Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Not sure if new aftermarket engine mount is better than 22yr old 200k mile OEM mount.

It's only $30 but I don't know...

48 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Not sure if new aftermarket engine mount is better than 22yr old 200k mile OEM mount.

It's only $30 but I don't know...

in my experience, if the oem unit is just rubber then it prob doesn't matter. if it's oil-filled then it kinda does (unless you get one that's rubber-only instead just to cut cost and don't care about a little extra vibration)

Although nowadays we have cars with motor mounts that have solenoids in them to actuate the mounts hydraulically to help cancel out vibrations/hold the motor in place when you're applying lots of torque with the go pedal. 

It's cool... just needlessly expensive in my book.

I had put cheap mounts in my civic because I didn't care. They were better than broken OEM mounts for sure! 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I'm not sure if this mount is hydro or not, can't really tell by looking at it. The aftermarket ones sure aren't tho, product info says solid mount. Mine appears to be maybe missing some rubber so I just went ahead and ordered it, $35 shipped be here to do it next week, I can do it on the ground with a floor jack on lunch and hopefully it's not worse. If it is worse I'll just send it back as defective! It's Anchor brand so pretty junk but that's like all there is, the OEM is listed as disco online by Mazda because of course the car is 22yrs old lol. I was surprised when was able to order a rear mount a while back but I guess that was used across more models than this mount.

Rather use a block of wood attached to a sardine can than aftermarket mounts. They are trash.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

39 minutes ago, vetali said:

Rather use a block of wood attached to a sardine can than aftermarket mounts. They are trash.

I agree but aftermarket is all that's left for this car and I think mine is missing a chunk going by pictures.

spacer.png

Upside down picture but the center sleeve on mine doesn't have any rubber connecting it to the rest of the mount, just hangs from the big rubber boob it's set into and the weight of the engine pulls it down against the hoop. One or two online Mazda parts dealers claim to have it for like $200, the rest say out of stock and discontinued so I doubt those dealers have it. Been down that rabbit hole with parts before, also $200 for a mount on this car just isn't worth it. I'll find out next week if it's better or worse, if nothing else it'll be more attached than it was and have less sag. Hard idle and alternator whine are how I know my engine is still running, with those gone I'll be lost!

I'd just flex seal the old one and ship it. Aftermarket you gonna feel the AC compressor engage with your teeth.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

6 minutes ago, vetali said:

I'd just flex seal the old one and ship it. Aftermarket you gonna feel the AC compressor engage with your teeth.

I feel that now. Missing rubber makes sense for why the front roll mount was sagged so bad when I replaced it a while back. If the new one sucks so much I'll repair the old one and send the new one back to Amazon as defect. Still need a mount in the car while the windo-weld cures.

Good news, timing belt, water pump, and alternator are all on and working and I drove myself home.

Bad news, R/F tire is noisy and has a small section of oddly feathered tread along with a slight vibration at specific speeds. I think it's a defect, need to call up the supplier and find out how I warranty a tire...after I look up the warranty duration and make sure it's even applicable.

Other bad news, had some coolant on the driveway under the radiator drain, not sure if dribbling drain or just coolant caught up in the drain area, I'll check it out tomorrow. I have some giant hose pinch off tools I can use to keep all the coolant in the engine when I pull the radiator drain out so I won't have to purge air from the engine.

Bad news, I did a shitty job on that last timing belt! I way over tightened the timing belt tensioner bolt which crushed the pivot and seized it up. The tensioner was never able to move and take up slack as the belt wore. Also for some reason the old belt was rubbing a rib on the casting of the water pump despite running centered on everything. This time I notched out that section of the rib so it's clear and actually looked up and used proper torque for things. I installed the paper water pump gasket with nothing on it so it hopefully doesn't get fucked up by adhesives or whatever I had used to glue it to the water pump for installation.

Expected bad news, rocker panel rust is worse than I thought, got a look at it today and there's some areas where it's all crunchy rust under the rock guard panel coating and paint. Not good but expected, it doesn't look ugly yet but it will soon. When it's time for the car to go I'll strip all my stuff off it and put it up on CL for like $500 but I don't even expect it to sell at that price and it'll probably just get driven over to a junk yard for whatever they'll give me for it. Sad.

With the belt not out of time by 1/2 a tooth because of belt stretch the engine runs a little better, idles a little smoother, and my exhaust is a little less noisy even. Somehow I also cured my power steering belt chirp that had been plaguing me since the last timing belt job, I must have had something just a little out of alignment with the P/S pump installation that I somehow corrected this time. New alternator has barely any charging whine, when it first started and I didn't hear it screaming away I thought it just wasn't charging!

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

Good news, timing belt, water pump, and alternator are all on and working and I drove myself home.

Bad news, R/F tire is noisy and has a small section of oddly feathered tread along with a slight vibration at specific speeds. I think it's a defect, need to call up the supplier and find out how I warranty a tire...after I look up the warranty duration and make sure it's even applicable.

Other bad news, had some coolant on the driveway under the radiator drain, not sure if dribbling drain or just coolant caught up in the drain area, I'll check it out tomorrow. I have some giant hose pinch off tools I can use to keep all the coolant in the engine when I pull the radiator drain out so I won't have to purge air from the engine.

Bad news, I did a shitty job on that last timing belt! I way over tightened the timing belt tensioner bolt which crushed the pivot and seized it up. The tensioner was never able to move and take up slack as the belt wore. Also for some reason the old belt was rubbing a rib on the casting of the water pump despite running centered on everything. This time I notched out that section of the rib so it's clear and actually looked up and used proper torque for things. I installed the paper water pump gasket with nothing on it so it hopefully doesn't get fucked up by adhesives or whatever I had used to glue it to the water pump for installation.

