The Ad Industry is concerned about Safari's "Intelligent Tracking Prevention" in iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra

captain_to_fire

So this is more like the cries of the lamp oil industry when it died?

Lets play connect the dots!

::::::::::

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

That's rare, Apple actually creating that didn't exist before, and it hurts companies and helps consumers.

Interesting, i hope other companies follow, this is a good thing for consumers!

To be fair, all they're really doing is "clear my cookies every 30 days", just monitored on a site by site basis...

I wouldn't exactly call it groundbreaking.

And as far as blocking third party cookies after a day, that's something Chrome/Firefox/Edge and even IE have had forever. The only new thing here is automatically clearing old cookies after 30 days.

The infrastructure of the modern Internet depends on consistent and generally applicable standards for cookies, so digital companies can innovate to build content, services, and advertising that are personalized for users and remember their visits. Apple's Safari move breaks those standards and replaces them with an amorphous set of shifting rules that will hurt the user experience and sabotage the economic model for the Internet.

Bull. You can do everything you need to just fine without 99% of cookies and there are no functional problems that follow deleting them every time you close the browser, for instance. It's only a little inconvenient since websites won't be able to remember if you logged in recently. 30 days is more than margin enough for the user.

These cheeky fellows are only concerned about their precious targeted advertising. Honestly the sooner targeted, tracking ads die in a fire, the better.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

personally i would prefer a solution like adnauseam to hurt them where it truly matters, but still going to give credit where credit is do: good job Apple!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I always find those targeted ads pointless. They only ever seem to show me the exact product I was just looking at. If I looked at something I already know it exists and if I didn't buy it it's most likely because it wasn't what I wanted/needed. Spamming it on every site I visit for the next few days isn't going to change that. Most likely it will just piss me off and make sure I don't buy that product.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

oh advertisers

tumblr_inline_mvuciwG0UF1rhignx.gif

lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Tracking should be illegal.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

i wouldent mind if chrome did this too, but there is probably something thats not an add or a spy function that wont work on safari now

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On 9/18/2017 at 2:54 PM, hey_yo_ said:

Consumers will definitely not see a problem but advertisers sees it as a hammer to their business model, at least for iOS and Mac users.

Now we need Google and Mozilla to follow suit,

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Now we need Google and Mozilla to follow suit,

Seeing as Google runs one of the two biggest platforms for targeted advertising out there, they're not going to follow suit unless they exclude themselves, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

While I don't mind targeted ads, I do mind being tracked by a website after leaving said website. Kudos to Apple for doing this, though you can block third-party cookies outright on Opera. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

19 hours ago, Bensemus said:

I always find those targeted ads pointless. They only ever seem to show me the exact product I was just looking at. If I looked at something I already know it exists and if I didn't buy it it's most likely because it wasn't what I wanted/needed. Spamming it on every site I visit for the next few days isn't going to change that. Most likely it will just piss me off and make sure I don't buy that product.

Or even the product you just bought...

I love how advertising corporations are trying to sell the impact to their business as something that is anti-consumer and will hurt end users. Most end users will probably be happy about this not hurt by it. Honestly I don't think anyone in history has ever been hurt because they didn't see a product advertisement. 

21 hours ago, Bensemus said:

Its always confused me when even first parties advertise products you already bought. If I was subscribed to the Amazon Newsletter, a week after I buy a TV I know I'd get an Email about what TVs are for sale. Do they expect me to throw a >$500 purchase away in a week and buy a new one?

Actually I recall someone in the US House of Rep, made the exact same point talking about buying underwear, back in early 2017 when the house was voting to wipe away FCC internet privacy rules...

now this is really interesting! Cry me a river Ad vendors lol. Maybe this is gonna crack down annoying ads a little bit and maybe we will be able to prioritize where WE want all that ad money to go (or actually go back to paying for services like netflix instead of paying for it with our privacy and time...)

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

And right after we kill all those ads, we are gonna replace them with our own. 

59c166c32e2a0_ScreenShot2017-09-20at2_47_32AM.thumb.png.8fbe2dd33e85ea128bca2f34f62ff85b.png

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

1 hour ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

And right after we kill all those ads, we are gonna replace them with our own. 

but... you discontinued it last year ಠ_ಠ

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This post is going to shock a few of you...

roundofapplause.jpg

You guys see, I don't HATE Apple, I just hate almost everything they ever do but I also believe in acknowledging when people do the right thing and IMO Apple did good by their customers on this one.

I'm now just waiting for the horrible follow up, something like they replaced it with their own system to ensure Apple users only ever see targeted ads for Apple products. *Only semi serious btw*

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Targeted ads don't work on me because:

• I already bought the item they are advertising
  • I wasn't really considering the item in the first place
  • If I was considering the item, I already scouted the prices from places from whom they're advertising.

Basically, I either didn't care or the advertisers are reacting to outdated information. So to me, they're just wasting my time, my bandwidth, my resources.

But it has to be working to some degree if they keep doing it.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

but... you discontinued it last year ಠ_ಠ

wait...... 

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

41 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You guys see, I don't HATE Apple

I'm now just waiting for the horrible follow up, something like they replaced it with their own system to ensure Apple users only ever see targeted ads for Apple products.

#Android user's logic. 

I don't hate it, I just want to wait for something shitty it's gonna do so that I can trash talk it later.

:puke:

2 minutes ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

#Android user's logic. 

I don't hate it, I just want to wait for something shitty it's gonna do so that I can trash talk it later.

:puke:

You literally said the exact same thing in your post, so are you confused or simply a troll

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 hours ago, Sypran said:

Its always confused me when even first parties advertise products you already bought. If I was subscribed to the Amazon Newsletter, a week after I buy a TV I know I'd get an Email about what TVs are for sale. Do they expect me to throw a >$500 purchase away in a week and buy a new one?

Actually I recall someone in the US House of Rep, made the exact same point talking about buying underwear, back in early 2017 when the house was voting to wipe away FCC internet privacy rules...

this is so true, they always advertise other items similar to the thing you bought, like "you remember that toaster you bought last week?  Perhaps you'll be interested in these other 14 toasters?  Gotta catch 'em all!".  If they were smart they'd advertise related items but not the same thing, like in my example, it would then advertise bread, cutting boards, etc. and in your TV example it could advertise TV stands, Chromecasts, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.