Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

Which button do I press for doubt? 98-02, a Mazda, and the dopey 626 at that. Nah, what's rusting is the frame part of the uni-body in the back where they all rust, same as the Protege's rust since the 626 was just an engorged Protege basically. There's not usually 20+ year old cars in junk yards around here, especially not something that wasn't a million a year seller like a Civic or Camry. In 1998 Mazda sold a total of 240,000 vehicles in the US, the 626 was a paltry fraction of that vs the likes of the Miata, the Ranger, the MX6, etc. It wasn't even Japan built, it rolled out of the same factory that the Mustang did. Car's a bastard but it's been pretty cheap and reliable. Got a good enough stereo in it and some good headlights, heat is hot and the AC is cold.

I suspect when car prices drop to regular levels there's probably going to be a rash of good used cars come on the market from everyone who was waiting to buy a new car. I'll find something. Possibly considering a plug in hybrid if the prices are OK.

Look I never said you're finding a whole body. Just bits of them. I imagine your welding skills are good enough to piece a Frankenstein vehicle together.

Never put much thought towards used hybrids, I have no idea how their batteries hold up over time.

1 hour ago, willies leg said:

and environmental responsibility.

Hey have Tesla managed to figure out how to make materials for batteries without destroying the environment from their sources yet? Haven't heard anything on that so far.

23 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

it will NEVER be able to do what a pc does for the reason that it never was meant to.

I dunno about you but I can't wait to mine bitcoin while driving and reduce my range to 5 miles total.

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I dunno about you but I can't wait to mine bitcoin while driving and reduce my range to 5 miles total.

Only 5 miles, that's a steal 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

So over the xmas break, I bought a neighbor's car for 200$ (2005 suzuki reno)

She's a smoker (ugh)

Anyone have any *firsthand* experience removing the smell? I'm considering an ozone generator but I'd like to work with something less dangerous...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

31 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Look I never said you're finding a whole body. Just bits of them. I imagine your welding skills are good enough to piece a Frankenstein vehicle together.

Never put much thought towards used hybrids, I have no idea how their batteries hold up over time.

Hey have Tesla managed to figure out how to make materials for batteries without destroying the environment from their sources yet? Haven't heard anything on that so far.

Yes, why yes they have.

https://www.tesla.com/ns_videos/2020-tesla-impact-report.pdf

17 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

So over the xmas break, I bought a neighbor's car for 200$ (2005 suzuki reno)

She's a smoker (ugh)

Anyone have any *firsthand* experience removing the smell? I'm considering an ozone generator but I'd like to work with something less dangerous...

Strip all the interior and go full racecar

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

6 minutes ago, willies leg said:

When you actually look past the Tesla fluff, no, they haven't, lol. I'd be interested to see what materials engineers from Tesla are actually doing to use different battery materials for sustainability.

5 minutes ago, willies leg said:

ahh yes .. lets make the numbers wrong by saying *lifetime environmental change* and not include the resource gathering and manufacturing of the batteries and will just list the manufacturers that tesla gets the batteries from .... all i can say is that it looks like teslas marketing fluff is working on some 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

When you actually look past the Tesla fluff, no, they haven't, lol. I'd be interested to see what materials engineers from Tesla are actually doing to use different battery materials for sustainability.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-tesla-batteries-exclusive/exclusive-teslas-secret-batteries-aim-to-rework-the-math-for-electric-cars-and-the-grid-idUSKBN22Q1WC

They're world leaders, again.

Fanboying is looked down upon.

Car guys respect other car guys. If you are into Americana,Japanese cars or european cars or anything in between you are welcome

And respect other peoples opinion. I do not like the 2JZ. You might. And there is nothing wrong with that

Blatantly bashing any cars from a certain market. Be it american cars,Japanese cars or european cars. without basis is dumb. And should not be done in this thread.
This is mostly because it's tiresome to read through and can start an argument. Debate is fine. Arguments are just a waste of time.

Now what was that about reading comprehension 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Alternator pivot bolt needed torch to free it and then all 300 beans of my DeWalt Atomic mid torque.

25 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Except electric isnt clean either? You still have to produce it in significant quantities one way or another and EVs still arent a feasible option for a significant amount of people in the world

Centrally generated power is easier to regulate and 'cleanify' than individual burners. It easier to swap the coal plant to natural gas to wind/solar than it is to swap 1000's of cars from gas to electric or to hybrid or to whatever. You can pick where you want to put the coal or natural gas emissions,your car just farts everything everywhere it goes. It's not perfect but it's incrementally better and it's better than doing nothing.

19 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

BMW i3, although not the best example cause of the ways BMW operates ... the car itself is supposedly a really nice one

I took one for a test drive...it's really weird.

That automatic braking threw me off. That and the price of tires.

Those two things aside, I'd love to have one, but it;s a BMW, repair costs will be stratospheric.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I took one for a test drive...it's really weird.

That automatic braking threw me off. That and the price of tires.

Those two things aside, I'd love to have one, but it;s a BMW, repair costs will be stratospheric.

Yeah the regenerative braking (i think thats what you are referring to) will throw most people off ... and the tires are just a stupid custom size that originally was made by 1 specific brand that BMW had a deal with

but yeah, its a BMW something will decide to go wrong and then the BMW will be expensive 

1 minute ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Yeah the regenerative braking (i think thats what you are referring to) will throw most people off ... and the tires are just a stupid custom size that originally was made by 1 specific brand that BMW had a deal with

but yeah, its a BMW something will decide to go wrong and then the BMW will be expensive 

The regen braking, yes correct term, my Honda CR-Z uses it but not nearly to the abrupt/aggressive limit that BMW does.

It's a shame (IMO) the EVs I;ve run across are so...un car-like. CAddy made an ill-fated one that drove and acted like a normal car, everything else I;ve encountered seems to be going out of its way to scream "look at me! I'm different!"

Again, IMO, you need to ease people, especially gear heads, into EVs, jarring shifts like the I3 is not the way to win friends.

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The regen braking, yes correct term, my Honda CR-Z uses it but not nearly to the abrupt/aggressive limit that BMW does.

It's a shame (IMO) the EVs I;ve run across are so...un car-like. CAddy made an ill-fated one that drove and acted like a normal car, everything else I;ve encountered seems to be going out of its way to scream "look at me! I'm different!"

Again, IMO, you need to ease people, especially gear heads, into EVs, jarring shifts like the I3 is not the way to win friends.

regarding gearheads ... if you are into motorcycles ... look at Zero motorcycles and Energica motorcycles .. they are freaking cool. Similar tech to what EV cars have, yet in the 2 wheeled form. But generally i agree, from what i know most EV cars tend to be targeted to be appliances not cars 

29 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

regarding gearheads ... if you are into motorcycles ... look at Zero motorcycles and Energica motorcycles .. they are freaking cool. Similar tech to what EV cars have, yet in the 2 wheeled form. But generally i agree, from what i know most EV cars tend to be targeted to be appliances not cars 

Here's a fun fact I actually use the workshop where Zero Engineering was first founded, They sold the name to the US motorcycle maker and the premises to my business partner when the owner retired. They used to make a tiny little roadster based on a fiat 126 and there was one in the corner when we first moved in, On the deeds it's down as a motor works so you can do just about what you want there. here's video about one

Pete

1 minute ago, 711jrp said:

Here's a fun fact I actually use the workshop where Zero Engineering was first founded, They sold the name to the US motorcycle maker and the premises to my business partner when the owner retired. They used to make a tiny little roadster based on a fiat 126 and there was one in the corner when we first moved in, On the deeds it's down as a motor works so you can do just about what you want there. here's video about one

holy shit that is freaking cool

3 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

holy shit that is freaking cool

It's defiantly an interesting little story especially as the the us company is gaining a good bit of traction now.

Pete

4 minutes ago, 711jrp said:

It's defiantly an interesting little story especially as the the us company is gaining a good bit of traction now.

id like to get an EV motorcycle or even a car, but i cant exactly charge it ... cause of the infrastructure over here not being there yet ... plus i live in an apartment where i cant get a charger to my vehicle 😞

9 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

cause of the infrastructure over here not being there yet ... plus i live in an apartment where i cant get a charger to my vehicle

Yeah but that dont matter cause like, ice cars are getting banned so tough shit 

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Yeah but that dont matter cause like, ice cars are getting banned so tough shit 

at least not yet .. my country has nothing planned regarding banning ICE cars apart from needing to follow the EU rules 😂

1 minute ago, PandaCopyRight said:

needing to follow the EU rules 😂

Ironically enough, thats what the UK still seems to be doing

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Ironically enough, thats what the UK still seems to be doing

yeah, i dont get it ... yall yeeted out of the EU, yet still follow the EU stuff?  why the fuck did yall yeet out of the EU then? 

They needed control over their borders again. And in the meanwhile they are also trying to get people to immigrate because they need workers. Smortn't

"an obvious supporter of privacy"