Compilation of Ryzen APU reviews

2 minutes ago, raphidy said:

I did not mean 8x for graphics, I meant total, this means you can't really use aic, crossfire?, sound card etc. Which meh for future upgrades.

It's x8 to the dGPU PCIe slot, x4 to the NVMe slot and x4 to the chipset.

And if you're going to use Crossfire, buy a better CPU to not be an idiot.

It look promising. Good basis for a console killer? It could come closer in form factor than a discrete GPU system could. Shame no hybrid crossfire though, that could have really mixed thing up (as long as it worked properly of course).

Maybe also good for mini-home servers? No need for a GPU to take up a PCI slot, especially important if you base it around a MITX board.

Not a range of chips for everyone, but they fill a niche.

2 minutes ago, raphidy said:

I did not mean 8x for graphics, I meant total, this means you can't really use aic, crossfire?, sound card etc. Which meh for future upgrades.

It only matters for graphics or more specifically running multiple cards which you shouldn't do with this processor nor is it the target market. You can still install other cards from what I can tell but you're unlikely to do so. You'll be putting it in a b350 board or lower (or preferably wait for the 400 series boards) so it isn't expected to spend tons of money on extras. A single dedicated graphics card and perhaps an m.2 NVMe drive is the height of indulgence expected.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

While looking at comparisons between other GPUs I found it to be like 750[nont-ti] to 250x level.

vega 8 is slightly less than gt 1030 and vega 11 is slightly above

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

5 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

vega 8 is slightly less than gt 1030 and vega 11 is slightly above

So this might be patronising, but I did include a ton of graphs which I scrubbed and copied from Hardware Unboxed review

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

24 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

So this might be patronising, but I did include a ton of graphs which I scrubbed and copied from Hardware Unboxed review

This is unrelated to the topic but your profile pic is really annoying me :P 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, raphidy said:

I did not mean 8x for graphics, I meant total, this means you can't really use aic, crossfire?, sound card etc.

Of course you can. In fact, it is the same as for any CPU build with a dGPU using an x16 slot. All the remaining slots are wired to the CPU (whether directly or through the chipset) in the same way in both cases.

7 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I'd take Steam stats with a grain of salt as participation in their hardware surveys are optional,and with a lot of AMD gpus overpriced and in short supply do you think gamers are going to be using AMD cards?

You do have a point,however for the price range these compete in you can't get an Intel 4 core 8 thread cpu,and graphics comparable to a GTX 1030 or RX550.

Agree, in fact to get 4 core 8 thread, you have to go i7, which is 3x the price... sure it has much better IPC, but for 3 times the price I should bloody hope so, lol

I think this is a brilliant move by AMD, I may have just picked out my next server cpu at that price... I shall see nearer the time... and if everything I want/need to use on it would actually run OK.

I was also talkign to my bro just recently about a budget gaming system he was asking about, and now I have a solution that has better performance for him.. this should last him until he wants/needs better graphics at least.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

how well does it mine... #triggered

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Nothing to do with the original budget. Please stop this nonsense and pointless arguments. 

What? How is it nonsense? You're the one not making sense, it's a perfectly logical choice, regardless if it has "nothing to do with the original budget". Since when did you have to build the whole machine in one pop?

Also, you wouldn't buy a 1050ti and pair it with this, You'd do this with the intent on buying something like a 1060 or better later. The 1050ti is better than these APUs obviously, but it's not a huge enough difference to drop 200$ on.

A 1600 and a 1050ti would run you like 450$ish iirc, one of these APUs will run you 100 or 170. Then later when sanity returns you could spend that much on a 1070. Get it?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Hmm.. these little things seem quite potent for the price. I may grab one of these as a one-stop shop for my Ryzen portion of the memory overclocking guide. Would be nice to demonstrate both the performance uplift of ram on the APU side of things, as well as the uplift when using just the CPU portion of the chip.

Hopefully Micro Center adds these to their bundle list, as you'd be able to snag the 2400G for $140, which is quite the bargain for a quad core. All in all, very impressed by what these reviews are showing thus far. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

I wanted to build a PC late last year but the memory and GPU prices were just too high to justify buying one. I have a I3 2100 + a nvdia GT630, this CPU would beat that handily wouldn't it?

49 minutes ago, JuNex03 said:

I wanted to build a PC late last year but the memory and GPU prices were just too high to justify buying one. I have a I3 2100 + a nvdia GT630, this CPU would beat that handily wouldn't it?

Almost assuredly, yes.

8 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Almost assuredly, yes.

great I hope this part to become available in our country within the month or two.

1 minute ago, JuNex03 said:

great I hope this part to become available in our country within the month or two.

Not sure on availability, but hopefully both the APU and the next generation of motherboards show up about the same time. I think some places won't see the APU launch until they also launch the next iteration of Ryzen as well.

