Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, RealBACONATOR2 said:

How do you guys feel about automatic transmissons vs CVTs?

The only good 'auto' are in sportier cars (in my experience, models of Audi and BMW), otherwise it's a frustrating driving experience... but manual is better 😉

1 hour ago, rikitikitavi said:

otherwise it's a frustrating driving experience... but manual is better 😉

ilikedrivingamanualbecause.png

16 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

ilikedrivingamanualbecause.png

I thought you had it bookmarked for ease of sharing... Disappointing

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

ANyone in the club ever have a Fiat 500 Abarth? Opinions etc on ownership?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 11/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, RealBACONATOR2 said:

How do you guys feel about automatic transmissons vs CVTs?

personally not a fan of how Toyota does CVTs ... as thats the only one i have real experience with
with automatics i dont really mind them as long as they are semi modern ones

prefer a DCT style box like my volvo has .. but many people complain about them being twitchy compered to an automatic 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Drove a GTI with a really nicely tuned DCT in it, I think he had some programming done on it because it was like blip blip blip through those gears. If they were all like that it would be nice!

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

Drove a GTI with a really nicely tuned DCT in it, I think he had some programming done on it because it was like blip blip blip through those gears. If they were all like that it would be nice!

the mk7.5 GTI i have driven is tuned and it was also just amazingly nice to drive... it made me want one 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

8 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I thought you had it bookmarked for ease of sharing... Disappointing

Contents a little too harsh for the forum I imagine. I've had enough warning points lmao.

22 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Avoid

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

13 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Avoid

That's not real specific....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

That's not real specific....

It is

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

On 11/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, Radium_Angel said:

they just don't last very long, they kinda fall apart everywhere. 

One of those "only good when new" cars

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

It is

Can confirm.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

they just don't last very long, they kinda fall apart everywhere. 

One of those "only good when new" cars

4 hours ago, vetali said:

Can confirm.

Because from what I have read, the engine and manual transmission is strong and trouble free. The rest of the car is Italian (aka built with iffy quality standards)

Is what I have read, incorrect?

11 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Because from what I have read, the engine and manual transmission is strong and trouble free. The rest of the car is Italian (aka built with iffy quality standards)

Is what I have read, incorrect?

Engines are fairly robust, gearboxes are awful on them, know a few people who've had them and gone through multiple boxes

The roads here got salted for the first snow of the year and cold snap a few days ago, but yesterday it rained... I wasn't sure if it rained enough to clear the salt off so I swiped the street in front of my house with my finger then used the only salinity detector I have available. I liked my wet street finger. Ok so street does not taste good, the aftertaste really lingers, but it was barely salty. I might take the car out for the last drives of the year tomorrow and/or Saturday and I'm very excited about that. I've been kind of ticked about only getting 2 days after the intake was on to drive it around.

13 hours ago, Bitter said:

The roads here got salted for the first snow of the year and cold snap a few days ago, but yesterday it rained... I wasn't sure if it rained enough to clear the salt off so I swiped the street in front of my house with my finger then used the only salinity detector I have available. I liked my wet street finger. Ok so street does not taste good, the aftertaste really lingers, but it was barely salty. I might take the car out for the last drives of the year tomorrow and/or Saturday and I'm very excited about that. I've been kind of ticked about only getting 2 days after the intake was on to drive it around.

What do you drive that has you worried about road salt?

3 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

What do you drive that has you worried about road salt?

Nearly 23yr old Toyota with coilovers and poly bushings.

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Nearly 23yr old Toyota with coilovers and poly bushings.

Ah, yes, old cars, as lovely as they are, rustproofing was not as...advanced...as we have these days.

See, this is where old Italian cars are superiour. They leak oil, not because the engine needs repair, but to lubricate the chassis against rust 😆

Found out the oil cap is optional on the Celica, I got distracted by the dogs before leaving to run an errand and didn't put the cap on. 20 mile highway drive, I lost about 1/8th of a qt onto my engine and made a stupidly annoying mess to clean up.

Saw this....thing....at the store. Plate decodes to an 02 Trail Blazer with a 4.2 I6.

messages_0(19).jpeg

messages_0(18).jpeg

So this came back after a bunch of work, I heard some valve train noise but the owner wasn't worried "I change my oil every 3000 miles, it's fine"

Nope. Was not fine. 20221129_125003.thumb.jpg.17b1b940cc41f2211064329bd9a0908b.jpgIMG_20221129_123458.thumb.jpg.db12495e1cfae2418ed95d33b839d886.jpg

Client states that Duke of Oil has been using high mileage synthetic every 3000 miles for years. I have some serious doubts about that. Either they've been subbing in regular oil, haven't actually been changing the oil, or he had someone take it for oil changes and they just took the money and lied. That's nasty for 173,000 miles for synthetic every 3K, something doesn't add up.

Thats not due to dino oil. Thats due to not rotating your tires every oil change.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

2 hours ago, vetali said:

Thats not due to dino oil. Thats due to not rotating your tires every oil change.

It's clearly because they used beam wiper blades, duh

39 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's clearly because they used beam wiper blades, duh

The thought of bringing my car for an oil change some place and them not actually doing it, kinda sickens me 

it’s such an easy thing to pull too… not the first time I’ve heard it suspected either 😕 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1