Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Skimmed the last few pages while eating breakfast in McDonald's.

Hey look, Provo.

20161202_070954.jpg

Did you know it's cold?

16 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

Assetto Addiction is in full swing.....

I seriously cant stop playing assetto corsa....

Must be nice. if i had the money i'd be spending my life sitting in front of my computer, attached to a tube and pee bottle, constantly playing AC.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Must be nice. if i had the money i'd be spending my life sitting in front of my computer, attached to a tube and pee bottle, constantly playing AC.

TMI

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

58 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

So... Nico Rosberg just announced he would be retiring from Formula 1, effective immediately, after winning the World Drivers Championship for 2016. He claims the reason for such a sudden decision is he's reached his goal of becoming a F1 World Champion, a feat that his father Keke Rosberg also achieved back in the day. Now he just wants to focus on being a husband to his wife Vivian.

Nico has been with Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 since 2010 and has completed 206 grand prix during his career, winning 23 of them.

You can go to his facebook page below to read his full statement, which I have copied here as well.

Reveal hidden contents

Nico Rosberg:
“Since 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my ‘one thing’ to become Formula One World Champion. Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target.And now I’ve made it. I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right. My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen.

“This season, I tell you, it was so damn tough. I pushed like crazy in every area after the disappointments of the last two years; they fuelled my motivation to levels I had never experienced before. And of course that had an impact on the ones I love, too – it was a whole family effort of sacrifice, putting everything behind our target. I cannot find enough words to thank my wife Vivian; she has been incredible. She understood that this year was the big one, our opportunity to do it, and created the space for me to get full recovery between every race, looking after our daughter each night, taking over when things got tough and putting ourchampionship first.

“When I won the race in Suzuka, from the moment when the destiny of the title was in my own hands, the big pressure started and I began to think about ending my racing career if I became World Champion. On Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi, I knew that it could be my last race and that feeling cleared my head before the start. I wanted to enjoy every part of the experience, knowing it might be the last time… and then the lights went out and I had the most intense 55 laps of my life. I took my decision on Monday evening. After reflecting for a day, the first people I told were Vivian and Georg (Nolte, from Nico’s management team), followed by Toto.

“The only thing that makes this decision in any way difficult for me is because I am putting my racing family into a toughsituation. But Toto understood. He knew straight away that I was completely convinced and that reassured me. My proudest achievement in racing will always be to have won the world championship with this incredible team of people,the Silver Arrows.

“Now, I’m just here to enjoy the moment. There is time tosavour the next weeks, to reflect on the season and to enjoy every experience that comes my way. After that, I will turn the next corner in my life and see what it has in store for me…”

@MEC-777

I.... don't know what to say. I'm sad for the massive shoes he has left to fill, yet glad he is leaving on a high note and has decided to focus on his family. 

Was looking forward to watching him battle with Hamilton, Verstappen and the likes next year. :( 

Now, who do you think will take his place? He left a massive pair of shoes to fill. 

33 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

Assetto Addiction is in full swing.....

I seriously cant stop playing assetto corsa....

It is good, isn't it. ;) They have the best and most realistically detailed track models of all the racing sims, IMO. And the best engine sounds.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

8 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

I.... don't know what to say. I'm sad for the massive shoes he has left to fill, yet glad he is leaving on a high note and has decided to focus on his family. 

Was looking forward to watching him battle with Hamilton, Verstappen and the likes next year. :( 

Now, who do you think will take his place? He left a massive pair of shoes to fill. 

It is good, isn't it. ;) They have the best and most realistically detailed track models of all the racing sims, IMO. And the best engine sounds.  

If only i had a wheel and the nesecary skills to go fast :(

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

I got the DLC for Apex yesterday and was drifting a GT350R around the Nurbergring. 

I took my "slick conditions" course earlier today, drove an Audi q5 on an ice course and the driving instructor was "mildly" suprized when he initiated a slide and i instinctively corrected it before he could tell me to do so... (He then told me to make a controlled slide and bring the car back in again, he just about shat himself (i almost did too, i was a tad bit too hard on the throttle) but i managed to get it back under control)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

24 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Yeah, I was never a Rosberg fan but I massively respect his decision. He is a family man first, if all his emphasis on this being "our championship." They gave up a lot this year to ensure Nico had the best chance of clinching the title, meaning Vivian would have been taking care of most of the parental duties. 

