Gamestop is blaming "lagging Xbox One Sales" for poor Software Sales

AlTech

Gamestop is blaming "lagging Xbox One Sales" for poor software sales.

GameStop provided one of those tidbits in its latest earnings report, noting that its new and preowned software sales were both hurt by "lagging Xbox One sales."

Gamestop seems to think that people aren't buying Xbox One Games right now because of the upcoming Xbox One X launch. This kinda makes sense I guess but not really. Xbox One games work on Xbox One and Xbox One X. The problem could be people are waiting to buy Xbox One X optimized game titles.

The mega-retailer, which has nearly 4,000 stores in the US and 2,000 more internationally, didn't share specific breakouts for the Xbox One or other consoles, but it did say that new and preowned software sales had declined 3.4 and 7.5 percent, respectively. Microsoft's "lagging" performance was the only reason for that drop that the retailer shared publicly; GameStop cited the slow sales a number of times in an earnings call yesterday. "In both new and preowned, we're seeing underperformance in Xbox One versus PS4, which we believe is due to the coming Xbox One X launch," GameStop CFO Robert Lloyd said in that call.

GameStop was more optimistic about Microsoft's console future, though, thanks to the upcoming Xbox One X. "We also just started taking preorders on the Xbox One X this week. And while it's still early, we are pleased with the initial consumer response to this powerful new console."

And lastly, Gamestop made a comment about the Games Console market.

"The Switch launch is one of the keys we have been watching all year to gauge the consumer's appetite for gaming," Raines said. "Based on the results so far, the consumer's appetite for gaming is healthy and we believe that all consoles have opportunities for growth."

I think their analysis of the games console market was rather interesting. I do think it has an opportunity to grow but I'm not sure by how much it could grow. A lot of people move from Console to PC and Sony's already gotten 2x more console sales than Microsoft has for this generation based on rumored Xbox One Sales numbers. i think that anybody who wanted a PS4 or Xbox One has already bought one. I could potentially see some owners upgrading to the mid generation refreshes but I don't think many will adopt them. Sony's Playstation 4 Pro has not gained a lot of traction in the almost 1 year that it's been out on the market.

Source:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/08/gamestop-blames-lagging-xbox-one-sales-for-poor-software-performance/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I haven't been to a Gamestop in years, no need to when you just download your games.

Eh I still like discs and cartridges, different sensation. Although not necessarily considering you have to download 5000 terabytes of data before you can play with discs anyways.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

IIRC this was posted last friday?

?

Are you sure?

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Eh I still like discs and cartridges, different sensation. Although not necessarily considering you have to download 5000 terabytes of data before you can play with discs anyways.

Instead of download more RAM, how about downloading more discs :D?

/Sarcasm

I remember reading this story last Friday... it was either on this forum but I guess I could have saw it on ARS lol. I'll do a quick search and see if I can confirm or not.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

?

Are you sure?

I was wrong. xD Definitely read the article on ARS then, my bad! (I did not recall correclty....)

Just now, NinJake said:

I was wrong. xD Definitely read the article on ARS then, my bad! (I did not recall correclty....)

Lol. kk Thanks for checking :). It's cool.

26 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I haven't been to a Gamestop in years, no need to when you just download your games.

Good source for collectors that want physical games. Used prices are actually less than ebay on average. That coupled with all the sales they have makes it good for that. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

57 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

45 minutes ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

I tend to buy games physically (at least for my Switch) when they are >30 USD (Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (60USD)) just because I can, in the future, get something for them if I decide I don't want them, and because I've had bad experiences with online purchases on my old 3DS from way back when. Though, most of my games on that console are digitally purchased.

On Xbox One and PC everything I purchase is digital.

35 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Good source for collectors that want physical games. Used prices are actually less than ebay on average. That coupled with all the sales they have makes it good for that. 

That was my personal view on it, I do get their are some reason why people would go to Gamestop to get games but I think me and most people would rather just download them.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

44 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

That was my personal view on it, I do get their are some reason why people would go to Gamestop to get games but I think me and most people would rather just download them.

I like owning discs even if I have to download basically 99% of the game anyway on launch day. Pc discs are basically gone though, I got black ops 3 pre ordered discs through Walmart but now you can only get digital pre orders. 

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

I mean I'm not surprised.  Have you looked at the exclusive Xbox One lineup?  It's actually a VERY small list of games that are ONLY available on the Xbox One and it's mostly just the Halo franchise and some Kinect titles.  There's even Forza on Windows Store now.  A lot of the 'exclusives' are timed and come out on PC or other platforms later, not to mention how many games are really just on both (or more) platforms from day one.

Meanwhile the PS4 has more exclusives, especially ones from Japan, that are highly unlikely to be seen on PC or Xbox.  So with more attractive exclusives AND the same multi-platform as the Xbox One, the PS4 is simply the more attractive proposition.

