Huawei unveils faster phone chip it says can beat Apple, Samsung

Kilage

Huawei [HWT.UL] aims to use artificial intelligence-powered features such as instant image recognition to take on rivals Samsung and Apple when it launches its new flagship phone next month

Huawei seems to really want to get to the top with this move. If the articles sources can be trusted, this will (hopefully) make the big boys sweat a little bit.

The company asserts its newly announced Kirin 970 chip will preserve battery life on phones by up to 50 percent.

Up to 50% but I wonder what the average preservation rate will be. Also, Does this mean they will try to get away with extremely small batteries to create smaller, lighter phones? Or will they be making a nice big phone with a long battery life? 

Huawei describes the new chip as the first Neural Processing Unit (NPU) for smartphones. It brings together classic computing, graphics, image and digital signal processing power that have typically required separate chips, taking up more space and slowing interaction between features within phones.

Makes me wonder how this will effect the thermals of the phone with all the processing power in one area. Maybe Linus can build a DIY heat sink for them?

Full article: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-huawei-tech-smartphone/huawei-unveils-faster-phone-chip-it-says-can-beat-apple-samsung-idUSKCN1BD0SI?il=0

New to forum, pls no h8 m8

Edited by iamdarkyoshi
Fixed quotes for night theme users

4 minutes ago, Dale B said:

New to forum, pls no h8 m8

*joined April 2014*

lol jk though not many posts

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, Shiv78 said:

*joined April 2014*

lol jk though not many posts

Haha, I probably should have said "subforum" :D

No words on the graphics Huawei? You usually screw that up.....

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

They're using the G72 from ARM. On the 960 they used the G71 and I think there were some power consumption issues with it. This is on 10nm though so maybe it won't be that bad.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

You missed some of the most interesting things about the chip; the dual ISPs that should greatly improve image processing (they've shown comparisons between the S8), and the 4.5G CAT.18 modem. There's also the fact that the NPU can process 2005 images per minute whereas the CPU alone could only do 97. It's about 3x as powerful as the GPU in TFlops. 

As for your info, the CPU as a whole isn't that efficient, they were referring to the NPU. 

It'll be interesting to see how it performs. Huawei could hit it out of the park with the Mate 10 this year. 

15 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

The Kirin CPUs usually aren't that bad. Better than the Exynos in a lot of ways. 

13 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

They're using the G72 from ARM. On the 960 they used the G71 and I think there were some power consumption issues with it. This is on 10nm though so maybe it won't be that bad.

Was it really that bad? Phones with the 960 generally got excellent battery life. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

You missed some of the most interesting things about the chip; the dual ISPs that should greatly improve image processing (they've shown comparisons between the S8), and the 4.5G CAT.18 modem. There's also the fact that the NPU can process 2005 images per minute whereas the CPU alone could only do 97. It's about 3x as powerful as the GPU in TFlops. 

As for your info, the CPU as a whole isn't that efficient, they were referring to the NPU. 

It'll be interesting to see how it performs. Huawei could hit it out of the park with the Mate 10 this year. 

The Kirin CPUs usually aren't that bad. Better than the Exynos in a lot of ways. 

Was it really that bad? Phones with the 960 generally got excellent battery life. 

I recall that the GSM arena reviews used to complain about the GPU.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

12 minutes ago, dizmo said:

That's because normal day to day tasks don't stress the gpu much.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11088/hisilicon-kirin-960-performance-and-power/5

8.6 watts of power, that's worse than the 810.

If you look at fps/watt the g71 is below even the 810. The adreno 530 in the 820/821 is around double the fps/watt. The 835 isn't even in these tests, we can imagine it would be even better.

To be fair though, this may be because huawei clocked the g71 really high (over 1 ghz)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

This doesn't seem to be about the chip being faster or more powerful than the competition in general, just in specific tasks which make use of new technology.

Lower power consumption is cool, I hope they don't take that as an excuse to make the phone thinner and cut away even more battery.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Dale B said:

Makes me wonder how this will effect the thermals of the phone with all the processing power in one area. Maybe Linus can build a DIY heat sink for them?

He watercooled a bunch of phones. Back when the Snapdragon 810 is a small flat iron that Samsung ditched it in favor of their Exynos 7420 and the LG G4 used Snapdragon 808 which is better in thermals. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Yeah, I don't see how this chip is even going to beat a Snapdragon 835, much less Apple's chips. Apple's hurricane and zephyr cores beat any other ARMv8 cores hands down by quite the large margin. And unless their GPU is worse than PowerVR's (which is a very real possibility to be fair), the 7xT they used in their A10 SoC was already incredibly powerful.

Other than for processing neural nets on device -something that other chip makers are focused on  a now too-, I don't see what's so special about this SoC...

1 hour ago, Dale B said:

Huawei describes the new chip as the first Neural Processing Unit (NPU) for smartphones. It brings together classic computing, graphics, image and digital signal processing power that have typically required separate chips, taking up more space and slowing interaction between features within phones.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those already in a single chip that's why it's called System-on-Chip (SoC) where the CPU, GPU, ISP, motion-coprocessor, security/encryption coprocessor are in a single die? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

The GPU in the 960 had a maximum clock speed in excess of 1 GHz. It was able to match or beat the Adreno 530 in benchmarks, through at a heavy cost to power consumption and heat. I'd imagine that it won't see top speed in anything but benchmarks.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

I recall that the GSM arena reviews used to complain about the GPU.

Their reviews generally complain about anything that isn't on par with the absolute top tier.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

That's because normal day to day tasks don't stress the gpu much.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11088/hisilicon-kirin-960-performance-and-power/5

8.6 watts of power, that's worse than the 810.

If you look at fps/watt the g71 is below even the 810. The adreno 530 in the 820/821 is around double the fps/watt. The 835 isn't even in these tests, we can imagine it would be even better.

To be fair though, this may be because huawei clocked the g71 really high (over 1 ghz)

Ah, well hopefully they're remedied that with this one...though to be perfectly honest I don't really do graphically intense things on my phone so I couldn't care less about the GPU.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

This doesn't seem to be about the chip being faster or more powerful than the competition in general, just in specific tasks which make use of new technology.

Lower power consumption is cool, I hope they don't take that as an excuse to make the phone thinner and cut away even more battery.

Huawei's always been pretty good with their batteries. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an increase in capacity with the Mate 10, or at the very least on par with the 4000mah of the previous generation.

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Yeah, I don't see how this chip is even going to beat a Snapdragon 835, much less Apple's chips. Apple's hurricane and zephyr cores beat any other ARMv8 cores hands down by quite the large margin. And unless their GPU is worse than PowerVR's (which is a very real possibility to be fair), the 7xT they used in their A10 SoC was already incredibly powerful.

Other than for processing neural nets on device -something that other chip makers are focused on  a now too-, I don't see what's so special about this SoC...

In benchmarks, no, but in day to day use the Kirin chip is actually pretty solid.

One could easily say the same thing about the SD835, or any other incremental improvement for a chip.

I'm very interested to see what the NPU does in day to day use.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't those already in a single chip that's why it's called System-on-Chip (SoC) where the CPU, GPU, ISP, motion-coprocessor, security/encryption coprocessor are in a single die? 

The things you listed, yes, but the NPU, probably not.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, Dale B said:

Up to 50% but I wonder what the average preservation rate will be. Also, Does this mean they will try to get away with extremely small batteries to create smaller, lighter phones? Or will they be making a nice big phone with a long battery life? 

This is how OEMs respond to every new generation of Snapdragon processor... Qualcomm advertises it as being more battery efficient than the previous generation and smartphone manufacturers basically go "lol well then here's a smaller battery so you don't actually get any real benefit from that new battery efficiency". I doubt Huawei won't go that direction themselves.

Smartphones are thin enough, there's no reason to make them thinner other than a lack of real innovation in the smartphone industry. But that's what the vast majority of consumers really care about so...

Yay new phone that's slightly faster than the competition... *yawn*

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, OmJo93 said:

This is how OEMs respond to every new generation of Snapdragon processor... Qualcomm advertises it as being more battery efficient than the previous generation and smartphone manufacturers basically go "lol well then here's a smaller battery so you don't actually get any real benefit from that new battery efficiency". I doubt Huawei won't go that direction themselves.

Smartphones are thin enough, there's no reason to make them thinner other than a lack of real innovation in the smartphone industry. But that's what the vast majority of consumers really care about so...

*as I sit here, reading this on a phone with both an SD821 and a >4k mAh battery*

My eyes see the past…

Here's the list of things you can actually do with the speed:

1) Increase the resolution past the point where most humans can, at glance, tell the difference in DPI

2) ...

3) ...

4) ...

I'm being told that we'll have to come back to this list.

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Here's the list of things you can actually do with the speed:

1) Increase the resolution past the point where most humans can, at glance, tell the difference in DPI

2) ...

3) ...

4) ...

I'm being told that we'll have to come back to this list.

Even at 4K, rendering the UI doesn't tend to require a lot of GPU power.

Though I could see where a GPU like the one in the Kirin 960 could be a good choice. A small, very high clocked GPU to render the high resolution display when interacted with. Sustained performance suffers, which given the games market, may be only a minor point. The gains in die space can be put to use elsewhere as well.

I would like to see 120hz smartphone displays become a thing, especially before 4K. With self panel refresh, the additional power consumption should be moot, unless someone is literally just swiping back and forth for hours on end with no pause.

My eyes see the past…

If they are even able to reach 70% of the A11 single core performance it would be impressive, but if not i dont see how its going to make them shed some tears :P.

The features sound cool, but Huawei usually doesnt sell the best phones internationally anyways (remember the last flagship?).

Mate 9 for Global, Mate 9 Pro for China. Wanted a Pro model as an international phone? Pay 1400€ for some Porsche design flare.

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

*as I sit here, reading this on a phone with both an SD821 and a >4k mAh battery*

Which phone is that? I think my point still stands when 99% (yes I made this number up, but you know what I mean) of flagships released this year and last had batteries under 3500 mAh. Many even shrunk the batteries in their 2017 flagships (OnePlus, Motorola, Samsung (for obvious reasons wrt the Note 8), Sony just off the top of my head)

47 minutes ago, OmJo93 said:

Which phone is that? I think my point still stands when 99% (yes I made this number up, but you know what I mean) of flagships released this year and last had batteries under 3500 mAh. Many even shrunk the batteries in their 2017 flagships (OnePlus, Motorola, Samsung (for obvious reasons wrt the Note 8), Sony just off the top of my head)

My LeEco Le Pro 3. Bought it for $250.

I wouldn't recommend it for most people as rooting or flashing a ROM are practically required for a good software experience (running LineageOS on mine). XDA seems to love these things though.

My eyes see the past…