New Job

Creekwater X

I put in my 2 weeks at my local retail computer repair shop I've been working at for the past year. I was just hired as a intern IT technician for a hospital with around 8000 users. What should I expect the transition to look like and what advice do you have. I apologize if I didn't give enough information and as always I appreciate any input.

3 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

A myriad of (mostly) nondescriptive issues like, "Thing is broke." and "STUFF NO WORK PLS MAKE WORK." Ocassionally you'll actully get a ticket with a proper enough description for you to take action without spending an hour trying to figure out what the problem is, only to elevate it to someone who can actually fix it. You're basically a buffer between the users and IT, with all of the frustration and fun that comes with that.

So kind of a liaison for everyone else?

Just now, Erik Sieghart said:

Sort of. You're going to be doing a lot of repetitive grunt work as well (and clean computer stuff!) since most users can't be trusted with even this most basic of tasks and everyone above you is too busy working on other stuff to bother with it. Also organization, inventory, basic software installation packages, etc.

That's one thing I like is that my office is ginormous because it's also the inventory room. They said my first task will be to make my own check in/out system that works for me and assist in a deployment of around 400 machines. To what capacity they trust me to do that not 100% though lol.

O boy, welcome to help desk.  Fair warning, you going to come across some of the most stupidest questions and issues.

One useful tip is to build a document for yourself to keep track of problems and the fixes to said problems.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Jus prepare morally, absurd complains, obsolete hardware/software and its always youre fault, dosnt matter the issue -.-!

2 hours ago, Ithanul said:

One useful tip is to build a document for yourself to keep track of problems and the fixes to said problems.

This.  Document everything.  No matter how simple it is, no matter how if you already know how to do it.  At some point you're going to need that documentation, so you don't skip that one step that could wipe/melt down/whatever something.  Studies have shown that writing something down helps you remember it in the future.  

3 hours ago, Ringthane said:

This.  Document everything.  No matter how simple it is, no matter how if you already know how to do it.  At some point you're going to need that documentation, so you don't skip that one step that could wipe/melt down/whatever something.  Studies have shown that writing something down helps you remember it in the future.  

is there any good ticketing software or something anyone recommends at my job I'm leaving documenting was a huge part of how it functions but I also want a good way to CYA.

Expect to know where all the data demarcation rooms are and how some aren't kept clean... Expect spaghetti.

Write down everything the caller explains to you while you're talking to them, even when you use a remote desktop connection.

Some people will try to step over you, including doctors or nurses, depending on how urgent the task is, know how to put them in their place if what they are asking isn't possible or you don't have the right timeframe or solution to their problem.

Be careful with what you access and what you do. Some of the IT people I work with at the hospital I'm at have access to absolutely everything including the databases that manage confidential patient information. If you don't have a reason to do anything, don't do it.

That's all I can think of. I highly doubt the internship will be hard, but you'll enjoy it.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

21 hours ago, Creekwater X said:

I was just hired as a intern IT technician for a hospital with around 8000 users. What should I expect the transition to look like.

What to expect? dunno maybe a golden staph infection, and a lot of assholes...not like the personality ones, the actual ones because ya know hospital gowns.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

11 hours ago, Creekwater X said:

is there any good ticketing software or something anyone recommends at my job I'm leaving documenting was a huge part of how it functions but I also want a good way to CYA.

Myself, I am not sure of any civi side ones.  Where I am at currently we have no access to a ticketing system, so we get by using OneNote to log all our how to, setup guides, and issues and fixes.

Also, if you have access to Visio or software similar to it.  Build a network diagram, it will save a lot of headache (if you are even going to manage any part of that side).

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

16 hours ago, Creekwater X said:

Your new employer will most likely have a ticketing system in place that you will need to learn as most organizations of that size are heavy on the "bureaucracy" side of things where almost nothing is done without the wonderful "did you put in a ticket?" phrase. At least if accountability is a big thing there, which my guess that's the case since it's a hospital.

Since you're interning just be the guy who volunteers for stuff, especially the tedious or shit tasks, and everyone will like you and won't want you to leave.

On 9/23/2017 at 2:04 PM, Mooshi said:

Expect ancient XP and Win 7 PCs.

This.   I have deal with a few Hospitals and the medical devices usually have old versions of all the software, that in many cases can't be updated.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

In IT, workers in the medical industry are the hardest customers to please. Don't try to explain anything to them. They don't care. They just want their shit to work. From their perspective their job of catering to patients is more important than a machine. You only exist because the crappy machine is not up to the job, so as rude as they are to you, you must bite your tongue and be like ned flanders.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

dont steal drugs. you might piss off the nurse that has the right to steal them first

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

19 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

In IT, workers in the medical industry are the hardest customers to please. Don't try to explain anything to them. They don't care. They just want their shit to work. From their perspective their job of catering to patients is more important than a machine. You only exist because the crappy machine is not up to the job, so as rude as they are to you, you must bite your tongue and be like ned flanders.

howdily doodily

Probably not that much different from helping regular computer illiterate people.