Alexa may start playing you ads

mankeez

Amazon's speaker lineup Echo is rumoured to start playing you ads based on the questions you ask. As reported in WhatHiFi (https://www.whathifi.com/news/amazons-alexa-products-could-start-playing-adverts):

These adverts could be the audio equivalent of paid ads at the top of Google searches (or similar to that brief period when the Google Home advertised Beauty and the Beast). However, while it's easy to quickly scroll past a visual advert, it's unclear whether users would be able to skip these audio ads.

According to the report, Amazon is looking to place adverts based on past shopping behaviour - suggesting products from companies you have previously purchased from. It could also put advertising into Alexa skills, so that anyone using a company's app would receive adverts for more products.

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/news/amazons-alexa-products-could-start-playing-adverts#hYswBJOlpWjBC8mP.99

They specifiaclly discuss how you can scroll right through a visual ad, users may be forced to listen to these audios. However, an Amazon spokesperson told CNBC that they do not plan on putting adds in Alexa. Wa cannot completely trust Amazon at this point yet last year, Voicelabs told us that they were placing some 15 second audio track in Alexa speakers. Amazon has denied collaborating eith the company. What do you think? Would you like to hear some guy talking about how great this new washing machine is every 30 minutes? Me neither. Share your thoughts down below.

Sources (1):

What HiFi: https://www.whathifi.com/news/amazons-alexa-products-could-start-playing-adverts

I do see the appeal of Alexa and Echo, but I don't see much point for me personally to have one.

The commercials however are excellent meme material

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I might sell mine now... it's brand new but I can't return it since I bought it at Amazon Books in the US.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

If this is true, I will be returning the 3 dots I have... I do NOT want to listen to ads at all, and plus I use them all around the house and do not want my family exposed to ads either. I wouldn't be against them ASKING if I wanted to hear and ad though, so like you ask alexa to look something up, and it goes " I have the information for you, and think you may be interested in this ad, would you like to hear it?" then you can just say "No" and she tells you the info... or at any time during the ad, you can say "skip"... as long as it's not laborious then I don't care really, but if they ruin the functionality then I'll be returning them or junking them.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I do see the appeal of Alexa and Echo, but I don't see much point for me personally to have one.

The commercials however are excellent meme material

IKR!

If they want to sell more of these then they will not do this. My mum has a  Fire Tablet and it has ads for every application. I bought her an iPad for her birthday so she doesn't have to go through that crap.

I highly doubt Amazon will pump ads into Echo Echo and Alexa, it seems silly for them to even try it, they're a monolithic company with billions of dollars behind them, pointless and stupid.

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

If they want to sell more of these then they will not do this. My mum has a  Fire Tablet and it has ads for every application. I bought her an iPad for her birthday so she doesn't have to go through that crap.

It seems like they just care about the money, and Jeff Bezos said that he wants Amazon to be the most customer centered company to ever exist. For now they are doing a GREAT job. (ehmsarcasmehm)

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

I highly doubt Amazon will pump ads into Echo Echo and Alexa, it seems silly for them to even try it, they're a monolithic company with billions of dollars behind them, pointless and stupid.

You never know with these companies.

The Amazon Echo is already a niche product Amazon, you might as well just kill it to save yourself the trouble....

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Reason #9982636634 not to own a spying tape recorder

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I really don't see the point of these when I have Siri. No ads either. Don't you Android peasants have something similar as well?

What is the difference between Alexa etc and phone assistants? Seems like wasted money.

Ads are creeping in every smart thing we own, so this is just a matter of time.

Don’t get why you would wanna have Alexa or google home in the first place. At best it’s a gimmick. And now a pretty annoying one

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just now, Nicnac said:

Don’t get why you would wanna have Alexa or google home in the first place. At best it’s a gimmick. And now a pretty annoying one

I use it to translate measurements from stupid American recipes to metric. 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, JDE said:

As I said. A gimmick...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

I don't have an Alexa or Echo, never used Siri, I don't download apps, and I quarantined Cortana to fully block her. I must say, its getting time consuming trying to block all this shit that is recording everything we do.

Problem is, there are to many people in the world using these 'resources' so companies continue to invest in this crap. The more they invest, the less likely this sort of behavior will ever end.

Why do people not care about their privacy?

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

1 minute ago, PCMasterDebater said:

He said as he posted from an OS with irremovable telemetry, using a PC with a GPU that has a built-in video encoder and a backdoored CPU.

Well while this is bad, I personally won't ever buy one of these devices for my home. Don't like the concept of Google, Amazon or whoever listening in to literally everything

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Because people would rather spend less money compared to a private service for whatever it is we're referencing.

That, and most people don't wear tinfoil hats.

No thanks.

If I wanted ads, I'd be plastering my entire house with printed ads.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Ads would be a deal breaker for me. I don't think they'd be that stupid though. If it played an ad in the morning and one at night maybe, but that's just a slippery slope to start down. 

I bought my dad a Google Home Mini for Christmas. I don't know if he'll think it's creepy or cool :P

On 1/5/2018 at 12:53 AM, Nicnac said:

Eh, it has its uses. Granted you might not find them useful, but that doesn't mean it's just a gimmick to everyone else. Don't fall into the "I don't use it so it's a gimmick" mindset. 

On 1/5/2018 at 12:54 AM, JDE said:

Didn't your measuring spoon set come with both? :P

3 hours ago, PCMasterDebater said:

I don't have an Alexa or Echo, never used Siri, I don't download apps, and I quarantined Cortana to fully block her. I must say, its getting time consuming trying to block all this shit that is recording everything we do.

Problem is, there are to many people in the world using these 'resources' so companies continue to invest in this crap. The more they invest, the less likely this sort of behavior will ever end.

Haha, I do, to a point. I'm not THAT paranoid though. They are resources. Not sure why you put that in quotations. 

There will always be a small handful of people that believe the government is out to get them and companies want to harvest every detail of their lives. Haye to break it to you, but you're likely not that special. Aside from trying to sell you something, they couldn't give less of a fuck about the rest of your life.  

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

No thanks.

If I wanted ads, I'd be plastering my entire house with printed ads.

It already kind of is, of you consider product branding ;)

I remember as a kid I loved branded tee shirts. Now they just look like blatant brand adverts to me. I'll gladly rock a Canadian or GB flag though. I'll promote that shit all day long :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red