2 hours ago, 2Buck said:

What? How is it nonsense? You're the one not making sense, it's a perfectly logical choice, regardless if it has "nothing to do with the original budget". Since when did you have to build the whole machine in one pop

Nonsense was not directed towards you!!! I originally quoted you and re-quoted as a response. Read my first reply to you. 

10 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I cant argue price point. I just dont see the point in buying a APU just to get performance around a 1030, because you know how much that card is bragged about. /s

I guess I just dont like budget parts as its generally a huge waste of money in the long run. 

But that's the thing these cpus are decent and will be able to keep up with dedicated gpus as well. So you get decent performance now and still have the ability to get a good dedicated gpu down the line and you basically don't waste any money at all because the cpus are essentially the same price as similar cpus with out graphics in them. Bottom line is these cpus are great for entry level budget builds 

L man guru said current apu's just below 1050ti that cost $225usd whereas 1060's are $325usd

nothing compares to the new apu's for budget gaming

except maybe a used gpu in a miners market.

2gb 760/770 are $165cdn

3-4GB 770/780 are $235cdn

on kijiji

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

But that's the thing these cpus are decent and will be able to keep up with dedicated gpus as well. So you get decent performance now and still have the ability to get a good dedicated gpu down the line and you basically don't waste any money at all because the cpus are essentially the same price as similar cpus with out graphics in them. Bottom line is these cpus are great for entry level budget builds 

Im not saying they are not decent because they are, im just saying for an extra ~$200 you get over double the performance with a better GPU that can actually handle 60fps, 2 more cores, full PCI lanes and better OCing. 

But based on the comments here me basing this on logic that budget PCs are always upgraded in the future, its just smarter to save and spend on the final build, which usually is a swap of the CPU which mean $170 thrown away. 

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Im not saying they are not decent because they are, im just saying for an extra ~$200 you get over double the performance with a better GPU that can actually handle 60fps, 2 more cores, full PCI lanes and better OCing. 

But based on the comments here me basing this on logic that budget PCs are always upgraded in the future, its just smarter to save and spend on the final build, which usually is a swap of the CPU which mean $170 thrown away. 

If someone doesn't have an extra $200 bucks, they can get this and "tough" out this 1st world problem until the scrape enough cash to purchase a dedicated GPU eventually after the mining craze either ends or they move on to new GPU architectures. This APU isn't trash, and doesn't need to be replaced to stick a GPU onto the MB. You aren't going to get the same potential at the same budget. Budget means budget. it doesn't mean build a piece of shit. It means do not exceed, don't pass go, etc....

You should leave this thread, and go troll the Show Off Your Setup thread. There are a bunch of people rocking old Athlons and Pentiums that really need to learn a thing or two about financial management, priorities, having a "real" gaming experience.

Trololololol.....

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

If someone doesn't have an extra $200 bucks, they can get this and "tough" out this 1st world problem until the scrape enough cash to purchase a dedicated GPU eventually after the mining craze either ends or they move on to new GPU architectures. This APU isn't trash, and doesn't need to be replaced to stick a GPU onto the MB. You aren't going to get the same potential at the same budget. Budget means budget. it doesn't mean build a piece of shit. It means do not exceed, don't pass go, etc....

You should leave this thread, and go troll the Show Off Your Setup thread. There are a bunch of people rocking old Athlons and Pentiums that really need to learn a thing or two about financial management, priorities, having a "real" gaming experience.

Trololololol.....

Im not saying budget PCs are a POS because they are not, they have their uses. Almost every budget PC is upgraded at some point and budget PCs usually end up costing more in the long run because the parts they bought either cant handle a particular game properly or just want to eventually go past 1080p or hell in this situation, game at 60fps. 

These would be great in home theaters where GPU acceleration would shine in a tiny form factor or if AMD finally made a NUC clone. I dont get why you cannot see the long run cost for most budget builds. Its not trolling, its spending money wisely. This "1st world problem" and "toughing it out" is a dumb response. And this all coming from the guy who bashes console gamers for playing at 30fps but now you act like its all good especially at this budget price, consoles still hold up quite well.  

You are just acting childish with your last statement about "real" gaming experince. You can game at 30fps, fuck even 20 is do able, want to play on lowest where GTA looks like minecraft to get 60, whatever floats your boat. But dont point fingers at me when you want to play a game released this summer and all of a sudden you cant play it because it either runs at 10fps or not at all. 

Im not saying shoot for $1000+ dollar machine. 1080@60fps on med settings the sweet spot of price and performance and longevity. No fucking clue why you cant comprehend that. 

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Im not saying budget PCs are a POS because they are not, they have their uses. Almost every budget PC is upgraded at some point and budget PCs usually end up costing more in the long run because the parts they bought either cant handle a particular game properly or just want to eventually go past 1080p or hell in this situation, game at 60fps. 

