My Brother Owns a Gaming PC And Does Not Manage His Cables, Should He Keep Them Messy Or Not?

SLIClocker

Title mostly explains it, He always has his cables at his setup ALWAYS messy and he will never clean them up, He does not believe me that it looks terrible and will not do anything about it, I am writing it to prove to him that he should clean his cables because it looks disgusting, Who is with me?

Current PC: "For Now Because I Have A Habit"

CPU: Intel Core I7 6700K @4.5Ghz

Motherboard: Asrock Z170 Extreme4

RAM: 16GB G.skill TridentZ 3200Mhz DDR4

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 Riing RGB Edition 

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080Ti Founders Edition MSI

Case: Limited Edition Thermaltake View 31 Riing RGB

Power Supply: CoolerMaster V750 Fully Modular

SSD: Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB

HDD: 3TB Toshiba 7200RPM

Peripherals:

Monitor: AOC U2868PQU 4K 28" 60HZ

Keyboard: G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB Cherry MX Red

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite

Mouse Pad: Razer Goliathus Speed Extended

Speakers: Creative SBS A250

Headphones: Razer Kraken Pro 7.1

If no-one else or not many people see the build it doesn't really matter how the cables look. If he doesn't care for the looks and just cares for the function of the PC, leave them be lol.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Looks horrible but if he doesnt care about looks then dont force him. 

Beauty is the eye of the beholder.  If he doesn't think HIS PC looks terrible, then there's nothing to be done.  It's not like unmanaged cables will explode or anything.

No what is mean is it is very unhealthy looking and caught a spider in there because of the cables, It is not on the inside of the pc it is on the outside, My computer is right next to his so i kind of have to force him into managing his cables, Now trust me i mean the are filthy dust all over them while my area is well cable managed and tidy and looks like a totally different world, Now do you guys understand?

Peripherals:

On 10/13/2017 at 8:41 AM, SLIClocker said:

Title mostly explains it, He always has his cables at his setup ALWAYS messy and he will never clean them up, He does not believe me that it looks terrible and will not do anything about it, I am writing it to prove to him that he should clean his cables because it looks disgusting, Who is with me?

As long as they're not on the floor in a way that makes it likely for someone to trip over it's not really an issue except for the fact that it looks shitty. Also it's his setup so he can pretty much do whatever he wants with it. If it bothers you that much, maybe get him a cable raceway as a stocking stuffer for christmas or whatever.

23 hours ago, SLIClocker said:

No what is mean is it is very unhealthy looking and caught a spider in there because of the cables, It is not on the inside of the pc it is on the outside, My computer is right next to his so i kind of have to force him into managing his cables, Now trust me i mean the are filthy dust all over them while my area is well cable managed and tidy and looks like a totally different world, Now do you guys understand?

*Sees the word spider* *Looks at your location*... :o

2 minutes ago, SLIClocker said:

I mean, spiders are his problem. 

Otherwise, cables wont harm airflow. insects getting stuck in your case fans might, but thats not what this thread is about

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Well he is 12 years old and i am trying to teach him about hygiene so yeah... Can you guys say something like "He should definitely clean his cables, Messy cables are disgusting" You would be doing me a big favor because i am going to be showing him this thread so yeah...

Peripherals:

If it's his PC, stfu about his damn cables.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

Alright guys thank you for your help, *Cough Jerks Cough Cough*.

Peripherals:

1 minute ago, SLIClocker said:

Well I dont see why it matters so much..... Like yea its ugly but is it his PC? Yes. 

45 minutes ago, SLIClocker said:

yeah Here is a video may halp

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

23 minutes ago, SLIClocker said:

It's because cable organization literally does nothing except makes it look pretty.  Also, you asked "Should He Keep Them Messy Or Not?" and we answered honestly.  Teach him good cleaning habits in terms of cleaning the dust filters and spraying out the fans with compressed air every month. You can tell him it'll be easier to clean if you tidy up the cables nicely but it's not necessary, just a nice thing to do.

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

I mean, spiders are his problem. 

Otherwise, cables wont harm airflow. insects getting stuck in your case fans might, but thats not what this thread is about

I enlighten you with the worst case scenario https://www.sweclockers.com/galleri/7923-gtx-460-vs-groda 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Just now, IKnight said:

I enlighten you with the worst case scenario https://www.sweclockers.com/galleri/7923-gtx-460-vs-groda 

I think the GPU won LOL

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

I think the GPU won LOL

I mean. Fried frog could be counted as a delicacy :P 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

3 minutes ago, chilicheeseburger said:

How on earth do you get a frog inside your PC?

I have no clue. What so ever. 

Before YouTube nobody gave a crap about cable management. 

Build Log : Red N White Army

System Specs

NZXT S340

i7 4790k

Z97 MSI Gaming 5

Palit 980 Ti Super Jetstream

16GB HyperX Savage 1866 RAM

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD

EVGA 750W G2 PSU

Custom Cooling Loop

8 hours ago, SLIClocker said:

My PC is about as tidy as you can get and spiders still cause me to have to de-web it once a week. It doesn't matter.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

As someone who used to have no idea whatsoever what's so important about cable management and is now building a custom hardline loop with custom sleeved cables, take it from me - it's not something that can be easily taught. He needs to want it. He needs to be the one who will do it.

What worked for me was watching YT channels such as LTT (to lesser extent) and Jayztwocents - show him some cool hardline builds like Skunkworks or Red Mist or some other stuff from other YT channels. Either he will like it and will want to have something as cool as that or he won't in which case - he will need to mature into that. Or not - there are adults who don't wanna invest much time in designing their PC and this is perfectly fine as well. Not everyone needs to have tempered glass hardline tubing with color matched custom sleeves and synchronized RGB lighting. Someone needs to buy those non-tempered glass cases as well lol ;-)

You can safely tell him that keeping his PC clean of dust will prolong the machine's longevity - it's not a matter of opinion, just a fact. 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I know the purpose of this thread was to be "look, see!", but dude who cares? Unless you share a room and have no choice but to look at it, it's not a big deal what your brother's PC looks like.

This is coming from someone with a tempered glass side panel and figure inside their case. I keep the looks for myself, not anyone else.

Edit: I've read a bit more and if your PCs are next to each other and attracting bugs, yeah..waaaaaaay different entirely. I've lived with my cousin before and that house had a bug problem. Killed my PSU and damaged parts of an expensive rog motherboard.

That ish needs to be cleaned ASAP!

9 hours ago, chilicheeseburger said:

*Sees the word spider* *Looks at your location*... :o

lol