AMD '#Rekt son' reply to Intel's "four glued together" statement

what I don't get is these are going to be used in large business, who have IT departments, I would love to meet the IT manager that would fall for this BS advertising, yeah maybe the other staff, but before any company outlays moneys like this thy'll do some research.

This go from Intel is something that my mom would say oh but I heard Intel is much better, but a It Professional I just can't see it working on. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

what I don't get is these are going to be used in large business, who have IT departments, I would love to meet the IT manager that would fall for this BS advertising, yeah maybe the other staff, but before any company outlays moneys like this thy'll do some research.

This go from Intel is something that my mom would say oh but I heard Intel is much better, but a It Professional I just can't see it working on. 

It doesn't have to work on the IT professional. It has to work on the guy that green lights tech purchases.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Not_Sean said:

Not all IT departments are going to be informed as others some business are like regular consumers and just buy what they're familiar with

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

21 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

It is straight up worse. You can't out do the laws of physics. Theres a reason 100ns is added to the base latency when talking outside even CCX's. You can make it as small as you can but there will always be a hit when you talk outside of the cores themselves.

That 100ns isn't related to distance between dies though. Intel QPI link between CPUs is only 40ns which is a greater difference also leaving the CPU package, what you are seeing is bad L3 latency not IF latency.

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

TBH that ecosystem slide looks very unimpressive.

That don't even have the Hitachi twins. Such a poor ecosystem. Sad. 

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

I'm willing to believe that Hitachi was just an honest mistake, if it was really the only duplicated brand.

It wasn't. But the duplicates are a minor concern, they can be honest mistakes that you make while cramming in as many random logos as possible in a slide for no good reason. What we should ask ourselves is why is Hitachi (an many others) there even once. I'm which way is it part of any CPU manufacturer's  "ecosystem"? 

They may as well list the electrical companies for supplying 110/220V to Intel - based sereverd... 

(OP: I'm pretty sure "determinism" in the quote was just an autocorrect fail when transcribing the speech...) 

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

That 100ns isn't related to distance between dies though. Intel QPI link between CPUs is only 40ns which is a greater difference also leaving the CPU package, what you are seeing is bad L3 latency not IF latency.

Can't remember who the graph was from but it showed ryzen having lower latency than the x299 cpu's

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

2 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Hitachi

DDN

You actually went to look for it?! o.OxD

Intel partners is seriously enormous compare to AMD's. Below is the actual link to those logos in their slide.

https://builders.intel.com/membership

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Being a different method, does not automatically make it an inferior method.

It's a cheaper method and you get what you pay for.  No one is going to optimize their software for AMD so if your software and tools doesn't work right out of the gate with the assload of NUMA domains then you're going to buy Intel.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

3 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Can't remember who the graph was from but it showed ryzen having lower latency than the x299 cpu's

Until you needed to hop outside the CCX and then it shit itself, and that wasn't even on TR or Epyc where it then has to hop across IF.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It's a cheaper method and you get what you pay for.  No one is going to optimize their software for AMD so if your software and tools doesn't work right out of the gate with the assload of NUMA domains then you're going to buy Intel.

That's a rather bold statement to make... People will end up optimising for AMD since software optimisation is a thing unless the company for teh software went out of business or something.

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Until you needed to hop outside the CCX and then it shit itself, and that wasn't even on TR or Epyc where it then has to hop across IF.

And it still wasn't that much higher than x299  when it went across the IF

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

You actually went to look for it?! o.OxD

Intel partners is seriously enormous compare to AMD's. Below is the actual link to those logos in their slide.

https://builders.intel.com/membership

Mate, I knew about the Hitachi from the WAN show and I recognized the double DDN instantly when I looked at that slide. I didn't know the Costco one but I did know there was a third based off of the article on Tomshardware.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

That's a rather bold statement to make... People will end up optimising for AMD since software optimisation is a thing unless the company for teh software went out of business or something.

And it still wasn't that much higher than x299  when it went across the IF

latency-pingtimes.png

This is the one.  Doesn't include IF to another chip on the package.  Going up 3.5x in latency depending on your workload is pretty well qualified as "inconsistent performance" as mentioned on the Intel slides.

7 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

latency-pingtimes.png

This is the one.  Doesn't include IF to another chip on the package.  Going up 3.5x in latency depending on your workload is pretty well qualified as "inconsistent performance" as mentioned on the Intel slides.

True, but consistent bad < inconsistent bad/good

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

17 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It doesn't have to work on the IT professional. It has to work on the guy that green lights tech purchases.

17 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Not all IT departments are going to be informed as others some business are like regular consumers and just buy what they're familiar with

While I agree with both of your points for normal IT, I've worked in corporate It (Worked for Audi & VW South Africa Head Office), this stuff is not cheap this isn't a little store going out and dropping this kind of money on a IBM / HP Solution for their server room, those guys are buying cheapest.

We did 19 new IBM servers and the only one who presented the quotes is the IT manager, the CFO and GM can comment all they want but business's understand that they hired a guy for the job, most they will say and we've had it is that option is to expensive come back with cheaper option, they do not care  what brand/ models are chosen. 

I don't dispute that this post with intel will cause big miss understanding with IT guys, but the people who are buying the big numbers and the dual socket Rack servers won't be fooled by this, and if they are than they shouldn't be in the position they are in. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

44 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

It takes engineering to get a solid manufacturing node that will work and to make a system inside the die for those cores to talk to each other. Good lord, AMD used to make fun of the Core 2 Quad for being MCM for the exact same reasons. 

No, not for the exact same reasons.  Hmm, I wish I had thought to mention what those reasons were.  If only I had posted that information somewhere.

Oh, wait.  I DID!

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

True, but recall that the Intel method was flawed, due to their reliance on the NB bus for interconnects between the dies.

Once again, words and words without any comprehension of them.

31 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Oh it's a fantastic product that is much better for the price. My argument was never over if it was a good product or not. Just saying that calling Intel childish and wrong over this is silly.

It is a bit childish, but honestly I laugh at it and move on.  What I do consider childish, however, is your constant need to defend Intel's design choices by deriding AMD.  Yes, there is a latency hit for MCM (not like Intel's version, which I once again explained above), but saying it's the less elegant/cruder is a subjective opinion.  There is no objective basis for that statement.  And saying it's less technologically advanced - when it allows bypassing a current technological limitation while being cost effective - is simply being disingenuous.

I honestly don't know why I'm bothering to respond again, since you'll probably just ignore what I wrote and respond to your own preconceived notion of my post, but I figure it's worth one last attempt.

2 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

. Multiple dies is a less elegant and technologically advanced,

That's a pretty empty claim to belong in engineering or computer science. I mean, "elegant"? leave that to Versace or whatever :P

2 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

I also never said it had bad performance just that it is inherently inferior

So it's inferior in a sense that doesn't involve worse performance? Meaning what then? Are we discussing technology or poetry? 

1 hour ago, Hunter259 said:

I already explained why it's worse and you don't deny that it is so I'm confused to why you can't understand that it is worse in a technical standpoint. 

Except you haven't. You see, you are focusing on a very narrow object, "cross-die latency", and basing your whole assessment of the approach on that. You forget that we are taking about server CPUs, and that many other factors are as important. Or more, like I/O. Have you seen how it works on monolithic high core count chips? How there is a hierarchy in terms of I/O access, with only some cores having direct access? Your latency claims get reveresed when we discuss access to I/O latency, a "slightly relevant" issue in the data center context... 

Si, no, it's not that easy to rank these designs. 

57 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I don't know why people talk like it takes a Nobel prize to see through those slides... Frankly, they insult the intelligence of most any reader, no need for any specific training. 

(I also love this forum seeing how, when there was a discussion about the gender wage gap,  every form was super rational and the market would drive out anyone deviating from perfect profit maximization, but the moment we discuss corporate hardware, all firms are run by idiots and any attempt to fool them works :P). 

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't know why people talk like it takes a Nobel prize to see through those slides... Frankly, they insult the intelligence of most any reader, no need for any specific training. 

Seeing as Intel's slides were internal use, for Intel's salesmen, it doesn't matter what anyone outside would have thought about it.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I also love this forum seeing how, when there was a discussion about the gender wave gap,  every form was super rational and the market would drive out anyone deviating from perfect profit maximization, but the moment we discuss corporate hardware, all firms are run by idiots and any attempt to fool them works :P

There is a difference between knowing how to maximize profits by adjusting wages and most costs, and knowing how to balance IT Infrastructure to maximize profits.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

There is a difference between knowing how to maximize profits by adjusting wages and most costs, and knowing how to balance IT Infrastructure to maximize profits.

Oh, no, I'm not even going there again, but have fun! 

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I'm confused... Is he assuming that everyone on this planet who's in charge of making purchases for IT departments are rational and sensible people 100% of the time ? If he so I'd like for him to meet the man who told me that an i5-650 and an i5-6500 were the same processor

Just now, XenosTech said:

I'm confused... Is he assuming that everyone on this planet who's in charge of making purchases for IT departments are rational and sensible people 100% of the time ? If he is I'd like for him to meet the man talk told me that an i5-650 and an i5-6500 were the same processor

Apparently.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, bcguru9384 said:

curious? 

did you circle those using win 10?

1. Why do you care?

2. I didn’t make the picture, I just found it on r/amd.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Apparently.

Damn. That same man also told me that anything above 4gb of RAM for desktop use was waste. Shit that was the longest 3 weeks of my life trying to convince some one on how to properly upgrade their client's pcs in the future but at least I didn't have to tell him to put in a ssd

@SpaceGhostC2C

Also have to wonder how many people commenting actually work in large data centers so have the working experience to back up what they are saying and not just regurgitating what is unbeknownst to them Intel's marketing and definition of how to do things ;).

Not to say that some of the stuff being said isn't true but if you don't know what the actual impact is and how it effects design and resourcing better phrasing to reflect that should really be used.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

Not this time around lol

They might be eating bluegrass, but the green grass remains. (which is sad. I don't get how they hit such a home run here, but then decide to completely drop the GPU ball)

The cow is not AMD though.   The cow simply represents amusing event, it is how AMD responds to it that determines how much "green" gets eaten. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.