Apple Watch is the Wearables King

Go to solution Solved by abazigal,
6 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:
  • I managed to drop 33 pounds of body fat without a smartwatch or fitness tracker telling me how much calories I’ve burned or how’s my heart rate.
  • I can always pair my Bluetooth headphones with my phone and while it takes more steps, it’s not hard. 
  • Some universities called for a ban of smartwatches (at least mine did) during classes and as someone planning on going to grad school, I don’t see how a smartwatch will be beneficial if it’s always inside my bag because of cheating fears which are justified. Anyone caught wearing a smartwatch during examinations or even just a quiz will receive a zero in that test and might become grounds for expulsion. 
  • Given how inaccurate voice recognition is, how can someone send a long text much less a long email to someone on a watch? I can do that on my phone. 

While many people have found a use case for smartwatches, I don’t and it’s just me. 

I routinely use Siri to quickly compose messages on my Apple Watch to send to my friends and colleagues. It’s actually pretty accurate for short to medium length messages. The trick is dictating everything you want to say at one go so the algorithm has more context to work with when transcribing your message. 

The issue here isn’t what the watch can do that your phone can’t; it’s what the watch can do more quickly and conveniently. It’s like a remote for your TV. Doesn’t let you do anything you couldn’t do by walking over to your television to manually change the channels, just faster and way more convenient. 

If Apple Pay on your phone feels fast, paying via your watch feels at least 50% faster in comparison. 

I don’t have to reach into my pocket every time my phone vibrates. I can look at my wrist to discern the nature of the incoming notification and decide whether it is worth responding to or not. 

And when I am running, I don’t bring my phone with me, and so it’s handy to be able to store music on the watch. 

I have even even used my watch as a clicker to control my PowerPoint presentation running from my phone. Cheap thrill, but cool that it’s there. 

It’s a bunch of nice little conveniences in one neat little package that further adds value to a smartphone. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Integrates with the Apple ecosystem, has the best health sensors available, has an app ecosystem, has the workouts app, is highly customizable, higher resolution and better quality displays, Apple Music, can unlock your Mac just by being near it, and I belive no other smart watch locks if you take it off. 

Oh and it has a night stand mode which is pretty cool. 

And the Apple Watch doesn’t have a “glance” feature but it’s OLED panel turns on if you rotate your wrist. Really seems more efficient than just leaving your display on all the time. 

Half of those are multiples of the same thing. Isn't "Unlocks my mac" a part of "Integrates with the Apple ecosystem" ? Isn't "has a workout app" part of "has an app ecosystem??" And the other half is a part of most other smartwatches xD

Android Wear watches have a toooooooooooooon of apps available for them, including workout apps, many have similar screen densities, are far more customizable, and have the option to lock when you take them off.

I don't get where you're saying that the Apple Watch has a higher resolution or nicer screen. The 42mm Apple Watch is 312x390. The OG Huawei watch is 400x400 and has an equally vivid amoled screen. And that's not even a particularly new watch. The density for the OG Huawei watch was about 3/4 that of the Apple watch, but the density of the Huawei Watch 2 matches it... So...

They can also be used to unlock Windows 10, ChromeOS, or Linux based devices (not Mac's because Apple are dicks and won't let them), integrate with any Music service you want other than Apple Music (because Apple are dicks and won't let them).

I was asking for things these don't have, and you gave me a list of things they do...

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

But if you would prefer the dispay be on all the time why does that matter? It would have been on anyway.....

I'd rather have the display on but ignore all interaction unless I pressed a physical button or move my wrist to a certain position than my device interacting with my sleeve or pocket when the screen should be off.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Usuaully there are things in my other hand that make that awkward and annoying.

Your nose works like a finger ya know 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Been there, done that; still annoying.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'd rather have the display on but ignore all interaction unless I pressed a physical button or move my wrist to a certain position than my device interacting with my sleeve or pocket when the screen should be off.

And maybe dimmed and in a high contrast mode...

OH WAIT! That's what Android Wear 2.8/9 does on watches with AMOLED screens! >,<

But seriously for anyone who works with their hands an always-on mode is crazy useful. Usually when I'm at work and trying to check my watch, I don't have the freedom of movement to flick my wrist up to my face, because I'm carrying armfulls of things.

46 minutes ago, Niksa said:

Their stubbornness in non integrating their software with Apple health kit doesn't help them.

For me personally Apple watch is a nice product, but I am old style analog watch guy and charging my watch every two days seems ridiculous xD

The only smartwatch I am thinking about getting it is Suunto because I go to mountains quite often and Suunto is the king for that kind of application. Also I don't want to wear my nice watch while handling with ropes, ice axes etc. because for sure I would break it really fast.

Haha yeah same here. Until they have full day of always on battery life, I'm simply not interested. Not only that, if I have my phone on me anyway, I don't really see the point of the watch.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Been there, done that; still annoying.

I haven’t noticed ?

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, dizmo said:

Haha yeah same here. Until they have full day of always on battery life, I'm simply not interested. Not only that, if I have my phone on me anyway, I don't really see the point of the watch.

Also these dispays are OLED, an always on display is a death sentence for these panels.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

The point of the watch is to spend more money on useless shit.

Or a fitness tracker.

Or as a basic remote for your music player.

But mostly the first one.

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

And maybe dimmed and in a high contrast mode...

OH WAIT! That's what Android Wear 2.8/9 does on watches with AMOLED screens! >,<

Wouldn't know, had a Gear Fit, lost it, now have a Tizen based Gear Fit 2, miss the OG fit.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Also these dispays are OLED, an always on display is a death sentence for these panels.

Umm... What? You do realize there's burn in mitigation techniques right? Samsung and AW have done this forever.

