Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, terrytek said:

ok so i'm out of a phone, but once i get a job, i most likely will be paying for my own phone, so i'm gonna wait about a month, and then get something like an iphone 7 (i would get a galaxy note 7, but that is crazy expensive and nobody in my school thinks owning a samsung is cool, so i'm kinda forced in a sense to get one). problem is, as you've all might have heard, it has been overwhelmingly rumoured that the iphone 7 isn't gonna come with a headphone jack. that's a problem, since i want to listen to music in the car via the 3.5mm jack in the car and the aux function. but i don't think i can do that with an iphone 7, since they're being so petty and got rid of the jack. so i have two options: either i get a 3.5mm to lightning adapter, or i can get a 3.5mm bluetooth transmitter. what should i do since i can't just use the 3.5mm jack as it is.

I absolutely love my S7, that's my suggestion

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Just now, RevoltTrain said:

I absolutely love my S7, that's my suggestion

i mean i would love owning android as much as the next techie, but the problem all of my friends own iphones, and i wanna be able to use things like imessage and facetime between them. unless apple would bitch up and create android apps for those, i can't use an android.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i mean i would love owning android as much as the next techie, but the problem all of my friends own iphones, and i wanna be able to use things like imessage and facetime between them. unless apple would bitch up and create android apps for those, i can't use an android.

I don't see the big deal with imessage, and you can always use facebook calling, or skype on mobile. That's what I do

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

@terrytek there will be an adapter if that helps... 

But yeah removing 3.5mm jacks is unecessary imo and I kind of mad that they are doing that.

dont get a phone just because people think it's cool m8. Honestly at the end of the day they won't care what phone you have. Just get what you want or need. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I don't see the big deal with imessage, and you can always use facebook calling, or skype on mobile. That's what I do

well with ios 10, there are some major new features to imessage, some of which i really do like. and i just find facetime much easier to use than skype tbh.

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

But yeah removing 3.5mm jacks is unecessary imo and I kind of mad that they are doing that.

dont get a phone just because people think it's cool m8. Honestly at the end of the day they won't care what phone you have. Just get what you want or need. 

ok maybe i'll just use an adapter on the corolla and maybe buy a gta car kit for the protege, and get bluetooth capability.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Fairly positive that whatever is causing an issue with my car is related to a bad ground connection. Wiggled one of the ground cables this morning, and took a drive just now. Am able to reliably reach 5k RPM with the car now without it acting up on me.

The car feels so much more alive going from 4 to 5k RPM. Might make a makeshift ramp that I can drive up the front wheels on, and get under the car and have a proper look.

7 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Fairly positive that whatever is causing an issue with my car is related to a bad ground connection. Wiggled one of the ground cables this morning, and took a drive just now. Am able to reliably reach 5k RPM with the car now without it acting up on me.

The car feels so much more alive going from 4 to 5k RPM. Might make a makeshift ramp that I can drive up the front wheels on, and get under the car and have a proper look.

So what happens with you hit 5k rpm? 

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

34 minutes ago, BOT Edward said:

So what happens with you hit 5k rpm? 

Whole car gets 'overcharged', so to speak. Too high voltage is being sent off, and messing with the car.

Daytime lights at the rear light up as if I'm breaking, low-beam lights up as if it's high-beam. Loosing the radio signal, warning lights show up as well.

But all of this returns to normal once I go below that certain RPM. And it's not the voltage regulator, as I first thought. Since I replaced it about a week ago.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

I wouldn't mind it if they included the lightning to 3.5 adapter with the iphone, but they wont and will charge 15 dollars for it. 

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

well with ios 10, there are some major new features to imessage, some of which i really do like. and i just find facetime much easier to use than skype tbh.

ok maybe i'll just use an adapter on the corolla and maybe buy a gta car kit for the protege, and get bluetooth capability.

You could get a 6s if its a big deal. I really don't think the 7 is going to be amazing. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

Whole car gets 'overcharged', so to speak. Too high voltage is being sent off, and messing with the car.

Daytime lights at the rear light up as if I'm breaking, low-beam lights up as if it's high-beam. Loosing the radio signal, warning lights show up as well.

But all of this returns to normal once I go below that certain RPM. And it's not the voltage regulator, as I first thought. Since I replaced it about a week ago.

Thats clearly a fault with the alternator then. The rectifier in the alternator is probably shot.

Have you had your battery tested as well? (even just dropping it into another car would do the trick).

Check all connections but i'm positive that the over-voltage is due to the rectifier within the alternator.

