Compilation of Ryzen APU reviews

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Or the bar is just going up because better GPUs trickle down with each gen release? Jesus christ dude, its an APU with mediocre performance @1080p, its not killing anything nor raising the bar. When the gtx 20xx comes out 1050 performance will be at that price point (as long as bullshit GPU go to normal). 

It has not one thing to do with the threat of an APU

ok show me a better combo for the price

wow

this allows for entry level gaming, office, etc on "ONE" chip

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

ok show me a better combo for the price

wow

this allows for entry level gaming, office, etc on "ONE" chip

Again if you would read my post I already mentioned I cant argue the price point. But I still think its idiotic to spend money on this instead of an actual CPU and dGPU. 

This doesnt allow for entry level gaming, it allows for people to have a shit experience while game depending on the game. Or they could spend anoth $150 and get a smooth 60fps on everything 1080p.

24 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Or the bar is just going up because better GPUs trickle down with each gen release? Jesus christ dude, its an APU with mediocre performance @1080p, its not killing anything nor raising the bar. When the gtx 20xx comes out 1050 performance will be at that price point (as long as bullshit GPU go to normal). 

It has not one thing to do with the threat of an APU

Did you even at least have a look at the review video or the graphs the OP posted? Although clearly you don't care about anything except high end desktop which most new to gaming pc's aren't going to be buying or building,certainly with how expensive building a PC is right now.

The R5 2400G performs on the CPU side on quite a few benchmarks as well as an i5 8400,at the price the 2400G is you're kind of getting the Vega graphics for free. A person on a budget can build with the 2400G and still play plenty of popular games until they can afford a better GPU,being AM4 they can always upgrade to a R7.

7 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Again if you would read my post I already mentioned I cant argue the price point. But I still think its idiotic to spend money on this instead of an actual CPU and dGPU. 

This doesnt allow for entry level gaming, it allows for people to have a shit experience while game depending on the game. Or they could spend anoth $150 and get a smooth 60fps on everything 1080p.

Here is a sample graph from one of the videos in case you didn't watch it:

Spoiler

vlcsnap-2018-02-13-02h42m09s660.thumb.png.611593b00db75f10adcb3ab3b0e8e523.png

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

In my country those $150 are almost half the minimum wage, this APU is very good for people from low income countries that cant afford more.

And come one, that is not bad performance at all.

2 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A person on a budget can build with the 2400G and still play plenty of popular games until they can afford a better GPU,being AM4 they can always upgrade to a R7.

And thats why I dont like budget builds because now thats $160 lost (could maybe sell it but no where near even half the cost). Or you could buy a 1600 and a 1050ti for about $200 more and have a much better experience without the need to upgrade at 1080p while keeping a steady 60fps. Well over double performance of just a 2400g. 

I hate budget builds. They make zero sense because if someone's budget is really that tight, spending it on a PC and games is the wrong priority. And if you really need a budget PC for say school, they are better options including box store prebuilts. 

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

And 0.98% run intel 4000 intergrated, that should be enough to show people tend to not really give a shit about gaming performance when down in the budget category. This isnt going to kill anything. People are still going to by shit sub $100 cards. 

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

I cant argue price point. I just dont see the point in buying a APU just to get performance around a 1030, because you know how much that card is bragged about. /s

I guess I just dont like budget parts as its generally a huge waste of money in the long run. 

You don't have to like the budget options, as it isn't geared towards you. For some low-income kid, that APU can save the family money when getting him a machine for Minecraft. Or is an option for someone trying to get into low level video edition.

Mid to higher end gaming systems make up a small fraction of PC's sold. If you walk into a Best Buy and see how many <$500 desktops are sold versus >$500, you'd be surprised to see budget generally wins. This integrated graphics allows this budget level to have better performance compared to Intel counterparts. May not be a great gaming experience, but on an advertising sticker, it looks like a much better deal than what's stuck on the side of an Intel box.

And on the gaming side, not everyone can (or wants) to afford high end hardware. I mean, it's like the stupid kids that play CS:GO or Minecraft and buy expensive shit to have 500+ FPS on a 60hz panel. Makes no difference. If the person is playing a simple game like free MMORPGs or something like that, this will more than suffice. Considering I've played Star Trek Online on an old Sony Vaio with integrated graphics, this will be a better experience.

19 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

And thats why I dont like budget builds because now thats $160 lost (could maybe sell it but no where near even half the cost). Or you could buy a 1600 and a 1050ti for about $200 more and have a much better experience without the need to upgrade at 1080p while keeping a steady 60fps. Well over double performance of just a 2400g. 

I hate budget builds. They make zero sense because if someone's budget is really that tight, spending it on a PC and games is the wrong priority. And if you really need a budget PC for say school, they are better options including box store prebuilts. 

Sometimes, people don't have an extra $200 bucks. It isn't always as easy as save for an extra couple months. You have kids that want to play games with their friends, but cannot help that their family lives under the poverty line (assuming dual income in that statement I guess).

If someone's budget is that tight, why can't they try to have a low budget gaming PC? They don't deserve a break to relax at all? And (as mentioned above), what do you think is going to be put into these box store prebuilts? I have had rough times occasionally, but it doens't mean that me (as a parent) uses this as a reason to make my child not feel like he can fit in with his friends. This will sell better to families looking to purchase a budget PC for a kid for school or even a family PC with some entry level gaming potential.

If people didn't buy these things, they wouldn't sell them.

Again, you aren't the target audience, so I don't understand why you keep flaming on about this.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

That's such an elitist point of view "You shouldn't spend on entertainment if you don't have X amount of disposable income". Everyone has a right to spend their money the way they want, and a need for entertainment, from the bottom to the top of the stack.

OT: Seems like the 2400G GPU is performing just below the RX 550 in most graphics tests, despite having more CUs. Factors that limit its performance include clockspeed on a lower-power thermal design, and a memory bandwidth bottleneck. In fact for the latter we have a nice chart from TPU

image.png.91ecce6f84945ebef2740025357de3ee.png

Overall the launch of this product looks good, it's the king of performance inside its niche. I'm personally excited to build a computer with this chip for a friend who's looking to do some budget video editing.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

13 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You don't have to like the budget options, as it isn't geared towards you. For some low-income kid, that APU can save the family money when getting him a machine for Minecraft. Or is an option for someone trying to get into low level video edition.

Mid to higher end gaming systems make up a small fraction of PC's sold. If you walk into a Best Buy and see how many <$500 desktops are sold versus >$500, you'd be surprised to see budget generally wins. This integrated graphics allows this budget level to have better performance compared to Intel counterparts. May not be a great gaming experience, but on an advertising sticker, it looks like a much better deal than what's stuck on the side of an Intel box.

And on the gaming side, not everyone can (or wants) to afford high end hardware. I mean, it's like the stupid kids that play CS:GO or Minecraft and buy expensive shit to have 500+ FPS on a 60hz panel. Makes no difference. If the person is playing a simple game like free MMORPGs or something like that, this will more than suffice. Considering I've played Star Trek Online on an old Sony Vaio with integrated graphics, this will be a better experience.

Sometimes, people don't have an extra $200 bucks. It isn't always as easy as save for an extra couple months. You have kids that want to play games with their friends, but cannot help that their family lives under the poverty line (assuming dual income in that statement I guess).

If someone's budget is that tight, why can't they try to have a low budget gaming PC? They don't deserve a break to relax at all? And (as mentioned above), what do you think is going to be put into these box store prebuilts? I have had rough times occasionally, but it doens't me that me (as a parent) uses this as a reason to make my child not feel like he can fit in with his friends. This will sell better to families looking to purchase a budget PC for a kid for school or even a family PC with some entry level gaming potential.

If people didn't buy these things, they wouldn't sell them.

Again, you aren't the target audience, so I don't understand why you keep flaming on about this.

Amen! This is my sentiments exactly! 

I am looking to make a budget build for my son, who is 11. With today's graphic card prices and ram prices, it would be virtually impossible. This apu just opened the doors to replace my htpc/light gaming computer (old one is an fx6300 and R9 280x) and give him my old htpc for some medium 1080p gaming. This will be perfect. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

5 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Im not saying to play at 500+ or hell even 100+ fps. Most games seems to run at 20-30 fps which is a meh experience. (also think is great seeing a lot of people here who bash on console players praising this APU). Will it get the job done, damn right it will, but having a smooth experience is part of enjoying gaming. 

8 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Still my point stands. Yes, the kid should enjoy gaming with his friends and relax. But this budget system is still going to be $400, not including the cost of games. To someone in poverty, that $400 can go to a lot more than a PC, food, gas, rent...