Expected bad news, rocker panel rust is worse than I thought, got a look at it today and there's some areas where it's all crunchy rust under the rock guard panel coating and paint. Not good but expected, it doesn't look ugly yet but it will soon. When it's time for the car to go I'll strip all my stuff off it and put it up on CL for like $500 but I don't even expect it to sell at that price and it'll probably just get driven over to a junk yard for whatever they'll give me for it. Sad.

With the belt not out of time by 1/2 a tooth because of belt stretch the engine runs a little better, idles a little smoother, and my exhaust is a little less noisy even. Somehow I also cured my power steering belt chirp that had been plaguing me since the last timing belt job, I must have had something just a little out of alignment with the P/S pump installation that I somehow corrected this time. New alternator has barely any charging whine, when it first started and I didn't hear it screaming away I thought it just wasn't charging!

Homer Simpson Woo Hoo by happaxgamma on DeviantArt

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

drove

What car are you working on? From the engine layout pic you posted, it's safe (although disappointing) to assume it's not the same as your name.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

What car are you working on? From the engine layout pic you posted, it's safe (although disappointing) to assume it's not the same as your name.

It's from the late 20th century. Lol.

I forgot that word is also a 'brand' of car. More like a rebadge these days.

1998 Mazda 626. It was basically free like a decade ago so I've hung onto it and put about 100k on it.

Just now, Bitter said:

More like a rebadge these days.

Yes, it's difficult to build a car from the ground up and still be a small volume maker these days. Bitter cars, the SC anyway, are nicely understated, like a Ferrari 400i

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Though I almost fucked myself, I had fingered the water pump pulley bolts into place to get the belt on to hold the pulley so I could fully tighten them to the whopping 7ftlb spec. Guess what I did not do after I put the belt on? Yeah. Realized that one at 12:30 last night, got out of bed and went out in the snow with a flashlight and a wrench to tighten the pump bolts good enough to safely get to work today so I can crank em down gooder. One was backed out a turn, the others were loose. I realized as I laid in bed that the loose pulley was probably the slightly odd noise I heard that I thought was something else making noise.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Though I almost fucked myself, I had fingered the water pump pulley bolts into place to get the belt on to hold the pulley so I could fully tighten them to the whopping 7ftlb spec. Guess what I did not do after I put the belt on? Yeah. Realized that one at 12:30 last night, got out of bed and went out in the snow with a flashlight and a wrench to tighten the pump bolts good enough to safely get to work today so I can crank em down gooder. One was backed out a turn, the others were loose. I realized as I laid in bed that the loose pulley was probably the slightly odd noise I heard that I thought was something else making noise.

That wouldn’t of been fun if you hadn’t remembered 

so much stuff to do easy to miss little things like that 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

o boi Advan finally updated the advan lineup

AD09 better wet performance than the AD08R but no dry testing yet, prob a lot closer to the AO52s now I bet. Only downside is it's asymmetrical now.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

That wouldn’t of been fun if you hadn’t remembered 

so much stuff to do easy to miss little things like that 

Especially when you're working on 2 or 3 cars at once as I often am.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

Pulled my cock out at work, put on a bigger rubber, and now it doesn't dribble.

Sir, this is a wendys.

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Sir, this is a wendys.

can I get a triple baconator with fries

I think EVs have a promising future. But for the next 10-20 years I see them remaining a major niche in the consumer space, and being king of fleet vehicles. The Rivian vans for Amazon look absolutely amazing, other than the poor glass guy responsible for replacing those windshields

0*hDeNUTIOo9uk9tDs.jpg

rivian-amazon-delivery-van.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Those darn euros have EV infrastructure on lock

Obviously thats all urban last mile stuff, but if north american infrastructure wasnt so archaic it would be really cool to see this in play

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

3 hours ago, vetali said:

Sir, this is a wendys.

One Big Mac please?

Srsly, single use oring I guess. Had to put a really fat one on it to feel it engage to the bore and seal but it's sealed now.

Pulley bolts have appropriate amount of ugga dugga as well.

For whoever needed to clean a smokers interior.

Not much of a guide but a good video nonetheless.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Car drove home successfully, just the nagging issue about the tire to address next week and the motor mount should be in as well.

Sadly, changing to a 180F thermostat did lower my heat on the highway, combined with the thicker aftermarket radiator my peak vent temp has dropped by almost 20F. However, idling vent temp has gone up, the old 190F thermostat was sticking and not fully opening till almost 205F and the fan comes on at exactly 200F so anytime I wasn't on the move the fan was on blowing cold air through the radiator. Pretty useless, had the 190 stat actually been 190 it would have worked out. It's supposed to be colder the new few weeks, if I'm really unhappy with the temps I may try to track down a 190 stat again but this time boil it in water at home to make sure it opens at the correct temp before installing it.

Oh and just because it never ends, lost right channel sound when turning left twice for some reason. Couldn't diagnose it because it came back in after a minute. Probably a loose wire down at the amp or behind the radio so I'll check that out on a lunch at work next week. A minor annoyance compared to my recent struggles lol.

13 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Those darn euros have EV infrastructure on lock

Obviously thats all urban last mile stuff, but if north american infrastructure wasnt so archaic it would be really cool to see this in play

Hard to snip snip videos out on mobile. But my big worry is exactly our infrastructure here stateside. Hell. I don't know what my office would do for us. There's days I've gotta drive 400 miles one direction to get to a jobsite. Then stay on site for 2 or so hours, and flip a trip back. What're they gonna have to start doing down the line? Sending us a night early to somewhere with a charger, making stops along the way. Go on site, find somewhere to charge again. Start heading home, and stop along the way again? Seems rough for people in positions like me where it's just go go go go go 24/7

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB