Confused - Speed - 1 Gigabit

noobftw

What file transfer speeds over LAN should i be getting with a 200mbps internet connection, all things considered, all other devices on the network have 1 Gigabit ports in them

no 1gb theatrical maximum is about 130. so geting in the 110-125 is normal. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Current hardware 

.Asus AC68U Router (1 Gigabit Ports)

.QNAP TS-453A (1 Gigabit NIC) - Media Server with 2x WD Red 3 Terabytes drives

.Workstation - 1 Gigabit NIC with 1x WD Red 3 Terabyte drive  

What speeds should i be looking at when copying files between these machines and would it be of any benefit to going the 10-gigabit route with my current internet connection speed,  thanks in advance

Ohh and.....Powerline adapters suck

Your Internet-connection has nothing to do with LAN-speeds, unless you've somehow fucked your network up in a major way. On a gigabit-network, file-transfers within LAN should be >100MB/s.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Over LAN, your inetnert speeds don't matter as the traffic isn't leaving your network. 

If everything in your LAN is running at 1Gbps, the maximum theoretical transfer speed will be 125MB/s, but it never really works like that. When you account for performance overheads, you're more likely to around 110-120MB/s max. I personally max out at about 115MB/s most of the time. 

Bear in mind those are max transfer speeds. If you're moving a load of small files from one HDD to another over the network, it will be slower. Also, other traffic on the network can slow the transfers down, if they're using bandiwdth up on the same links. 

if every link in the chain is 1Gbps, then you should be getting LAN speeds of nearly 1Gb

note that Gigabit =/= Gigabyte

1 Gigabit (Gb) = 0.125 Gigabyte (GB)

^ Divide by 8 to get from bit to byte

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, noobftw said:

Current hardware 

.Asus AC68U Router (1 Gigabit Ports)

.QNAP TS-453A (1 Gigabit NIC) - Media Server with 2x WD Red 3 Terabytes drives

.Workstation - 1 Gigabit NIC with 1x WD Red 3 Terabyte drive  

What speeds should i be looking at when copying files between these machines, thanks in advance

Theoretically, up to 125MB/s

Realistically, up to 110-120MB/s

The "up to" is important as the type of files being transferred and the traffic on the network can affect transfer speeds as well. 

So within the LAN... the file transfer speeds would be bottlenecked by the HDD drive speed capability? 

8 minutes ago, noobftw said:

So within the LAN... the file transfer speeds would be bottlenecked by the HDD drive speed capability? 

If your HDD can't write faster than 120MB/s, then yes

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

10 minutes ago, noobftw said:

Yes if the drives are capable of transferring faster than the network speed. It depends on how busy the network is in general. If you have three other devices streaming HD video, they're going to chew up some of that bandwidth.

Thanks all, very helpful information. One more question...What read/write speeds would I get out of x4 WD 3TB REDS in raid 10 - would i be bottlenecked form this within a 10 Gigabit local area network or would i then need SSD's to benefit or even use an SSD as cache disk alongside the HDD's :/

7 minutes ago, noobftw said:

Thanks all, very helpful information. One more question...What read/write speeds would I get out of x4 WD 3TB REDS in raid 10 - would i be bottlenecked form this within a 10 Gigabit local area network or would i then need SSD's to benefit or even use an SSD as cache disk alongside the HDD's :/

For 10Gbit you'll need about 16 in RAID 10 or 8 in RAID 0 :)

I had a bunch of 5TB WD Reds and they got about 170MB/s to 180MB/s each (1.4Gbit, give or take)

Of course you'll need less SSDs to max out a 10Gbit link.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 hour ago, noobftw said:

What file transfer speeds over LAN should i be getting with a 200mbps internet connection, all things considered, all other devices on the network have 1 Gigabit ports in them

It depends on what you're actually asking.

Your internet download speeds will never exceed your ISP connection - 200 Mbps = 25 MB/s.

Your internal transfers, between different computers inside the LAN (eg: a NAS and your desktop), assuming 1Gbps Ethernet connections between all, will top out at 125 MB/s. But realistically, you probably won't see the connection go much over 100 MB/s.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I am having a slight problem, i am getting 120MB/s writing from my NAS - WD RED/RAID 0 to my Windows 10 system but when copying from my Windows 10 system (which also holds a WD RED) to the NAS i am only getting 50MB/s :( what is going on.... both machines are plugged into the routers gigabit ports... Am i right in thinking the speed should be the same too and from the nas

When benchmarking the HDD in the Windows 10 PC  i am getting 120MB/s 

3 hours ago, noobftw said:

I am having a slight problem, i am getting 120MB/s writing from my NAS - WD RED/RAID 0 to my Windows 10 system but when copying from my Windows 10 system (which also holds a WD RED) to the NAS i am only getting 50MB/s :( what is going on.... both machines are plugged into the routers gigabit ports... Am i right in thinking the speed should be the same too and from the nas

When benchmarking the HDD in the Windows 10 PC  i am getting 120MB/s 

You're going to need to elaborate on the size of the files you are moving. Remember that the specs of the NAS dont match that of the system, while not a huge issue typically unless you are constantly moving data back and forth every minute. The NAS has to receive the file information in to its memory then write it to the drive. 

The 50MB/s speed remains constant no matter what size file is used, both machines are connected to router via cat 7 cable also