Whats Your Favourite Element On The Periodic Table, And Why?

iamdarkyoshi
26 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm into biochem as that is my bachelor's degree. I detested inorganic chemistry as well as physical chemistry even though the latter is important. I don't even get why we need to study an isotope that doesn't exist in nature other than in books like the one below?

He_1.png

I don't need to study that ;) awks

Oxygen

Ununpentium

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Neptunium, Obviously xD 

Neptunia ftw  

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

Titanium, best metal. stronk

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I hate sodium and chloride because every CS GO and Overwatch match I get so much off it

Spoiler

image.jpeg.49cd454c6d576a51f2bdf7ac7e4bea24.jpeg

Actually every competitive game lol

Edited by Eduard the weeb

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Astatine

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

6 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Agreed with Bismuth

Agreed with 8uhbbhu8.

108929_eic0614_elements_630m.jpg

Linus is my fetish.

Which ever one got spilled on me 10 years ago that makes me read minds

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Hydrogen, since that's what I, and the rest of you are mostly made of.

That's not quite correct

500px-201_Elements_of_the_Human_Body-01.jpg

despite the higher number of hydrogen atoms in water compared to oxygen, their mass is almost 16 times lower.

Personally I'd go with carbon for its flexibility.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That's not quite correct

despite the higher number of hydrogen atoms in water compared to oxygen, their mass is almost 16 times lower.

Beat me to it. Definitely carbon. We live and die by it.

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

That's not quite correct

Its such a confusing topic this. I misheard in one of Biology lectures that the body contains mostly carbon, maybe it was by mass not percentage.

Then Im in a pub with people who I used to know, aceing the trivia questions gambling machine thing.

A question comes up asking what the body contains most of - Hydrogen, Oxygen or Carbon.

I instantly press Carbon before anyone else can press Oxygen thinking 'I am so smart, watch me bedazzle these numpties' ....

YOU LOSE, THE CORRECT ANSWER IS OXYGEN.

Im pretty sure I lost all my 'friends' in that instance, hence 'people who I used to know'.

I think its:

Hydrogen is highest by number of atoms

Oxygen is highest by percentage

Carbon is highest by mass

Linus is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Bhav said:

Its such a confusing topic this. I misheard in one of Biology lectures that the body contains mostly carbon, maybe it was by mass not percentage.

Then Im in a pub with people who I used to know, aceing the trivia questions gambling machine thing.

A question comes up asking what the body contains most of - Hydrogen, Oxygen or Carbon.

I instantly press Carbon before anyone else can press Oxygen thinking 'I am so smart, watch me bedazzle these numpties' ....

YOU LOSE, THE CORRECT ANSWER IS OXYGEN.

Im pretty sure I lost all my 'friends' in that instance, hence 'people who I used to know'.

Pretty sure that graph is in percentage of mass, perhaps you misinterpreted the statement "we are a carbon based life form" to mean "we are mostly carbon".

Here's the wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_of_the_human_body

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Pretty sure that graph is in percentage of mass, perhaps you misinterpreted the statement "we are a carbon based life form" to mean "we are mostly carbon".

Here's the wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composition_of_the_human_body

See the edit I added.

And actually I remember specifically what I misinterpreted. 

The statement in microbiology that 'every cell in human body is composed mostly of hydrocarbon chains'.

I now want to shoot any lecturer / teacher that utters that sentence. 

Linus is my fetish.

Just now, Bhav said:

See the edit I added.

Well it's not true, oxygen is first by mass. The percentage is just a mean of comparing the mass of oxygen to the total mass of your body. Saying "oxygen has the highest total mass of all elements in your body" and "oxygen makes up the highest percentage of your body's mass" is the same thing. The graph's description states

The main elements that compose the human body are shown from most abundant (by mass, not by fraction of atoms) to least abundant.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Well it's not true, oxygen is first by mass. The percentage is just a mean of comparing the mass of oxygen to the total mass of your body. Saying "oxygen has the highest total mass of all elements in your body" and "oxygen makes up the highest percentage of your body's mass" is the same thing. The graph's description states

See the other edit I added in my now last post, and yes I was wrong.

Linus is my fetish.

Carbon and Silicon.

Both have 4 valence electrons that allow incredibly strong and/or complex bonds to form. This allows them to be some of the most versatile pure elements in existence for mankind (again, this is because of their 4 valence electrons).

Simply doping Si with boron, cutting it into wafers, and heating some phosphorus into one of the sides of the wafer is the very basic beginning stages of creating a mono-crystalline solar panel (the most efficient single junction panel in existence today). Silicon's bad gap is ~1.1eV which happens to low enough for visible light (1.8eV to 3.1 eV) and some infrared to knock electrons off Silicon's valence electron band. Silicon's low band gap also allows it to be a decent to very good material in most solid state transistors. This makes is very adept with application that are related to electronics in pretty much every way. My uncle owns a mosaic tile business and that wouldn't exist without silicon because glass contains silicon. Also beaches. Silicon is in sand and beaches are nice.

Carbon can make (relatively) large and very strong crystalline structures of all shapes and sizes. It is one of the backbones of the double helix structures of DNA. Apparently carbon would be a great solar panel material (like silicon) if the panel was near a source of electromagnetic radiation that registered ~5eV of energy (very low frequency ultraviolet light). This band gap can very according to the structure of the carbon though. Graphene, buckyballs, carbon nanotubes, graphite in many things from pencils to motor brushes, fossil fuels for energy, C02 in the atmosphere to keep us warm, and even life as we know it wouldn't be possible without carbon.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

30 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Actually by mass very little of us is made of hydrogen. 

It is true that the most abundant molecular compound in our bodies is water, but hydrogen is only 1.008 g/mol while oxygen is around 16.00 g/mol. In other words, water is only around 11% hydrogen by mass, meaning that because we are about 66% water, we are actually mostly oxygen by mass. 

Think about it this way. A 100Kg human (for the sake of easy numbers) would have approximately 11Kg of hydrogen, but a little over 58Kg of Oxygen assuming a 66% ratio of water to rest of human. 

See mom, I did learn something in my college chemistry class!

I was referring to the number of molecules.

If we are talking about mass, then it would be Oxygen, then Carbon.

Edit: I meant to say number of elements.

10 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Water is a compound, not a molecule. 

Well, technically it's a molecular compound, but i'll use your wording.  ;)

11 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

If hydrogen was the most abundant molecule, then that would mean 66% of us would be H2

One water compound is 2 hydrogen, and one oxygen.

While, yes the oxygen part is much heaver, there is only one.

That would mean, if we had, say 1000 water compounds, then your body would have 1000 oxygen atoms, and 2000 hydrogen atoms.

I used the wrong wording before.

17 hours ago, Sauron said:

That's not quite correct

I think he's pertaining about the nuclear fusion of hydrogen and helium that happened billions of years ago that gave birth to the stars and the resulting nuclear fusion resulted to other elements.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

17 minutes ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Well, technically it's a molecular compound, but i'll use your wording.  ;)

One water compound is 2 hydrogen, and one oxygen.

While, yes the oxygen part is much heaver, there is only one.

That would mean, if we had, say 1000 water compounds, then your body would have 1000 oxygen atoms, and 2000 hydrogen atoms.

I used the wrong wording before.

The table is pretty dumb and confusing. It means percentage of mass, rather than percentage in body, so there is your confusion.

So we do have a lot of hydrogen. A LOT. Many times more than oxygen.

However oxygen is a very weighty molecule, it accounts for more of our weight.

Think of ourselves as big bucket and you are at the beach. You have some stones and sand in the bucket, the stones weight a lot more than the sand but the sand is much more numerous in the bucket.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

The table is pretty dumb and confusing. It means percentage of mass, rather than percentage in body, so there is your confusion.

So we do have a lot of hydrogen. A LOT. Many times more than oxygen.

However oxygen is a very weighty molecule, it accounts for more of our weight.

Think of ourselves as big bucket and you are at the beach. You have some stones and sand in the bucket, the stones weight a lot more than the sand but the sand is much more numerous in the bucket.

That was exactly what I was getting at.  Thank you for explaining it so well.

Call me boring and old fashioned, but I like Iron. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

19 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Astatine

clipping.jpg.b5ec2e5cb1e99ff6032444f2820a23ad.jpg

17 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Call me boring and old fashioned, but I like Iron. 

well that's awfully boring and old fashioned

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.