Skype dropping support for App Versions 7.17 to 7.30 on Windows Desktop

AlTech
1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I just wish they didn't royally duck up the Android version. It looks like a social media app now

yap

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

17 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

1) Conversations on a server are visible to all members of that server, even if they're inaccessible, rather than being their own distinct conversation.

2) No ability to "Invite" people to a custom chat channel easily without mucking with permissions.
3) The general bugginess of the voice chat. Doesn't work on some computers, may fail randomly or in strange ways (I never personally saw any issues with Skype 6.18)

4) Inability in vanilla Discord to alter PTT sounds.

5) Inability to disable emojis from paying Discord users (see below).

6) The ability report people on your private server to Discord for behavior in server channels, outside of the server owner's controls. No one is forcing you to hang out in a channel, so this is ridiculous, especially as different groups may have different perceptions of what "harassment" in a channel is.
7) No ability to quote messsages.

And I have further issues with the company itself:
1) Prides itself more on being PC than delivering features that people actually want. Search took forever, wasn't actually implemented to start, but moderation of everyone's private channels was implemented rather quickly. Voice chat still has several bugs for some people, but they're pouring all of their focus into video chat. The company's priorities are pretty terrible.
2) The lack of priority on a stable business model. This is the main reason Discord is preventing it's total adoption from Skype for my Skype groups. Discord could go up in smoke tomorrow when their VC funding runs out. RIP chats. With Skype 1) messages are stored locally and 2) you can be fairly certain that the service just isn't going to disappear because some exec decided to take some luxury retreat team building exercises with all the funding.

10 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

Except it doesn't solve the 7 things that Skype can do that Discord can't that I listed, and the 2 things that Discord as a company does that make it worse than Microsoft.

1. Are private messages not a thing? It's the same as being in a group chat with skype, we can all see it if we're in it. Also you can have roles that only people with that role can see or use those video/text chats.

2. Isn't hard to automate. I don't see skype having multiple text channels for one group. Even then, what's so hard about permissions? Click name, add? Wow...

3. What bugginess? The only platform I've seen Discord have any issues with is Windows mobile.. and that is a select few people. I've been in calls with 40 people, 8 people ect. Never once have had an issue with any PC I've been on. I've seen no issue with voice coms from dozens of personal friends.

4. Why is that an issue? Seems like a want rather than a need

5. Again, a minor issue though can see appeal. But you can go suggest stuff to Discord. Discord Nitro isn't that popular.

6. Report them and kick them from your server? What issue is this?

7. Not official but ``` *message* ``` is the unofficial quoting system of Discord but this will very likely be a feature in the future.

A lot of these are things that skype doesn't have to deal with, due to lack of it existing or stuff that was added over years of development.

None of this goes against the fact that skype is a buggy, slow, shit quality voice coms and poor management for groups with more than 40 people. Is their business model not to get a best all in one solution? RIght now, every group I used that used skype, no fucking joke used skype for IMs and TS for voice. Why, it's stupid. You can't compare a team of devs from MS to a team of devs that just decided to start of this one day. They are adding stuff, slowly but surely. Can't expect them to pull everything out of their ass.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

26 minutes ago, Erik Sieghart said:

My problem with Discord is it doesn't replicate Skype's functionality:
1) Conversations on a server are visible to all members of that server, even if they're inaccessible, rather than being their own distinct conversation.
2) No ability to "Invite" people to a custom chat channel easily without mucking with permissions.
3) The general bugginess of the voice chat. Doesn't work on some computers, may fail randomly or in strange ways (I never personally saw any issues with Skype 6.18)

4) Inability in vanilla Discord to alter PTT sounds.

5) Inability to disable emojis from paying Discord users (see below).

6) The ability report people on your private server to Discord for behavior in server channels, outside of the server owner's controls. No one is forcing you to hang out in a channel, so this is ridiculous, especially as different groups may have different perceptions of what "harassment" in a channel is.
7) No ability to quote messsages.

1) Called direct messages, people should learn to use them.

2) Yes you can or you could just drag them to your channel if you like.

3) Well this is annoying but tell me a program that's bug free.

4) 1st world problem

5) Yeah you can.

6) I can see how this is somewhat annoying, but there are mute and block functions

7) Another 1st world problem

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

8 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

1. Are private messages not a thing? It's the same as being in a group chat with skype, we can all see it if we're in it. Also you can have roles that only people with that role can see or use those video/text chats.

2. Isn't hard to automate. I don't see skype having multiple text channels for one group. Even then, what's so hard about permissions? Click name, add? Wow...

3. What bugginess? The only platform I've seen Discord have any issues with is Windows mobile.. and that is a select few people. I've been in calls with 40 people, 8 people ect. Never once have had an issue with any PC I've been on. I've seen no issue with voice coms from dozens of personal friends.

4. Why is that an issue? Seems like a want rather than a need

5. Again, a minor issue though can see appeal. But you can go suggest stuff to Discord. Discord Nitro isn't that popular.

6. Report them and kick them from your server? What issue is this?

7. Not official but ``` *message* ``` is the unofficial quoting system of Discord but this will very likely be a feature in the future.

