Micro Center sells GPUs at MSRP if you buy a complete system

Sources: 

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/26/16936984/graphics-card-gpu-prices-nvidia-amd-cryptocurrency-mining-stores

http://www.pcgamer.com/micro-center-will-sell-you-a-graphics-card-at-msrp-if-its-for-gaming-instead-of-mining/

Micro Center message: http://www.microcenter.com/site/customer-support/VideoCardMessage.aspx

Polygon:

The ongoing shortage of gaming graphics cards has kept prices for AMD’s and Nvidia’s midrange and high-end GPUs in the stratosphere, and retailers are taking steps to try to give gamers a better chance of buying the in-demand cards before cryptocurrency miners can snatch them up.

PCGamer:

Micro Center has raised GPU prices to parity with Amazon and Newegg, the store is willing to give discounts on graphics cards if you're buying one for use in a gaming system.

First, you must purchase the graphics card along with several other core components: CPU, motherboard, RAM, and power supply. Second, you must have an approval from an in-store manager.

This is an interesting move, we'll see if other retailers take similar approaches.

The way I see it this is a win-win, they get to sell more systems (probably) and customers get a fair price on GPUs, given you want a new system and not just an upgrade.

Edit: sorry for the misleading original title, I just kinda copied the title from PCGamer, fixed it.

Edited by Shaggy25

So basically they are bundling GPUs with other system components?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

7 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

So basically they are bundling GPUs with other system components?

This.

If you already have a nice system and want to do a quick upgrade, you're still getting the finger.

Just now, Mooshi said:

This.

If you already have a nice system and want to do a quick upgrade, you're still getting the finger.

Sadly yes...

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

@Rune Would showing a photo with a name or ID allow the purchase of said GPU without having to buy all of the other components?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

@Rune Would showing a photo with a name or ID allow the purchase of said GPU without having to buy all of the other components?

Probably not considering they are trying to sell them in bundles with the other components.  And why would a photo ID have anything to do with the purchase anyway?  I have a fake photo ID that I bought on a trip to visit Alcatraz that has Charlie Manson's photo on it.  Think that will work?

I visited a local mc store today and that's what they basically told me as well basically pay their exorbitant price or literally spec out an entirely new build. Literally screw that. I have no problem waiting for a few months.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Probably not considering they are trying to sell them in bundles with the other components.  And why would a photo ID have anything to do with the purchase anyway?  I have a fake photo ID that I bought on a trip to visit Alcatraz that has Charlie Manson's photo on it.  Think that will work?

You never know. Plenty of people have systems and Micro Center might allow it under exceptions.  

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

13 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

Sadly yes...

I will agree with this.

Total bullshit if you ask me.. They can rot. I'll never set foot in one of their stores again.

Not only do they up prices on a sketchy premise, they then try to use it to sell a complete systems worth of parts. At their inflated markup as well, I'm sure, so no real loss for them as they probably double their inflated take with this new grift. Next they will be setting their prices off of eBay I bet...

Passmark 4507

Time Spy   3837

Fire Strike   11287

7 minutes ago, billstelling said:

Not only do they up prices on a sketchy premise, they then try to use it to sell a complete systems worth of parts. At their inflated markup as well, I'm sure, so no real loss for them as they probably double their inflated take with this new grift. Next they will be setting their prices off of eBay I bet...

They're trying to reduce the affect of skyrocketed demand gobbling up a static supply due to an unstable market niche, and they've got the best prices 9 times out of 10 otherwise.

It's going to be worked around, but Microcenter is making it three and a half bitches to work around.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

"hey guys come buy a overpriced computer parts and prove that it's for gaming and we'll still over price the stuff you buy" sounds great to me

I for one am happy Micro Center is at least offering some form of way to get around the price hike.

For those who actually are building a new system from scratch, micro center just saved them a few hundred dollars (or however much the discount is)

I suppose if you already have a system but just want to upgrade GPU, try to find someone who's building a new system from scratch, and tell them to get two GPU's instead of one, and you buy off them (assuming they want to get the same GPU you do)

44 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Officially, no. They are on this very hardcore because that doesn't stop resellers/miners from finding people in the parking lot and paying them $10 to grab a card for them.

13 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

"hey guys come buy a overpriced computer parts and prove that it's for gaming and we'll still over price the stuff you buy" sounds great to me

Or you can spend an extra $500 building it online. Go for it.

if only

i was in

THE FUCKING US

i would have a new system, and a GPU that can barely play at 1080p high.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

So... by at discount you mean, at the prices they should be sold out instead of the ridiculously jacked up prices they're at right now?

Gotcha.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I think we already have a story of a Microcenter not respecting that so yeah, fuck em. Fuck all of this industry just don't buy new GPUs and don't buy new games that would require new gpus. Chances are most of you have over 80% of your steam library with 0 hours anyway just play those and let everyone in the industry fucking rot.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, Shaggy25 said:

Sources: 

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/26/16936984/graphics-card-gpu-prices-nvidia-amd-cryptocurrency-mining-stores

http://www.pcgamer.com/micro-center-will-sell-you-a-graphics-card-at-msrp-if-its-for-gaming-instead-of-mining/

Micro Center message: http://www.microcenter.com/site/customer-support/VideoCardMessage.aspx

This is an interesting move, we'll see if other retailers take similar approaches.

The way I see it this is a win-win, they get to sell more systems (probably) and customers get a fair price on GPUs, given you want a new system and not just an upgrade.

Gamers nexus said they went to a microcenter and they basically said they wouldn't give them a discount for buying a whole system. 

5 hours ago, billstelling said:

Total bullshit if you ask me.. They can rot. I'll never set foot in one of their stores again.

That makes no sense.  Are you taking the same stance on the online retailers?  Cause they're the ones that have jacked prices the most and don't give a flying frack one way or another.

If microcentre wants to try and help, let them.  Just because it doesn't help you or I doesn't make it bad.  Though I'd suspect they're quite interested in the additional bundled sales which struck me as insincere right off the bat.  However, how else could they do it?

I'm of the opinion that gamers should just buy consoles now, the GPU prices are just too bullshit and their not the only over priced problem in PC.  Shit, even monitors are out to lunch.

4 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Honestly I have yet to find better deals on cpus than at microcenter. Are some of their other parts slightly marked up? Sometimes but a lot of times they are still priced lower than most other places. I got my 240hz monitor for 430 bucks instead of the 550 that it cost everywhere else.

4 minutes ago, MoonSpot said:

That makes no sense.  Are you taking the same stance on the online retailers?  Cause they're the ones that have jacked prices the most and don't give a flying frack one way or another.

If microcentre wants to try and help, let them.  Just because it doesn't help you or I doesn't make it bad.  Though I'd suspect they're quite interested in the additional bundled sales which struck me as insincere right off the bat.  However, how else could they do it?

I'm of the opinion that gamers should just buy consoles now, the GPU prices are just too bullshit and their not the only over priced problem in PC.  Shit, even monitors are out to lunch.

Ryzen apus might help as well. Can't really back up the price for an integrated graphics. Unless it is good at mining and they start buying all them up as well.