Steam reviewers are review bombing Dota for "killing Half Life 3"

AlTech
35 minutes ago, Agost said:

I mean, Valve makes tons of money with Steam, they could hire back lots of people (and new developers too) and make new MAGNIFICENT games like HL and Portal just to improve the company image. Moreover, lots of steam users would buy those new games since they can push a lot of advertising on their own platform.

Imagine only 10% of steam users buying HL3 for an average of $20. It's 120 million dollars, three times the budget of HL2

Now imagine Valve making $1m per year on an item that took them maybe 2 months to develop and they can churn out 40 to 50 of these items per year, each making them $1m.

$120m profit for 8 years work or $40m to $50m per year. Where would you put your efforts?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I covered that: appeasing fans is not really enough to justify an AAA game with an AAA budget. Fans will eventually just shut up believe it or not.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Now imagine Valve making $1m per year on an item that took them maybe 2 months to develop and they can churn out 40 to 50 of these items per year, each making them $1m.

$120m profit for 8 years work or $40m to $50m per year. Where would you put your efforts?

Ok guys I just want HL3/ep3  (ノಠ ∩ಠ)ノ彡( 

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

To add on this, look at Riot Games, they made over $1 Billion last year off a Free to play game that gets updates every month. and most of the updates are tweaks and new "assests" (skins, champs, ect)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

41 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I wouldn't call Bioshock, Singularity, F.E.A.R, Crysis, Far Cry etc. boring. 

would only agree on Bioshock, the first, cause it gave me jump scares, the rest: meh

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

would only agree on Bioshock, the first, cause it gave me jump scares, the rest: meh

Jump scares? That game was not about jump scares at all. :P When you play all of them in order with DLC, and play burial at sea 2 last, then the game goes to a new level of mindfuck.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, Agost said:

Ok guys I just want HL3/ep3  (ノಠ ∩ಠ)ノ彡( 

Play the new Prey instead:

Image result for its something

-------

Current Rig

-------

43 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Jump scares? That game was not about jump scares at all. :P When you play all of them in order with DLC, and play burial at sea 2 last, then the game goes to a new level of mindfuck.

shit poping out of nowhere did have the desired effect on me though

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Play the new Prey instead

E X A M S 

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

shit poping out of nowhere did have the desired effect on me though

Play Dead Space

53 minutes ago, Agost said:

E X A M S 

Play Dead Space

tried 3, instant turn off

26 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

tried 3, instant turn off

Only the first one, 2 is okay, 3 is regarded as the worst of the trilogy (never played)

HL3 will be VR im guessing, they released HL2 when they had made a new fancy physics engine they wanted to show and HL1 was inovative with the 3D graphics or something, so HL is a bit like a tech demonstration from valves side so VR would make a lot of sense

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

HL3 will be VR im guessing, they released HL2 when they had made a new fancy physics engine they wanted to show and HL1 was inovative with the 3D graphics or something, so HL is a bit like a tech demonstration from valves side so VR would make a lot of sense

https://www.pcgamesn.com/half-life-3/half-life-3-wont-be-a-vr-game-according-to-valve

Old news, but it's an official statement

Just now, Agost said:

well then if they ever make it im guessing it will incorperate their new fancy thing they want to show whatever that will be then. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I wouldn't call F.E.A.R, Far Cry etc. boring. 

I wouldn't either... I'd call them poor excuses for stories... And horror for the former. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

27 minutes ago, Agost said:

Only the first one, 2 is okay, 3 is regarded as the worst of the trilogy (never played)

Nearly any horror game with co-op is rendered non-horror due to the fact that speaking with another person can take you out of the experience; see Dead Space 3 and Resident Evil 7 (though some parts were creepy in their own right). 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Valve makes more of a return on investment from DotA 2 and CS:GO combined then they will ever make from sales on Half-Life 3. Basic economics say, no HL3.

The funny thing is most of the bad reviews are complaining about the game itself, not just "no half life 3 stupid volvo" messages. And with good reason; dota 2 is a relatively shitty game, which valve seems to favor over all else. They had a good thing going with team fortress and counter-strike, but their neglect for those games (mainly team fortress, counter strike is at least getting a bit of attention) is leading to a decrease in players.

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Nearly any horror game with co-op is rendered non-horror due to the fact that speaking with another person can take you out of the experience; see Dead Space 3 and Resident Evil 7 (though some parts were creepy in their own right). 

Dead Space 3, AFAIK, is bad because it's just not a Dead Space, it's more like a generic third person shooter.

I don't like horror stuff in general, but Dead Space is a really good game. Sadly on PC it's plagued by console porting issue, like tremendous mouse acceleration 

22 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I wouldn't either... I'd call them poor excuses for stories... And horror for the former. 

Well F.E.A.R imo had a good story which they f***** in 2 and especially 3. 1 was awesome as a game at the time. Far Cry 3 did have better character development than the story I'll give you that, but FC4 did have a proper story with no happy endings which I liked.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

10 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

It's actually a very small group but very loud. The majority of pc gamers care about 1) Dota, 2) LOL, 3) PUBG, 4) WOW, 5) Overwatch and 6) card games.

I must not be part of the majority, then (but then, I already knew that).

1) Don't care, never played

2) Don't care, never played

3) Mildly interested, never played

4) Don't care, never played

5) Don't care, never played

6) Really, really, really don't care.  If I never see another card game shoved in my face by Steam, it'll still be too soon.

8 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I wouldn't call Bioshock, Singularity, F.E.A.R, Crysis, Far Cry etc. boring. 

I'd call Far Cry 2 boring.  I miss the original Far Cry, before Ubi fouled it all up.  I should reinstall it and play it again.  I even still have the 64-bit patch for it (it was one of the first games - if not the first - to provide an AMD64 compatible executable that ran native 64-bit).

2 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I'd call Far Cry 2 boring.  I miss the original Far Cry, before Ubi fouled it all up.  I should reinstall it and play it again.  I even still have the 64-bit patch for it (it was one of the first games - if not the first - to provide an AMD64 compatible executable that ran native 64-bit).

I find them all boring, except Primal and 1. The other titles feel like fetch quests where "freedom" is mostly "restriction" from anything eventful. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

That's really stupid and a bad idea in my opinion.  Things like this diminish what little power mass outcry already had... don't "cry wolf"; you'll throw away what's left -_-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I would like to add that I wouldn't be surprised to see a Half Life VR game at some point in the future, not because Valve would want to make it but because Valve want the Vive to sell and HLVR would be a unit shifter like nothing else could ever hope to be and even then I wouldn't expect a full fat half life experience, just the bare minimum required to call it a game.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)