Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

17 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Wow. That's actually pretty damn good. I kinda wish F1 was more like that. Been watching it for 14 years and archived races think are behind a subscription model on their website. Either that or it's some low quality YouTube video.

Mostly free rein of what teams are allowed to run as long as it adheres to what the FIA have set out? Does the Toyota have a MGU-H or similar devices for assisting the turbo? Since you mentioned that the hybrid outdrags in corners are they able to get to max boost pressure quicker by pre-spooling the turbo or does the battery drive the wheels directly?

LMP1-HY are more like 2012 F1 cars. Hybrid by MGU-K (KERS) with both manual and automatic deployment. Power is sent directly to the driveline without going through the ICE; you can trim the deploy/regeneration a bit and optimize it for a lap but that's about it. Toyota used to store it via capacitors for quicker discharge but they changed over to traditional batteries for the TS050 (also RWD deployment is now FWD deployment). Ergo LMP1s dont have the same assisted turbos like F1, and they don't need to because the whole point of the hybrid is to use otherwise wasted energy to propel the car up to speed (also there's enough weight for a starter motor).

Design wise, there are the same regulatory "boxes" as in F1 with regards to specific elements of the aerodynamics. Things like overhangs in relation to axles, width and shape of pods, splitter/floor/diffuser elements, etc. There was a time where teams (Porsche/Toyota) would have flexible engine covers that reduced drag at speed but that was outlawed pretty quickly. Toyota (for the TS040 I believe) also had an analog DRS that would automatically decrease the wing angle without the driver doing anything; the anchor points were "faked" on one side to fool competitors into thinking it was static but on the inside of the endplate you could see scratches from the wing plane shifting up and down. You can imagine other teams called foul pretty quickly.

Everybody runs the same engine but they can choose the chassis? Seems kinda neat. I Imagine that some chassis might be better than others for certain tracks or is it all fairly close?

Yes everybody has the same engine and BOP. Think spec miata but much faster and more expensive. Although it is spec, LMP2 constructors are permitted one "joker" update in the same way GT3 manufacturers are allowed a one-time "evo" upgrade: this means possible aero and mechanical changes to the chassis for a new homologation. LMP2 is also cost capped to promote more team participation as this is meant to be a feeder class for LMP1, in the same way as GP2 was. When the 2017 LMP2s debuted Oreca had hands down the best chassis and nearly every team bought an 07; to fix this the FIA permitted the three other constructors a one-time upgrade that didn't count towards the joker, and that's why we see more Ligiers in competition now.

So can this series be (kinda) thought of being a stripped out/race modified factory car? That's cool how the Michelin tyres are "tuned" in a sense to the chassis. Aston Martin tyres might not "work" most effectively with the Ford chassis? Something like that? I've heard that the Corvette could be quite formidable.

Essentially yes. They are about as far as you can take a road car to a fully modified GT car, with extreme budgets and factory support. Yes Michelin offers tailored medium/hard compounds to different teams to help them better reach their operating windows. For example, the Fords are extremely good on long run endurance but struggle on getting them up to operating temps; a Ferrari may prefer a softer tire to make the most of its grip; Corvettes and astons may need a slightly harder compound to accommodate their torque advantage. 

These cars all run on race day? They're competing in their own classes sure, but do they all compete in an overall position?

Yes like any multiclass series, all classes race in the same sessions. Just as IMSA runs prototypes, gtlm, and gtd at the same tracks WEC also runs LMP1, LMP2, and GTE at all events. Competitors are competing for class wins but should every competitor from a higher class retire (like 2017), a lower category car could theoretically claim the overall win. (see: IMSA Petit Le Mans when a GTLM overtook every prototype in the rain because the Continental rain tires were trash).

These aren't must watched series, but the FIA also pays attention to two other concurrent series similar to WEC. Champions from each of these categories, similar to IMSA, get automatic invites to compete in Le Mans. The European Le Mans Series (ELMS) invites LMP2, LMP3, and GTE competition whereas the Asian Le Mans series runs LMP2, LMP3, and GT3.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Opinions on the new turbo V6 supercars?

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Weekends over 

Folding@Home | BOINC

15 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Weekends over 

LITERALLY made me mad

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

22 hours ago, Tam3n said:

As I mostly need space just for myself, the small sedan will be ok for me. I was thinking of the bigger models, but came to the conclusion this is going to be more than enough for me. I know wagons are more practical, but I like the sedan just a bit more :)

I myself like the 5 cyl engine and its sound, reminds me a bit of the old Audi quattro that I have always liked. The big non turbo 5 cyl Volvo engines seem a bit slow on paper so that might be why some don't think much of them. However, AFAIK these engines are very durable. After driving AWD cars last winter, there were just so many days I enjoyed the AWD in steep snow, icy intersections and even just getting out of a parking lot after heavy snow fall etc that I thought I will get one if possible. The more slippery it was the more fun the driving became (leave fwd like stick in the mud at intersections, and go a bit sideways at some corners :p).

Now manuals vs automatics... That's the first thing my little brother (that just got his own license) commented on me getting this car: why an automatic ?! :D. After driving manuals for years, then both manuals and automatics for a couple of years, I came to the conclusion automatic is simply just more luxurious. Back when I got my license, I used to think for many years that automatics are crap and slow and that a real man drives with manual. I know manuals are fun in their own way, but I have become to appreciate the automatic transmission for daily driving and towing. I think it's great you can just floor the pedal and the thing will rocket. Also, this one has the "Geartronic" manual shift option so a bit of fun can be still had :)

Nice, I think Saabs are good cars.

yeah, not everyone needs or wants big cars

the N/A 5cylinder is not bad but the sweet sweet turbo nosies :D 

saabs are great cars, only most people dont know it ... or just have bad luck :ph34r:

15 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Don't know how many of you bois are into F1 but Bahrain was pretty damn good. Stagnated in the middle for a bit but good midfield battles though.

Granted F1 "cars" aren't like normal/other race cars.

Any other series on right now worth a watch?

WRX - World RallyCross

1st race of the year is in like 4 days

also Formula Drift

10 hours ago, JayKay3000 said:

Always loved the btcc especially back when volvo was racing its 850 wagon.

this is the reason i love the 850R wagon xD 

also this 

1998-btcc-rydell-1280x853-1.jpg?w=1200

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 hour ago, kittycannon said:

752193080.thumb.jpg.da4b6b3933230fe461c839c1e40cccdf.jpg

So much want in one picture

RB20 or RB25? 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 hour ago, kittycannon said:

RB25 of course

It's a shame it'll be gone before I have enough money for it

would like one and do a GT-R front end on one ... but ... money, i need it

7 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Opinions on the new turbo V6 supercars?

@MEC-777

Video unavailable. :(

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

20180402_123815.thumb.jpg.d053932fd65cc3a3821f8deeb0aa5e7c.jpg20180402_130002.thumb.jpg.4b5fcfd3f07eb8245b5edba64bac4971.jpg20180402_122321.thumb.jpg.26451d316758790ebc166dd9b58959b4.jpg5acb4cf55952f_20180402_124555(1).thumb.jpg.7b9e9a633dcb3c04dd0f3ee55abd1600.jpg

CPU: AMD 3800X GPU: GTX 1080 Ti RAM: (16GB) 2x Corsair 8gb DDR4 3200Mhz Drives: SanDisk 240GB SSD, Samsung 500GB SSD, WD 1TB HDD

Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming pro plus PSU: Gigabyte 650 watt Monitor(s): 27 inch AOC 1440p

4 hours ago, kittycannon said:

752193080.thumb.jpg.da4b6b3933230fe461c839c1e40cccdf.jpg

So much want in one picture

Really would rather have a R32 / R34 sedan with a GTR front end over an actual GTR tbh

(Granted the R34 in my photo doesn't have a GTR front end) 

Screenshot_20180409-074934_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20180409-074913_Instagram.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

@PandaCopyRight

JRCA is better action than some ERC rounds

@me

Folding@Home | BOINC

unnamed-78.jpgunnamed-80.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

alright guys finally had a Phillips Crystalvision Ultra die on me. Noticed in the reflection when I was behind someone this morning and my passenger side light was out.

How long did it last? 1 year, 10 months

will I buy one again? probably.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

alright guys finally had a Phillips Crystalvision Ultra die on me. Noticed in the reflection when I was behind someone this morning and my passenger side light was out.

How long did it last? 1 year, 10 months

will I buy one again? probably.

I know how you feel. My last focus would eat headlight bulbs every 6-8 months, regardless of what bulbs I used. That got really old, but I got very good at swapping them. 

When the first bulb goes out on the ST, I'm probably going to do LED conversions for everything.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

5 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I know how you feel. My last focus would eat headlight bulbs every 6-8 months, regardless of what bulbs I used. That got really old, but I got very good at swapping them. 

When the first bulb goes out on the ST, I'm probably going to do LED conversions for everything.

I actually don't mind... nearly 2 years is pretty good for one of the brighter halogen bulbs IMO

I could do a conversion but to do something nice (Like use OE(M)-replacement Xenon bulbs or something) is expensive. Not too fond of the cheap aftermarket kits where you can't just go buy new bulbs on a shelf at a store...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I actually don't mind... nearly 2 years is pretty good for one of the brighter halogen bulbs IMO

I could do a conversion but to do something nice (Like use OE(M)-replacement Xenon bulbs or something) is expensive. Not too fond of the cheap aftermarket kits where you can't just go buy new bulbs on a shelf at a store...

I agree, the simple LED bulbs arent what you want, you want a full conversion kit. Last time I looked, the kits were ~$100 for a pair of lights, so to do my fog lights, headlights, and highbeams would be ~$300. 

I imagine it's similar price for an NB. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

5 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I agree, the simple LED bulbs arent what you want, you want a full conversion kit. Last time I looked, the kits were ~$100 for a pair of lights, so to do my fog lights, headlights, and highbeams would be ~$300. 

I imagine it's similar price for an NB. 

+ I usually can't stand the look of aftermarket housings... most of them look tacky.

OEM is just /better/

Spoiler

2 hours ago, dionkoffie said:

5acb4cf55952f_20180402_124555(1).thumb.jpg.7b9e9a633dcb3c04dd0f3ee55abd1600.jpg

Back when the movies were good

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

+ I usually can't stand the look of aftermarket housings... most of them look tacky.

OEM is just /better/

I found a couple for the ST that I like the look of, but most dont have the projector swivel when going around corners, and I care more about that than the look of the headlight. 

Image result for focus st headlightsImage result for focus st headlights

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

On 4/7/2018 at 10:57 PM, chaozbandit said:

Untitled2.thumb.png.c9728054317580f4f53896ea03d544a1.png

Untitled.png

10 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

Weekends over 

phuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucc

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Yesterday went to a trackday. Went shotgun on an E36 318ti Compact (M42B18 with 330000+ kms on the clock), E46 320d (M47D20), Peugeot 106 Rallye S2 and a '12 SEAT Ibiza TDI (2.0).

318ti was bone stock except for the cheap coilovers and bigger brake discs (286mm I think).

E46 had a remap, center cat removed, and final muffler replace with a 60mm pipe or something like that. It didn't sound all that bad, the exhaust, because obviously, the diesel knock still grinds my gears.

106 was straight pipe, and that's it I think. Thing was mental even tho the track was wet and slippery as hell.

The Ibiza also had something done to the exhaust, not sure what, sounded pretty good not gonna lie. It had a remap and some other shit, 200+hp I think. And floating front discs with 6 piston D2 calipers.

All cars unfortunately were understeering due to the weather. It was raining all day... Obviously, the BMWs would get sideways sometimes, but the front tires on both were pretty shit and they understeered a bunch too. The 106 was always struggling to grip due to the open diff, but that thing was mental. The Ibiza was pretty nice, even tho it kept understeering and thus making it hard to hit the apexes and such.

Some of the most memorable cars from that trackday were a GT-R, F-Type 400, Exige Cup 260, M2, M3 F80 (from January of this year... god damn), M3 E36, E30 S50 swapped, lots of straight cut sequential gearbox equipped old Mini's, and lots of modded R56 Cooper S (it was a MINI trackday, but friends could be invited, so, more than 50% of the cars weren't MINI). Lots of E36's, a gang of Micras 1.3 Super S, lots of 106 GTI's and Saxo Cup's (VTS on the rest of Europe or wtv, idk). Those 1.6 engines sounded mental (almost all straight piped). A few Renault Clio 172's were also present, one of which had ITB's, I'm pretty sure, the intake sound on it was amazing. An S2000 that got chopped by one of the Saxo's xD And two PD (VAG TDI 1.9) swapped cars, a VW Caddy and a MK2 Golf. Both were pretty fast, ngl, but unfortunately they were smoking a lot. Will post pics in a bit.

A great day overall. Now I just need to get myself my license, a decent car that I can daily and track on opportunities like these (my brother's SLK didn't see the track, didn't even leave the house, we took the E60 due to the rain, SLK has no TCS, because my father works for an insurance company and he knows all things related to crashes on track and shit and didn't want my brother to risking the SLK). I will try to get a cheap car that is cheap to fix so I can persuade my parents into tracking it once a year or so, since these trackdays aren't all that common, this one was an yearly event, even tho lots of other events happen on that track, and if I end up fucking it up, I will fix it with my own money... IDK, still want a six cylinder xD Cheapest six cylinders are E36 sedans, but almost every single one is either in bad shape or riced. Other option is MX-3 1.8 V6, but those aren't all that common and quite not worth the money, or an IS200, but I'd need to convert that to LPG because IS200's aren't known for their mileage. The 1G sounds fokin amazing tho.

So, current goal is a car with a big/cheap aftermarket, that is good for dailying, but also decent for having some fun on track (not looking at lap times, only care about smiles per galon).

TL;DR: read it or just enjoy the text wall :P

So, out of the 100+ panning attemptss, only got 4 decent ones. Need to practice more, which means attending more trackdays hehe

IMG_5729.thumb.JPG.5156919a8bff1a66a28cdf3731f2e015.JPG

IMG_5757.thumb.JPG.456ced3ea49828e37db3c7b43066102a.JPG

IMG_5767.thumb.JPG.90760726e345bf88a96edc3d5b554704.JPG

IMG_5825.thumb.JPG.d92d49b3d57958392c5a5715f207ecb4.JPG

IMG_5849.thumb.JPG.26fba3e8d5b8d798baf1541811bc8a76.JPG

Dirty lens, I know.

has that E36 with 330k KM's been regularly tracked? If so... that's amazing esp if it's on it's first engine/trans/other components.

@JoaoPRSousa

Spoiler