Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Screenshot_2017-07-23-19-12-51.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Guy sold the Supra :(

My dad says I should finance a car, best way to build credit. Just need to make sure I will have a job first.

3 hours ago, FuzzyYellow said:

Because 5 speed lyfe 

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The gearing ratios of top gear is fairly low. 65 mph puts me at about 2750-2800 rpm. 80 mph puts me at around 3500 rpm. Miatas and some econoboxes tend to have even shorter ratios. Modern automatics tend to have much taller gearing when in top gear, which is why they've been exceeding mpg ratings of their manual counterparts. 

Oh my god. I need to be in third gear intentionally to do that and I think I'm still under 4k RPM.. Even the Mustang wasn't geared that short and that was a transmission out of the 80s basically.

36 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Oh my god. I need to be in third gear intentionally to do that and I think I'm still under 4k RPM.. Even the Mustang wasn't geared that short and that was a transmission out of the 80s basically.

You haven't driven many econoboxes then, apparently.

2.0L NA engine vs what I assume to be at least a >3.0 V6 if not a V8. The engine itself doesn't produce much torque, so it needs gearing (and rpm) to do so. Many small NA engines are geared this way. Given the hills and twisties I commute through, my car has enough power to deal with it and keep up with the other locals given proper gear selection, but only just. A straight uphill climb from full stop to the 55 mph limit does see full throttle and 5-6k rpm. :P

Modern cars carry speed quite well in curves, so I can keep momentum and climb tighter Hills in 3rd gear to save some gas (downshifting to 2nd would be costly here). Even if the power is low, so long as I keep good tires on it, there shouldn't be an issue, just need to keep above 2.4k rpm. Understeer while holding 3rd becomes a challenge when it's wet (wish all cars came with LSD), but easily manageable with a steady hand and foot. I've had the front tires start slipping a bit in the wet before during these climbs, but not enough to trigger traction control (aka, the "you did something wrong light"). 

Turbo cars with smaller engines tend to geared longer, both for gas mileage, and the fact that turbo engines make copious quantities of torque for their size, so they can get away with less aggressive gearing. You may have more experience with these than with small NA engines. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 hours ago, terrytek said:

@bcredeur97 look what i found for sale in my area xD https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/mazda-mx-miata-se-ls/6230886554.html anything familiar?

Lol that's funny even almost the same mileage. He has the bilsteins tho... Why didn't he just put konis ? Lol

6 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Ooooo he's got the 6 disk CD changer 

I do too xD don't use it though lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, byalexandr said:

Guy sold the Supra :(

My dad says I should finance a car, best way to build credit. Just need to make sure I will have a job first.

So long as you can see the future, I don't tend to have a problem with people that choose to finance. Though a higher cost, you are better able to get a car you want with less time investment, and reduced likelihood of things going wrong. 

That said, the payments themselves can be quite crippling if you're overly ambitious and lack foresight, not to mention that you will inevitably pay more in the end. Insurance will also be much higher due to the requirement of collision coverage. 

Car enthusiasts are more able to spot problems with used cars up for sale, so relatively few of this group will willingly finance a car unless they really want a particular model. 

My eyes see the past…

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Lol that's funny even almost the same mileage. He has the bilsteins tho... Why didn't he just put konis ? Lol

I do too xD don't use it though lol

basically a distant twin lol but it was so surprising pretty much an exact copy. and why konis over bilsteins? i thought the former would be better than the latter?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Started off with Rain... And getting lost on the track because no chalk or anything; it was kind of terrible and on my third run I was thinking about leaving because the track was super complex and laid out horribly enough that no one knew where to go. I remember towards the end of my third run throwing my hands up and yelling "WHERE THE HECK DO YOU FLIPPING GO" lol

I DNF'D all 3 first runs. So I decided to ride with Neil through the second heat instead of working (who wants to work in the rain anyway xD sorry people) and from us finally figuring the stupid course out I was able to put down 3 nice dry times in the second heat. 

Oh and I rode in an auto E36 M3 and also a manual E36 M3.... No comparison the manual was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster. And holy crap I love that flipping car it made me really want one lol.... It handles as well as mine does but has so much torque and the sound... It's glorious 

My fastest was my last which I consider to be a good thing... Supposedly only a little over a second off of Zack (that crazy fast guy I always mention) so pax will be interesting lol

Oh and Neil broke his Sierra @vinyldash303, on his second to last run it just died right before he crossed the finish and wouldn't restart... Kinda wanted to after sitting for a bit butjust didnt. Thinking fuel pump or jumped timing but who knows (it has 250k miles! XD) 

Awesome thing about how slow the truck is; is it gives you plenty of time to think about your actions. And also study the course. It's like racing in slow motion kinda lol

OH!!! And the guy in the Aston Martin went spinning off the course and Into the weeds and threw mud like 15 feet in the air... Glorious accident and surprised he wasn't stuck haha

And I need a new shelf...

