Folding Community Board

Go to solution Solved by GOTSpectrum,

5 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Side mounted fans shooting air directly into the case is ALWAYS the best method for GPU cooling.

I don't understand how that works. The fans on the GPU force the air through the heat sink out towards the side of the case. If you have fans blowing the air back into the GPU arn't they working against the GPU fans ?

A little, but at least it brings fresh air in instead of leaving the hot air that just went through the heatsink stay in the case and get through the heatsink again and again.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

34 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

A little, but at least it brings fresh air in instead of leaving the hot air that just went through the heatsink stay in the case and get through the heatsink again and again.

OK I can understand that. I've got a case with a mess front and 2 X 200mm in the front, a 120mm in the back and a 120mm in the top so hopefully the hot air doesn't stay around for very long.

5 hours ago, justpoet said:

I'm curious, do you have the 3d files posted anywhere?  I could see several folks wanting to do something similar for folding or mining.

What did you use for the backplate of the motherboard, and the PCIE mounts, to keep everything solid?  I've thought about making my own case for a while, but those 2 items I keep thinking I'd want to rip from some existing old case.

Okay, some details. I designed this case because my travel desktop had horrible thermals. I was using a Fractal Designs Node 202 and the 5700xt was thermal throttling on any AAA title I played. The case is printed in PETG.

The rear IO is lasercut acrylic as well. It wasn't the ideal solution but I am on contract 3 states away from my CNC so I couldn't knock out an aluminum panel. Ideally the rear panel would have some simple bends to allow for graphics card mounting. For now I printed and epoxied some cubes with places to attach mounting screws. It was meant to be a placeholder but has worked well and I may keep it for this version.

For motherboard mounting I played around with having an acrylic backplate with the idea of using aluminum as well. But when I started fit testing I found that it also wasn't really necessary. Everything was pretty solid and I experienced no plastic softening.

As far as stls I've held off on posting them because there a couple issues with the case. The biggest problem is graphics card clearance. I failed to account for the pcie extension cable so the graphics card doesn't really have as much headroom as I'd of liked. Next the layout is great for SSD mounting (Can mount 4 SATA SSDs in the bottom cavity). The problem is that the graphics card's length necessitated printing it in 6 parts and relying on the lasercut panels and plenty of m3 metric bolts to give it rigidity. The motherboard tray uses 2 M3x30mm allen bolts to hold tightly bind the motherboard tray. I 'welded' the parts together using a 3d printing pen.

I'm working on a revision that flips the graphics card to mount vertically, decreases overall footprint, and can be printed as three pieces. I can see how a larger case that required 'welding' could easily accomodate two vertically mounted full size graphics cards and a mATX board.

Here's the old case with the work in progress case design.

Luminary Case.png

Case-150x150-front-rear.png

5 hours ago, marknd59 said:

I don't understand how that works. The fans on the GPU force the air through the heat sink out towards the side of the case. If you have fans blowing the air back into the GPU arn't they working against the GPU fans ?

I actually modded the fans on the GPU to reverse them. It's a bit kludgy and I didn't get the benefit to thermals that I thought I would. But I don't plan on keeping this graphics card for my next build.

Does anyone have any experience with those PCIe expansion boards? I bought a 1x to 4 16x board and it keeps crashing the system. I read signal integrity can crash the system but I don't know where the signal is getting compromised from or even if that's the cause. On the rare occasion the system throws a bluescreen with it, it's a machine check exception.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Those don't work good for folding, unlike coin mining folding uses the PCIe bandwidth pretty regularly and heavily tossing data between the card, cpu, and system memory.

If the board is bifurcating you need to configure the mobo accordingly. 

Other than that if the mobo allows it you can try reducing the PCIe speed and see if it changes something.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

On 6/11/2020 at 7:47 PM, ForgottenNavigator said:

Okay, some details.

Spoiler

I designed this case because my travel desktop had horrible thermals. I was using a Fractal Designs Node 202 and the 5700xt was thermal throttling on any AAA title I played. The case is printed in PETG.

The rear IO is lasercut acrylic as well. It wasn't the ideal solution but I am on contract 3 states away from my CNC so I couldn't knock out an aluminum panel. Ideally the rear panel would have some simple bends to allow for graphics card mounting. For now I printed and epoxied some cubes with places to attach mounting screws. It was meant to be a placeholder but has worked well and I may keep it for this version.

For motherboard mounting I played around with having an acrylic backplate with the idea of using aluminum as well. But when I started fit testing I found that it also wasn't really necessary. Everything was pretty solid and I experienced no plastic softening.

