Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

8 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

imho it didnt even look good 

i mean i thought it looked good. but i think it tried to compete with tesla's model s, and failed, TERRIBLY.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

hmm, that seems weird since some people say the quality of bluetooth audio is absolute shit. i mean, they absolutely shit on bluetooth audio. but i think it's fine, according to my mini bluetooth speaker. i think i'll give bluetooth streaming a try in a car. i'll maybe buy a bluetooth to 3.5 dongle and see how it ends up.

Seems fine in a car. ymmv

I'm running the beta ios 10 and its got terrible bluetooth connectivity. Takes like 3 minutes to connect to my receiver, which is a usb powered bluetooth dongle that hooks into the aux. I would run just aux but I like media controls.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 minute ago, vetali said:

I'm running the beta ios 10 and its got terrible bluetooth connectivity. Takes like 3 minutes to connect to my receiver, which is a usb powered bluetooth dongle that hooks into the aux. I would run just aux but I like media controls.

no problems here with bluetooth on my phone and my dad's A6...

Quality is good. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

hmm. maybe it's just the dongle is terrible at connecting. my bluetooth speaker takes less than a minute to link up with my laptop. but if i stream music through bluetooth, will i be able to control playback with the car stereo controls, or will i still have to use my phone, like if i went with just the 3.5mm jack?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

no problems here with bluetooth on my phone and my dad's A6...

Quality is good. 

I forgot to reply, but its not a German car without a warning light on. 

Maybe the dongle is bad, though the conectivity issue is definitely related to ios 10, ios 9 had hiccups but usually connected in a few mins. I also use spotify over apple music because that UI is trash. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

btw im using one of these in my miata: https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Sony-Cassette-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B0057YDNQ2

except I bought it on ebay for literally $5 shipped (xD).  (well I bought the older walkman version which is supposedly a little better)

It completely surprised me. It's Better than FM radio quality! Totally worth it if you have an old car that can take cassette tapes.

/cc @terrytek

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I forgot to reply, but its not a German car without a warning light on. 

Maybe the dongle is bad, though the conectivity issue is definitely related to ios 10, ios 9 had hiccups but usually connected in a few mins. I also use spotify over apple music because that UI is trash. 

iOS 10 is in beta so that's understandable(this is why you don't put beta software on your daily driver devices xD) . Im sure itll be fixed when the GM is released. As for me im still on jailbroken iOS 9.0.2 lol (my dad as well)

haha my dad just hasn't checked/topped off the tires since he got it. None of them are flat, perhaps just a little low or they are unevenly filled. Supposedly the warning light goes off after only like a 3 psi difference lol

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

hmm. maybe it's just the dongle is terrible at connecting. my bluetooth speaker takes less than a minute to link up with my laptop. but if i stream music through bluetooth, will i be able to control playback with the car stereo controls, or will i still have to use my phone, like if i went with just the 3.5mm jack?

Mine has media controls on the dongle.

http://www.taotronics.com/bluetooth-car-kit.html

Its that. Media controls are really laggy though. If you wana go backwards like more than 4 songs it gets really laggy. 

Its that. Media controls are really laggy though. If you wana go backwards like more than 4 songs it gets really laggy. 

You just gave me an idea... plug in phone with aux cord for optimal quality then have a set of bluetooth controls that perhaps stick on somewhere in the car..

no thats a bad idea...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

iOS 10 is in beta so that's understandable(this is why you don't put beta software on your daily driver devices xD) . Im sure itll be fixed when the GM is released. As for me im still on jailbroken iOS 9.0.2 lol (my dad as well)

haha my dad just hasn't checked/topped off the tires since he got it. None of them are flat, perhaps just a little low or they are unevenly filled. Supposedly the warning light goes off after only like a 3 psi difference lol

I never really have issues using beta software aside from Apple... their betas are very unpolished. Really don't like the new notifications. Its WAY too hard to read at a distance. Like in my toolbox drawer I open it and press the home button, and I can't read shit at like 20 inches away. Its bad. And yeah, the new auto on feature doesn't just work with light, you have to physically pick it up and move it for it to turn on. 

Or its a sensor that costs 300 dollars to reprogram because you ran over a speed bump too fast.

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

huh i saw that brand on amazon, but it wasn't that one. but i do like that one very much. i actually want it for the corolla, but sadly since the protege has no aux capability (yet), this won't work.

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

btw im using one of these in my miata: https://www.amazon.com/Quality-Sony-Cassette-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B0057YDNQ2

except I bought it on ebay for literally $5 shipped (xD).  (well I bought the older walkman version which is supposedly a little better)

It completely surprised me. It's Better than FM radio quality! Totally worth it if you have an old car that can take cassette tapes.

/cc @terrytek

i would buy that for the protege, if it had a tape deck, which it could have been fitted with, but being an es model, it has a 6cd changer instead.

I never really have issues using beta software aside from Apple... their betas are very unpolished. Really don't like the new notifications. Its WAY too hard to read at a distance. Like in my toolbox drawer I open it and press the home button, and I can't read shit at like 20 inches away. Its bad. And yeah, the new auto on feature doesn't just work with light, you have to physically pick it up and move it for it to turn on. 

Or its a sensor that costs 300 dollars to reprogram because you ran over a speed bump too fast.

:( guess ill be waiting for iOS 10 to be jailbroken before I upgrade just so I can fix all these issues you speak of if apple doesn't fix them lol

LOL I doubt it. And if that's the case it'll just be ignored. It's just TPMS... 

Speaking of which the TPMS is broken in the suburban. No one in the house cares xD We just fill up the tires every now and then. and if there is a flat we'll know as soon as we pull away lol

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

huh i saw that brand on amazon, but it wasn't that one. but i do like that one very much. i actually want it for the corolla, but sadly since the protege has no aux capability (yet), this won't work.

i would buy that for the protege, if it had a tape deck, which it could have been fitted with, but being an es model, it has a 6cd changer instead.

I have a 6 disc cd changer AND a tape deck. funnily enough the tape deck is more useful for me LOL

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

I have a 6 disc cd changer AND a tape deck. funnily enough the tape deck is more useful for me LOL

that's weird. i mean i probably got the same exact stereo as the nb miata, just a different color. but i think i'll just buy a gta car kit that works with apple lightning devices and bluetooth, both separate accessories.

@RevoltTrain i totally forgot i created this cool little prelude in street legal racing. it's not much, just lowered, and fitted with an "acura nsx" (in quotes because it's just a general v6 block that looks and sounds like an nsx)Unlimited344_thumb.jpgUnlimited346_thumb.jpgUnlimited348_thumb.jpgUnlimited353_thumb.jpg

15 minutes ago, terrytek said:

that's weird. i mean i probably got the same exact stereo as the nb miata, just a different color. but i think i'll just buy a gta car kit that works with apple lightning devices and bluetooth, both separate accessories.

The screen on my stereo is all messed up too. The text is like invisible unless you push down on the screen (I guess the layers sepersted from heating/cooling). So searching for fm stations is fun lol. And I don't even bother setting the clock on it haha. But now since I got my tape adapter I just use my phone and I never have to touch anything but the volume knob. 

I thought abouts GTA Car kit myself but the above issue kept me away from it. I may one day put in a single din with gauges underneath or a nice double din if I have the money. Depends on what I want to do though. Gauges would be cool. I've always wanted a wideband sensor/display (even on a stock car) because I'm geeky

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The screen on my stereo is all messed up too. The text is like invisible unless you push down on the screen (I guess the layers sepersted from heating/cooling). So searching for fm stations is fun lol. And I don't even bother setting the clock on it haha. But now since I got my tape adapter I just use my phone and I never have to touch anything but the volume knob. 

I thought abouts GTA Car kit myself but the above issue kept me away from it. I may one day put in a single din with gauges underneath or a nice double din if I have the money. Depends on what I want to do though. Gauges would be cool. I've always wanted a wideband sensor/display (even on a stock car) because I'm geeky

lol mine still works just fine screen and all. so i think i'll go with a GTA car kit, since my original stereo works, and it actually flows with the rest of the design of the interior, like it doesn't draw attention. it's definitely cheaper than getting a dual din touchscreen stereo for the same function, which easily eclipses 200 bucks. this kit, only 90 bucks, plus the 30-40 needed for bluetooth/lightning adapters is still cheaper than going with a whole new stereo that might junk out after months. and before you say it, no, i don't ever plan on getting a single din stereo. they look very ugly, and they just look so out of place, since it would leave a big ugly hole behind.

10 minutes ago, terrytek said:

lol mine still works just fine screen and all. so i think i'll go with a GTA car kit, since my original stereo works, and it actually flows with the rest of the design of the interior, like it doesn't draw attention. it's definitely cheaper than getting a dual din touchscreen stereo for the same function, which easily eclipses 200 bucks. this kit, only 90 bucks, plus the 30-40 needed for bluetooth/lightning adapters is still cheaper than going with a whole new stereo that might junk out after months. and before you say it, no, i don't ever plan on getting a single din stereo. they look very ugly, and they just look so out of place, since it would leave a big ugly hole behind.

yeah I don't like aftermarket stereo's period... I was just trying to think of a somewhat clean function over form setup lol

single din (if i can find a clean looking one) + maybe 3 gauges underneath (wideband/vacuum/uhh idk battery voltage? lol) would look nice providing the gauges don't look cheesy.

Spoiler

This guy is quickly becoming my favorite reviewer. Some masterful stuff. 

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

yeah I don't like aftermarket stereo's period... I was just trying to think of a somewhat clean function over form setup lol

single din (if i can find a clean looking one) + maybe 3 gauges underneath (wideband/vacuum/uhh idk battery voltage? lol) would look nice providing the gauges don't look cheesy.

Some aftermarket stereo are actually quite good. I personally don't like the super high level of bass in most of the cars that are fitted with aftermarket speakers.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

8 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

i mean i'll probably replace the stock stereo in an e39 m5 and get a double din stereo from pioneer that has apple carplay/android auto and possibly navigation if i can cough up an extra 400 bucks for it. it might not be as clean as factory, but the factory stereo, even the mkiv system with aux and navi, is outdated as hell tbh, being from 2003. i need something that is touchscreen and is somewhat up to date.

McLaren must really hate their customers. Just as the 675lt spiders are being delivered they are about to release the 688 HS

image.jpeg

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

Some aftermarket stereo are actually quite good. I personally don't like the super high level of bass in most of the cars that are fitted with aftermarket speakers.

My miatas speakers are terrible. They are very muddled yet the highs are too high and when you turn both down it still just doesn't sound right.... I got it as good as I could get it but it's meh at best. So much for being "premium Bose audio" lol

but you know I'm not a crazy music person in a car at least so I just need something to fill the background noise so I don't go crazy on longer trips.(esp since miatas just like most cheap cars are kinda noisy) And it works for that. So I can't complain.

Spoiler