Show off your old and retro computer parts

Message added by SansVarnic,

When posting with quotes, please be sure to exclude/remove/snip any photos from the quote to help with load times for slower internet connections.

Thank you,

Moderation Team

2 minutes ago, AdventurePuppy09 said:

Sorry to hear that you had to send it back. When I was younger, back when I used it I would make tons Movies in iMovie and burn them to DVDs.

It especially sucks because that's the only one that I can find that really exists for a reasonable price.

There's one other 820-1747-A on eBay, but I can't check out (eBay just says "The seller cannot accept payments right now").

There's technically a third, but there's no picture of it.

I think I'll just save the refund money for now.

elephants

10 hours ago, AdventurePuppy09 said:

Sorry about the pictures. I just joined the forum today. I will go and see which model the iMac is.

Welcome to the forums! 😁

Those are some nice clean systems! Those iMacs with the round base always intrigued me, certainly a unique design. Your g5 looks pristine too!

I'll have to post my Macs though I don't have many, being a pc guy. I've got a power Mac g5 myself, I think it might be the dual processor model but not 100%, need to open it up. Also have what I believe is a g4 imac, G3 imac and an old 7600/132. Just got my hands on a g4 Macbook and a pair of I think core 2 Macbooks. Not sure if any of those work yet though, and need a power brick for the g4. Maybe I won't get called out tomorrow and can get a picture or two up!

I'd love a closeup of those ataris, I've never had/seen one up close.

8 hours ago, BrianTheElectrician said:

Welcome to the forums! 😁

Those are some nice clean systems! Those iMacs with the round base always intrigued me, certainly a unique design. Your g5 looks pristine too!

I'll have to post my Macs though I don't have many, being a pc guy. I've got a power Mac g5 myself, I think it might be the dual processor model but not 100%, need to open it up. Also have what I believe is a g4 imac, G3 imac and an old 7600/132. Just got my hands on a g4 Macbook and a pair of I think core 2 Macbooks. Not sure if any of those work yet though, and need a power brick for the g4. Maybe I won't get called out tomorrow and can get a picture or two up!

I'd love a closeup of those ataris, I've never had/seen one up close.

That is a lot of Macs! My Dad and Me are always collecting older macs. The oldest computer we have is one of the Atari computers. For the most part we have 1 of every iMac model from the G3 to the 2010 21.5" iMac. As well as a PowerMac G3 and G4. I am currently restoring the PowerMac G4.

The PowerMac G5 that we have is a single core 1.8GHz, I have been restoring it to its best over the past few months. Here are the specs for it.273238388_ScreenShot2021-04-23at8_29_07AM.png.d6f6a506cc37e79fba17f207b4c7209d.png

PowerMac G5

I will send over some more atari systems photos when I get home later today!

16 hours ago, AdventurePuppy09 said:

That is a lot of Macs! My Dad and Me are always collecting older macs. The oldest computer we have is one of the Atari computers. For the most part we have 1 of every iMac model from the G3 to the 2010 21.5" iMac. As well as a PowerMac G3 and G4. I am currently restoring the PowerMac G4.

The PowerMac G5 that we have is a single core 1.8GHz, I have been restoring it to its best over the past few months. Here are the specs for it.273238388_ScreenShot2021-04-23at8_29_07AM.png.d6f6a506cc37e79fba17f207b4c7209d.png

I will send over some more atari systems photos when I get home later today!

Dang that G5 is VERY clean inside. I tried to get mine down haha but i'd have to move more than a few systems to be able to get it off the shelf... I did pull down my Power Mac 7600/132 though. It's been a while since I've booted it up but I think I had installed MacOS 8 on it. It has the original 2gb SCSI hard disk in it as well 🙂

I know the processor is 132mhz, I don't remember if its the PowerPC 603 or 604 though.

DSC_5717.thumb.JPG.2a5ca1c58d579243cb2766fef0e58f8e.JPGDSC_5718.thumb.JPG.a553553f6397dcb0d2c500f2cd79be23.JPG

6 hours ago, laz440 said:

Hi i still have a Hyundai  super 286C with a N80286-10 cpu.

That's pretty sweet to have kicking around. Does it still work? If so, need to build a system around it 🙂

I'm new here , but have to get some pics of the older stuff I have around . Love seeing this old stuff !

7 hours ago, kansei said:

Few things I have around

Ooooo love the Athlons! Such an exciting time, they make great windows 9x machines. Any plans to build one?

7 hours ago, kansei said:

I'm new here , but have to get some pics of the older stuff I have around . Love seeing this old stuff !

Welcome to the forums! Would love to see some pics of what you have. The old stuff is definitely a lot of fun to play with, and cheap if you know where to look.

