VIA is returning to the x86 architecture CPU scene in 2018 with a new CPU

GoodBytes

When you went to buy a computer ages ago, you had 3 big CPU manufacture: Intel, of course, AMD and VIA.

VIA has left the scenes due to lackluster CPUs products in the consumer market, and decided focusing on other chips, but still worked on specialized embedded system level CPUs where the company felt it be more competitive. Over the years, they introduced a hybrid ARM-x86 CPU and presented the lowest power consuming x86 CPU with pretty good performance for what it is, but again, for embedded systems. However, with funding from Shanghai Zhaoxin Semiconductor for R&D, the company is planing a come back to the consumer PC scene with a powerful (claimed) low-powered consumer chip for 2018.

The only other active x86 architecture licensee than AMD, VIA Technologies, is planning a comeback to the x86 processor market, bolstered by R&D investment by Shanghai Zhaoxin Semiconductor. VIA and Zhaoxin have been co-developing the ZX family of x86 processors for rollout in 2018

pAu6huzWMgQl3PQ2.jpg

Already, late in 2017, the company has released a new x86 CPU which is powering Lenovo M6200 desktop PCs in China. This existing chip is the KX-5000 "Wudaoku" SoC (System-on-Chip), which includes everything, including the south bridge. It is available in 2 variant, 4 or 8 core version, without SMT (No hyper-threading like technology), 64-bit support, with a clock rate of 2.00-2.20 GHz, and can turbo boost to 2.40 GHz. It does support dual-channel DDR4, features PCI-Express gen 3.0 support, an integrated graphics chip (of course, it is a full SoC after all). And as you would expect: supports SATA 3 (6 Gbps), and USB 3.1 gen 2.

The KX-5000 chips feature 4 or 8 CPU cores without SMT, 2.00-2.20 GHz nominal CPU clock, 2.40 GHz boost clock, a dual-channel DDR4 IMC, a PCI-Express gen 3.0 root complex, an integrated graphics core, and platform I/O that includes SATA 6 Gbps, and USB 3.1 gen 2

What is more interesting, is that the company say that its next chip that they'll release sometime in 2018,  will use 16nm process, reach clock rates of 3.0GHz. And the company boldly claim that it reaches performance closer to AMD Ryzen chip. So we will wait and see on what their definition of "close to" means.

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/240137/via-making-a-comeback-to-x86-cpu-market-with-zhaoxin-r-d-monies

Would you be open to a third competitor in the CPU scene? (ie: this means to be open to buying a product with the chip?). I for one, would be interested to see again small tablets running full Windows, something that disappeared quickly when Intel canceled its Atom CPU line. Now with Windows 10 ARM, it looks like VIA would be more in competition with the Qualcomm Snapdragon which will be powering many if not all of the Windows 10 ARM devices.

I wish IBM went back in this business, it has always been a brand I really like :P

Any ways, hopefully this means more competition even if not directly in the mainstream computers scenario... I think that Intel/AMD should be forced to give out the rights of x64 to expand business competitors, they have been milking us alone for more than 10 years already... Hard not to call it monopoly already at least in this segment.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Awesome, I'd love to see this! Hope it's actually a good chip, would be so funny to own a VIA chip because of how far they have been separated from the word performance

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Great to see more competition. The true winner of all this will be the first company to move beyond silicon and bring us into the next age of computing.

3 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

Great to see more competition. The true winner of all this will be the first company to move beyond silicon and bring us into the next age of computing.

I can not wait for the first CPU that ditches silicon, will totally be an early adopter.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

... But I like overpaying for the same CPU every year. I dont want competition /s

Hopefully in a few years they'll be up to snuff .Now we just need a third GPU major supplier...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

24 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Would you be open to a third competitor in the CPU scene?

Sure, why not? As long as the performance per dollar is competitive I don't see why I'd be against it. My guess however is that they'll focus on low end products and compete against the 4 core ryzen chips. I could be wrong though, we'll have to wait and see.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

When you went to buy a computer ages ago, you had 3 big CPU manufacture: Intel, of course, AMD and VIA

Uhm there’s PowerPC by AIM (Apple-IBM-Motorola alliance) as well for Macs prior to Apple’s transition to Intel in WWDC 2005. Just saying. ? 

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Would you be open to a third competitor in the CPU scene? (ie: this means to be open to buying a product with the chip?). I for one, would be interested to see again small tablets running full Windows, something that disappeared quickly when Intel canceled its Atom CPU line. Now with Windows 10 ARM, it looks like VIA would be more in competition with the Qualcomm Snapdragon which will be powering many if not all, Windows 10 ARM devices.

Definitely. Tbh I think Microsoft’s attempt to revive the lust for W10 on ARM with SD835 is kinda meh for me and couple that by a highly redacted Windows 10S and hopefully it’ll be a successful third player to x86 processors. That’s quite the bold claim for say they’ll rival AMD Ryzen when it comes to performance. 

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

I can not wait for the first CPU that ditches silicon, will totally be an early adopter.

Some are in the works https://phys.org/news/2014-06-silicon-alternatives-key-future-consumer.html 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

6 minutes ago, Legendarypoet said:

The "problem" with that is that we may have to ditch x86 entirely for that to be possible, or deal with unnecessary overhead. What works on silicon may not work as well on different manufacturing technology. All 3 players will probably delay that moment for as long as possible.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

28 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

When you went to buy a computer ages ago, you had 3 big CPU manufacture: Intel, of course, AMD and VIA.

Honestly, my first thought apart from Intel and AMD wouldn't be VIA, it would be Cyrix.  I know VIA made chips back in the day, but to my knowledge they weren't even as popular as the Cyrix chips.

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

The "problem" with that is that we may have to ditch x86 entirely for that to be possible, or deal with unnecessary overhead. What works on silicon may not work as well on different manufacturing technology. All 3 players will probably delay that moment for as long as possible.

Yep. I just hope it doesn't end up as a long, bloody format war.... even though it definitely will.

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Honestly, my first thought apart from Intel and AMD wouldn't be VIA, it would be Cyrix.  I know VIA made chips back in the day, but to my knowledge they weren't even as popular as the Cyrix chips.

In 1999, VIA acquired Cyrix making them a solid third position behind AMD. :)

24 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

First time hearing about this company and hell yeah I would want them get into business.

VIA was a big name in the late 90's to early 2000's - they had CPU's, GPU's and mainboard chipsets - but the performance ranged from less-than-awesome to terrible.

8 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

cyrix has been acquired by national semiconductor and the Cyrix Microprocessors Division then has been sold to VIA in 1999

330px-KL_Cyrix_III_500.jpg

i thought via x86 CPUs appeared earlier but i guess my memory is not correct and it was after this deal that via appeared on the CPU market. 

Via needs to prove themselves their cpus are good. No one wants to be guinea pigs, by buying something no one has ever supported before, and waste time and resources to troubleshoot any problems that might occur.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

D'oh, you're right.  I was thinking of the old Cyrix chip I have that's labeled IBM Cyrix (yes, I have an actual IBM Cyrix chip :D).

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I thought Cyrix just kinda died, but VIA was pretty damn big and I still see them when looking at smaller than ITX options

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I will bet my life savings the Chinese government is  majorly backing this company to take a chunk of the market. 

Oh man, the CPU market is going to be really fun to see in the coming year.

All hail the new competition

2 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

I will bet my life savings the Chinese government is  majorly backing this company to take a chunk of the market. 

Considering the quote below from the OP, I believe you'd win that bet.  That was my first thought when I read that line.

44 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Already, late in 2017, the company has released a new x86 CPU which is powering Lenovo M6200 desktop PCs in China.

10 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

Oh man, the CPU market is going to be really fun to see in the coming year.

All hail the new competition

i don't know ... monopoly isn't good - that's for sure.

but too many fish in the sea is not good either.

but that will level itself on its own with redundant and superflous competitors falling back through the grid sooner or later.

from what i have seen in tech so far, it can only be three players maximum.

two "big boys" competing with each other and maybe the odd 3rd one that does not even need to compete in the same categories to be successfull. 

if via makes a return to consumer market, their best bet would be to position itself as the "nintendo of CPUs"

It would be interesting to see a 3. competitor, though I still find it be a far reach now. As said 'performance closer to Ryzen' is quite a goal all of a sudden. 

While AMD returned in CPU market in 2017 hopefully they do in GPU market as well with Navi in 2018 too. 

Also would be interesting to see a 3. GPU player as well. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 minute ago, Bcat00 said:

you are right, its time AMD died for good already so intel actually get real competition.

i don't think AMD as a CPU brand will go away any time soon - they are about as old as the x86 architecture itself.

they just need to wake the fuck up and re-learn how to actually compete - i was pleased to see AMD actually make some noise again after how many years of faildozer overhauls ?