I mostly game on PC but I'm going to get a PS4 Pro for some JRPGs and such, including Persona 5, but what would an Xbox bring me?  Notta, just games I could already play on PC.

27 minutes ago, Ginger137 said:

I like owning discs even if I have to download basically 99% of the game anyway on launch day. Pc discs are basically gone though, I got black ops 3 pre ordered discs through Walmart but now you can only get digital pre orders. 

I pre-ordered Sonic Mania collector's edition and the box only contained a Steam key. :D

I stopped buying games at Gamestop due to the Prime discount on Amazon. I've been in Gamestop a few times this year but only to sell stuff. I can't think of any reason I would go there any more to buy something unless they were the last place on Earth with something in stock.

39 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I mean I'm not surprised.  Have you looked at the exclusive Xbox One lineup?  It's actually a VERY small list of games that are ONLY available on the Xbox One and it's mostly just the Halo franchise and some Kinect titles.  There's even Forza on Windows Store now.  A lot of the 'exclusives' are timed and come out on PC or other platforms later, not to mention how many games are really just on both (or more) platforms from day one.

Meanwhile the PS4 has more exclusives, especially ones from Japan, that are highly unlikely to be seen on PC or Xbox.  So with more attractive exclusives AND the same multi-platform as the Xbox One, the PS4 is simply the more attractive proposition.

I mostly game on PC but I'm going to get a PS4 Pro for some JRPGs and such, including Persona 5, but what would an Xbox bring me?  Notta, just games I could already play on PC.

I personally would count any anywhere games due to it being a Microsoft exclusive, but ya it is not a big list.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I personally would count any anywhere games due to it being a Microsoft exclusive, but ya it is not a big list.

If we add 'Microsoft Exclusives', that's actually only an additional 11 titles.  (Assuming Wikipedia's list of Xbox One titels is complete and accurate)  Though I'd admit that the Forza games can be enticing there.  But it's still a very short addition to the 'exclusives' list.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

If we add 'Microsoft Exclusives', that's actually only an additional 11 titles.  (Assuming Wikipedia's list of Xbox One titels is complete and accurate)  Though I'd admit that the Forza games can be enticing there.  But it's still a very short addition to the 'exclusives' list.

It does seem Microsoft is moving towards a Microsoft exclusive vs Xbox exclusive. I am so glad Forza 7 is coming to PC, happy I can play a proper Forza game on PC for once.

Look at how many PS4 (all models) sold. Look at how many units PS4 games sell at most. Its because the games are getting less and less interesting to people.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I only go there for a few reasons:  used console games and Amiibos.  Plus, I nabbed some serious cheap stuff when they do their huge sales.  If you know what you are doing, you can stack the discounts and sales.  If I have to trade in stuff, I go to 2nd N Charles.  They do trade in bonuses on occasions (that how I nabbed a PS4 Pro for 250 bucks  :P ).

Though if I am used console game hunting I go in this order:

Walmart (my Aunt works in the electronic area right by the used games, hehe, I get heads up on all the sales and mark downs)

2nd N Charles (during their sales)

Gamestop (during their sales)

Amazon

5 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Yeah, the exclusive are small.  I may get a used Xbox One down the road as a cheapo media box (like I did my PS3s at 150 bucks).

O, you going to enjoy Persona 5.  B|  Pretty slick JRPG.  Kind of glad Sony keeps bringing the JRPGs State side.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

6 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Agreed its very limited. And the one's being true exclusive are not that great either. Sunset Overdrive comes to mind. Gear of War 4 i think? And Dead Rising, which also had a PC release later on. And Halo 5 the flagship of MS was the worst selling Halo of all time. Good job 343i! And i cant blame the fans, they voted with their wallet. The game flopped for many reasons.

So what else is there on Xbox? Forza? Yeah they really lack exclusives or good quality games. So basicly you get 1 exclusive per year, maybe 2 orso? Then you even need to pay for going online. The reason is for servers. Yet its all hybrid or still p2p. You get 2 free games per month, and there is a reason for those games are free. Although sometimes there are really nice games selected.

In the Playestation 3 and Xbox 360 era. Xbox has 10 console exclusives pretty fast. And it took a long time before Playstation had 10 actual exclusives. Now it seems the tables have turned and the Xbox is lacking games.

Yeah exactly Playstation 4 has enough games for everyone to like. But from a technical aspect nothing impressive either. But it seem to be working for them.

And another problem is the tons of remasters on both consoles. Every good or bad title gets a remaster. Making a quick profit twice of the same game. I wouldnt be supprised if there is more remasters then actual exclusives this generation.

Both consoles have serious issues when it comes to prices, hardware, and games.