Threadripper - too big for current coolers? UPDATE 2

WereCat

this thing had to be validated, right .. right

so, what cooler did they validated it with?

Thread cleaned.

I would like to remind everyone that calling out a specific user falls under the harassment clause of the CS;

No harassment, discrimination or abuse of any kind.

• This includes insults, fanboy, or troll accusations

If you think a user is trolling, report him, we're tired of cleaning up thread for this, any and all future "call outs" like these will be met with warnings for harassment.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

30 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Great... I have to buy two new coolers when I switch to the 3rd Generation of Eypc when it is released.

Where you expecting otherwise with a heat spreader that large?

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Where you expecting otherwise with a heat spreader that large?

I was expecting that I would need to get new coolers. Earlier I heard that current coolers would work with Threadripper but not that well.

12 hours ago, DXMember said:

why though?

The heat spreader is there to protect the fragile core from chipping. It also acts like it's name implies, a heat spreader. Have you ever seen an aluminum cooler with a copper plate on the bottom? Guess what the heat spreader is made of-again. Copper. It's plated with a soft silvery metal which I believe to be tin, based on it's softness and shine.

Yes the IHS helps, but it is only 1 - 2 mm thick. As a result there will be a substancial temperature delta is you have transport 50 watts along the X/Y plane.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

7 hours ago, TheCherryKing said:

I was expecting that I would need to get new coolers. Earlier I heard that current coolers would work with Threadripper but not that well.

except he has a very good point: the CPUs are launched yes? how are you going to cool it because it seems none has a cooler ready for it

and the Asetek bracket AMD put in the box ... what for!?! the surface area of the existing AIOs is not large enough

While unfortunate, I'm sure either won't take Asetek overly long to come out with a compatible cooler. One has to wonder what they'll charge though. Expensive CPU, expensive cooler? I could see the price around $200.

12 hours ago, WereCat said:

I am sure it is good enough. Stock coolers are also good enough.

They don't come with stock coolers though, do they? 

12 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Um not quite.

Honestly you're looking at 800 to 1000 for the CPU and probably 400 to 500 for a motherboard. You should at the very least invest in an EK combo I think they'll support Threadripper at or very near launch.

This is probably just a stop-gap solution that's probably not gonna be viable long term for people to boot the rigs before their custom blocks arrive.

Not entirely true. Not everyone wants to mess around with a custom loop, or wants to invest the large amount of money into what can effectively be accomplished just as well by a good air or AIO cooler. 

11 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

An adapter that allows you to mount two AIOs to the socket is clearly what's required :D

And another observation, Threadripper, not coming to mITX is it?

Haha, hell no. Ryzen already takes up too much space. 

10 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Not for 180 watt tdp products no. I'm not saying that it cannot be done but the size of the air cooler needed here just kinda ruins the looks which at this level, it is kind of important. Pump noise can be mitigated far more easily than mitigating a humongous block of aluminum taking over most of the motherboard.

And looks don't matter and we're talking workstation where then noise shouldn't matter either.

You just totally contradicted yourself in the same post... 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

53 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Yes the IHS helps, but it is only 1 - 2 mm thick. As a result there will be a substancial temperature delta is you have transport 50 watts along the X/Y plane.

ah... we'll see that soo enough,

btw TTL did a little sneaky thing where he showed off Zenith Extreme board...

so what do you think about the RGB up on the I/O shield cover? (:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Holy... had no idea threadripper was this massive O.o

It's friggin huge for a consumer chip!

Although this means if proper coolers are made for this, it'll be cooled much more effectively than similar TDP chip but of smaller size right? Since there's more surface area to disperse the heat faster.

While they are making coolers for Threadripper and Eypc, they may try to make the coolers compatible with Intel's LGA3647 socket.

15 hours ago, zMeul said:

this thing had to be validated, right .. right

so, what cooler did they validated it with?

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

except he has a very good point: the CPUs are launched yes? how are you going to cool it because it seems none has a cooler ready for it

and the Asetek bracket AMD put in the box ... what for!?! the surface area of the existing AIOs is not large enough

Threadripper is only pre-order, it's not released.

They most likely used the same coolers used on Epyc during internal testing.

AMD-Naples-Project-Olympus-OCP-Server-Motherboard.jpg

And since when was a heat spreader not enough to transfer the heat through to a cooler that has a large surface area and covers almost all of the die directly.... never. Also who are you trying to blame? AMD doesn't make coolers and this very thing happens every time Intel releases a new larger socket mount, cooler manufacturers release brackets first then new products. This happens all the time and it's never been a problem.

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And since when was a heat spreader not enough to transfer the heat through to a cooler that has a large surface area and covers almost all of the die directly.... never. Also who are you trying to blame? AMD doesn't make coolers and this very thing happens every time Intel releases a new larger socket mount, cooler manufacturers release brackets first then new products. This happens all the time and it's never been a problem.

I really like some examples

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I really like some examples

478 to 775

775 to 1366

1366 to 2011

There was even a time when the existing coolers didn't make complete coverage for Intel CPU dies too and it was fine, I think that was when the first dual cores came out. I'm not exactly sure it was a long time ago.

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

While unfortunate, I'm sure either won't take Asetek overly long to come out with a compatible cooler. One has to wonder what they'll charge though. Expensive CPU, expensive cooler? I could see the price around $200.

They don't come with stock coolers though, do they? 

I don't know:

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

478 to 775

775 to 1366

1366 to 2011

mate ... mate ...

all Intel CPUs shipped with boxed coolers did they not!?

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

mate ... mate ...

all Intel CPUs shipped with boxed coolers did they not!?

Nope.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Nope.

I'm not talking about K and X series

but even then, the existing coolers are usable; quite another thing with Threadripper 

44 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I'm not talking about K and X series

but even then, the existing coolers are usable; quite another thing with Threadripper 

You can use them with Threadripper, that is what the bracket included for Asetek AIO is for. Also screw everyone who has paid for decent coolers who want to reuse them on the next generation of CPUs that will work perfectly fine with a bracket. I've had a cooler that I got on 775 that I used all the way through to 1366.

Warning about non optimal coverage that may slightly impact cooling performance != unusable. How is it those existing computers using Threadripper that have been shown off and have even run Cinebench been working? Magic?

but as the hotspots are covered, the biggest need is taken care of – getting heat away from the die as quickly as possible. Still, we think there’s a lot of room here for cooler manufacturers to build TR-specific coolers that would be more efficient at removing heat from the IHS

http://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3008-threadripper-cooler-and-thermalpaste-coverage-vs-die-ihs

I don't think this conversation really needs to continue, the coolers work and there is improvements that cooling manufacturers need to do not AMD. At least when you buy a Threadripper CPU you can install it and run the system and even put it under stock loads and not have a problem.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't know:

The unboxing of what are apparently retail packages show no cooler. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

While it's interesting, as it suggests that better cooling will come later, that's a pretty different issue from "works at Stock & mild OC" vs "hyper-high OC". The argument that AMD has launched a product that can't be cooled, which it was the assumption of a few in this thread, seems quite stupid.

The only things is really suggests is that large-block Air coolers should be able to work fine and that there will probably be a round of specific coolers for TR going forward, and that one should probably put thermal paste closer to the edges. TR shares an identical heat dissipation profile with Epyc CPUs, AMD has spent a lot of engineering time on this stuff.

53 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The unboxing of what are apparently retail packages show no cooler. 

It only includes a mounting bracket for Asetek OEM AIO coolers which actually covers a lot, if you don't have one of those you'll need to get a bracket for your cooler if available otherwise you're shit out of luck.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

It only includes a mounting bracket for Asetek OEM AIO coolers which actually covers a lot, if you don't have one of those you'll need to get a bracket for your cooler if available otherwise you're shit out of luck.

Yeah that's what I thought.

If I was investing in such a platform though, I'd definitely wait for "proper" coolers.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Current coolers probably work better on this than the coolers on the X299 VRM?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs