Apple Watch is the Wearables King

Go to solution Solved by abazigal,
6 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:
  • I managed to drop 33 pounds of body fat without a smartwatch or fitness tracker telling me how much calories I’ve burned or how’s my heart rate.
  • I can always pair my Bluetooth headphones with my phone and while it takes more steps, it’s not hard. 
  • Some universities called for a ban of smartwatches (at least mine did) during classes and as someone planning on going to grad school, I don’t see how a smartwatch will be beneficial if it’s always inside my bag because of cheating fears which are justified. Anyone caught wearing a smartwatch during examinations or even just a quiz will receive a zero in that test and might become grounds for expulsion. 
  • Given how inaccurate voice recognition is, how can someone send a long text much less a long email to someone on a watch? I can do that on my phone. 

While many people have found a use case for smartwatches, I don’t and it’s just me. 

I routinely use Siri to quickly compose messages on my Apple Watch to send to my friends and colleagues. It’s actually pretty accurate for short to medium length messages. The trick is dictating everything you want to say at one go so the algorithm has more context to work with when transcribing your message. 

The issue here isn’t what the watch can do that your phone can’t; it’s what the watch can do more quickly and conveniently. It’s like a remote for your TV. Doesn’t let you do anything you couldn’t do by walking over to your television to manually change the channels, just faster and way more convenient. 

If Apple Pay on your phone feels fast, paying via your watch feels at least 50% faster in comparison. 

I don’t have to reach into my pocket every time my phone vibrates. I can look at my wrist to discern the nature of the incoming notification and decide whether it is worth responding to or not. 

And when I am running, I don’t bring my phone with me, and so it’s handy to be able to store music on the watch. 

I have even even used my watch as a clicker to control my PowerPoint presentation running from my phone. Cheap thrill, but cool that it’s there. 

It’s a bunch of nice little conveniences in one neat little package that further adds value to a smartphone. 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

I didn’t catch that part. It obviously wasn’t reading a person then. Theoretically it should have just turned off the sensors when it left your wrist but for some reason it didn’t. 

Probs Ghost ? 

Might be my mouse mat. Not too sure. Only happened twice in 3 months.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

but for some reason it didn’t. 

Because it's consumer technology, where components aren't refined that much because there is simply no need to.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

It still take this over and apple watch any day. 

IMG_20180301_202711.thumb.jpg.86c526788abcfe313525426ebc1e5254.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I tested out a Garmin Vivoactive 3 for about ten minutes before writing it off due to the awful looking screen, the vastly inferior side swiping compared to a rotating bezel, and a much better experience with Tizen.

Never tried samsung watches, I'll have to try one some time

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

sure but i'd still stick to the likes of these

OTNkY2UyMjNkZDA3ODdlZDgzZjA4ZTdkNTFlOTE5

there's just something about gears and never worrying about batteries even after a decade that turns me on

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

If some miracle happens and it ever works with anything outside Apple's little walled garden, I might look at picking one up. Until then idk.

I don't really understand why people are buying it though? As a fitness tracker it's sorely lacking, it doesn't have the glancability of a normal watch, if you use it as a phone replacement it's sorely lacking and still relies on a phone for the backend anyways, and it just doesn't *really* solve any issues that it didn't create itself.

I mean I have a Huawei watch, and despite it being a super capable smartwatch, I'd never recommend the thing to anyone. The only thing *I* use it for is checking the time, notifications of work stuff, track control for music since I feel really stupid yelling "Next Track!!!" at my Pixel Buds over and over and over again due to their lack of track control.

Does the Apple watch have *anything* that a comparable Android Wear or Tizen watch doesn't? I mean other than the sleek design?

If you are using an iPhone, there really isn’t much of a choice when it comes to smart watches. Especially if you want to store music on the watch. 

Here's what I am currently doing on my Apple Watch. 

1) Apple Pay. Way faster and more convenient compared to the phone. 

2) Interacting with notifications. I love being able to triage incoming email and dictate short replies to messages from my wrist, especially when my phone is not on me. 

3) Siri on the wrist can be handy. I am using it to calculate discounted prices of products in shopping malls (e.g. "What is 70% of $139”) and do a bunch of other random stuff. 

4) Use the workout app to track my runs. Loving the heart rate sensor as well (not sure how accurate it is though). 

5) Have apps like 1Password and Authy saved to my dock. I can now retrieve passwords and 2FA codes directly from my wrist. 

6) It's just an nice watch all round (albeit one I have to charge every 1-2 days). 

If I am going to wear a watch on my wrist, may as well be one with more functionality.

10 hours ago, BuckGup said:

I finally got one when gen 3 came out due to the battery life being so much better and the bump in performance. Second best tech purchase behind my 980ti

Same here! I had a Series 2 briefly, but that's my mother's now. Series 3 where and still rocking my launch day 980Ti also.
The watch battery life is good. I get 2.5 days average.

I cannot wait for the days we get a least a week like the OG Pebble.

I just wish we got access to the Cellular Series 3 in Ireland; I'd get my mother that right away. She often forgets her phone and can't find it around the house. Or goes out and forgets it. The Watch would be very important for her at her age.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

7 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Series 3 sucks ass.

The back end is a mess activating them and then because of number share, you can't just simply transfer owner ship. You are forced to disconnect the line, add a new line and then go through activation all over again.

Anyone who has to deal with these things outside of the consumer side loathes dealing with them.

I deal with them outside of just the consumer side; not had many issues.
Worst is just Activation Lock; but that happens on nearly all Apple products if people don't signout of their Apple ID's on the device and turn off FMiP

Not sure what you mean about disconnecting a line; I take it you're in the US and dealing with the cellular versions? You lot need a better backend then; not had issues like that in the EU.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

10 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

To be honest all the current smartwatches suck, It is like manufactures don't understand why people wear and collect watches.

i dont think my Watch Style 2 sucks, its decently snappy, looks nice and has an ok build. like it way more than my phone tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont think my Watch Style 2 sucks, its decently snappy, looks nice and has an ok build. like it way more than my phone tbh

ok, more like most, some look good. I do prefer a round face, and a not too thick body.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

13 hours ago, dizmo said:

Not surprising. Most manufacturers have all but given up on wearables. The Fitbit is more of a niche product.

Not surprising that the majority of people that spend $350 on a useless piece of tech are Apple users.B|

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Not surprising that the majority of people that spend $350 on a useless piece of tech are Apple users.B|

That's some nice EK stuff you've got there ;)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's some nice EK stuff you've got there ;)

Premium vs Useless

My parts are serving a purpose, what is a smartwatch doing besides mirroring your phone? Watercooling is a premium version of a necessity for a PC, the smartwatch is just a pointless standalone product.

When you make serious posts that resemble low tier bait on 4chan, you have to expect backlash.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXP9UIltWb9M8k171jssh

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Had the Asus Zenwatch 3, S3 gear, LG sport and Apple watch. Returned everyone. 

Only use I had out of any of them was payments. Other than that it take 3-4x the time to do the same thing on the phone. I just gave wearable too many chances. 

So aside from telling me the time, what can a smartwatch do as good or even better than a smartphone? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

So aside from telling me the time, what can a smartwatch do as good or even better than a smartphone? 

Payments are mostly it. Everything else takes more time. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

Payments are mostly it. Everything else takes more time. 

No mobile payment is available to me at the moment and even if NFC based payments come to us, I'd rather pull out my phone and wave it to the NFC reader. I guess I'm not the target person of smartwatches. 

30 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Premium vs Useless

My parts are serving a purpose, what is a smartwatch doing besides mirroring your phone? Watercooling is a premium version of a necessity for a PC, the smartwatch is just a pointless standalone product.

When you make serious posts that resemble low tier bait on 4chan, you have to expect backlash.

Right, I forgot how important the 20 seconds less of render time is.

11 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Well I can't do anything on my phone without taking it out of my pocket. So, that.

But I've had a smartwatch for two years, then it died and needed to be replaced, but I didn't a couple weeks deciding what to get and in the meantime didn't have a smartwatch. It's just one of those things that seem useless but because a necessity once you're used to it being there. I use mine for time, notifications and weather mostly, and occasionally responding to notifications and making calls. But it also solves a big problem regarding NFC payments -- having to take out my phone is still annoying especially if there's a chance I'll need to put my phone back in my pocket and take out my wallet anyway, whereas just taking my wrist is much less of a hassle.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

No mobile payment is available to me at the moment and even if NFC based payments come to us, I'd rather pull out my phone and wave it to the NFC reader. I guess I'm not the target person of smartwatches. 

Yeah its really the only use I could find with them. Call quality sucked on all of them, app control (spotify) was atrocious and limited, notifications were good but responses too forever on IOS (swype for Android wear is amazeballs though) and I primarily use snapchat so I would just waste time looking at my watch instead of just pulling my phone out. 

The worst experience of them all was the S3 gear. Most beautiful and some of the best hardware out there but ruing by a steaming pile of dog shit OS. 

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

But it also solves a big problem regarding NFC payments -- having to take out my phone is still annoying especially if there's a chance I'll need to put my phone back in my pocket and take out my wallet anyway, whereas just taking my wrist is much less of a hassle.

IMO, I call that laziness. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But I've had a smartwatch for two years, then it died and needed to be replaced, but I didn't a couple weeks deciding what to get and in the meantime didn't have a smartwatch.

The only use case I can think off that applies to me is fitness but then I managed to drop 33 pounds without a smartwatch telling me how much calories I've burned from running and swimming.

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I primarily use snapchat so I would just waste time looking at my watch instead of just pulling my phone out. 

You still use Snapchat? I heard the massive online outrage from people because of its apparently shitty UI? I haven't checked it myself because I stopped using it in favor of Instagram Stories.

9 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

You still use Snapchat? I heard the massive online outrage from people because of its apparently shitty UI? I haven't checked it myself because I stopped using it in favor of Instagram Stories.

No dont get me wrong, the update is dog shit. But compared to insta, texting and quick photo sharing is king on snap. I share all my stories on insta though. 

18 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Right, I forgot how important the 20 seconds less of render time is.

Well I can't do anything on my phone without taking it out of my pocket. So, that.

Even by your exaggeration that values my loop as simply saving 20 seconds every time I render, it's still more valuable than the 5 seconds it takes to take your phone out of your pocket.

>mfw you realize a smartwatch is a beeper for your wrist

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It's not there because Apple doesn't want it there.

That's the interesting thing, isn't it? You (and others) just go along with the evangelism issued from Cupertino. You never stop to say "this is what I want". Or "I may not need this but others may so they should be given the option".

I find the lack of criticism disturbing. I really do.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

That's the interesting thing, isn't it? You (and others) just go along with the evangelism issued from Cupertino. You never stop to say "this is what I want". Or "I may not need this but others may so they should be given the option".

I find the lack of criticism disturbing. I really do.

Where do you think iSheep came from? They just blindly follow without question.