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

21 minutes ago, vetali said:

I wouldn't mind it if they included the lightning to 3.5 adapter with the iphone, but they wont and will charge 15 dollars for it. 

You could get a 6s if its a big deal. I really don't think the 7 is going to be amazing. 

i mean the fact there isn't a headphone jack isn't a total deal breaker. i mean the moto z doesn't have one either. so i think it's time. and besides, i actually wanna see how streaming over bluetooth sounds like tbh.

21 minutes ago, BOT Edward said:

Thats clearly a fault with the alternator then. The rectifier in the alternator is probably shot.

Have you had your battery tested as well? (even just dropping it into another car would do the trick).

Check all connections but i'm positive that the over-voltage is due to the rectifier within the alternator.

I'll have to grab my multimeter and check that tomorrow then. Will report back either in the morning, or afternoon.

7 minutes ago, terrytek said:

i mean the fact there isn't a headphone jack isn't a total deal breaker. i mean the moto z doesn't have one either. so i think it's time. and besides, i actually wanna see how streaming over bluetooth sounds like tbh.

It sounds fine to me, if not better than most 3.5s. However the issues with connecting are pretty aggravating. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

It sounds fine to me, if not better than most 3.5s. However the issues with connecting are pretty aggravating. 

hmm, that seems weird since some people say the quality of bluetooth audio is absolute shit. i mean, they absolutely shit on bluetooth audio. but i think it's fine, according to my mini bluetooth speaker. i think i'll give bluetooth streaming a try in a car. i'll maybe buy a bluetooth to 3.5 dongle and see how it ends up.

24 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I'll have to grab my multimeter and check that tomorrow then. Will report back either in the morning, or afternoon.

From what i've experienced + heard stores from that should be the issue :) 

4 minutes ago, BOT Edward said:

From what i've experienced + heard stores from that should be the issue :) 

The thing with my car is, that it ONLY happens above 5k RPM. And I have no issues with the car below that. Which I feel is a bit weird.

so nobody told me that fisker actually made a comeback, but under the name karma. http://blog.caranddriver.com/this-may-look-familiar-presenting-the-karma-revero/

5 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

The thing with my car is, that it ONLY happens above 5k RPM. And I have no issues with the car below that. Which I feel is a bit weird.

What does the motor rev to?

The reason being that when you rev the car more the drive/pulley shaft in the alternator spins quicker thus producing more power to the stator inside the alternator housing. The issue being that the tolerance for high outputs of power on the rectifier has been weakened somehow probably by a weak circuit or something.

Please note that i'm terrible when it comes to the correct terminology and explaining things but i hope this makes some sense? 

2 minutes ago, BOT Edward said:

What does the motor rev to?

The reason being that when you rev the car more the drive/pulley shaft in the alternator spins quicker thus producing more power to the stator inside the alternator housing. The issue being that the tolerance for high outputs of power on the rectifier has been weakened somehow probably by a weak circuit or something.

Please note that i'm terrible when it comes to the correct terminology and explaining things but i hope this makes some sense? 

Redline is at 6.5k. And I really want to use the last 1,500 without worrying about anything. :c

10 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Redline is at 6.5k. And I really want to use the last 1,500 without worrying about anything. :c

Thats not too bad then, you aren't missing out on heaps of power lol

I'd avoid revving over 5k until you solve this issue because you dont want to burn out any electronics :P 

In conclusion, I drove a lot today.... This plus another 30 mins and then I had driven my Miata a good hour and a half earlier today running errands lol

image.jpeg

(Kinda hard to see in pic but it says 6hrs 48 mins and 290.4 miles lol, 29 mpg tho. Lol)

and yes that's a TPMS light lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

41 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so nobody told me that fisker actually made a comeback, but under the name karma. http://blog.caranddriver.com/this-may-look-familiar-presenting-the-karma-revero/

whats even more confusing is Fisker made a really terrible car a while back called the "karma" lol

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

whats even more confusing is Fisker made a really terrible car a while back called the "karma" lol

i know right? and this time it made a return, but with the same exact body, but a different name, the revero. hopefully it's more reliable than its doomed twin brother.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

i know right? and this time it made a return, but with the same exact body, but a different name, the revero. hopefully it's more reliable than its doomed twin brother.

the old karma was terrible though... It was a huge car yet had no space on the interior because it was a hybrid and they shoved battery packs in the middle of the car. It just looked cool I guess lol, that was pretty much the only thing going for it.

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

the old karma was terrible though... It was a huge car yet had no space on the interior because it was a hybrid and they shoved battery packs in the middle of the car. It just looked cool I guess lol, that was pretty much the only thing going for it.

imho it didnt even look good 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO