Apple Siri and Spotlight switches to Google to get your web results

GoodBytes

Apple announces that Siri and Spotlight web results will now use Google search engine instead of Bing.

Apple ends its long search engine partnership with Microsoft in favor of a new one with Google.

Safari web browser already uses Google as its default search engine.

In what will likely be a big blow to Microsoft's search business, Apple is switching from Bing to Google as its default search provider for Siri and Spotlight web results. As reported by TechCrunch, web searches from Siri and Spotlight will now default to Google results instead of Bing when you ask a question.

Apple, in its statement says:

Switching to Google as the web search provider for Siri, Search within iOS and Spotlight on Mac will allow these services to have a consistent web search experience with the default in Safari. We have strong relationships with Google and Microsoft and remain committed to delivering the best user experience possible.

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/apple-drops-bing-favor-google-spotlight-and-siri-web-search-results

We don't exactly know the full impact in Bing market share from this switch, but it will definitely hurt Microsoft.

As for its users of SIri and Spotlight, search results should be improved. No details on when the switch will take place or if it has already taken place with the latest version of iOS and MacOS

this might have been a part of where those crazy high bing usages that were posted a while back were from tbh. what was it? like 50% of the US?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Bing just uses Google anyway, so why not cut out the useless middle-man?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

They always come crawling back...

Does no one see how hilarious this is? xD 

So now Apple searches will use a different competitor than they were before... 

I mean, so there's Cortana, and OK Google, ... and then Siri which is just basically a skin on one or the other xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Does no one see how hilarious this is? xD 

So now Apple searches will use a different competitor than they were before... 

I mean, so there's Cortana, and OK Google, ... and then Siri which is just basically a skin on one or the other xD 

As true as that is, I don't think anyone wants Apple making a search engine. That would be quite a nightmare scenario.

Just now, Legendarypoet said:

As true as that is, I don't think anyone wants Apple making a search engine. That would be quite a nightmare scenario.

It's ok. You'll need to use a custom web browser for Apple Search, or you buy for $80  web browser extension for Firefox/Chrome/Edge to adapt the web browser to work with Apple Search.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It's ok. You'll need to use a custom web browser for Apple Search, or you buy for $80  web browser extension for Firefox/Chrome/Edge to adapt the web browser to work with Apple Search.

You can only listen to audio with Bluetooth headphones as well.

nice ! now if cortana would let you do the same now.....

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I should really upgrade past El Capitan....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

57 minutes ago, JediFragger said:

Am guessing Google threw some serious $$$ Apple's way!!!

The more likely scenario is Microsoft contract to pay Apple ended. 

8 minutes ago, bobhays said:

The more likely scenario is Microsoft contract to pay Apple ended. 

And so Google threw more money at Apple than Microsoft did, and that's why Apple switched to Google instead of renewing with Microsoft. 

/still guessing

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, PocketNerd said:

Bing just uses Google anyway, so why not cut out the useless middle-man?

Where did you drudge up that line of BS? Bing is independant of Google.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

To be honest, I don't know why MS didn't put more effort into Bing, it's not like they don't have the resources to match google search.   I guess they just found the sweet spot between investment and return.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

And so Google threw more money at Apple than Microsoft did, and that's why Apple switched to Google instead of renewing with Microsoft. 

/still guessing

more likely apple threw money to google to use it's search engine. Bing is shit, Apples maps are shit too i think next step is google maps LOL

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

3 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

more likely apple threw money to google to use it's search engine. Bing is shit, Apples maps are shit too i think next step is google maps LOL

Bing isn't really that bad, and Siri certainly isn't bad -- so I doubt Apple would pay google to use their services if Microsoft was already on the table. Also, I'm pretty sure Apple Maps isn't shit, nor has it been shit for quite some time. It was only bad when it had issues at/near launch. 

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Sierra runs great on my 7 year old macbook :P

It's not for any performance reason.......I just don't really like restarting my laptop and having to close everything to do it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Apple announces that Siri and Spotlight web results will now use Google search engine instead of Bing.

Apple ends its long search engine partnership with Microsoft in favor of a new one with Google.

Safari web browser already uses Google as its default search engine.

Although at the moment, Siri on iOS 11 still uses Bing. Maybe changes will happen once they released the next iOS 11 patch

IMG_0516.thumb.PNG.ca2c93af0add12317b82279a4a108da5.PNG

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Although at the moment, Siri on iOS 11 still uses Bing. Maybe changes will happen once they released the next iOS 11 patch

I wonder when it'll be able to do image recognition

Screenshot_20170925-193638.thumb.png.4bd70591d4b7d22d40ebb528ef7fdb07.png

9 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I wonder when it'll be able to do image recognition

I don't think they've given Siri the rights to read contents from iCloud but it can access locally stored pictures as long as I say "Show me pictures of my dog" and Siri will think it refers to dog pictures in my local camera roll.

7 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Bing isn't really that bad, and Siri certainly isn't bad -- so I doubt Apple would pay google to use their services if Microsoft was already on the table. Also, I'm pretty sure Apple Maps isn't shit, nor has it been shit for quite some time. It was only bad when it had issues at/near launch.

When it comes to functionality siri is "სირი". This word is written in my native language. Actually siri in my native language means dick. :D Apple new about this and apologized but did not change the name.

With Bixby you can litterly do anything in your phone. Siri can't do that. Google assistant is another level. I won't even compare Siri with Google assistant. Cortana is... well... cortana and it's left without mobile OS! :D

Please look at this video. Siri can't even turn on flashlight :D Siri can't take screenshot, lock the phone, clear notifications, swipe right left, pull down notifications, open control center, edit photo and so on. Bixbys level of control is amazing and siri has none!

And when you ask something siri it usualy search it in the web. Google answers the question and you can even ask something related to previous questions and it will answer properly. Or if you ask "will i need an umbrella tommorow" It knows what you are asking and answers properly. Google assistant is amazing.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

The sooner Bing (and Yahoo for that matter) dies off the better. I'm usually dead set against monopolies but in the case of web searching Google is all you need and all you should ever use.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

The sooner Bing (and Yahoo for that matter) dies off the better. I'm usually dead set against monopolies but in the case of web searching Google is all you need and all you should ever use.

Not for Chinese citizens though. Google search and the rest of Google services are blocked while Bing and Microsoft services are allowed in PRC.

1 hour ago, mate_mate91 said:

When it comes to functionality siri is "სირი". This word is written in my native language. Actually siri in my native language means dick. :D Apple new about this and apologized but did not change the name.

With Bixby you can litterly do anything in your phone. Siri can't do that. Google assistant is another level. I won't even compare Siri with Google assistant. Cortana is... well... cortana and it's left without mobile OS! :D

Please look at this video. Siri can't even turn on flashlight :D Siri can't take screenshot, lock the phone, clear notifications, swipe right left, pull down notifications, open control center, edit photo and so on. Bixbys level of control is amazing and siri has none!

And when you ask something siri it usualy search it in the web. Google answers the question and you can even ask something related to previous questions and it will answer properly. Or if you ask "will i need an umbrella tommorow" It knows what you are asking and answers properly. Google assistant is amazing.

Watch mkbhd's latest video comparing voice assistants. 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.