A lot of these are things that skype doesn't have to deal with, due to lack of it existing or stuff that was added over years of development.

None of this goes against the fact that skype is a buggy, slow, shit quality voice coms and poor management for groups with more than 40 people. Is their business model not to get a best all in one solution? RIght now, every group I used that used skype, no fucking joke used skype for IMs and TS for voice. Why, it's stupid. You can't compare a team of devs from MS to a team of devs that just decided to start of this one day. They are adding stuff, slowly but surely. Can't expect them to pull everything out of their ass.

Actually discord is pretty buggy on windows too... Some days I have to readjust everyone's volume so I don't go deaf or rupture my speakers, some days I have to constantly keep restarting it because my audio is jacked up and I sound like a chipmunk and then others you just can't hear certain users no matter what you do.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

Actually discord is pretty buggy on windows too... Some days I have to readjust everyone's volume so I don't go deaf or rupture my speakers, some days I have to constantly keep restarting it because my audio is jacked up and I sound like a chipmunk and then others you just can't hear certain users no matter what you do.

These are issues I've never had or just have had similar issues with skype. Usually very simple fixes.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

These are issues I've never had or just have had similar issues with skype. Usually very simple fixes.

Thing is we don't even know what's causing those particular issues I mentioned. We've all recently clean installed windows and it's still there, one guy built a new pc and he still has those specific issues. They don't happen too frequent so it's not really messing with our experience with discord (we sure as hell not going back to using skype and be at the mercy of who ever is hosting the call bandwidth)

1 minute ago, Erik Sieghart said:

1) Not with multiple people you can't.
2) Nah. I have a complicated setup because of this.
3) Skype 6.18 didn't have the issues I've had to deal with. Sound cutting out for no reason, node.js instances being left around after quitting normally. The buggy experience makes it unable to be used as voice chat with some people in our gaming group, so it's not used when they're around. This is a seriously critical issue for me.
4) It's annoying and jarring sound. Did you seriously just call it a 1st world issue...
5) You can't, I've tested and tried this. You can prevent non-paying discord users, but Nitro users override this setting.
6) If it's my server, discord really shouldn't be policing it how they see fit unless they're obligated to do so by law.
7) Are you... Serious?

1) yes you can... I have DM's that contain 4 people or more.

2) well that's on you for making it complicated

3) then you guys need to find a program that works for all of you obviously

4) you know you can disable those sounds much like you can disable almost all sounds and notifications for discord

5) you can cause at one point we out right disabled those because my cousin wouldn't stop trolling with those

6) Technically it's discord's server since you aren't paying to use it so they can police and do what ever they want with it. It's not the case with teamspeak where you could host your own server in your basement and let people use it.

7) serious as a heart attack

Just because something affects you doesn't make it a huge problem for the 99.9999999999999999999% of the rest of the user base. Hence the term "first world problems."

Just. Give. Us. Back. MSN. Messenger. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Because everyone wants everything to be snapchat :eyeroll:

If only my workplace would just move to slack, I would finally be able to remove that POS from my phone

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Ever since Microsoft bought Skype it went downhill pretty fast, shame... I loved it back in the days 

If only skype 6.21 and below still worked. It's been nothing but mostly downhill for a long time. Once discord phases in screenshare and video chat I think it will become a permanent replacement over skype. Just need some proper history saving/reading like skype does.

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

They haven't contaminated the Windows Store app yet :D....

UWP Skype ftw

It's on its way though, if you are on a Windows Insider build you can get it now. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

1 hour ago, aerandir92 said:

It's on its way though, if you are on a Windows Insider build you can get it now. 

lol. Has the UI changed at all apart from the visual design?

The current UI is dreadful (but not because of the aesthetics). It is functionally bad but not visually bad if you catch my drift.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

lol. Has the UI changed at all apart from the visual design?

The current UI is dreadful (but not because of the aesthetics). It is functionally bad but not visually bad if you catch my drift.

See for yourself
https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/08/17/hello-desktops-meet-skype-preview/

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

While Discord is my main go to I have latest ver. of classic desktop Skype though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Last good version of Skype was 4.2. Everything after that was a mistake. Too bad Microsoft decided to kill it because it wanted to implement its NSA super-nodes.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

My entire life is references to TV shows and Memes.

Dell OptiPlex GX1, Intel Pentium 3 @ 450MHz, 128MB PC133 RAM, Windows 98 Second Edition, Office 97' Professional

When you use Discord instead:

kPSiK0s.gif

10 hours ago, aerandir92 said:

I thought you meant the Skype UWP for Insiders. Didn't realize there was a non UWP Insiders thing going on for Skype.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 9/2/2017 at 3:18 AM, AluminiumTech said:

I thought you meant the Skype UWP for Insiders. Didn't realize there was a non UWP Insiders thing going on for Skype.

Isn't this the UWP one? I thought it was, just only for insiders :P

8 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

Isn't this the UWP one?

No. This is Skype Desktop.

8 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

I thought it was, just only for insiders :P

Skype Classic has an Insider build. I don't about the UWP version.