Well, I scored pretty good today. We weren't that busy at work today and as a result I was able to get off about an hour early. After I dropped the work truck at home and grabbed my car I swung by the recycling depot that I frequent and scored two systems:

DSC_5737.thumb.JPG.e87718f33ea1e1d5b5f5621c20d95339.JPG

The left one is a 486 DX2-66mhz, and is a late PCI based 486, making it the only one like it in my collection. It also has a PCI S3 Trio32, which I don't recall ever having seen before either. It has a newer Sound Blaster CT4170 in it though, so that and the optical drive must have been later upgrades. The motherboard also uses a CR2032 for the BIOS battery instead of those PITA Varta batteries or Dallas RTC's that were so common in the era.

The right system is a Pentium 233 MMX, with a later socket 7 board supporting SD ram as well as 72 pin FPM/EDO. Its sporting a Sound Blaster Live! as well, which again must have been an upgrade later in it's life.

The ZIP drive I scored off of Facebook Marketplace locally for $15cdn. I have yet to test everything, but I don't see any reason why any of it wouldn't work.

My old (& dusty) HP XW6000 with dual 3.2 xeons, 4gb of DDR1 ram, a 500gb deskstar and a Sapphire HD4650 1Gb AGP gfx card

xw6000_a.JPG

xw6000_d.jpg

xw6000_b.jpg

xw6000_c.jpg

deskstar.JPG

ram.jpeg

sapphire.JPG

vrm.JPG

18 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Nice! Just curious though, I've never seen those coolers before. Are they like vapor chamber centers with fins surrounding them?

HP/Compaq's thing back in the day was a hollow copper "slug" with aluminum fins thermal-pasted to the outside. I had to dismantle 8 or so old Willamette Compaq's with a smaller round version and they're pretty garbage quality wise. I can see why it only seemed to last for a very short period of time.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

1 minute ago, Schnoz said:

Nice! Just curious though, I've never seen those coolers before. Are they like vapor chamber centers with fins surrounding them?

each CPU has a  "conventional" finned stack on it and then there's just a plastic shroud over the top that directs air over them as its exhausted by the 2 x 80mm fans (I think they are)  at the back. There's also another 80mm fan (although it might be 100m) at the front lower sucking in

9 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

HP/Compaq's thing back in the day was a hollow copper "slug" with aluminum fins thermal-pasted to the outside. I had to dismantle 8 or so old Williamette Compaq's with a smaller round version and they're pretty garbage quality wise. I can see why it only seemed to last for a very short period of time.

I shall take your word for that. Never taken one apart and these ones have never been off in the 12 or so tears I've had her

5 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

Wait, they aren't even a vapor chamber? Is it just a hollow copper thing, or is the inside at least coated with sintered powder for a vapor chamber? If it's hollow, that's just terrible. 

If it's anything like the ones I've dealt with, it's a fairly chunky copper base that just turns into a copper tube. And the Socket 478 ones I dealt with would shit dried-up thermal paste absolutely everywhere if you moved the aluminum fins around.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

InkedPXL_20210429_152306219_LI.jpg.8bb7aee5bc8b5d2a31ca62e36d8e77be.jpg

My HP EX495 (MediaSmart server) which I bought new in 2009.  It has a Pentium Dual Core 2.5GHz processor (E5200).  Upgradded to 4GB RAM.  Still in use today, but instead of Windows Home Server (from 2009) it is now using Oracle Enterprise Linux 6 which I installed on it back in October 2012.

It still runs 24x7 and it's primary as my backup repository for Veeam.  The Veeam server is in a VM running on the ESXi host in the rack above it.  The veeam VM takes daily backups of the other guest VMs running in the ESXi host and it stores the backups on the HP EX495 through it's gigabit LAN connection.  I swap/rotate the repository drives in the little HP every couple months or when they start getting full.

Other things running on it is an Oracle Enterprise 11gR2 database for little experiments, not used often.

I also sync my SVN repositories to it nightly as an extra measure of recovery if my SVN server crashes and if I can't otherwise restore the SVN server from veeam.

The top three drives contain the 2TB drives for the Veeam Backups.  The bottom drive contains the OS boot, / and home partitions (oracle database and SVN mirrored repository are on that bottom drive too).

It's a solid little performer and has been most reliable.

Here's a few link describing it on newegg and a blog page on it:

https://www.newegg.com/hp-mediasmart-fl705aa-aba/p/N82E16859105563

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/09/16/a-closer-look-at-the-ex490-and-ex495-hardware/

here's an lscpu and /proc/cpuinfo screenshot:

2021-04-26_13-37-29.thumb.png.77300937a730c2cb81c3ecc926006556.png

Here's showing the partitions and logical volumes, etc

2021-04-29_10-54-55.png.047c282a965f844d4743ca9f079f7ef7.png

I doubt they give you any access to it, but the E5200 undervolt and underclocks pretty well to gain efficiency, quite a bit too. You can knock a few hundred mhz off and drop a good deal of core volts in the process and not suffer noticable performance losses.

