New Homenetwork Setup with monitoring?

Hey everyone,

hope I am in the right place for this but I want so setup a new homenetwork.

There are two issues that I currently have and that I want to overcome:

1. The WiFi-Connectivity with my Providers FRITZ!box plus a few extenders is shit

2. I sometimes have Bandwidth and Ping issues on my PC and I can see that my PC is not the problem but I don’t have any possibility to monitor what device is using up the Bandwidth.

So what I want is something that is not super expensive (maybe around 150€ if possible). I remembered that in some LTT Videos they showed the Ubiquity-APs, so I thought maybe something like this could do the trick?

But does it work on its own or do I need an Ubiquity-Switch for it to work? And does someone know if it is able to do the monitoring I need?

hope someone can help me on that,

sincerely Neokil

Cloud Gateway Ultra + the Access Point will work, and you can add a switch if you need more ethernet ports.

So your network would be ISP Modem -> Cloud Gateway Ultra -> AP -> client devices

Plugging your PC with ethernet instead of wifi, especially if you are gaming, is highly recommended.

20 minutes ago, ToboRobot said:

Cloud Gateway Ultra + the Access Point will work, and you can add a switch if you need more ethernet ports.

This is the simplest solution to use Unifi APs. However, I want to point out that access point needs power over ethernet (POE) to work. The Cloud Gateway Ultra does not have POE ports, so the Op will also need a "POE Injector" for this project. They are usually affordable, but it's another item.

You can start with just one UniFi AP and expand your setup as needed.

The UniFi APs can be powered via Power over Ethernet (PoE), so you'll need either a PoE switch or a PoE injector for each AP.

You'll also need a UniFi Controller, which can run on a computer, a UniFi Cloud Key, or even a Raspberry Pi.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

Thank you all that is super helpful.

So did I understand that correct, I could start with a UniFi AP + PEO-Injector and then extend it with a Cloud Gateway Ultra down the line? Asking because the Gateway is currently sold out in the unify-store.

Also I saw the UniFi Express, which seems to be a Gateway+AP (see here), could that be a solution as well?