17 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Yeah Im not the target audience but I still have an opinion on the performance of this chip. Especially when someone says its a GPU killer. 

Overall it's a very nice APU and good to get for a new budget build when graphics cards prices are insane now. 

Great step up from last gen APUs for sure. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 minutes ago, Energycore said:

That's such an elitist point of view "You shouldn't spend on entertainment if you don't have X amount of disposable income". Everyone has a right to spend their money the way they want, and a need for entertainment, from the bottom to the top of the stack.

Im not saying how people should spend their money, but anything that you have to rebuy later on means you are literally throwing money out the window in the long run. But people only think of the short term of I NEED IT NOW!!!! Instead of hey if I wait a month or two I can spend my money more wisely. 

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Im not saying to play at 500+ or hell even 100+ fps. Most games seems to run at 20-30 fps which is a meh experience. (also think is great seeing a lot of people here who bash on console players praising this APU). Will it get the job done, damn right it will, but having a smooth experience is part of enjoying gaming. 

Experience is all about individual people. For example I am fine having my frame rate at 30 fps. So this APU will absolutely be a smooth gaming experience for me. And I am sure most <16 year old will agree with that

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

6 minutes ago, miagisan said:

Amen! This is my sentiments exactly! 

I am looking to make a budget build for my son, who is 11. With today's graphic card prices and ram prices, it would be virtually impossible. This apu just opened the doors to replace my htpc/light gaming computer (old one is an fx6300 and R9 280x) and give him my old htpc for some medium 1080p gaming. This will be perfect. 

Agreed. My son and I are building a gaming PC for one of his friends (8 years old). This will be for Minecraft and Roblox. It's currently going to have Phenom 1055T (or FX 6350) and a GTX 480. These are just old parts I have laying around. Something like this would probably be much more efficient. Smaller case requirements, so less space in his home. And less power consumption, so save a bit on electricity. For something that is going to have low requirements, this is a good thing. Doesn't have to run Crysis.

Still my point stands. Yes, the kid should enjoy gaming with his friends and relax. But this budget system is still going to be $400, not including the cost of games. To someone in poverty, that $400 can go to a lot more than a PC, food, gas, rent...

You seem to go super drastic in assuming that if you are low income, you can barely afford food, gas, rent, etc... I've seen low income families purchase a PC because its easier and cheaper than sending their kid to the library to do homework. Or because it's cheaper to have internet on a PC than it is to buy a smart phone with data plan. Purchasing something low budget doesn't constitute the drastic extent of nearly starving to death or being evicted. It just means there is a budget.

I'm not going to sit here and type additional things and waste any more of my time because your mind is closed to anything outside of your own preconceived notions and your process of rationalization. Which is fine. I wish you the best of luck with that...

So basically this thread is people who acknowledge that AMD actually stepped up their APU game with their Raven Ridge APU series and @mynameisjuan saying that the only things that matter are dedicated graghics or anything with an Intel label on it just further solidifies my assumption that he is zMeul 2.0 xD

Also says this...

8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Im not saying how people should spend their money

AFTER saying this...

38 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

14 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

C'mon dude, quit being so two faced and stick to the dedicated GPU threads since you're obviously so repulsed by anything less than HEDT...

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You seem to go super drastic in assuming that if you are low income, you can barely afford food, gas, rent, etc... I've seen low income families purchase a PC because its easier and cheaper than sending their kid to the library to do homework. Or because it's cheaper to have internet on a PC than it is to buy a smart phone with data plan. Purchasing something low budget doesn't constitute the drastic extent of nearly starving to death or being evicted. It just means there is a budget.

I'm not going to sit here and type additional things and waste any more of my time because your mind is closed to anything outside of your own preconceived notions and your process of rationalization. Which is fine. I wish you the best of luck with that...

Budgets are in place for a reason no matter what you buy and is usually priced around bills and COL. A low income purchasing a cheap PC because its cheaper than the library or cheaper to have a PC and internet than smart phones is not even close to this article about budget APUs and gaming. Thats talking about actual work which is more justified than playing minecraft. 

My mind is not closed, I just see that if you have a budget because how little money someone makes, spending on a cheap gaming PC is not the smartest thing to do. And if they are really on a tight budgets and NEED a pc, you know for actual work, you can pick up cheaper parts. 

13 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

So basically this thread is people who acknowledge that AMD actually stepped up their APU game with their Raven Ridge APU series and @mynameisjuan saying that the only things that matter are dedicated graghics or anything with an Intel label on it just further solidifies my assumption that he is zMeul 2.0 xD

Also says this...

AFTER saying this...

C'mon dude, quit being so two faced and stick to the dedicated GPU threads since you're obviously so repulsed by anything less than HEDT...

-> this = solution()

I want someone to LN2 cool this thing just to spite him... lol.

And zMeul! I remember that guy! lol. Someone came on the forum earlier with the same icon....

24 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Also says this...

AFTER saying this...

Wow, comparing me to zMuel.....that was a low blow. And I am not telling people how to spend, just saying its stupid to spend it that way. 

My argument was spun off a budget APU argument. When the 2400g get a mobile version, you're damn right I will be impressed because thats a huge bump in performance for ultra books. But on the desktop side, saving a little more instead of having to re-buy a CPU and GPU (1600 or even 1400 and 1050ti would give MUCH better performance and instead of having to upgrade as often will last even longer in the long run). 

Wow, comparing me to zMuel.....that was a low blow. And I am not telling people how to spend, just saying its stupid to spend it that way. 

My argument was spun off a budget APU argument. When the 2400g get a mobile version, you're damn right I will be impressed because thats a huge bump in performance for ultra books. But on the desktop side, saving a little more instead of having to re-buy a CPU and GPU (1600 and 1050ti would give MUCH better performance and instead of having to upgrade as often will last even longer in the long run). 

There are always people who will want to spend the least to get the most for their money. For instance when people win the lottery one of the things they do is usually go buy a fancy & fast sports car and a huge house to flaunt their newfound wealth. I on the other hand would buy a loaded Prius and a nice 3 bedroom house and call it good enough simply because I see those things as frivolous. Just because I see them as pointless purchases doesn't mean I feel inclined to voice those views on everyone else who happens to make those purchases. Do I think it's stupid? Yes. Do I go on sports car forums and deride everyone on there for their opinions, no xD

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I cant argue price point. I just dont see the point in buying a APU just to get performance around a 1030, because you know how much that card is bragged about. /s

I guess I just dont like budget parts as its generally a huge waste of money in the long run. 

Yeah in your opinion. I Have a GTX 1080 But that doesn't mean there is not a market of people who buy pcs to play Lol Over watch CS GO Rainbow 6. Thoese and many other games will run on this. and play the occasional Harder to run title at really low settings for the 1 or 2 of them they try out.  There is a market here its just not us. 

23 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

My mind is not closed, I just see that if you have a budget because how little money someone makes, spending on a cheap gaming PC is not the smartest thing to do. And if they are really on a tight budgets and NEED a pc, you know for actual work, you can pick up cheaper parts

The PC could be multi-functional for a family. Parents use it for whatever parents do and the kid(s) can game on it along with doing homework or whatever. Assuming the price of the PC is about $500, then that might be cheaper than buying an office PC and a console or whatever for the kid(s). With PC games being fairly cheap at times, that could also help.

That said, it depends on the circumstances of the buyer. Something like this could still be out of reach in certain areas and for certain people. Or something else like not many people would want to share a single PC.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I just realized there's one other aspect to the AMD Ecosystem not mentioned in all of this yet: FreeSync. That's going to be interesting to see play out over time. (It's also sad that a good, 75 Hz, 27 inch 1080p FreeSync monitor is cheaper than 16 Gb of DDR3000 RAM right now.)

36 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Just because I see them as pointless purchases doesn't mean I feel inclined to voice those views on everyone else who happens to make those purchases. Do I think it's stupid? Yes. Do I go on sports car forums and deride everyone on there for their opinions, no xD

I didnt come here just to say budgets are stupid. It was brought up and I side railed it. But I am the same way, if I won the lottery I finish my Jeep, buy a nice $100-200k house and retire for life. I dont need much. 

33 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I just realized there's one other aspect to the AMD Ecosystem not mentioned in all of this yet: FreeSync. That's going to be interesting to see play out over time. (It's also sad that a good, 75 Hz, 27 inch 1080p FreeSync monitor is cheaper than 16 Gb of DDR3000 RAM right now.)

Paul from Paul's Hardware touched on this. (Maybe others, I've only watched Paul's and Linus' reviews) Only thing to take note for anyone taking the APU(?) route is to make sure that the motherboard has a DisplayPort since FreeSync can only be utilized through it.