[added analysis] October Steam survey: Windows 10 loses 17.3% market share, Windows 7 gains 23.7% market share

Delicieuxz
3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

While I wouldn't doubt people went away from using Windows 10, it really does seem like people in mainland China use Windows 7.

If it can explain why the amount of English users in percentage went down, it'd likely also explain that.

Yeah looking at the numbers I'd say it had a ~3-4% legit drop possibly and the rest was China influx which would explain the drastic change.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Yeah looking at the numbers I'd say it had a ~3-4% legit drop possibly and the rest was China influx which would explain the drastic change.

Even then, I'd say that's a little too high, but yeah.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Even then, I'd say that's a little too high, but yeah.

Well yes it is a rough guess on my part could be as low as a single % but there is a gap between the increase due to chinese influx and the decrease by win 10, and that is assuming no one in china has windows 10 hence the 3-4% figure I threw out, there are other variables but it does appear at least some domestic loss occurred.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Apparently Windows 10 dropped but DX12 increased. It pretty much invalidates Steam Survey as a useful tool. That obviously makes no sense.

Its pubg lel China numba wan cheats ... 

I wonder how long its gonna take china to ban steam ... like they do with everything 

Let's agree to disagree

I had some initial issues with the Windows 10 upgrade (had to reinstall some drivers) but since then I've had little issues.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

funny how RTG cards are still labled ATI, like yah, there are probably people running ATI cards still and they are basically the same but thats going to be a smal portion of the cards. about time that they change it to RTG or Radeon, its been over 10 years since ATI were no more

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

its PUBG growth, read a few days ago a pcgamer article, where besides win 7 dramatic jump, chinese also jumped, and a lot, it jumped 26% more that the 22% of win7 just looks yourself here http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

and here's the pcgamer article http://www.pcgamer.com/steam-data-suggests-gamers-are-ditching-windows-10-but-theres-another-explanation/ but the gist of it is the survey page and this steam spy tweet that shows the stupid fast chinese grow for PUBG.

As for chinese sticking to win7, i dunno the reason at all, but china is also the largest, and by far, hold out in the planet for winxp users. people there just don't upgrade i guess...

On 11/5/2017 at 4:22 PM, MrTiC said:

I wonder how long its gonna take china to ban steam ... like they do with everything 

steam in china is managed by perfect world, which are a fully local company, its probably coincidence but china usually doesn't ban stuff that local companies run or have a part in them, hell china has banned a bunch of western game but f2p chinese clones of those game are ridiculous popular. 

at most they could force valve and perfect world to only sell games that must be pre approved or something like that.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Even though dx12 is 10 only?

Hahahahah get rekt MS.

Also, why 7 and not 8? 8 is faster. I typically use that with classic shell and I'm pretty happy with it. 

Because 8 was so bad that they almost immediately released a revision, 8.1

You really need to differentiate between the two because they are still separate builds of windows. One works, the other is a complete mess. but the windows 8 brand is just tainted thanks to the abysmal reception of 8.

None of that compares to the cluster fuck that is windows 10 though. Forced updates, ads pushed onto your start window and task bar, a pseudo-always online requirement, its just moronic. Microsoft don't seem to get it. We don't want our logins to be our emails, we don't want to be forced to do ANYTHING despite how beneficial or quick it might be, and we absolutely do NOT want ads and system locked content.

Eh, i'd agree with those people though, if I were to roll back I'd just go back to 7. None of my old pro keys work anymore though and I've already bought 3 w10 pro keys because activation on my machines was a colossal nightmare. Guess i'll try to get my monies worth.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

So funny to read when people proselytize over Windows 10 being trash, it's akin to reading Intel vs AMD  arguments. 

Always a vocal minority, while most everyone else just uses what they have and dungiveafaq.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

Looking at those graphs, I suspect Valve has changed their survey methodology, rendering comparisons somewhat useless (even more than the Steam hardware survey usually is).

Surveys like this generally are pointless anyway, it's totally dependent on who gets the survey and who actually responds to it. Steam need to also include the number of people offered the survey, how many completed the survey and what the margin of error is.

Very few people actually change Windows OS without changing hardware, people who do that such as myself represent a much smaller group likely smaller than the margin of error of this survey. 

2 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

So funny to read when people proselytize over Windows 10 being trash, it's akin to reading Intel vs AMD  arguments. 

Always a vocal minority, while most everyone else just uses what they have and dungiveafaq.

and thats why microsoft gets away with it, people love being sheeps

14 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Because 8 was so bad that they almost immediately released a revision, 8.1

You really need to differentiate between the two because they are still separate builds of windows. One works, the other is a complete mess. but the windows 8 brand is just tainted thanks to the abysmal reception of 8.

None of that compares to the cluster fuck that is windows 10 though. Forced updates, ads pushed onto your start window and task bar, a pseudo-always online requirement, its just moronic. Microsoft don't seem to get it. We don't want our logins to be our emails, we don't want to be forced to do ANYTHING despite how beneficial or quick it might be, and we absolutely do NOT want ads and system locked content.

Eh, i'd agree with those people though, if I were to roll back I'd just go back to 7. None of my old pro keys work anymore though and I've already bought 3 w10 pro keys because activation on my machines was a colossal nightmare. Guess i'll try to get my monies worth.

fine 8.1 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This is definitely related to PC gaming being on the rise in Asia, mostly for PUBG. Not defending Windows 10, just looking at the market trends.

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

<-- one of those hypothetical people that went back to windows 7.

Win10 is buggy trash.

You're telling me. A while ago, I had an issue where if I tried to run a program that required the Redistributable Visual C++ 2015 or newer, it would always ask to install it, and then would throw an error when it tried. I scoured the web for every solution I could find, and after reaching my wit's end, I decided to reinstall Windows, and that was the only thing that worked, and was an incredible pain.

And, just recently, I upgraded to the Fall Creator's update, and ever since then, certain programs have been crashing, such as the ones I use for classwork and personal projects, including Autodesk Maya, Substance Painter, ZBrush, and Bitmap to Material 3. The worse bit is, they will cease to work from the moment of a crash until I restart my computer. Games are affected too, but running games before a crash occurs doesn't seem to cause it. (I'll go into greater detail if asked)

At this point, I am extremely tempted to go back to Windows 7, because I don't need DirectX 12, and none of Windows 10's other features are compelling enough to incentivize me to stay. I am getting sick and tired of this. I keep finding issues that no one else seems to, and it's probably not Microsoft's fault because they can't catch everything, but I have always had a far better experience with Windows 7, and even Windows 8 and 8.1, for that matter. 

Once Vulkan becomes mainstream, I am going to switch to either MacOS or Linux, assuming the latter becomes more user-friendly and I don't have to go through a convoluted process to install Maya and other crucial programs.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

So it seems like a lot of Windows 7 users have now joined the pool of Steam survey users. Yawn...

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Surveys like this generally are pointless anyway, it's totally dependent on who gets the survey and who actually responds to it. Steam need to also include the number of people offered the survey, how many completed the survey and what the margin of error is.

Very few people actually change Windows OS without changing hardware, people who do that such as myself represent a much smaller group likely smaller than the margin of error of this survey. 

I don't get this (common) complaint about the Steam survey.

Yes they don't survey everyone but assuming a big enough sample size (which should be a realistic assumption to make) it should be accurate regardless. The risk of the survey ending up being biased against something particular are incredibly small once the number of surveyed reaches a decent number.

I agree that they should include the number of responses, but I don't get this assumption that it's biased. It seems like people mostly say that whenever they don't agree with the results (not saying you do this, but I have seen it in AMD vs Nvidia vs Intel threads).

"It totally depends on who gets surveyed"

No it doesn't. For each extra participant the risk of bias from the sample pool becomes smaller. Steam had over 125 million active users in 2015 and we can reasonably assume that there are more now.

Even if only 1% of users gets the survey (which I doubt consider all but two person in my group of friends has gotten it) that's probably like 1.5 - 2 million users. I haven't done the math, but if those were randomly sampled then the risk of it being biased against one particular thing should be incredibly small.

Yes, it is possible that the Steam survey is biased on purpose, but I don't get why so many people accuse the Steam survey of being biased and/or flawed without any evidence or rational reasons.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

funny how RTG cards are still labled ATI, like yah, there are probably people running ATI cards still and they are basically the same but thats going to be a smal portion of the cards. about time that they change it to RTG or Radeon, its been over 10 years since ATI were no more

I was going to post that it wasn't long ago AMD were still calling their cards ATI, but then I realized the 5000 series is now over 8 years old.

Time sure flies...

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't get this (common) complaint about the Steam survey.

Yes they don't survey everyone but assuming a big enough sample size (which should be a realistic assumption to make) it should be accurate regardless. The risk of the survey ending up being biased against something particular are incredibly small once the number of surveyed reaches a decent number.

I'm more complaining that we don't actually know the sample size, what if only 10 (extreme example) filled out the survey. The sample size needs to be stated.

Edit:

Because without it and the margin of error no one can say if the results are biased or not. It's an assumption that the participants of the survey is large enough to remove bias, I'm sure it is but statistics are pointless if they are just numbers without adhering to basic statistical practices.

Sorry didn't mean to imply the survey is biased just that it's based on respondents which we have no data points on to then assess the information being presented in the survey.

15 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Yes, it is possible that the Steam survey is biased on purpose, but I don't get why so many people accuse the Steam survey of being biased and/or flawed without any evidence or rational reasons.

If I were only to get one thing then I'd want margin of error, any changes need to be compared to that so we can tell if the change is statistically relevant or not.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I was going to post that it wasn't long ago AMD were still calling their cards ATI, but then I realized the 5000 series is now over 8 years old.

Time sure flies...

yah its been ages since the ATI name touched graphics cards, 5000 series support DX11 so they are probably in some amount of use still but i doubt they make up much of this survey lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 11/5/2017 at 3:26 PM, Tedny said:

Yea, ok, only dx12 then 

For what reason?

There's no appreciable difference over DX11...

On 11/5/2017 at 3:33 PM, RandomGuy13 said:

Windows 7 now lacks features that I have become reliant on, and the same goes for windows 8.

Like what?

Examples?

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

1 hour ago, FIXXX said:

Worse thing is how you get treated like an idiot if you actually enjoy w10! Even though it introduces pretty neat features. I personally really love the introduction of the Linux subsystems. You can easily compile a program with the console, while you use a 3d modelling program only available on Windows at the same time. You have the convenience of Linux whwre it is generally strong, while keeping the software support from windows without having to run more expensive vms or worse, to have to dual boot.

@Hellion, for instance this feature.

3 hours ago, MrTiC said:

they will for sure to make way for their own china made version.

that's how it rolls over there.

if their own people want something, it must be made in china or be in partnership with one.