Merc has less than four weeks to finalize a driver and for sure they have a shortlist planned already. If both Hamilton and Toto knew about the retirement before the press conference, they definitely have people on call at this point. You can immediately count out a replacement coming from DTM or the lower half of their customer teams, which means someone likely to have ties to a top GP2 effort would get the call. A works drive is no joke but we shouldn't count out some of their GT teams like ART and HTP. 

For now they can throw on Hamilton for testing duties. Who fills the second seat will no doubt be signing into a #2 driver contract, but it's all speculation at this point. People are still getting to grasp with the retirement rather than his replacement. 

Inb4 Maldonado signs with Mercedes for 2017. Who has the psychological advantage now, my friend.

As much as I'd love Alonso to sign with Hamilton again, I really want him to end his glory years of F1 in a competitive McLaren-Honda. By the time the new regs are sorted out in 2018, move on to WEC to  welcome in new LMP1 regs and let new blood into F1 to join the likes of Stroll and Ocon. 

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

25 minutes ago, carguy86 said:

I took my "slick conditions" course earlier today, drove an Audi q5 on an ice course and the driving instructor was "mildly" suprized when he initiated a slide and i instinctively corrected it before he could tell me to do so... (He then told me to make a controlled slide and bring the car back in again, he just about shat himself (i almost did too, i was a tad bit too hard on the throttle) but i managed to get it back under control)

why do you guys get to do all the fun driving tests? lol it's not fair!!!

great job though lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Aha well that was unexpected. Never would I have imagined an official photog would ever see my stuff. 

@MEC-777 @bcredeur97

Pete was behind the wheel of this Subaru when it went off early in the morning. 

f0xiwbp45cx8qyn26vlw.jpgScreenshot_2016-12-02-10-45-54.png

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

31 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Yeah, I was never a Rosberg fan but I massively respect his decision. He is a family man first, if all his emphasis on this being "our championship." They gave up a lot this year to ensure Nico had the best chance of clinching the title, meaning Vivian would have been taking care of most of the parental duties. 

Merc has less than four weeks to finalize a driver and for sure they have a shortlist planned already. If both Hamilton and Toto knew about the retirement before the press conference, they definitely have people on call at this point. You can immediately count out a replacement coming from DTM or the lower half of their customer teams, which means someone likely to have ties to a top GP2 effort would get the call. A works drive is no joke but we shouldn't count out some of their GT teams like ART and HTP. 

For now they can throw on Hamilton for testing duties. Who fills the second seat will no doubt be signing into a #2 driver contract, but it's all speculation at this point. People are still getting to grasp with the retirement rather than his replacement. 

Inb4 Maldonado signs with Mercedes for 2017. Who has the psychological advantage now, my friend.

As much as I'd love Alonso to sign with Hamilton again, I really want him to end his glory years of F1 in a competitive McLaren-Honda. By the time the new regs are sorted out in 2018, move on to WEC to  welcome in new LMP1 regs and let new blood into F1 to join the likes of Stroll and Ocon. 

Im up for grabs if mercedes want me :P

Lol even if that ever became possible, I wouldnt become an F1 driver

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

5 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Im up for grabs if mercedes want me :P

Lol even if that ever became possible, I wouldnt become an F1 driver

GT racing is a lot more fun :)

Folding@Home | BOINC

My current daily driver.. '14 BMW 328i Msport... with my deep impact blue '14 Mustang GT in the back. No longer have the 'stang, but certianly miss it. :(

mustangbmw.jpg

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

why do you guys get to do all the fun driving tests? lol it's not fair!!!

great job though lol

in Latvia there is a driving school that has lessons on a skidpad ... like legit teaches you how to handle sliding ... but its quite expensive ... so people usually go for the typical one where you drive ont he roads and you encounter stuff depending on the weather 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

12 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

agreed ^_^

F1 is great but it looks a lot more tiresome as well.. cars are so fast they beat you up quite a bit

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

agreed ^_^

F1 is great but it looks a lot more tiresome as well.. cars are so fast they beat you up quite a bit

The V6 cars are easier to drive, believe it or not. Compared to the V10 era, the chassis now does most of the physical work rather than exerting 7-8G on the driver over a weekend.

