NewEgg Tax in More States

oespo
On 2/13/2018 at 12:38 AM, AcousticGinger said:

I’m hesitant to write it off just yet. Only because of the things that are consistent. Such as the address for mailing, unless the game is to somehow steal SSN’s.

and how did they get this info if it is fake?

I will certainly be calling the advertised (not on this letter) DRS phone number, and I suggest anyone else who received this does too.

Getting someone's address, name, and phone number is stupid easy now a days.  There are search websites all over the place that allow you to input names and the websites will spit out phone numbers, home locations, previous home locations, relatives, etc.  There are ones that you can just throw in emails and the darn things spit out info attached to that email(getting a phone number super easy now with all the email places wanting your darn number).  And, these sites are not even on the dark web either.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

On 2/13/2018 at 9:04 AM, DeadEyePsycho said:

You have zero idea if there was a warrant or not, you're just getting upset because a business didn't help you get away with tax evasion.

True on the warrant but I'm trying to figure that out; and getting away with tax evasion was not my intent, at time time of purchase if they charged tax, whatever...fine and had no clue about this tax. Still I think CT tax is thievery...there's too much of it (and yeah, I'm considering moving)

....but to hand over information, over state lines, on a private transaction between two private parties; that's the point I'm f*ckin pissed about.  That affects ALL OF US.  How far does that go?  It seems there's no limitation at this point.  Whether for taxes or not; just because a government asks they offer it, that's complete bullsh*t because i have reasonable expectation of privacy in the transaction, which includes name and address (even if you can find it or not on the internet).

BTW, I thought shipping wasn't calculated in taxes, they usually subtotal that before shipping is added, therefore not taxed, which means tax on goods only...right?  if so, I'm sure most of the totals they (CT DRS) have are wrong....and that also (if true) gives away they (CT DRS) have totals only.

2 hours ago, hockeyman3 said:

True on the warrant but I'm trying to figure that out; and getting away with tax evasion was not my intent, at time time of purchase if they charged tax, whatever...fine and had no clue about this tax. Still I think CT tax is thievery...there's too much of it (and yeah, I'm considering moving)

....but to hand over information, over state lines, on a private transaction between two private parties; that's the point I'm f*ckin pissed about.  That affects ALL OF US.  How far does that go?  It seems there's no limitation at this point.  Whether for taxes or not; just because a government asks they offer it, that's complete bullsh*t because i have reasonable expectation of privacy in the transaction, which includes name and address (even if you can find it or not on the internet).

BTW, I thought shipping wasn't calculated in taxes, they usually subtotal that before shipping is added, therefore not taxed, which means tax on goods only...right?  if so, I'm sure most of the totals they (CT DRS) have are wrong....and that also (if true) gives away they (CT DRS) have totals only.

Whats the tax rate is CT anyway? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Mightythor460 said:

6.35%

Thats not too bad. We have 6% in MI. It could be worse. 

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Thats not too bad. We have 6% in MI. It could be worse. 

Is there a Federal Sales tax, or no?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Is there a Federal Sales tax, or no?

No which is why goods in the US are so cheap. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

No which is why goods in the US are so cheap. 

Well then you guys got it good. Ontario Sales Tax rate is 13%.

The Federal Sales Tax rate (GST - Goods and Services Tax) is 5%. The Ontario Sales Tax (Provincial Sales Tax - PST) is 8%.

Collectively, this is combined into the "Harmonized Sales Tax" (HST), which is 13%.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

59 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well then you guys got it good. Ontario Sales Tax rate is 13%.

The Federal Sales Tax rate (GST - Goods and Services Tax) is 5%. The Ontario Sales Tax (Provincial Sales Tax - PST) is 8%.

Collectively, this is combined into the "Harmonized Sales Tax" (HST), which is 13%.

And it gets even worse in the form of VAT for those living in the EU.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

45 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

True - but there are advantages to the VAT system - namely that tax is factored into the purchase price.

The downside is how high VAT normally is, but that's an issue with each specific country and what they decide to charge.

Additionally, most countries that use VAT also typically have higher tax rates in general, due to a much more robust safety net and social services. Not every VAT based country is like that of course, but in the US, they have a particular aversion to safety nets.

52 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

While we dont have VAT. We have Income tax at fed, state, and even some cities level. Gas gets separate taxes from State and Federal. We got property tax. The fucked up thing is, what taxes are collected vary state to state. The tax rate varies state to state. Also, what is tax via sales tax is different state to state. Then in some states you have to pay a deposit on drinks. Such as here in Michgian you pay 10 cents per can and bottle on soft drinks like coke. You get the deposit back if you take the bottle back to the store when your finished. Oh and none of these extra charges are added to the price. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2018 at 1:47 PM, dalekphalm said:

..Not every VAT based country is like that of course, but in the US, they have a particular aversion to safety nets.

