FFXV gets cracked 4 days before release because developers didn't encrypt Origin version

ItsMitch

Congratulations to Final Fantasy for being cracked 4 days BEFORE release, a very fun day for them I bet.

Crackers in China called 3DM did find an encrypted executable in the Origin version of the pre release, but in the steam version the executable was fully encrypted. 

Chinese group 3DM has used Final Fantasy XV’s demo executable file, a file that does not contain the Denuvo anti-tamper tech, in order to crack the game. This, however, would not be possible if it wasn’t for Origin. Unlike Steam, Origin made available for pre-load an unencrypted version of the whole game. 3DM got that unencrypted version and cracked the game via the demo file.

According to early reports, the first three Chapters work fine (and some players have been able to reach even the ninth Chapter without any issues). The size is also around 150GB with the HD 4K Resolution Textures, suggesting that this is the real deal. So yeah, this is undoubtedly bad news for Square Enix.

On the other hand, the good news is that – solely for performance purposes – we will be able to test and see whether the Denuvo-free version of Final Fantasy XV runs better than the launch version. In short, we’ll finally have an open-world game, a game that does indeed stress modern-day CPUs, and see whether Denuvo brings any additional performance hit.

So a huge congratulations for Square Enix and of course to Denuvo for being massive idiots and overlooking such a major issue. Can we have a huge round of applause for them.

Source is DoS gaming - https://www.dsogaming.com/news/final-fantasy-xv-has-been-cracked-four-days-prior-to-its-official-release/

Crackwatch also posted a little bit of information:

About 3DM release (infos updated): 3DM notes (original): 重要的说明写在最后:

本次打包的文件为正式版的完整文件 使用的未加密补丁是基于试玩版而来 已有玩家测试可以顺利打到第2章第3章 能否全程通关还待继续测试

正式版已确认D加密,非正版玩家可以用这个版本玩到正式版内容。预购DLC暂时无法启用。等基于正式版的未加密版发布后,我们也会第一时间提取分享基于正式版的未加密补丁。

3DM notes (google translate): Important note is written at the end:

The packaged files for the official version of the full file using the unencrypted patch is based on the demo version of the existing players can test successfully hit the second chapter Chapter 3 whether the entire customs clearance yet to continue testing

The official version has confirmed D encryption, non-genuine players can use this version to play the official version of the content. Pre-order DLC temporarily unable to enable. After the official version based on the unencrypted version of the release, we will also extract the first time based on the official version of the unencrypted patch.

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

Congratulations to Final Fantasy for being cracked 4 days after release, a very fun day for them I bet.

It's not even release yet for PC.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Denuvo needs to put down the crack pipe. Most of their games with "uncrackable" DRM have been cracked, and the ones that haven't seem to be mostly smaller games that get less attention, so probably just not much effort being put into cracking.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

What's worse than crackable DRM? Someone on your team dropped the key.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, violentnumeric said:

Denuvo needs to put down the crack pipe. Most of their games with "uncrackable" DRM have been cracked, and the ones that haven't seem to be mostly smaller games that get less attention, so probably just not much effort being put into cracking.

But, our denuvo 5.0 is the STRONGEST level of encryption possible! Just pay us a unreasonable amount of money, m'kay? - denuvo

3 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA! How do you F*** up something like that? Someone is getting fired for sure.xDxD

I'm guessing that they underestimated the speed of the crackers lmao. 

thats... amazing. how do you even manage to fuck up this bad? thats astounding amounts of retard right there

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

One thing that's also interesting me, what kind of Denuvo version was in this game, SquareEnix didn't say in their EULA :Thinking: 

How much effort is put in these denuvo protections?

This is huge. I was not expecting this, especially since it's a really important release. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Paddi01 said:

How much effort is put in these denuvo protections?

A lot I'm guessing, since this is a FF game. 

35 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

But, our denuvo 5.0 is the STRONGEST level of encryption possible! Just pay us a unreasonable amount of money, m'kay? - denuvo

Denuvo doesn't version their stuff like that. The version numbers are given by the hacking community. Denuvo also makes no claims about it being uncrackable or anything. They do the exact opposite and acknowledge that it will eventually be cracked and that nothing is uncrackable.

Lol rip xD

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

i'm curious about the performance difference between cracked vs. normal 

in other news, i've heard that some beat the game with the cracked version 

Just now, Technicolors said:

Oh definitely, it's already been beaten. 

Just now, Technicolors said:

Since the pirated version doesn't contain any of the DLC, Royal Edition content, or the likely day one patch (because all games have to have day one patches these days) any comparison between the two is going to be pretty worthless out of the gate. And who knows how old the build used for the demo is, so using the demo exe itself could be introducing other variables that would make a comparison pointless.

2 minutes ago, Derangel said:

Since the pirated version doesn't contain any of the DLC, Royal Edition content, or the likely day one patch (because all games have to have day one patches these days) any comparison between the two is going to be pretty worthless out of the gate. And who knows how old the build used for the demo is, so using the demo exe itself could be introducing other variables that would make a comparison pointless.

there are with all the DLC, but i think no day one patch. i still think it'll be an interesting comparison

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

there are with all the DLC, but i think no day one patch. i still think it'll be an interesting comparison

I've seen people with that version saying that the paid DLC is not present, same with the Royal Edition content.

Wow, just wow, why pay for something that isn't even there?

Now they should just make it DRM free, I would gain a lot of respect for them if they did.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Not encrypting your game is like getting out of your car, except you leave it unlocked with the keys in it.  Total lack of common sense here. xD So stupid, much wow...

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

3 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

Not encrypting your game is like getting out of your car, except you leave it unlocked with the keys in it.  Total lack of common sense here. xD So stupid, much wow...

More like "My car is in the drive, it's unlocked and ready to go, can you wait in the car" > Proceeds to drive off with the car.