Granted, the task of driving the car is still tough over a 1.5 hour race distance. Drivers still lose a couple of kilos in water weight.

Folding@Home | BOINC

31 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Aha well that was unexpected. Never would I have imagined an official photog would ever see my stuff. 

@MEC-777 @bcredeur97

Pete was behind the wheel of this Subaru when it went off early in the morning. 

f0xiwbp45cx8qyn26vlw.jpgScreenshot_2016-12-02-10-45-54.png

I need to work Tall Pines again sometime. I haven't worked a rally since I moved to Virginia unfortunetly. Hoping to make it to STPR next spring though. Cool to see that Peter MacDonald is racing now. I remember meeting him briefly at 2013 Rally of the Tall Pines when he was at my Media location on Upper Hastings (I'm one of the mobile radio operators you see spread throughout the stages). Remember he commented on some of the photos I posted on /r/rally.

6 minutes ago, TopDollar said:

I need to work Tall Pines again sometime. I haven't worked a rally since I moved to Virginia unfortunetly. Hoping to make it to STPR next spring though. Cool to see that Peter MacDonald is racing now. I remember meeting him briefly at 2013 Rally of the Tall Pines when he was at my Media location on Upper Hastings (I'm one of the mobile radio operators you see spread throughout the stages). Remember he commented on some of the photos I posted on /r/rally.

You should totally come up some time! Though be warned, our weather has been pretty wonky these past few years. 

AFAIK Pete started racing this year but still shoots from time to time. I've never met him in person, but I see a lot of his stuff from CDNRally. With the whole ARA situation, and the fact that Pastrana is coming back North in 2017 for the opening round in Quebec and again for the next Tall Pines, I'm expecting a lot more American interest for Canadian rally next year - which is very exciting.

Folding@Home | BOINC

I'm really wondering if 18x7s will fit with the 1.6 inch drop, and actually look good, I know it'll fit but with them being 2 inches bigger than what's currently on my car IDK if they'll look good. Anyone know?

Well nvm, here's a Viggen that's lowered by the looks of it with 18x7.5s, so I should be good

00v0v_k1lwC0oneL9_600x450.jpg

I really like the look of these BBS RK1s tbh

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

Never been to keen on F1, much prefer touring cars and rallying. Maybe one day ill achieve my dream of becoming a racing driver. 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

40 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I'm really wondering if 18x7s will fit with the 1.6 inch drop, and actually look good, I know it'll fit but with them being 2 inches bigger than what's currently on my car IDK if they'll look good. Anyone know?

Well nvm, here's a Viggen that's lowered by the looks of it with 18x7.5s, so I should be good

00v0v_k1lwC0oneL9_600x450.jpg

I really like the look of these BBS RK1s tbh

swedish cars seem to pull off BBS wheels quite well  (factory Volvo S40 T4 BBS R16 wheels )

Spoiler

iphonecamera519.jpg 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

19 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

swedish cars seem to pull off BBS wheels quite well  (factory Volvo S40 T4 BBS R16 wheels )

Reveal hidden contents

iphonecamera519.jpg 

talking about BBS wheels ... these seem to be quite rare and found only on gen1 T4 Volvo S40 

idk about other countries .. but here i couldnt find any for sale ... except with a whole car xD 

Here's an Aero with 18x8s with 225s and no rubbing. Any suggestions for wheels if I can't find Cobalt SS wheels or C4 wheels? Either in 17s or 18s, 5x110 with a 65.1mm center bore and the stock offset on these cars is about 35mm. Suggestions? 

5lvZ1Zr.1.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

2 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

The V6 cars are easier to drive, believe it or not. Compared to the V10 era, the chassis now does most of the physical work rather than exerting 7-8G on the driver over a weekend.

Granted, the task of driving the car is still tough over a 1.5 hour race distance. Drivers still lose a couple of kilos in water weight.

Next year it will be more work for the drivers with the wider tires and a bit more downforce. Some of the high-speed corners they are expecting upwards of 25mph+ higher speeds vs the 2016 cars.  I'm quite pumped up for F1 in 2017. :) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS