Steam reviewers are review bombing Dota for "killing Half Life 3"

AlTech

Contains spoilers for other games

Spoiler

Continuing with the cliff hanger in hl2, chell came out of no where, where she was chased by the head crab. The head crab leap and landed on gordon's face, where he went "blagggrrrrhhhh!!!" He manages to pull it off his face and at the same time, stumbled and fell into the portal, created by chell. Now gordon is floating in space along with the head crab, wheatly and space core.

The End

Click here to reveal the games titles that's being spoiled

Spoiler

Half Life 2

Portal 2

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

22 minutes ago, Terryv said:

No one is forcing you to play them and their existence in no way interferes with your life.

still glad to see them disappear, i didn't have to do nothing for it to happen. Don't have to throw your frustration at me, it's not like i'm some sort of god that made it happen

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

So because you don't like it no one should be able to enjoy them?

not saying that no one should, still glad to see them go

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Game got cancelled most likely because Valve could top off the excellent HL2, and the hype and expectation of the HL3 is so high, that even if the game was really awesome, it will be a total disappointment, and flop.

I agree with this 100%, Valve is never going to release HL3 if they know what's good for them. They'd never live up to the hype (even if it was exactly as good as HL2 it would be unimpressive by today's standards) and they'd just sink their reputation when the fans will be inevitably let down. On the other hand, keeping the hype alive with small hints every now and then keeps the interest high on everything Valve does.

Half Life 3 has achieved meme status at this point and honestly I'm sick enough of hearing about it that I wish the hype would just die... if it ever enters development, then people can start being hyped again (despite the almost certainty of disappointment).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I agree with this 100%, Valve is never going to release HL3 if they know what's good for them. They'd never live up to the hype (even if it was exactly as good as HL2 it would be unimpressive by today's standards) and they'd just sink their reputation when the fans will be inevitably let down. On the other hand, keeping the hype alive with small hints every now and then keeps the interest high on everything Valve does.

Half Life 3 has achieved meme status at this point and honestly I'm sick enough of hearing about it that I wish the hype would just die... if it ever enters development, then people can start being hyped again (despite the almost certainty of disappointment).

You realise Valve spent 4 years creating Source 2 just so they could port DOTA & CS:GO over to it. That tells you everything you need to know about the chances of HL3 ever coming out.

Speaking of which, didn't they say CS:GO 2 on Source 2 would be out Summer 2017?, I haven't even heard anything about it since then.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

31 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

because they have one of the most boring gameplay i've ever played.

Come on man, they are hardly all equally boring :P not every story driven shooter is a call of duty...

Have you played Wolfenstein TNO? That game manages to have a pretty good story and excellent shooting at the same time.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I don't believe the staff at valve didn't want to make HL3 for a second, I mean its obvious that some of them cared about it, Laidlaw cared enough to try and give fans closure after 11 years and he no longer works for Valve. The decision to cease creation of SP games was a management decision based on nothing but pure greed.

I believe it's less sinister and more a question of them just slipping...

You can ask the question do they care? Probably yes employees at Valve do care probably including Gabe himself.

But making AAA games is a massive amount of work. Loads of man-hours and planning and blood, sweat and tears for years on end. Not to mention the amount of project management and coordination required to get hundreds of people to work together on different aspects of one product. Other devs do it because they have to, either they release games or they die. Valve on the other hand does not need the money.

And so they have slipped from being a beloved game developer to a company who has not released a full fledged AAA single player game in six years, and not even announced their next.... To me it looks like just don't have the discipline.

they do realise there are valve employees which choose which project they wish to work on? they may be working on something alike hl3.

Hue hue hue.

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You realise Valve spent 4 years creating Source 2 just so they could port DOTA & CS:GO over to it. That tells you everything you need to know about the chances of HL3 ever coming out.

They didn't create source2 just for that....

But the fact that years after announcing it and two years after rolling it out to dota2 they still cannot get organized enough to release Source 2 to the dev community with full SDK and documentation etc says a lot about how much they struggle get things done.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Speaking of which, didn't they say CS:GO 2 on Source 2 would be out Summer 2017?, I haven't even heard anything about it since then.

Even if CS did make it onto Source 2, I doubt it'd be any good for the game. Knowing Valve, it'd make things worse, i.e. Dota 2 Reborn or every Team Fortress 2 update since Gun Mettle.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

33 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I don't believe the staff at valve didn't want to make HL3 for a second, I mean its obvious that some of them cared about it, Laidlaw cared enough to try and give fans closure after 11 years and he no longer works for Valve. The decision to cease creation of SP games was a management decision based on nothing but pure greed.

