Yet another Intel problem... this time in AMT

porina

Today, researchers at F-Secure have revealed another weakness in Intel's management firmware that could allow an attacker with brief physical access to PCs to gain persistent remote access to the system, thanks to weak security in Intel's Active Management Technology (AMT) firmware—remote "out of band" device management technology installed on 100 million systems over the last decade, according to Intel.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/01/researcher-finds-another-security-flaw-in-intel-management-firmware/

Makes a change from yet another Meltdown/Spectre post I suppose. This is yet another way to take over a system, using features built into Intel systems without adequate security. This isn't quite as bad as Meltdown/Spectre. An attacker would need physical access to an unprotected system in the first place to set it up. It can be mitigated by setting a password to the feature. This in some ways echo early WiFi usage before security awareness was increased. I don't feel home users are significantly vulnerable to this, but if you oversee systems anyone can use, best make sure to configure them yourself before an attacker does.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

"But the latest vulnerability—discovered in July of 2017 by F-Secure security consultant Harry Sintonen and revealed by the company today in a blog post—is more of a feature than a bug. Notebook and desktop PCs with Intel AMT can be compromised in moments by someone with physical access to the computer—even bypassing BIOS passwords, Trusted Platform Module personal identification numbers, and Bitlocker disk encryption passwords—by rebooting the computer, entering its BIOS boot menu, and selecting configuration for Intel’s Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx)."

I take it AMD isn't affected by this?

9 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

I take it AMD isn't affected by this?

Nope, its just that Intel's AMT uses a default password.

Edit: Also this could have been avoided if OEMs had configured it differently:

If the system’s manufacturer has followed Intel’s recommendation to protect the Intel MEBx menu with the system BIOS password, this physical attack would be mitigated.

Edited by Guest
Shortened quote

Intel AMT is only on those business chipsets. I think it's also has something to with vPro. Some cpus supports vPro, but the board's chipset needs to support it too.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Intel AMT is only on those business chipsets. I think it's also has something to with vPro. Some cpus supports vPro, but the board's chipset needs to support it too.

I believe so, vPro is supported on the cpu side and AMT requires a dedicated hardware located on the board.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

"We appreciate the security research community calling attention to the fact that some system manufacturers have not configured their systems to protect Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx)," an Intel spokesperson told ZDNet.

Intel just brushing it and blaming other people, gee wonder where we've seen this before. 

This isn't  huge though. Any half smart company that uses the affected chips should already have their server rooms locked 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Just now, Levent said:

I believe so, vPro is supported on the cpu side and AMT requires a dedicated hardware located on the board.

Yes, in device manger it shows the hardware, and will require drivers for it to work. But it does not say Intel AMT, it says PCI simple communications controller and pci serial port. When the driver is installed it reads it as Intel AMT LMS_SOL (Com3), Intel  AMT 3.0 or any along those lines.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

at this point I feel like intel may bankrupt it self from the sheer amount of security flaws atm lol

also I know this is nearly impossible to happen right now after the strangle hold they have had on the PC market for ever now

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

4 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

at this point I feel like intel may bankrupt it self from the sheer amount of security flaws atm lol

also I know this is nearly impossible to happen right now after the strangle hold they have had on the PC market for ever now

So EPYC will do epyclly? I mean first Meltdown/Spectre affecting Intel the most, and slowing down Datacenters, and now this? My school was already considering a Threadripper 1950X or an Epyc for their new server because of this disaster.

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

Intel just brushing it and blaming other people, gee wonder where we've seen this before. 

So it's Intel's fault people didn't change the default passwords? 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Sources: F-Secure (Primary Source) via ZDNet (Secondary Source)

Intel wishes it can catch a break from all the vulnerabilities in their chips and the controversies but here's a new one and can be a way to bypass any kind of additional authentication.

A security vulnerability in Intel's Active Management Technology (AMT) remote access monitoring and maintenance platform could allow attackers to bypass logins and place a backdoor on a laptop, enabling remote access and operation of the machine.

Intel AMT is commonly found on computers with Intel vPro-enabled processors as well as systems based on some Intel Xeon processors.

So desktop processors are pretty much safe from this but not laptop processors. How serious the vulnerability is you might ask how about bypass full disk encryption like Bitlocker. This is not a weakness in Bitlocker's part but a hardware vulnerability as the Finnish cybersecurity company F-Secure states.

So how can this be exploited in practice?

The issue allows a local intruder to backdoor almost any corporate laptop in a matter of seconds, even if the BIOS passwordTPM PinBitlocker and login credentials are in place. No, we’re not making this stuff up.

The setup is simple: an attacker starts by rebooting the target’s machine, after which they enter the boot menu. In a normal situation, an intruder would be stopped here; as they won’t know the BIOS password, they can’t really do anything harmful to the computer. In this case, however, the attacker has a workaround: AMT. By selecting Intel’s Management Engine BIOS Extension (MEBx), they can log in using the default password “admin,” as this hasn’t most likely been changed by the user. By changing the default password, enabling remote access and setting AMT’s user opt-in to “None”, a quick-fingered cyber criminal has effectively compromised the machine. Now the attacker can gain access to the system remotely, as long as they’re able to insert themselves onto the same network segment with the victim (enabling wireless access requires a few extra steps).

Although the successful exploitation of the security issue requires physical proximity, this might not be as difficult for skilled attackers to organize as you might think. Sintonen lays out one probable scenario, using techniques common to cyber criminals and red teamers alike.“Attackers have identified and located a target they wish to exploit. They approach the target in a public place – an airport, a café or a hotel lobby – and engage in an ‘evil maid’ scenario. Essentially, one attacker distracts the mark, while the other briefly gains access to his or her laptop. The attack doesn’t require a lot of time – the whole operation can take well under a minute to complete,” Sintonen says.

Here's a YouTube video from F-Secure's channel explaining the gist of the vulnerability.

Here's something in more detail from F-Secure's Q&A:http://images.news.f-secure.com/Web/FSecure/{b7f942eb-8ab9-41bb-afa0-792ed76306b7}_F-Secure_Intel-AMT_FAQ.pdf?_ga=2.181747875.548637975.1515800458-1068562749.1515800458

How can this be exploited?

Intel Active Management Technology comes initially protected with the default password “admin.” If AMT is not configured (as is the case with the vast majority of corporate devices), the default password will allow an attacker with physical access to the system to enable and configure AMT.

Although the attack cannot be enacted remotely, the process is very simple and quick to complete. A simple distraction, giving an attacker a few seconds of access to the target’s laptop, is enough to successfully complete the hack. The assailant can also provision the attack using a programmed USB stick, unless USB provisioning has been disabled by the user.

The attack process is explained step-by-step below:

1. The attack starts by the assailant rebooting the target’s system and hitting CTRL-P during the boot-up process. This brings the attacker to AMT’s Management Engine BIOS extension.
  2. Once they’re inside AMT, the attacker can log in with the default password “admin.” AMT will then request the assailant to input a new password, which they can later use to gain access to the system remotely.
  3. After inputting the new password, the attacker configures AMT to allow remote network access. On default settings, user consent is required to establish the remote connection – the assailant can, however, completely disable this option from the “User Consent” configuration menu.
  4. Usually access to AMT is restricted to wired (ethernet) connections, but the attacker can also enable wireless access by connecting to the wired network and logging into the web console. From there the assailant can switch on wireless management.  
  5. The attacker can now connect to the system remotely, as long as he is in the same network with the hacked device. The actual connection can be performed with the Intel Manageability Developer Tool Kit’s Manageability Commander Tool, by using the username admin and the previously set password. In certain cases, the assailant can also program AMT to connect to their own server by using Client Initiated Remote Access (CIRA), which negates the necessity of being in the same network segment with the victim.
  6. Once logged in, the system can be controlled with Virtual Network Computing system (VNC). The target’s system is fully compromised, with the attacker having the capability to read and modify all data and applications within the boundaries of the user’s access rights.

