Intel announces 8th gen Kaby Lake refresh for mobile. Desktop in fall

porina

So no i7 8700k at all yet? damn sold my 3970x for nothing :/ Might as well keep up with this 6700 all the way to Ice Lake then... such a bloody waste.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Damn. I was expecting this event to contain nothing of value to me, and you know what? I was wrong.

Intel's 6-core desktop CPUs are meaningless to me, I already got a 1700X, but 4-core ULV parts? I've hated how companies seem to think that 4-core chips necessitate a dGPU -It's wasted space, heat, power, and cost if you don't use it- But if there's gonna be 4-core ULV chips, even if they still need beefier cooling and more power, we might finally start seeing an actual selection there.

I don't think I'm gonna let go of my T450s for a while more, but I might start getting tempted soon.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

So, the U-Series i5 again has the same number of threads and cores as the u-Series i7? I guess we can expect minimal performance difference between them (except for cache-heavy situations where 2MB more make a difference) given that they'll throttle in many situations anyways...

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

1 minute ago, Ground said:

So, the U-Series i5 again has the same number of threads and cores as the u-Series i7? I guess we can expect minimal performance difference between them (except for cache-heavy situations where 2MB more make a difference) given that they'll throttle in many situations anyways...

Yeah... I have no idea what Intel is doing with their naming scheme anymore. It seems like they're just abandoning any form or structure and going "well let's give the top couple skus this name and like just Hodge lodge the rest of the skus under our other two names."

22 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Yeah... I have no idea what Intel is doing with their naming scheme anymore. It seems like they're just abandoning any form or structure and going "well let's give the top couple skus this name and like just Hodge lodge the rest of the skus under our other two names."

To be fair, it's not like this is anything new for their mobile chips. The 'i9' and 'X' branding got screwed up on desktop, but so far (even though it could change very soon), they seem to be keeping i3/i5/i7 consistent on the consumer platform.

Of course bumping the ULV chips to 4 cores gave them a golden opportunity to make the naming scheme consistent, with the same core/thread counts as with the higher power and desktop chips, but they obviously didn't take it.

44 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Damn. I was expecting this event to contain nothing of value to me, and you know what? I was wrong.

Intel's 6-core desktop CPUs are meaningless to me, I already got a 1700X, but 4-core ULV parts? I've hated how companies seem to think that 4-core chips necessitate a dGPU -It's wasted space, heat, power, and cost if you don't use it- But if there's gonna be 4-core ULV chips, even if they still need beefier cooling and more power, we might finally start seeing an actual selection there.

I don't think I'm gonna let go of my T450s for a while more, but I might start getting tempted soon.

Why are hexa cores meaningless?i5 8400 will be cheaper than 1600 and unlocked hexa cores will certainly be more useful than extra 2 cores to some people.

Z370 boards appear to be coming in October, which means that's likely the launch window. Late September/Early October has seemed the timeline for a while, so that's not surprising.

"8th Gen" for Intel is a mess. They've got parts on 14nm+, 14nm++ and 10nm processes. 14nm was rough for Intel. 10nm must have cost a lot of execs a lot of hair.

24 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Why are hexacores meaningless?

They're meaningless →to me←.

I don't have to explain how, if the rumors are true, they'll be great chips across the board and, even if they're more expensive, they'll challenge Ryzen in a way that the 7th gen just wasn't capable of.

But I got a 1700X. I'm perfectly happy with it, I won't be changing it any time soon, and so I don't care about them.

This is disappointing. I was hoping that desktop CPUs would be announced today as well.

Well, they better announce them before the end of October, because that's when I decide to stick with Intel or go AMD.

9 hours ago, porina said:

Intel only stated that other members of the 8th Generation family (which contains Kaby Lake Refresh, Coffee Lake and Cannon Lake)

At this point, why even bother grouping things in "generations"...? 9_9

8700k is October 5th release.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I'm intrigued by these. My work laptop has a Kaby Lake Xeon (4c/8t), I think 45w, and it gets astonishingly good battery life with the Quadro deactivated. If that has trickled down to the cheaper SKUs, I might be looking at a new home laptop that doesn't need the processing power.

22 minutes ago, juri-han said:

didn't intel delay the desktop coffee lake till 2018? 

Sort of. 

K SKUs should be out in October with the Z370 board. Non-K SKUs Q1'2018 it seems.

Let the Core Wars begin ;)

SWCW1.jpg

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

1 hour ago, snortingfrogs said:

Let the Core Wars begin ;)

SWCW1.jpg

"STAR THE CORE WARS WARS"

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.