To be fair, "some" employees are not enough to make the game. If everyone cared enough, the game would have come out a long time ago. While they may have cared at some point, their interest clearly drifted elsewhere. Think of the Portal series, which started as a hobby project by some of the employees who clearly didn't care enough about their work to dedicate all their time to it.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I wonder the why is it so difficult for the HL fanboys to understand that no one is working on HL3 or Episode 3 or whatever it would've been called.

Valve doesn't give a fuck about Half-Life or its fans. They are making millions and millions and millions and millions and millions and millions and millions from Steam, so many millions that they don't care about some idiots (myself included :) )  wanting Half-Life 3.

They don't want to make any games anymore, whatever card game gets released is just a project from some intern that Valve greenlighted the project because it has micro-transactions and that will make them even more money because PC gamers don't have a lot of good games. Bring the hate on.

But a full on game like HL or HL itself is never going to be worked on until Steam stops making them money. Mark my words the second Steam stops making Valve money, is the second that fat guy will announce Half Life 3 exclusive to the Steam platform.

Edited by NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle
Grammar

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Come on man, they are hardly all equally boring :P not every story driven shooter is a call of duty...

Have you played Wolfenstein TNO? That game manages to have a pretty good story and excellent shooting at the same time.

difference being i can play, enjoy Wolfenstein, Doom, and the likes without the story cause gore and metal (in their case), can't say the same for heavily narrative focused FPSs that mostly feel like walking simulators with guns and enough cutscenes to make a 2 hour movie out of them. 

2 minutes ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

I wonder about the why is it so difficult for the HL fanboys to understand that no one is working on HL3 or Episode 3 or whatever it would've been called.

Valve doesn't give a fuck about Half-Life or its fans. They are making millions and millions and millions and millions and millions and millions and millions from Steam, so many millions that they don't care about some idiots (myself included :) )  wanting Half-Life 3.

They don't want to make any games anymore, whatever card game gets released is just a project from some intern that Valve greenlighted the project because it has micro-transactions and that will make them even more money because PC gamers don't have a lot of good games. Bring the hate on.

But a full on game like HL or HL itself is never going to be worked on until Steam stops making them money. Mark my words the second Steam stops making Valve money, is the second that fat guy will announce Half Life 3 exclusive to the Steam platform.

Valve barely works on TF, CS and Dota. I really don't understand why they think they're working on HL.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I get people want a game, but.... o wait it IS the internet. so this no human interaction lets kids talk shit and have zero expectation to back it up. And as if ANY of this helps regardless. It would make me want to release a video deleting the code in front of these sorry kids.... then just release the actual game because fuck their expectations.

Say half that shit to another human in person... good luck mustering up the courage you lost a long ass time ago.

(to the people shit posting people and other peoples work over a game)

40 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

You're kidding, right?

It took Valve getting sued by the EU & Australia before they responded to the whole steam refund debate.

On Christmas Day 2015 Valve literally gave away thousands of users details because someone uploaded an incorrectly coded webpage and it took them 48 hours to even acknowledge the mistake and it wasn't until 5 days after the event (when Totalbiscuit and Jim Sterling starting crying about it) that Valve issued any form of apology and reason.

It took Digital Homicide to try and sue Valve and 100 Steam Users before Valve responded to that whole clusterfuck, remember they had already filed a spurious lawsuit against Jim Sterling, banned hundreds of people from their community section on Steam, physically threatened Steam Users, were abusing the greenlight system by selling an asset flip, were abusing the greenlight system by giving away keys for votes, were abusing the greenlight system by using card sales on games they'd given away for free to boost their income. All that and Valve did nothing until the Romaines tried to subpoena Valve for users details and drag their name into the lawsuit.

If you really think a review bomb will get a response from Valve then your as delusional as the people who think the review bomb will get them HL3.

I've already said everything I need to in the meme above, Gabe does not give a fuck because Steam will ALWAYS make him money. ALWAYS. Look at it this way, if everyone stopped playing Valves games tomorrow Valve would still be making billions a year just from Steam.

Steam might not be permanently immutable as you describe i.e. in a few years Sony and Microsoft deciding "Fuck it just digitally distribute all games to PC users" could potentially put more than a bit of a dent on Steam.

