Intel’s 18 CORE EXTREME EDITION!

Intel's new lineup of HEDT CPUs has finally arrived, but are they just a power-hungry reaction to AMD?

Buy the Core i9 7980XE:
On Amazon: TBD
On Newegg: http://geni.us/UA7b

Buy the Core i9 7960X:
On Amazon: TBD
On Newegg: http://geni.us/5Lq9

Buy the Core i9 7900X:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/Ap5A5Q
On Newegg: http://geni.us/BjtfQzW

Buy the Threadripper 1950X:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/oJLhSO
On Newegg: http://geni.us/CApUc8

Buy the ASUS Rampage VI Apex:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/ADuEF
On Newegg: http://geni.us/xcB1uat

Edited by GabenJr
Added Newegg links for new i9s

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

this is how much i care about x299 right now:

-i dont even know how many pins are on the socket

-i don't even know the cpu lineup

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

When Linus said 3DMark and Unigene Superposition, the chart didn't appear right away

Are you going to overclock it in a later video? Would be fun to see with a custom water cooling setup

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

1 hour ago, dfg666 said:

As expected. Fast and destroys AMD. But not in price.

If a bit more performance for almost 2x the money is "destroying" to you then sure! ^_^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, Morgan MLGman said:

If a bit more performance for almost 2x the money is "destroying" to you then sure! ^_^

Weird thing that I didn't expect was in the some of the game tests TR performed better, 7900X was still better but we know that already. Nice to know predictions come true though, more cores more power more heat = lower clocks = lower performance in lower thread workloads.

Just now, leadeater said:

Weird thing that I didn't expect was in the some of the game tests TR performed better, 7900X was still better but we know that already. Nice to know predictions come true though, more cores more power more heat = lower clocks = lower performance in lower thread workloads.

Those cases might be a result of the new cache design of Skylake-X chips, similarly to how they perform relatively poor in gaming compared to other CPUs, even to Ryzen.

Though I agree, the HCC parts (18 & 16 core) perform pretty much just as expected considering everything we knew about them before.

I'm still waiting for someone to overclock the crap out of the 7980XE on a top-notch X299 motherboard and then measure the power draw :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, leadeater said:

LTT troll build, 7980XE + 2x Vega 64 + OC everything, can your PSU take it? Lets find out. xD

This is actually the best idea for a new video! :D Though I wonder what motherboard will be required to survive this video (poor VRMs) and how expensive it will be :P

Every day the blue paint moves further up Linus' arms, maybe by the time Tech Showdown launches he'll actually look like a smurf, that'd be fun.

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

39 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I'm still waiting for someone to overclock the crap out of the 7980XE on a top-notch X299 motherboard and then measure the power draw :P

LN2...but 800W-1000W. lol

It's scary on what cinebench score was hit though...

35 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

This is actually the best idea for a new video! :D Though I wonder what motherboard will be required to survive this video (poor VRMs) and how expensive it will be :P

F8B38759-9EEF-42BF-9685-AB6A131AF794.gif.c0b903f3050a60acd54a66edc33b2b29.gif

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

6 hours ago, dfg666 said:

Fast and destroys AMD.

What? the 1950x is extremely close to the i9 7980x in a great deal of workloads, in fact they trade blows so close you can not even say "destroys" it is grammatically wrong.

@Morgan MLGman Hardware Unboxed already done a lot of power draw comparisons, OC'ed and Stock.

Spoiler

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

What? the 1950x is extremely close to the i9 7980x in a great deal of workloads, in fact they trade blows so close you can not even say "destroys" it is grammatically wrong.

@Morgan MLGman Hardware Unboxed already done a lot of power draw comparisons, OC'ed and Stock.

Reveal hidden contents

I posted that exact video in a status update today, but I wonder about more "serious" overclocks like 4,6-4,7GHz and above and how big will the power draw be then :P

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

n

Isn't cooling the biggest issue? Far more than power draw and motherboards? if at 4.1ghz it was already doing close to 80Cº on a custom loop like his, I fear for the barbecue this processor can cause hehe

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

9 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I posted that exact video in a status update today, but I wonder about more "serious" overclocks like 4,6-4,7GHz and above and how big will the power draw be then :P

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Isn't cooling the biggest issue? Far more than power draw and motherboards? if at 4.1ghz it was already doing close to 80Cº on a custom loop like his, I fear for the barbecue this processor can cause hehe

7980XE@4.6GHz. 

https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/intel-core-i9-7980xe-extreme-edition-18-cores-of-overclocked-cpu-madness/

Power Consumption:

Spoiler

Technical-Power.png

I'm actually surprised, I thought that it would draw way more power than it did :o

Temps (with a 240mm AiO):

Spoiler

Technical-Temps.png

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Temp pic that actually works lol

Technical-Temps.png

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 hours ago, scottyseng said:

LN2...but 800W-1000W. lol

It's scary on what cinebench score was hit though...

That's nothing new lol. A 3770K at 7GHz would haul 600W+ 

Threadripper actually pulls more than a 7980XE in Kitguru's test. There's the real meme. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

7980XE@4.6GHz. 

https://www.kitguru.net/components/leo-waldock/intel-core-i9-7980xe-extreme-edition-18-cores-of-overclocked-cpu-madness/

Power Consumption:

Reveal hidden contents

Technical-Power.png

I'm actually surprised, I thought that it would draw way more power than it did :o

Temps (with a 240mm AiO):

Reveal hidden contents

Technical-Temps.png

Their TR power draw seems quite a bit higher than from other sources.

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I'm actually surprised, I thought that it would draw way more power than it did

Well for what is worth this still is Intel, sure the prices are sky high, the platform was rushed and every thing, the TR 1950x still makes plenty more sense for a great number of user cases etc...

But Intel would never get to the point of having the most expensive CPU in the market not being the best available... From what I saw from all the benchmarks I do feel that as we previously talked about the i9 7860x does offer the best performance in the end of the day as it has better balance between single and multi threaded raw numbers while we definitely seen a lot of software side bottlenecking making all 18 cores too much even if you try.

@done12many2 Which of the 2 is going to be?

Personal Desktop":

600+ watts with a good OC. Can even high end Mobos handle that? How much power can 2x8pin EPS cables supply safely? Not to mention VRMs

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Their TR power draw seems quite a bit higher than from other sources.

pcper and other reviewers as well pegged power consumption at stock clocks all about the same.

OC and shit goes right out the window, but so does that return.  xD

View Full Size

43 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well for what is worth this still is Intel, sure the prices are sky high, the platform was rushed and every thing, the TR 1950x still makes plenty more sense for a great number of user cases etc...

But Intel would never get to the point of having the most expensive CPU in the market not being the best available... From what I saw from all the benchmarks I do feel that as we previously talked about the i9 7860x does offer the best performance in the end of the day as it has better balance between single and multi threaded raw numbers while we definitely seen a lot of software side bottlenecking making all 18 cores too much even if you try.

@done12many2 Which of the 2 is going to be?

I'm going with the 7980XE myself.  It has the same single-threaded performance as any of the other 10-16c parts.  The multi-threading is higher than what's seen in most reviews simply because it's running at suck a low stock clock, which you know I don't do and some software can't take advantage of the additional cores yet.

On a separate, but fun note.  Anyone who says that these chips aren't usable under a serious load while overclocked doesn't know what the fuck they are talking about.  They will require big boy cooling solutions when pushed hard, but they can do some amazing things when you prep them right.

@Moress Some friends and I were having fun with my 7920X and LinX MLK with AVX-512 in fore bore.  At 4.2 GHz the 7920X cranked out 984 GFlops.  It did draw a shitload of power (~600w CPU alone / 680w + from the wall) and was definitely warm (88c) on hottest core, but the amount of work it was producing is pretty sick!  Delidded, I imagine that it could have cranked out 4.3 GHz and over 1000 GFlops while remaining in the 70's.   That's probably the heaviest load that any of these chips will see.

4.2 GHz Core - 3 GHz Cache - 3800 MHz mem.JPG

20170924_205628.jpg