IMG_20170723_204753.jpg

IMG_20170723_153510.jpg

IMG_20170723_141004.jpg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

basically a distant twin lol but it was so surprising pretty much an exact copy. and why konis over bilsteins? i thought the former would be better than the latter?

The bilsteins are more comfort optimized because they were made for OEM miatas. 

They are good, better than the stockers for sure. Just not as good as revalved bilsteins or koni yellows

Spoiler

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

The bilsteins on matts truck have a 300 mile break in period. They get more 'right' after that. 

They are more for comfort/off roat though. 

matts truck is lifted and stupid now tho. it'll never be "good" per say

Spoiler

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Well thats awesome. Water pump fucked up today. There goes $70 in the pump and antifreese. Just what I needed while rewiring the boat trailer. Tomorrow the water pump and oil are getting changed. 

on your S10? ouch. :/ 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

He bought a 2wd. New. Enough said. 

no he has a 4WD denali.... because stupid. remember? 

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Started off with Rain... And getting lost on the track because no chalk or anything; it was kind of terrible and on my third run I was thinking about leaving because the track was super complex and laid out horribly enough that no one knew where to go. I remember towards the end of my third run throwing my hands up and yelling "WHERE THE HECK DO YOU FLIPPING GO" lol

I DNF'D all 3 first runs. So I decided to ride with Neil through the second heat instead of working (who wants to work in the rain anyway xD sorry people) and from us finally figuring the stupid course out I was able to put down 3 nice dry times in the second heat. 

Oh and I rode in an auto E36 M3 and also a manual E36 M3.... No comparison the manual was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster. And holy crap I love that flipping car it made me really want one lol.... It handles as well as mine does but has so much torque and the sound... It's glorious 

My fastest was my last which I consider to be a good thing... Supposedly only a little over a second off of Zack (that crazy fast guy I always mention) so pax will be interesting lol

Oh and Neil broke his Sierra @vinyldash303, on his second to last run it just died right before he crossed the finish and wouldn't restart... Kinda wanted to after sitting for a bit butjust didnt. Thinking fuel pump or jumped timing but who knows (it has 250k miles! XD) 

Awesome thing about how slow the truck is; is it gives you plenty of time to think about your actions. And also study the course. It's like racing in slow motion kinda lol

OH!!! And the guy in the Aston Martin went spinning off the course and Into the weeds and threw mud like 15 feet in the air... Glorious accident and surprised he wasn't stuck haha

And I need a new shelf...

lol all those miatas dominating the podium :P

and holy shit how does a pretty much brand new truck rack up that many miles jeez? like it hasn't been 2 years and he's racked up that many miles?

37 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The bilsteins are more comfort optimized because they were made for OEM miatas. 

They are good, better than the stockers for sure. Just not as good as revalved bilsteins or koni yellows

well i mean as long as they are still moderately stiff they should be fine, right?

34 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Well thats awesome. Water pump fucked up today. There goes $70 in the pump and antifreese. Just what I needed while rewiring the boat trailer. Tomorrow the water pump and oil are getting changed. 

what happened man? did it like blow some hole or something?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

honestly this is how my parents will react if i ever get in a crash.

New to cars! (Only took me 4603 pages to find this thread!) 

I got a 2011 ford fusion back in November, it's my very first car so yay debt but also yay something of my own! Huge fan of ford shifting the fusion toward electric , and espically fords commitment to a self driving cruise control for it's 2021 model year hopefully!

With it I'm really growing to want to learn more about cars, I started watching top gear/the grand tour, and the Mclaren p1 is just so freakin BA. But a more realastic dream car is I'd love to get a model 3!

A small favor to ask, does anyone know any good youtube series to learn more about how cars work? I know the basics of  moar hp is bettar, and basically anything you can pick up from watching 10 seasons of "the trio" praddle around like idiots, but I really don't understand 90% of the beauty of these machines, other than what I catch from threads like this :DD

6 minutes ago, TrashPanda45 said:

I got a 2011 ford fusion back in November, it's my very first car so yay debt but also yay something of my own! Huge fan of ford shifting the fusion toward electric , and espically fords commitment to a self driving cruise control for it's 2021 model year hopefully!

With it I'm really growing to want to learn more about cars, I started watching top gear/the grand tour, and the Mclaren p1 is just so freakin BA. But a more realastic dream car is I'd love to get a model 3!

A small favor to ask, does anyone know any good youtube series to learn more about how cars work? I know the basics of  moar hp is bettar, and basically anything you can pick up from watching 10 seasons of "the trio" praddle around like idiots, but I really don't understand 90% of the beauty of these machines, other than what I catch from threads like this :DD

Engineering Explained, Eric The Car Guy (i think he's leaving YT though iirc, so no new vids?), and that's all that comes to mind.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

Engineering Explained, Eric The Car Guy (i think he's leaving YT though iirc, so no new vids?), and that's all that comes to mind.