This is upgraded by spending the extra $200 dollars you keep saying, but at a later point.

These would be great in home theaters where GPU acceleration would shine in a tiny form factor or if AMD finally made a NUC clone. I dont get why you cannot see the long run cost for most budget builds. Its not trolling, its spending money wisely. This "1st world problem" and "toughing it out" is a dumb response. And this all coming from the guy who bashes console gamers for playing at 30fps but now you act like its all good especially at this budget price, consoles still hold up quite well.  

When did I bash consoles?

You are just acting childish with your last statement about "real" gaming experince. You can game at 30fps, fuck even 20 is do able, want to play on lowest where GTA looks like minecraft to get 60, whatever floats your boat. But dont point fingers at me when you want to play a game released this summer and all of a sudden you cant play it because it either runs at 10fps or not at all. 

If someone is building a custom "budget" machine for certain low end games it Esports titles, they have already set the bar of expectations...

Im not saying shoot for $1000+ dollar machine. 1080@60fps on med settings the sweet spot of price and performance and longevity. No fucking clue why you cant comprehend that. 

I can. I just think you're ignorant.

17 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I can. I just think you're ignorant.

Spend a bit more up front which means less in the end, better experience, more available games (that can run at 30+) leading to less frustration because less need to upgrade longer. God im an ignorant bastard huh.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Spend a bit more up front which means less in the end, better experience, more available games (that can run at 30+) leading to less frustration because less need to upgrade longer. God im an ignorant bastard huh.

I don't think anyone here is questioning your logic that it's best to invest in something good the first time, instead of repeatedly investing in mediocre things. People are simply stating that those on a budget are better off buying this APU for $170 on a platform that has valid CPU upgrade paths, rather than trying to buy say, an Intel i5 AND a GT 1030 that would almost certainly cost you more money up front, whilst barely out-performing in specific titles.

Logic being, if you are already looking for a CPU and GPU at the same time, but are in a tight spot, you can buy this product that has both, then upgrade your GPU later. From the benches I've seen, this as a standalone quad core is still quite potent when paired with a dGPU, and exists on a platform where 8c, 16t CPU's can be purchased in the future if ever ones demand for a higher end CPU arises.

The problem with the "it's better to save and invest in superior hardware" logic, is that it implies people already have the hardware they need to tide themselves over to upgrade to something that is strong enough outright. This is not always the case for first time system builders, and those wishing to enter the PC gaming realm without spending a fortune up front, the typical consumer of these kinds of products. Those upgrading from older platforms can likely stick it out for a better hardware configuration if what they currently have is good enough to last them that long, and in that situation, I agree with you entirely. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

18 minutes ago, MageTank said:

don't think anyone here is questioning your logic that it's best to invest in something good the first time, instead of repeatedly investing in mediocre things. People are simply stating that those on a budget are better off buying this APU for $170 on a platform that has valid CPU upgrade paths, rather than trying to buy say, an Intel i5 AND a GT 1030 that would almost certainly cost you more money up front, whilst barely out-performing in specific titles.

Def not an i5, I suggested a 1600 which is not much more than a 2400g. Great performance increase for next to nothing extra, pair it with a 1050ti and 1080 gaming will be set for quite a while.

Logic being, if you are already looking for a CPU and GPU at the same time, but are in a tight spot, you can buy this product that has both, then upgrade your GPU later. From the benches I've seen, this as a standalone quad core is still quite potent when paired with a dGPU, and exists on a platform where 8c, 16t CPU's can be purchased in the future if ever ones demand for a higher end CPU arises.

I am looking for benches of the 2400g with say a 1060 to see how it handles but at least this afternoon was not able to find it in reviews. No doubt it can handle 1060 just fine, not optimal but fine. If you have benches please share!!!!!

The problem with the "it's better to save and invest in superior hardware" logic, is that it implies people already have the hardware they need to tide themselves over to upgrade to something that is strong enough outright. This is not always the case for first time system builders, and those wishing to enter the PC gaming realm without spending a fortune up front, the typical consumer of these kinds of products. Those upgrading from older platforms can likely stick it out for a better hardware configuration if what they currently have is good enough to last them that long, and in that situation, I agree with you entirely. 

Its like the situation I mentioned earlier about it being more of a need than just "I needed a cheap gaming pc". If they need a PC now because they dont have a PC or need something for school or work with light gaming on the side, its totally justified. Def not the point I am going to argue because those two situation are totally different when it comes to budget. 

Its just a lot of people are in the mind set of now, I need it now! If you can wait a month or two for some extra spending its worth it in the long run. Again these are entry gaming cpus, it doesnt just stop at 1080@30 :P