As far as stls I've held off on posting them because there a couple issues with the case. The biggest problem is graphics card clearance. I failed to account for the pcie extension cable so the graphics card doesn't really have as much headroom as I'd of liked. Next the layout is great for SSD mounting (Can mount 4 SATA SSDs in the bottom cavity). The problem is that the graphics card's length necessitated printing it in 6 parts and relying on the lasercut panels and plenty of m3 metric bolts to give it rigidity. The motherboard tray uses 2 M3x30mm allen bolts to hold tightly bind the motherboard tray. I 'welded' the parts together using a 3d printing pen.

I'm working on a revision that flips the graphics card to mount vertically, decreases overall footprint, and can be printed as three pieces. I can see how a larger case that required 'welding' could easily accomodate two vertically mounted full size graphics cards and a mATX board.

Here's the old case with the work in progress case design.

Luminary Case.png

Case-150x150-front-rear.png

This seems awesome, but the proportions looks off to me - what PSU are you planning for this case,. SFF or flex ?
What is the max MB size ? what is the max GPU size :)

I love SFF cases and I am currently using 5 for my rigs ... anything from 6700K to 9900K (@5GHz daily) ... and RTX 2060 to RTX Titan for GPU, on SFF and SFFL, brands like Loque Ghost S1 (with top hat), Velkase Velka 3 and 5, Nouvolo Steck, Phanteks Evolv Shift, Evolv Shift Air  and NZXT H1

9 hours ago, rodarkone said:

This seems awesome, but the proportions looks off to me - what PSU are you planning for this case,. SFF or flex ?
What is the max MB size ? what is the max GPU size :)

I love SFF cases and I am currently using 5 for my rigs ... anything from 6700K to 9900K (@5GHz daily) ... and RTX 2060 to RTX Titan for GPU, on SFF and SFFL, brands like Loque Ghost S1 (with top hat), Velkase Velka 3 and 5, Nouvolo Steck, Phanteks Evolv Shift, Evolv Shift Air  and NZXT H1

I design around SFX power supplies, mini itx motherboards. My second screenshot says 150x150 I realize, sorry for the confusion.

:)  got it - my recommendation to you :

1. forget about SSD's and HDD's this days all the MB's have at least 1 M.2, and the cost of the storage goes down and down (ex I have 2x1TB M.2 NVME, but I am sure larger M.2's will show on the market)  this is due the space, you needs space for cables, any SSD/HDD will require at least 2 cables, a pain in the back that SFF users are very well aware :D 

2. design it with the AIO compatibility in mind, especially for the CPU, if the GPU's usually can deal working in smaller spaces, the CPU cannot, and the coolers on the market are not good, not good at all (there is a miracle one but hard to find and expensive .. more expensive than a dual fan AIO) basically AIO is the only way to go for small small enclosures or crap components, but if you want crap .. you buy a laptop

Not sure if we should create a topic for SFF lovers .. I don't want to pollute this one :)

12 hours ago, rodarkone said:

:)  got it - my recommendation to you :

1. forget about SSD's and HDD's this days all the MB's have at least 1 M.2, and the cost of the storage goes down and down (ex I have 2x1TB M.2 NVME, but I am sure larger M.2's will show on the market)  this is due the space, you needs space for cables, any SSD/HDD will require at least 2 cables, a pain in the back that SFF users are very well aware :D 

2. design it with the AIO compatibility in mind, especially for the CPU, if the GPU's usually can deal working in smaller spaces, the CPU cannot, and the coolers on the market are not good, not good at all (there is a miracle one but hard to find and expensive .. more expensive than a dual fan AIO) basically AIO is the only way to go for small small enclosures or crap components, but if you want crap .. you buy a laptop

Not sure if we should create a topic for SFF lovers .. I don't want to pollute this one :)

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, I don't want to derail conversation.

For SSDs... I'm not quite ready to give them up. I'm big on data redundancy and backups. ITX boards rarely have 2 m.2 slots. SSDs really are fairly easy to make space for if I plan carefully.

For AIO... I'm in the early stages of planning a dual rad custom loop setup. 3D printing will allow me to do all sorts of craziness with hardline routing. Once I get back home in September I'll be pulling the trigger on that. The plan is to use my larger printer and CNC to make a ~12-15 liter threadripper build with brass and leather panels. Also planning on doing some anti-RGB with LED filaments to create an edison bulb effect if my glassblowing buddy is able.

5 hours ago, ForgottenNavigator said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, I don't want to derail conversation.

For SSDs... I'm not quite ready to give them up. I'm big on data redundancy and backups. ITX boards rarely have 2 m.2 slots. SSDs really are fairly easy to make space for if I plan carefully.