Just did a quick youtube of eric the car guy, any order you'd recommend in particular for his playlist? I'd hate to jump into the engine and find out I should have learned about transmission first.

10 minutes ago, TrashPanda45 said:

I would answer you but I only speak race car. None of that self driving stuff I don't care about. 

But that said more horsepower isn't necessarily better... Just more fun. But it depends on the use case of the car. For street driving you don't realistically need more than 400 hp for anything under 5k pounds.. even that is quite a bit, it's a good maximum tho

You won't be using 400hp like ever... Maybe 1% of the time when you do a pull 

Spoiler

I need to do something about my driver's seat in ma car. 

Hard to concentrate at autocross when your too worried about your uncomfortable seating position. Can never get comfortable in my car. 

Oddly enough it's easy to get comfortable in the passenger seat just not the drivers seat for whatever stupid reason... Oh yeah there's a steering wheel in your lap

Need to just do a foamectomy I guess.. I just don't know if that would be enough... I'd love to put a different seat period but nooooo can't do that lol

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I would answer you but I only speak race car. None of that self driving stuff I don't care about. 

But that said more horsepower isn't necessarily better... Just more fun. But it depends on the use case of the car. For street driving you don't realistically need more than 400 hp for anything under 5k pounds

Me and my coworker(a huge corvette fan) had a huge argument over this the other day; I really think everything has it's place.

For the future of transportation self driving isn't leaveing, I think 20->50 years in the future human driving will be illegal, or at least beginning to be phased out.

That said, petrolheads will NEVER give up their babies, so I think roadways for fun, or mabye even just tracks designed espically for people who want the thrill of "manual" driving are going to rise up.

As much as I love the idea of a model 3 or such taking me everywhere whilst I did all my homework I was supposed to do last night, I would do unspeakable things to get behind the wheel of a hypercar(or even something like a hellcat/demon honestly) and cause some rukus.

didn't know this motor existed (turbo is aftermarket). Sounds neat. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 minutes ago, TrashPanda45 said:

Me and my coworker(a huge corvette fan) had a huge argument over this the other day; I really think everything has it's place.

For the future of transportation self driving isn't leaveing, I think 20->50 years in the future human driving will be illegal, or at least beginning to be phased out.

That said, petrolheads will NEVER give up their babies, so I think roadways for fun, or mabye even just tracks designed espically for people who want the thrill of "manual" driving are going to rise up.

As much as I love the idea of a model 3 or such taking me everywhere whilst I did all my homework I was supposed to do last night, I would do unspeakable things to get behind the wheel of a hypercar(or even something like a hellcat/demon honestly) and cause some rukus.

honestly i do not like the idea of a computer driving my car. like i hate these people who came up with such systems in the first place. but this is my opinion. like i don't think computers have a place in driving a car. like i'll accept a computer controlling how the car works, but i do not approve of one driving. 

9 minutes ago, TrashPanda45 said:

Just did a quick youtube of eric the car guy, any order you'd recommend in particular for his playlist? I'd hate to jump into the engine and find out I should have learned about transmission first.

not really, but really any video he makes is very informative. also if your specific car has an issue you don't know how to fix, if your car is pretty common, just look up a how to video describing how to fix your issue.

18 minutes ago, terrytek said:

honestly i do not like the idea of a computer driving my car. like i hate these people who came up with such systems in the first place. but this is my opinion. like i don't think computers have a place in driving a car. like i'll accept a computer controlling how the car works, but i do not approve of one driving. 

not really, but really any video he makes is very informative. also if your specific car has an issue you don't know how to fix, if your car is pretty common, just look up a how to video describing how to fix your issue.

People that don't like doing something tend not to be very good at it. Case in point, driving. For many, driving is a necessity, rather than fun. They must drive to do what they want. These sorts of people are the easily distracted, or otherwise kind of terrible drivers that self driving cars could do away with. 

Those that enjoy doing a particular activity tend to be relatively good at it. Driving is no exception either, with the particular exception of those boy-racers. 

With this in mind, I believe AI and humans can co-exist on our roads. 

My eyes see the past…

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

People that don't like doing something tend not to be very good at it. Case in point, driving. For many, driving is a necessity, rather than fun. They must drive to do what they want. These sorts of people are the easily distracted, or otherwise kind of terrible drivers that self driving cars could do away with. 

Those that enjoy doing a particular activity tend to be relatively good at it. Driving is no exception either, with the particular exception of those boy-racers. 

With this in mind, I believe AI and humans can co-exist on our roads. 

ok, then they should allow the good drivers to keep driving their non computer interfering human driving cars, and the people who have a record of being bad drivers be not allowed to drive their own car. like i think it's a good idea. let the people who drive well keep driving (more than likely it's gonna be the people who enjoy driving and those who are veteran drivers) and those who have bad records be not allowed to drive non-self driving cars. of course you'd still be able to drive a self driving car if you're good and tired of driving.