• Dim display to decrease burn in
  • Set screen in a high contrast mode to increase visibility
  • Offset the display periodically to wear-level the device

I've had my Huawei watch in Always-on mode literally since the thing launched 2 and a half years ago, and have no noticable burn in.

P.S. those steps are automated by the OS as part of the Always On mode. Nothing the user even needs to do.

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You could just have the time move around the screen slowly. Problem solved.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The point of the watch is to spend more money on useless shit.

Or a fitness tracker.

Or as a basic remote for your music player.

But mostly the first one.

Basically. Which is what Apple people are exceptional at.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

You could just have the time move around the screen slowly. Problem solved.

Alternatively you can do nothing and keep your functional watch faces and not only be able to display time because of screen size limitations. 

I for one would much rather have this Watch Face only show up when I flick my wrist rather than have my Apple Watch always show the time

fullsizeoutput_d0c.jpeg.3ef46ed319060a9c27b61129f66c5a9a.jpeg

I was dubious about buying a smartwatch but when I bought my Apple Watch Series 3 I had wondered if I had done wrong but the ability to see notifications, reply to texts, make phone calls, go swimming and various other things that I couldn't do with some of my other "normal" watches just made me enjoy my watch, even more, its a luxury to not have to take out my phone to see who has text or what has gone off...its definitely a luxury item for pure convenience sake but I like it and I think that's the thing with a lot of people, it just blends so well with the iPhone that I feel like it's more one device hand in hand than two seperate devices.

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Alternatively you can do nothing and keep your functional watch faces and not only be able to display time because of screen size limitations. 

I for one would much rather have this Watch Face only show up when I flick my wrist rather than have my Apple Watch always show the time

There's still no reason for the option not to exist.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

fullsizeoutput_d0c.jpeg.3ef46ed319060a9c27b61129f66c5a9a.jpeg

Just for the record, Android Wear supports displaying watches as complex and with as many complications as that.

The only difference that would happen with the AW Always On system, is all of those icons would be black-and-white, and the screen would dim.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

There's still no reason for the option not to exist.

Well there is a reason, many just don't like the principle of said reason. It's not there because Apple doesn't want it there. At least not right now. 

2 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

To be honest all the current smartwatches suck, It is like manufactures don't understand why people wear and collect watches.

The original pebble watch was pretty great (I have the pebble steel), but then they ruined the software experience (I don't want the main feature of my watch to be the calender feature) and added a bunch of fitness bullsh*t. 
These days, Garmin does get pretty close but the software isn't quite as good as the original pebble v2.0 software (kinda a pain to read notifications on the garmin and the settings menu is confusing as hell).

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 minute ago, rattacko123 said:

The original pebble watch was pretty great (I have the pebble steel), but then they ruined the software experience (I don't want the main feature of my watch to be the calender feature) and added a bunch of fitness bullsh*t. 
These days, Garmin does get pretty close but the software isn't quite as good as the original pebble v2.0 software (kinda a pain to read notifications on the garmin and the settings menu is confusing as hell).

I tested out a Garmin Vivoactive 3 for about ten minutes before writing it off due to the awful looking screen, the vastly inferior side swiping compared to a rotating bezel, and a much better experience with Tizen.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Having the series 3, I mostly enjoy the apple watch. I can get 3 days of battery life in it, the face (sport) is holding up shockingly well in a pretty rough environment as an auto tech (brushing across metal brackets and such does not scratch it), and it is useful for a notification viewer while at work. I would sacrifice battery life for an always on display because 70% of the time I have to emphasize my wrist movement to get it to kick on. I wish there was a watch face store, but the modular face is pretty good. Apps feel completely useless for the most part. Crown is too easy to press while bending my wrist. I don't wear mine while sleeping because of the crown, a few times after putting it back on in the morning it alerts me that it detected a heart rate of 150+ BPM while resting.... while it was sitting on a desk...

Would of preferred the Pebble, but that didn't really work out.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Series 3 sucks ass.

The back end is a mess activating them and then because of number share, you can't just simply transfer owner ship. You are forced to disconnect the line, add a new line and then go through activation all over again.

Anyone who has to deal with these things outside of the consumer side loathes dealing with them.

34 minutes ago, vetali said:

a few times after putting it back on in the morning it alerts me that it detected a heart rate of 150+ BPM while resting.... while it was sitting on a desk...

I would not dismiss that, I’ve never had inaccurate warnings before. If it says your heart rate elevated while doing nothing it probably did. Your heart doesn’t do everything based on physical activity after all. 

It warns you to make sure you know your heart is beating fast and if it shouldn’t be you can do something. Be that go to a doctor or check if the Watch is going crazy. 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I would not dismiss that, I’ve never had inaccurate warnings before. If it says your heart rate elevated while doing nothing it probably did. Your heart doesn’t do everything based on physical activity after all. 

It warns you to make sure you know your heart is beating fast and if it shouldn’t be you can do something. Be that go to a doctor or check if the Watch is going crazy. 

I would of noticed if I had a 150bpm heart rate while sitting.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

8 minutes ago, vetali said:

I would of noticed if I had a 150bpm heart rate while sitting.

You would think. I still wouldn’t take its readings lightly. I have mine set to not alert me unless it goes above 110. I often play games where my heart rate gets up pretty high so I don’t want that going off when I’m playing. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

You would think. I still wouldn’t take its readings lightly. I have mine set to not alert me unless it goes above 110. I often play games where my heart rate gets up pretty high so I don’t want that going off when I’m playing. 

the point is, it made the readings while I was not wearing the watch.

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

the point is, it made the readings while I was not wearing the watch.

I didn’t catch that part. It obviously wasn’t reading a person then. Theoretically it should have just turned off the sensors when it left your wrist but for some reason it didn’t. 

Probs Ghost ?