37 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I doubt they give you any access to it, but the E5200 undervolt and underclocks pretty well to gain efficiency, quite a bit too. You can knock a few hundred mhz off and drop a good deal of core volts in the process and not suffer noticable performance losses.

Thank you, I'll check if I can do that.  I can get into the bios after I added this little "debug" board that plugs into the mobo. 

890088638_GI0F7409(Medium).JPG.c46cd712505a3f1d2fb45fbde845795d.JPG

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8066

From factory the little server is only meant to run headless and didn't come with any video output port and this little card allowed for accessing BIOS.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to see POST or BIOS screens.

I'll check if it allows any undervolt or underclocking... it's been about 10 yrs since I've seen it's BIOS screens

23 minutes ago, benny_r_t_2 said:

Thank you, I'll check if I can do that.  I can get into the bios after I added this little "debug" board that plugs into the mobo. 

890088638_GI0F7409(Medium).JPG.c46cd712505a3f1d2fb45fbde845795d.JPG

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8066

From factory the little server is only meant to run headless and didn't come with any video output port and this little card allowed for accessing BIOS.  Otherwise I wouldn't be able to see POST or BIOS screens.

I'll check if it allows any undervolt or underclocking... it's been about 10 yrs since I've seen it's BIOS screens

I doubt that it does and sadly getting a slower CPU would just be a slower CPU, not an intuitively more efficient one since they all run the same volts. If it does that's awesome though! Somewhere else you could pick up efficiency would be a better power supply, if it's not a proprietary type. They've gotten a lot better in the last 15 or so years. More stable voltages, less ripple, and higher power conversion efficiency.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I doubt that it does and sadly getting a slower CPU would just be a slower CPU, not an intuitively more efficient one since they all run the same volts. If it does that's awesome though! Somewhere else you could pick up efficiency would be a better power supply, if it's not a proprietary type. They've gotten a lot better in the last 15 or so years. More stable voltages, less ripple, and higher power conversion efficiency.

I agree, I should probably try to keep settings the same now that I think about it.   I don't want to mess up something that has been so faithful so many yrs.    The PSU is a Delta GPS200AB (200W) and I've read some came with an Hipro HPU200EF3 power supply.  I don't know their efficiency ratings.   It seems it is proprietary PSU for the HPs non-standard wire/pin power connection.   Fortunately my PSU still works.   I'm thinking about how my capacitors are doing, I've not looked.  I probably won't try to change PSU though until I have to.  The PSU sits below the tiny motherboard in the chassis.  It's an impressive use of space.

PSRear.thumb.jpg.ac99f01b6c6a5f8f5e191426fa399604.jpg

I found possible replacements on amazon and they are 350W instead of 200.  They also have correct connection/pins/wires.  Still unsure of their efficiency or quality.  Doesn't look like a corsair type quality. 🙂

https://www.amazon.com/Replace-Power-Supply-MediaSmart-Server/dp/B01ANJY8SW/ref=psdc_1161760_t1_B019MOLR3S

Back in the day:

Asus K8N-DRE dual socket 940 (server not AM2)

2x AMD Opteron 875 dual cores (max validation of 2846mhz, about 30% OC)

Dual Channet DDR-SDRAM ECC 2-2-2-5 @ 130mhz effective (260mt/s from 200) 

Antec Continuous Power Series 1Kw (Sill in use today in fact) 

I do not still have the lower waterblock, which I made by hand with poured aluminum from some old car rims I melted down. The upper waterblock I still have and use on the bench however. This is a modified ThermalTake Bigwater SE that once had an acrylic top plate which did eventually crack on me. The block is obviously modified, the top plate is also different today then you see in this picture below.

Off to the pictures, do enjoy!

https://valid.x86.fr/0vpsy8

152387892_Opteron875x4.thumb.png.f97e38f15859be2c284ff6fa9cfc726b.png

389602.jpg.3ce981b41512d65a22ec6a5b17c96eae.jpg

So here’s my build. GTX 1080Ti Gigabyte model. X5690 @2.9Ghz 6 cores and 12 threads. ASUS rampage II gene with 6 sticks of memory (I think that makes it 6 channel memory) each 4 Gb. I also use the Same HiPRO 700W PSU that came with my old Alienware. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

20 minutes ago, Bitter said:

That's not really old for this thread. A 1080 is still pretty current. If that was say a 580 then maybe.

Oh sorry. I was only meaning to talk about the Predator 2 case and the Playstation 3D monitor (2011) Plus I'm still running the Old PSU?