For AIO... I'm in the early stages of planning a dual rad custom loop setup. 3D printing will allow me to do all sorts of craziness with hardline routing. Once I get back home in September I'll be pulling the trigger on that. The plan is to use my larger printer and CNC to make a ~12-15 liter threadripper build with brass and leather panels. Also planning on doing some anti-RGB with LED filaments to create an edison bulb effect if my glassblowing buddy is able.

I really want to see that.  😄

I'd absolutely love a TR SFF build :D

But unfortunately that's still going to be massive in comparison to my current 4.7L build, and since I would not be able to carry it while traveling anymore it kinda makes no sense for me to go ahead with it... :( 

F@H

GPD Win 2

after moving houses, waiting for the ISP to provide internet to the new place and setting up my rigs again, i can finally say that production is back up and running! :D

1161217190_backup!.PNG.9b83c556333db9db97040b98533f88f7.PNG

For those who've specified COVID-19 work units, has anyone else been receiving cancer-related work units from time to time? Just recently noticed that's been happening to me over the last week or so.

Is this setting just a preference prioritisation of work units rather than a hard selection setting? So I'm getting cancer related work units because COVID-19 work units have  been running out? It used to be my F@H client would just idle if out of COVID-19 work unit instead of working on other types of work units.

Hey all, just a quick post here. I just ran into an issue where the FAH web client was constantly refreshing and flashing the screen every second or two in chrome 83, and the way I found to fix it was to disable my ad-block. Not sure why that helped, but it did. Hopefully that helps somebody!

| 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 13" |

My gaming desktop -- |Intel Core i7-3820 | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | 16gb 2133mhz G.Skill Ripjawz X | ASUS DUAL GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD | SeaSonic 760XP2 | Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler | LG22MC57HQ 1080p Monitor | Azio MGK1 Keyboard | Logitech G300s Mouse | HyperX Cloud Headset | Windows 10 Pro Insider |

11 hours ago, mwthomas10 said:

Hey all, just a quick post here. I just ran into an issue where the FAH web client was constantly refreshing and flashing the screen every second or two in chrome 83, and the way I found to fix it was to disable my ad-block. Not sure why that helped, but it did. Hopefully that helps somebody!

That can happen a lot even w/o ad-block. I'd recommend you to use Advanced Control via F@H app or install this extension if you really want to use web client (believe me, you will like it):

Favebook's F@H Stats

Favebook's BOINC Stats

CPU i7-8700k (5.0GHz)  Motherboard Aorus Z370 Gaming 7  RAM Vengeance® RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3200MHz  GPU  Aorus 1080 Ti

Case Carbide Series SPEC-OMEGA  Storage  Samsung Evo 970 1TB & WD Red Pro 10TB

PSU Corsair HX850i  Cooling Custom EKWB loop

Display Acer Predator x34 120Hz

3 hours ago, Favebook said:

That can happen a lot even w/o ad-block. I'd recommend you to use Advanced Control via F@H app or install this extension if you really want to use web client (believe me, you will like it):

I'm unfamiliar with Advanced Control via the app, how do you access that?

Edit: nevermind found it, apparently the shortcut for F@h on my desktop was not to the controller, it was to "hide console" which is another application in the F@h folder

My gaming desktop -- |Intel Core i7-3820 | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | 16gb 2133mhz G.Skill Ripjawz X | ASUS DUAL GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD | SeaSonic 760XP2 | Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler | LG22MC57HQ 1080p Monitor | Azio MGK1 Keyboard | Logitech G300s Mouse | HyperX Cloud Headset | Windows 10 Pro Insider |

I'm currently running version 7.4.4 of the desktop client which says it's from 2014, does anybody know if there is a different version that i should be using? This one seems to work just fine.

10 minutes ago, mwthomas10 said:

I'm currently running version 7.4.4 of the desktop client which says it's from 2014, does anybody know if there is a different version that i should be using? This one seems to work just fine.

Hey there. The latest F@H client seems to be Version 7.6.13. You can find it on F@H's site (F@H - Alternative Downloads).

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

15 minutes ago, Eschew said:

Hey there. The latest F@H client seems to be Version 7.6.13. You can find it on F@H's site (F@H - Alternative Downloads).

Is there any reason to update?

2 minutes ago, mwthomas10 said:

Is there any reason to update?

Usually to avoid bonked folding runs/WU assignments, better stability, etc. A couple of GPU folding issues I ran into were fixed by updating the client and/or drivers.

From F@H's site:

We are continuously improving the Folding@home software and adding new features. We release new versions to fix bugs reported by the users to help make the project run as smoothly as possible.

SourceRunning Folding@home.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Vegas seem like a viable option if you can get them for cheap. Good PPD if you get the right batches of WUs. 

image.thumb.png.36dd0cf7f61176bec27dbed44fef9e4d.png

Somewhat tempting (note this listing is in CAD)

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB