FFXV gets cracked 4 days before release because developers didn't encrypt Origin version

ItsMitch
5 hours ago, Thermosman said:

snip

this every time I hear the word DRM

Well I would say I agree with most of his points then he mentions steam, and quite frankly online interactions are often still usuable through steam even with cracked games, it is case by case no doubt but his description seems to state it as not a thing. 

What will ultimately limit this game's illegal distribution isn't any encryption they intended to put on it, it is the file size.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

18 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I stopped reading at "Origin". Of course EA would be behind this. Last time they tried something with security, it was a loot box progression system for Star Wars: Battlefront 2. 

And yes, I do count making box purchases an "extended endeavor" as "EA security".

Well, I kind of agree with you, but it's mostly SQ or EA's fault, they failed to at least run a check if the executable was encrypted so it's their fault. Customers are fucked over but I think the customers will be more angry at the companies for the DRM than anyone. 

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Well, I kind of agree with you, but it's mostly SQ or EA's fault, they failed to at least run a check if the executable was encrypted so it's their fault. Customers are fucked over but I think the customers will be more angry at the companies for the DRM than anyone. 

I would say it's completely EA's fault. I could understand pre-loading a game before release (GMT) by a few hours, but nearly a week? 

Oh well, as long as Origin dies so that my games can be in fewer places. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I would say it's completely EA's fault. I could understand pre-loading a game before release (GMT) by a few hours, but nearly a week? 

Oh well, as long as Origin dies so that my games can be in fewer places. 

SE's fault for not checking that it was encrypted,Origin/EA is only the host for the game.

But yeah kill Origin for this so all the games people bought just disappear, I couldn't see EA moving all of their games to Steam.

3DM is still around?

didn't they stop for a year

and i never heard from them again....

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

3DM is still around?

didn't they stop for a year

and i never heard from them again....

i swear i seen this post earlier........ 

yes they're still around but they're fairly obscure, like all cracking groups. 

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

i swear i seen this post earlier........ 

yes they're still around but they're fairly obscure, like all cracking groups. 

3DM was HUGE.

not gonna say anything else.. :) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Square-Enix is having an awful time right now. First, their Secret of Mana remake gets panned because of its mediocrity and visual departure from the original aesthetics, then their Chrono Trigger PC release is denied by fans and would-be eager customers because it is really an awful and dishonourable presentation of the game (which, itself, is the greatest game ever made), and now their flagship title is pirateable days before its release due to incompetence.

SE actually had a once-in-a-blue-moon all-star lineup these past few weeks, like Valve's Orange Box (or even rarer), with SoM, Chrono Trigger, and FF XV, but they f****d the first two titles up beyond anyone's worst fears for the games, and now FF XV's release is giving SE trouble.

I wonder what things are like inside SE right now.

If SE had done the SoM remake right, and done the Chrono Trigger PC release right, and then released FF XV... They'd be basking in glory for a long time to come, and likely could have triggered a golden age for SE's reputation.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

31 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Square-Enix is having an awful time right now. First, their Secret of Mana remake gets panned because of its mediocrity and visual departure from the original aesthetics, then their Chrono Trigger PC release is denied by fans and would-be eager customers because it is really an awful and dishonourable presentation of the game (which, itself, is the greatest game ever made), and now their flagship title is pirateable days before its release due to incompetence.

SE actually had a once-in-a-blue-moon all-star lineup these past few weeks, like Valve's Orange Box, with SoM, Chrono Trigger, and FF XV, but they f****d the first two titles up beyond anyone's worst fears for the games, and now FF XV's release is giving SE trouble.

Their PR team when they found of the crack

giphy.gif 

3 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

Their PR team when they found of the crack

giphy.gif 

At least the monkey (macaque?, gotta call Wikipedia for this one) knows where WASD is. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

At least the monkey (macaque?, gotta call Wikipedia for this one) knows where WASD is. 

goteeeeeeeem

38 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

SE actually had a once-in-a-blue-moon all-star lineup these past few weeks, like Valve's Orange Box, with SoM, Chrono Trigger, and FF XV, but they f****d the first two titles up beyond anyone's worst fears for the games, and now FF XV's release is giving SE trouble.

As long as they don't terribly screw up the launch of the Final Fantasy VII Remake (If they ever end up finishing it...), and/or Kingdom Hearts 3, there might be hope left for them.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

10 hours ago, Himommies said:

The suprsing part of this is learning that FFXV is on orgin

It's on everything including windows store.

25 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

It's on everything including windows store.

Related image

tfw you hear it's on the Sindows Store.......

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

Related image

tfw you hear it's on the Sindows Store.......

It's even in the Big Mac's "special sauce"! 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

On 4/3/2018 at 6:09 PM, techstorm970 said:

Not encrypting your game is like getting out of your car, except you leave it unlocked with the keys in it.  Total lack of common sense here. xD So stupid, much wow...

If thieves made a full copy of your car and left you with exactly as many cars as you had before, yes. Oh, and when you sell that car you also make a perfect copy and are left with the same number of cars as before.

Piracy is morally questionable for sure, but let's not compare it with grand theft. Studies have shown that piracy does not significantly impact software sales and in some instances it actually increases them (as it did with windows for example). And yet, someone will be fired over this and paying customers will have a copy that is inferior to the pirated one in every way. Is that common sense?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

What will ultimately limit this game's illegal distribution isn't any encryption they intended to put on it, it is the file size.

Wouldn't that limit legitimate sales as well? Torrents can be slower than dedicated servers (if the servers are good) but generally that's not a problem when a crack of this "calibre" is released, especially if the game isn't out for legal purchase yet - I would argue they should just go ahead and release the game right now or they might lose a lot of launch week revenue. People who are willing to buy it on day one are unlikely to want to wait for the offical release at this point.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's just sad, it means less n less good console games will come to PC.

Or we must wait longer time for it to be released on PC platform.

24 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If thieves made a full copy of your car and left you with exactly as many cars as you had before, yes. Oh, and when you sell that car you also make a perfect copy and are left with the same number of cars as before.

Piracy is morally questionable for sure, but let's not compare it with grand theft. Studies have shown that piracy does not significantly impact software sales and in some instances it actually increases them (as it did with windows for example). And yet, someone will be fired over this and paying customers will have a copy that is inferior to the pirated one in every way. Is that common sense?

Every pirate is a potential sale. That is what companies look at. So in your example anyone who goes to buy a car can just copy one for free....meaning hundreds of people could leave a lot with a new car and yet at the end of the day, Honda on sold 1 car. What incentive does that give Honda? Why would you think that would put them on edge? 

This has nothing to do with losing real or tangible stuff, we get it, its digital and cost nothing to make (executable), but thats not the point or the concern, its still loss of profit. 

I still want to see how these studies are performed and how they do not impact. I mean say 1 million copies are pirated...thats $60 million POTENTIAL loss. Maybe all could have payed? dont know, dont care. Still a potential loss in sales. 

Whoever decided not to put the DRM in Origin version is a true hero. *salute*!

article_S_Double_Salute.jpg.671bc88c8c06835017c158a3afa1001e.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

24 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Every pirate is a potential sale.

That's been proven wrong. Pirates generally either wouldn't buy the product if they couldn't get it for free, or are people looking to try the product before purchase (with demos being extremely rare these days) which may actually end up boosting sales.

26 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So in your example anyone who goes to buy a car can just copy one for free....meaning hundreds of people could leave a lot with a new car and yet at the end of the day, Honda on sold 1 car. What incentive does that give Honda? Why would you think that would put them on edge? 

Would you want a car without a warranty, insurance or return policy, even if it were free? Some people would but it turns out most would not. The average consumer is not comfortable with pirating software, even if just because of their morality. Want proof? The industry hasn't died yet despite cracks being available for virtually every game on the market. Besides, services like Steam provide more convenience than a pirated copy most of the time - unless the (useless) DRM does everything in its power to change that. And yes, they are pretty much useless since no software is crack proof and the price of the DRM is probably just barely covered by the additional day one sales.

33 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

its still loss of profit. 

It is not, and I defy you to prove otherwise. "Potential sales" is a bullshit argument that copyright lobbyists use to provide some semblance of excuse for their continued disrespect towards the consumer. Microsoft literally used to distribute pirated copies of windows back in the day to increase their userbase. The reality is that they are assuming ill intent on your part, effectively calling you a thief who will just take their stuff and distribute it for free if given a chance, and you're expected to accept it in the name of "potential sales" - because remember, one pirate always has to buy the game first.

38 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I still want to see how these studies are performed and how they do not impact. I mean say 1 million copies are pirated...thats $60 million POTENTIAL loss. Maybe all could have payed? dont know, dont care. Still a potential loss in sales. 

https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

This is a study founded by the eu, and it is so compelling that the lobbyists tried to suppress it.

And again, try taking someone to court on the basis that they could POTENTIALLY have caused you a financial loss in any way other than copyright violation, see how far that gets you.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

FFXV being rushed in development, buggy benchmark, and China. You know what the joke is in this?

Spoiler

Origin still sucks

25 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That's been proven wrong. Pirates generally either wouldn't buy the product if they couldn't get it for free, or are people looking to try the product before purchase (with demos being extremely rare these days) which may actually end up boosting sales.

Ok.....thats what I said...there are still people that can easily pay for a game but if you have a free option right in front of you with no consequences....people will still take the free option. 

Would you want a car without a warranty, insurance or return policy, even if it were free? Some people would but it turns out most would not. The average consumer is not comfortable with pirating software, even if just because of their morality. Want proof? The industry hasn't died yet despite cracks being available for virtually every game on the market. Besides, services like Steam provide more convenience than a pirated copy most of the time - unless the (useless) DRM does everything in its power to change that. And yes, they are pretty much useless since no software is crack proof and the price of the DRM is probably just barely covered by the additional day one sales.

Im not saying the industry will die nor that DRM is its saving grace. Never did and never will say that. Literally the only thing I am saying is it impact sales is one way shape or form. 

It is not, and I defy you to prove otherwise. "Potential sales" is a bullshit argument that copyright lobbyists use to provide some semblance of excuse for their continued disrespect towards the consumer. Microsoft literally used to distribute pirated copies of windows back in the day to increase their userbase. The reality is that they are assuming ill intent on your part, effectively calling you a thief who will just take their stuff and distribute it for free if given a chance, and you're expected to accept it in the name of "potential sales" - because remember, one pirate always has to buy the game first.

I dont get how you cant grasp the concept. I mean fuck, its the basis of competition. If someone can pay for a game, yet finds a way to get it for free, thats a potential loss. The company could of lost literally nothing or $60. 

Again not fucking arguing for DRM or the way companies treat their customers. Yeah DRM treats us like we are the pirates but my argument is that you cant blame then for worrying. 

https://gizmodo.com/the-eu-suppressed-a-300-page-study-that-found-piracy-do-1818629537

This is a study founded by the eu, and it is so compelling that the lobbyists tried to suppress it.

And again, try taking someone to court on the basis that they could POTENTIALLY have caused you a financial loss in any way other than copyright violation, see how far that gets you.

I wouldnt take anyone to court on potential losses...where the fuck did you get that from, cause I sure in hell didnt say it. They know they cant take the to court, thats why fucking DRM exist!

Ill type it again. I am not supporting DRM in anyway shape or form. But I think its a joke that people can look me in the eye and say that companies do lose a single dollar over piracy. 

Moral of the story, next time don't commercialize your high budget game in a shitty platform like Origin, stick to the ones that work like Steam and GOG.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)