This is serious as I know a lot of company issued laptops to have Bitlocker enabled and is using an Intel mobile processor with vPro. At the moment, Intel acknowledges the vulnerability but no patch yet, all they can offer at the moment are tips to keep your devices secure: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/technologies/Intel_AMT_Security_Best_Practices_QA.pdf

But then it's also stupid they they're not changing the default password.

Q2. Are there security concerns with Intel® Active Management Technology?

A2. The Intel® vPro™ platform and its included Active Management Technology has supplied differentiated hardware-assisted security and manageability capabilities to over 100 million systems over the last decade. When Intel receives a report of a potential security vulnerability in our products, we begin evaluation of the report. We confirm the potential vulnerability, assesses the risk, determine the impact, and assign a processing priority. After vulnerability confirmation, the priority determines issue handling throughout the remaining steps in the process. For severe issues requiring immediate mitigation steps, communication occurs through https://www.intel.com/security.

Q3. Are there security vulnerabilities in your product(s)?

A3. Intel recognizes our role in improving the security of the computing platform. Intel actively works to identify and resolve security vulnerabilities. In the event that vulnerabilities are identified, the Product Security Incident Response Team (PSIRT) works across Intel and with the security community to understand the vulnerability and the underlying issue. The PSIRT has the responsibility to communicate with our suppliers, customers, and end users. Public communications from the PSIRT team are available at https://www.intel.com/security

image.png.f7ea8280cf5818f7c77d8b7e3dd0d498.png

This makes me wonder if corporations would start looking somewhere else like, I don't know? Move to AMD? Intel and their CEO Brian Krzanich can wish they could catch a break but I think it's time for the likes of Intel, AMD, Qualcomm and even Apple to have more people inspect their microprocessors even before releasing them to the public.

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

This is not an exploit, this is the intel equivalent of not changing the default password on your router then crying design flaw when someone uses your internet and downloads movies.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This is the tech equivalent of leaving your car unlocked and running for a few hours in a dark alley.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Most non-K SKUs have it, so basically by nature PC gamers who build their own computers likely do not have it but we represent a tiny fraction of PC users.

AAANNNDDDD watch Intel stocks go down again

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Most non-K SKUs have it, so basically by nature PC gamers who build their own computers likely do not have it but we represent a tiny fraction of PC users.

Xeon of course, majority of them mobile including 8706G, and some selected non-k socket desktop also have it. 8700k and 8600k has it too.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

8700k and 8600k has it too.

Yea that's new to 8th gen, last generations vPro was absent from K's. Xeon and desktop have different AMT platforms too, although E3 Xeons use the desktop variant ME and E5/E7 Xeon uses SPS.

Guys

I think we're all overreacting here. Simmer down now.

Intel Core i9-7980XE © Intel Reference X299 Motherboard © 64GB Intel Campus Tested DDR4 4500 © x4 Intel SSD 750 1.2TB © Intel/AGP 740 VGA SLI © Haswell Ready 1600W PSU 

Huh, so i guess the Toaster is actually impacted by this? xD That's what I get for using a server motherboard I guess :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

18 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

I am legitimately wondering, where have you seen that before? 

10 hours ago, Drak3 said:

This is the tech equivalent of leaving your car unlocked and running for a few hours in a dark alley.

No it's not. If you're going for a "real world" analogy it's like not changing the default pin on your house alarm.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

18 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

image.png.6343de7abde446955d055a76de85ec7d.png

Its realistically barely affecting them

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

19 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Well it really is the fault of OEMs not changing the password to something more secure post-assembly. Sheesh the tech press are going completely googly-eyed at anything to tear Intel down after the Meltdown announcement and Krzanich's massive stock sale (which Intel has already proven with documents provided to the SEC was entirely above board and planned 2 months prior to Google making the disclosure about Meltdown to the company).