Silent and Efficient Hardware for Self Hosting

Hello,

at the moment I'm running an old prebuilt as a server. (i5-3350p, 8GB RAM)

I'm not running the most demanding software on the server. Mostly Homeassistant, Bitwarden, PiHole. Nothing fancy.

Now my problem is, that the prebuilt is quite loud.

There are certainly options out there that are quiter and less power consuming.

Is there something you could recommend? Maybe something that is available used?

Thank you. 

Look for used Intel nucs or mini PCs they are pretty quiet.

I Use my knowledge as business owner and self taught technician aswell as an AI to help people. AI might be controversial but it actually works pretty well 90% of the time.

If performance isn't a issue I'd try making the fan spin faster. I doubt your saving much power as those chips could still idle at less than 20 watts from the wall so I'd get a power meter so see how much your really pulling.

If you want new look at something like a n100 mini PC. Super low power and normally near silent.

I'd look at what's making the noise ... for example open the power supply up, see what fan it's there, and find a fan that can do the same or better airflow (cfm) but it's more silent.

If you have a crappy cpu cooler that's noisy, maybe see if you can replace the fan with a more silent one....  or see if you can lower the cpu frequency

Your cpu is 65w tdp i5-3350p and scores around 4280 cpu benchmark points

if your mobo supports it you could get a e3 1265L v2 (quad core 2.5g - 3.5g, 8 mb cache, 45w tdp) for around 45$ and scores around 5200 cpu benchmark

Just throw this out there... Maybe something along the likes of a used Dell Precision laptop?  Can be found for cheap with Xeon processors and 32GB of ram.  Comes with everything you need from UPS (if the battery is any good) to keyboard, mouse and monitor.  Certainly quite if not run ragged.  Before the plug was pulled by the new owner I got a Precision 7520 for $250 to run my ESXi host as it met all the requirements for the install.

But I'm just talking out my ass.

2 hours ago, aggie113 said:

Just throw this out there... Maybe something along the likes of a used Dell Precision laptop?  Can be found for cheap with Xeon processors and 32GB of ram.  Comes with everything you need from UPS (if the battery is any good) to keyboard, mouse and monitor.  Certainly quite if not run ragged.  Before the plug was pulled by the new owner I got a Precision 7520 for $250 to run my ESXi host as it met all the requirements for the install.

Old Dell and Lenovo systems you can get for pretty good prices. 

I'm using a m920q Lenovo with an nvme drive, added a sata ssd, and 64 gb ram. Think all in I sieve about 350 on it. 

There are plenty of silent & efficient pre-built PCs available in second market. For example, I purchased a used HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF to set up my server, which operated pretty quietly (with noises nearly unnoticeable 3 meters away from it) and efficiently (drawing only ~20W with two 3.5' spinners in idle).

Such annoying noises may be due to aged fans in which the grease has been dried out. You may pump grease into their bearings, or just replace them with new, quieter ones.