However other than reasonably distant future with substantially big companies competing directly with them you're pretty much right: I don't think is physically possible for Valve to give less of a fuck about DOTA 2 ratings.

-------

Current Rig

-------

23 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Well I'm sorry to break it to you buddy but, as you said, its been 6 years since Valve released anything narrative driven, all the writers from HL and Portal have moved on to other studios and yes, Gabe has straight up said that no one is working on HL3.

We all hear these stories about how it is to work at Valve but just remember that it is a business and it has some kind of hierarchy in place. Gabe is the boss and if he doesn't want his staff working on SP content anymore then his staff won't be working on SP content anymore.

Ever heard of Valve Time? I'll make no grand claims about what they are doing, but please do understand that it's equally absurd to make grand claims about what they won't do. They've taken this long between releases before, and I absolutely believe that their success in MP games and game distribution is taking at least some focus away from SP games, so I can understand a long wait.

As for their structure, of course there needs to be management -But from what we know, and from what we've seen, the employees are relatively free choose their work. When I hear "no-one is working on it" from Valve, I take it literally -Nobody is working on it. It's not dead, nor is it under way, it's just something they haven't gotten around to yet if they ever do.

So while it's pointless to wait on the edge of your seat for HL3, it's also a bit overzealous to say they've abandoned SP games.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Indeed: We're talking about the game that successfully sold the idea of DRM to hardcore PC gamers. There was massive push back when Steam was released but Valve was stubborn enough to know they were sitting on a winner and basically popularized Digital Distribution and acceptable DRM for the PC Market.

That's the true power of Half Life.

I mean, Valve makes tons of money with Steam, they could hire back lots of people (and new developers too) and make new MAGNIFICENT games like HL and Portal just to improve the company image. Moreover, lots of steam users would buy those new games since they can push a lot of advertising on their own platform.

Imagine only 10% of steam users buying HL3 for an average of $20. It's 120 million dollars, three times the budget of HL2

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Valve actually does a lot of great work in other areas.

Just off the top of my head R&D of various kinds, Virtual Reality, Steam (both for consumers and devs), Linux graphics drivers and debuggers etc, Vulkan API etc. They have been critical in the success and resurgence of PC gaming industry.

It's just that they do not do what we want them to do (make games).

12 minutes ago, Agost said:

I mean, Valve makes tons of money with Steam, they could hire back lots of people (and new developers too) and make new MAGNIFICENT games like HL and Portal just to improve the company image. Moreover, lots of steam users would buy those new games since they can push a lot of advertising on their own platform.

Imagine only 10% of steam users buying HL3 for an average of $20. It's 120 million dollars, three times the budget of HL2

120 million dollars can create lots of hats, knives and other microtransaction things.

You've gotta face the reality of things which is that Free-to-play and microtransactions work and result in far less effort for devs.

We can all sit here and lament the fact that Gabe and Valve basically lost the passion for creating games but that's kind of futile: reality is that for whatever reason they're now just a for-profit company and their big budget development days are behind them.

It's better to move on and just support other up and coming devs that are still interested in creating actual, complex games because they still like to do it not just to appease fans, to get lots of money, etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 minutes ago, Agost said:

Not saying it has to be this big but GTA V budget was $265 Million, and took 7 years (8+ for PC).

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

120 million dollars can create lots of hats, knives and other microtransaction things.

You've gotta face the reality of things which is that Free-to-play and microtransactions work and result in far less effort for devs.

We can all sit here and lament the fact that Gabe and Valve basically lost the passion for creating games but that's kind of futile: reality is that for whatever reason they're not just a for-profit company and their big budget development days are behind them.

It's better to move on and just support other up and coming devs that are still interested in creating actual, complex games because they still like to do it not just to appease fans, to get lots of money, etc.

Again, that would be an image investment imho. I don't really like microtransactions and so do lots of other players

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Not saying it has to be this big but GTA V budget was $265 Million, and took 7 years (8+ for PC).

GTA V was cross-gen and ported on all three main platforms, HL3/ep3 would be PC only on and already developed engine with some work already done, with much less need to spend in advertising.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

because they have one of the most boring gameplay i've ever played.

I wouldn't call Bioshock, Singularity, F.E.A.R, Crysis, Far Cry etc. boring. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

23 minutes ago, Agost said:

Again, that would be an image investment imho. I don't really like microtransactions and so do lots of other players

I covered that: appeasing fans is not really enough to justify an AAA game with an AAA budget. Fans will eventually just shut up believe it or not.

-------

Current Rig

-------