Why are mods removing Net Neutrality threads?

D Levy
Go to solution Solved by WkdPaul,

nah, has to do with the OP, there's no problem with talking about net neutrality, as long as there's no political discussion (as per the Community Standards) or as long as it's done in a mature and responsible manner (which wasn't the case).

If the OP and replies are only swears and memes, it's not a thread that's going to stay open long. ;)

I was replying with information on a net neutrality thread someone made a few moments ago.

And it was removed before my reply posted.

Seen a couple other net neutrality threads which magically disappeared.

This is a hot topic that affects Canada too... 

What happens in USA will trickle out to many other countries concerning this in the long run.

Preventing the conversation doesn't make sense.

Ivan would NOT support this censorship!

My mining journey

Political disputes. NN is a highly polarized topic between those that hold the belief that it does something, and those that recognize that NN did jack shit overall.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I don't know a single fellow nerd that's for getting rid of NN... so not sure where the polarization is from or about?

My mining journey

3 minutes ago, D Levy said:

I don't know a single fellow nerd that's for it... so not sure where the polarization is from or about?

Well, net neutrality by government mandate is a highly political topic, since it essentially boils down to whether or not changes should come from the top-down or bottom-up.

Basically, it boils down to a free market vs. controlled market argument.

And that's why mods remove those topics. People get their panties in a bunch and generally act like cunts when it comes to politics.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

25 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Political disputes. NN is a highly polarized topic between those that hold the belief that it does something, and those that recognize that NN did jack shit overall.

There wouldn't be a dispute if it didn't do anything, would there?

System: Thinkpad T460

Just now, Volbet said:

Well, net neutrality by government mandate is a highly political topic, since it essentially boils down to whether or not changes should come from the top-down or bottom-up.

See that right there... free market is not possible when barriers to entry are so incredibly high.

Research how much it would be to start your own non-wifi/non-wireless broadband based ISP.

My mining journey

1 minute ago, D Levy said:

See that right there... free market is not possible when barriers to entry are so incredibly high.

Research how much it would be to start your own non-wifi/non-wireless broadband based ISP.

See, this is what I was talking about.

4 minutes ago, Volbet said:

See, this is what I was talking about.

My response wasn't me acting "like a cunt or panties in a bunch" lol

It's a fact, I mean I don't have anything against people who want ISPs to do whatever they want.. I think it's unrealistic to expect ISPs who are self regulated to be honorable and do what's best for the customer. But apart from that, the free market argument doesn't work in oligopoly markets. This is something we learn in economy classes in college for our undergrad degrees.

edit:

that's all I'll say about it in this thread. lol

My mining journey

My response wasn't me acting "like a cunt or panties in a bunch" lol

It's a fact, I mean I don't have anything against people who want ISPs to do whatever they want.. I think it's unrealistic to expect ISPs who are self regulated to be honorable and do what's best for the customer. But apart from that, the free market argument doesn't work in oligopoly markets. This is something we learn in economy classes in college for our undergrad degrees.

I didn't necessarily mean that you acted like a cunt, but you did take a political and economic stand on the whole net neutrality issue (even when such a response wasn't provoked nor was it necessary). 

And that means that there will be people that will disagree with you and they will at some point begin acting out, which is why it's better that these kinds of threads gets locked before shit hits the fan.

27 minutes ago, Speedyv said:

There wouldn't be a dispute if it didn't do anything, would there?

Many people believe NN stops carriers from throttling, and a few other minor things. It doesn't, it stops them from charging content creators to not throttle them, which no ISP did.

And even if it were to stop all throttling, how do you prove bottlenecks are artificial throttling and not a bottleneck somewhere between you, the ISPs, and the host site? Realisitcally, you don't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Likely a combination of there already being a thread about it, and the fact that the forum isn't mature to handle such topics.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

Likely a combination of there already being a thread about it, and the fact that the forum isn't mature to handle such topics.

Could you link the active thread please? if there's only one thread allowed, I'd like to post there some info.

My mining journey

political or not

this can actually affect ltt by far especially from US users

possibly less subscribers and less future subscribers if people are being throttled

should be 1 topic about it in section itself to let people know how and what they can do to stand up

Could you link the active thread please? if there's only one thread allowed, I'd like to post there some info.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

it stops them from charging content creators to not throttle them, which no ISP did.

Actually ISPs did do just that when the content creator was a competitor to their own services.  This is just one of the examples

https://consumerist.com/2014/02/23/netflix-agrees-to-pay-comcast-to-end-slowdown/

nah, has to do with the OP, there's no problem with talking about net neutrality, as long as there's no political discussion (as per the Community Standards) or as long as it's done in a mature and responsible manner (which wasn't the case).

If the OP and replies are only swears and memes, it's not a thread that's going to stay open long. ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

42 minutes ago, Volbet said:

And that's why mods remove those topics. People get their panties in a bunch and generally act like cunts when it comes to politics.

it's my way or the highway y'all

LTT community during 2016 US Presidential Election Cycle

Tis a shame people lack the ability to resolve things in a constructive manner that leads to a peaceful resolution. I'm not talking just about online but also irl.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

5 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Like I was saying, when it gets political people don't seem to know how to come from a point of understanding where the other(s) are coming from and throw threats and remarks towards the other for not adhering to their religion political views. It's a shame honestly.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

8 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Like I was saying, when it gets political people don't seem to know how to come from a point of understanding where the other(s) are coming from and throw threats and remarks towards the other for not adhering to their religion political views. It's a shame honestly.

I think that has a lot to do with the current average level of emotional intelligence,

apart from the Dunning–Kruger effect which imo is just rampant in online interactions right now in what seems like every age demographic...

the average IQ may or may not be improving with technical aspect or problem solving... 

but emotional IQ is not something that's currently tested for in standardized IQ tests.

And generally the skills to be to handle emotional stress are not taught in most circular programs.

In recent years we did the WORST possible thing to try to handle that in handing out "participation trophies"....

which completely devalued hard work and true competition among peers to improve.

That also gets rid of a situation where one can learn how to handle emotional stress.

EG.. say you train your butt off  for something... and you fail.. you then feel symptoms of depression and frustration... now that you FEEL that.. you can then LEARN to cope.

This is where your parents or teachers come in to explain/teach you how to healthily cope.

Ever talk with anyone from the "responsibles" age?

This was before baby boomers.

The general emotional intelligence that generation had with coping with stress was amazing.

Humanity seems to me to be declining in that ability in general since then.

Not everyone, just in general.

Alright so full circle... bring this back to how people handle online interaction and IRL discussions.

The ability to keep your emotions entirely in check and look at a situation from an objective and humble point of view,

that's a level of emotional intelligence that is no longer common.

And this is part of why we have the social interaction problems we have today.

My mining journey

37 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

which no ISP did.

Verizon actually did on video streaming

@Drak3

its more about stopping something like this imo

literal depression.jpg_large

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

7 hours ago, D Levy said:

This is a hot topic that affects Canada too... 

What happens in USA will trickle out to many other countries concerning this in the long run.

Really? Which countries?  Because what happens in the USA means bugger all over here.

I always hear Canadians saying that. I think it's mostly Canada, not "many other countries".

Edited by killcomic

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

16 minutes ago, killcomic said:

Really? Which countries?  Because what happens in the USA means bugger all over here.

I always hear Canadians saying that. I think it's mostly Canada, not "many other countries".

New Zealand reporting it,

Yip beans Bugger all over here.

And as an South African Resident till a year ago I can safely report that Yip.. Means bugger all over there too. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

13 hours ago, D Levy said:

I don't know a single fellow nerd that's for getting rid of NN... so not sure where the polarization is from or about?

At least one of the mods is openly and strongly against net neutrality and want it abolished. 

I suspect that it has something to do with threads being deleted and locked.