpg

1 hour ago, bbhaag said:

I'm new around here but this thread kinda caught my interest because of my interest in retro PCs.  Anyway, here's a pic of my DEC Venturis 466fp pc.  It sports a POD83 w/128kb L2 cache, 16mb of ram, an S3trio64 2mb vram, a Creative soundcard, and a couple of other things I've added over the years.

That's a sweet machine. Never had an opportunity to play with a Pentium overdrive, but I've got a few 486 dx2-66s.

The trio64 is a good card for dos games, supposed to be quite compatible and a decent performer. What do you run on it? What other goodies have you added?

7 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Well, I partook in 2 retro activities tonight haha. I drove this (My toy, about as old as I am)

DSC_5271.thumb.JPG.d457d83dea6d24fec0a0256b7dfb3fed.JPG:

You should post over in the car thread. Is it stock? I like those Conquest/Starions. The Chrysler partnership with Mitsu was probably their  only partnership that didn't bone Chrysler.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

You should post over in the car thread. Is it stock? I like those Conquest/Starions. The Chrysler partnership with Mitsu was probably their  only partnership that didn't bone Chrysler.

I have a while ago haha. Your not the first to mistake it for a Conquest /Station. It's actually a Daytona and no not stock 😜

Interestingly, the engine computers in these from what I remember are based off 68xxx Motorola processors.

Edit: I Looked it up, the 1987 and earlier logic modules used a Motorola 6803, and the 1988 and newer used a 6811.

45 minutes ago, Tempestspy said:

I give you the Quantum Bigfoot 8Gb 5.25 IDE hard disk (8Gb flash drive for physical size reference)

Man that poor thing looks like it's been through hell and back.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

11 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Man that poor thing looks like it's been through hell and back.

It does. It's a treasure, I keep my well kept secrets from the physical realm. By the way this thing still works when I backed-up some files last 2012

4 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

I have a while ago haha. Your not the first to mistake it for a Conquest /Station. It's actually a Daytona and no not stock 😜

Interestingly, the engine computers in these from what I remember are based off 68xxx Motorola processors.

Edit: I Looked it up, the 1987 and earlier logic modules used a Motorola 6803, and the 1988 and newer used a 6811.

That was going to be second guess, so used to seeing those with two tone paint jobs like blue and silver, not all one color and not black.

19 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

That's a sweet machine. Never had an opportunity to play with a Pentium overdrive, but I've got a few 486 dx2-66s.

The trio64 is a good card for dos games, supposed to be quite compatible and a decent performer. What do you run on it? What other goodies have you added?

Thanks!  I found it several years ago on Ebay for $60 shipped and just couldn't say no.  It originally came with the dx2-66 which is a great cpu but the upgrade bug bit me so I bought a dx4-100 which in all honestly is probably better than the POD but when I found a good deal on the POD83 I just couldn't pass it up.

I don't do much with it besides some retro gaming like Doom and Duke ect and just messing around with DOS 6.22 config files like config.sys and autoexec.bat. trying to eek out every bit of conventional memory I can. haha

I guess a couple of other things I've done is add a 3COM networking card which is always fun to go to Google using IE5 under WFWG 3.11.  It really blows everyones mind when  I use such an old computer to go online.  Of course Usenet and IRC are always fun to use on such an old computer.  I've also done away with a conventional HDD and went with a IDE to CF adaptor.  Just for reliability and of course noise.  The sound a 30+ year old 540mb HDD makes is insane.

I also added a MIDI module to the SB card I have because the version that came with the PC didn't support midi playback.

40 minutes ago, bbhaag said:

Thanks!  I found it several years ago on Ebay for $60 shipped and just couldn't say no.  It originally came with the dx2-66 which is a great cpu but the upgrade bug bit me so I bought a dx4-100 which in all honestly is probably better than the POD but when I found a good deal on the POD83 I just couldn't pass it up.

I don't do much with it besides some retro gaming like Doom and Duke ect and just messing around with DOS 6.22 config files like config.sys and autoexec.bat. trying to eek out every bit of conventional memory I can. haha

I guess a couple of other things I've done is add a 3COM networking card which is always fun to go to Google using IE5 under WFWG 3.11.  It really blows everyones mind when  I use such an old computer to go online.  Of course Usenet and IRC are always fun to use on such an old computer.  I've also done away with a conventional HDD and went with a IDE to CF adaptor.  Just for reliability and of course noise.  The sound a 30+ year old 540mb HDD makes is insane.

I also added a MIDI module to the SB card I have because the version that came with the PC didn't support midi playback.

Dang, I never knew ie5 was even available for wfw 3.11 😳 I'm pretty sure eeking out every kilobyte of conventional memory possible was almost a sport back in the day 😂  but yes it is satisfying to get everything tuned to that extent. Tbh though I usually just loadhigh pretty much everything and call it good, without sound drivers but with cdrom I think that usually nets me 576k free undef dos 6.22.

Ive been wanting to recreate 90s internet and have seen some interesting videos. I want to use a phone line simulator so I can dial into a local machine for dialup access from an old system, and could have some fun with caching some pages from the wayback machine.

Overall the POD83 would be faster than a dx4 100, especially in floating point operations. They're cool for sure!

The CF cards are definitely a good way to go. I've been experimenting with the ide to sd adapters, specifically ones that use the micro SD cards. Problem for me is the sound of the old drives is part of the nostalgia of using the old systems, especially the bootup sequence of the old WD caviars.