Yeah, it's called freedom.  The US was never designed to be a safe, nanny state.  The founding fathers had a very unique social experiment in mind when they wrote the constitution.  This ideology literally doesn't exist anywhere else in the world.  Love it or hate it, your destiny is entirely in your own hands here.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh I am now officially pissed. Got this email this morning:

Our Valued Connecticut Customers:

When House Bill No. 7312 was enacted, we determined the most efficient path to compliance was to provide aggregate past sales data to the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services. And while this satisfied our legal obligation to the state of Connecticut, we realize now it wasn't the best way to do right by our customers.

We know we can't undo our actions, but we've been working behind the scenes to find a better solution that fulfills Connecticut state tax obligations and also better protects the interests of our customers. To that end, we're pleased to announce that we believe Connecticut - as of March 19, 2018 - will no longer pursue collection of sales taxes (including penalties and interest) from Newegg's Connecticut customers relating to purchases made at Newegg during 2014-2016.

If you provide us a notice from Connecticut dated on or after March 19, 2018 relating to sales tax on purchases made at Newegg.com during 2014-2016, and if you have paid the taxes applicable to that notice, please reply directly to this email and we will help you seek a refund of the taxes paid. If you received a notice dated prior to March 19 and have yet to pay the taxes, we recommend that you talk to us before paying the tax.

We know many of you are upset with how this situation has been handled. We hope the actions outlined in this letter demonstrate Newegg's commitment to listen and respond to our valued customers.

Thank you,

Newegg

So if you owned up and paid your tax jokes on you...

On 3/7/2018 at 9:17 PM, Marzen said:

Yeah, it's called freedom.  The US was never designed to be a safe, nanny state.  The founding fathers had a very unique social experiment in mind when they wrote the constitution.  This ideology literally doesn't exist anywhere else in the world.  Love it or hate it, your destiny is entirely in your own hands here.

I have freedom in Canada.

But if I become sick, or come to hard times, through no fault of my own, I won't die. I won't starve.

The US is... odd. I can definitely agree that it was a Social Experiment. One that I am very much unconvinced was a successful one, when we look at some of the metrics.

And most definitely, your destiny is not in your own hands. Not entirely anyway. That's naive at best. Corporate interests rule America. I'll try to restrain myself from going further, as it's both off topic, and could get into Community Standards violations.

8 minutes ago, Mightythor460 said:

Oh I am now officially pissed. Got this email this morning:

So if you owned up and paid your tax jokes on you...

I mean... those people still owe those taxes. Newegg just negotiated terms in which CT DRS will not aggressively pursue those unpaid taxes.

People! Learn your local tax laws!

I can sympathize with you - CT was a douche in the way they handled this, and Newegg, while following their legal obligations, didn't make it easier for the consumer. But each and every CT resident on this forum, still owes those taxes (assuming they are accurate figures, of course), and still must pay them when doing income tax returns.

Oh I adore them though, been pretty fair on prices and have deals every now and then. just ordered again another board a Supermicro z board..so that's cool...You can expect Quality with them. and suppose to get my New Pump in today Idk cool little unit the cheaper kinda budget China stuff, I'll have some backup. 

• 4 months later...

Quick update: I just received a check from the State of Connecticut for the total I paid back in February.

I am going to call tomorrow to verify it’s legit but I’m pretty sure it is. I wonder what happened...

On 2/12/2018 at 6:47 PM, AcousticGinger said:

Same here. I’ve attached a copy of the letter (minus any potential personally identifiable information) below.

I find two things odd:

1. When googled, the number given in the letter doesn’t show any link to the DRS in CT, but when called you get a recording saying they are closed for a holiday. The official DRS website does list today as a holiday. When the main number is called that is listed, another shorter message plays stating they are closed, but then rings and plays another message.

2. Why are they asking for me to send my SSN through the mail? It makes me feel incredibly uneasy to even think about doing so. Shouldn’t they already have it?

But, the official address is as listed, minus the “Ste 1” and the envelope matches other mail I’ve received From them in the past.

A8EF655A-2214-4B4B-A9CE-1232E9F70E43.jpeg

FA695163-E31B-4AA0-AE2C-7D29870BAD35.jpeg

Isn’t it the IRS not the DRS? 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

IRS is federal. Federal government has nothing to do with Sales tax. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

IRS is the Federal tax department (Internal Revenue Service, I believe).

DRS is the Connecticut state level revenue agency. This thread is about State tax, not Federal tax.