Atari announces new console

Jito463

I think we're definitely fully into the late 80/early 90s nostalgia boom.  We should be getting a SNES Classic this year and Atari is going to launch a console.

So, I wanna reply to this thread much more seriously now.  Atari announced a 'console' but said little more than 'We're in teh hardware business again!' without any more details... all in the freaking week following E3.  They didn't even use E3 to announce a console.

Frankly, this thing will be nothing.  My money is that it'll be some cute little ARM box in a mini 2600/VCS  shaped case, much like the NES Classic, and it'll MAYBE connect to an online store to download old Atari games.  Whatever it is, it won't be a mainline console, it'll be something cute and small and a lot safer to sell than throwing five billion dollars into trying to get back into the console market.  (Well, 5 million is what MS lost on the classic Xbox. :P )

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

So, I wanna reply to this thread much more seriously now.  Atari announced a 'console' but said little more than 'We're in teh hardware business again!' without any more details... all in the freaking week following E3.  They didn't even use E3 to announce a console.

Frankly, this thing will be nothing.  My money is that it'll be some cute little ARM box in a mini 2600/VCS  shaped case, much like the NES Classic, and it'll MAYBE connect to an online store to download old Atari games.  Whatever it is, it won't be a mainline console, it'll be something cute and small and a lot safer to sell than throwing five billion dollars into trying to get back into the console market.  (Well, 5 million is what MS lost on the classic Xbox. :P )

You could be right, though the fact that they said it will be based on PC specs does tend to deflect away from that possibility.  I've never seen a "PC" with an ARM chip.

Just now, Jito463 said:

You could be right, though the fact that they said it will be based on PC specs does tend to deflect away from that possibility.  I've never seen a "PC" with an ARM chip.

My bad. Then it'll be some little atom or celeron thingy or something instead. :P 

4 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Sylvania smartbook.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Jito463 said:

Okay, then a good PC

Sylvania Smartbook with Puppy Linux.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'm half expecting this new console to be a remake of my favorite game, Command and Prompt

On a serious note: Seeing Atari's record with game publishing in recent years, I'm not too enthused over the console.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I'm just deeply skeptical that this is even going to happen. How do they even have the capitol to do the R&D on something like this? They're treading water at best. Remember that time they partnered with Denny's to release those cross promotional remixes of their classic properties? Even that seemed like a desperate attempt just to make payroll.

Why not just release games for the switch? I don't think another console will survive unless maybe if it's fairly cheap which i kinda think it will be anyway.

Heh...good luck Atari.  The last decent system you had was the 2600 VCS...and maybe, MAYBE if I'm feeling generous, the Atari Lynx.

Although I admit, I still like the soundtrack to Tempest 2000.

I'm wondering if they went to AMD with hat in hand and asked for a trim and lean OEM APU and are going to use a generic OEM board design from a partner and farm out case and assembly to a chinese factory and put out a little 1080p bluetooth console that can play from pretty much any major publisher's digital storefront.

I mean they keep the price down I'd be super down for an Atari piece of hardware that could play some of my favorite old school games, could be made to run emulators, and can throw down on things like SimCity, World of Tanks, Crossout, WoW, etc.

4 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

I mean they keep the price down I'd be super down for an Atari piece of hardware that could play some of my favorite old school games, could be made to run emulators, and can throw down on things like SimCity, World of Tanks, Crossout, WoW, etc.

me too.   Especially the idea of an emulator.  Although not likely, I would love an online library of all the old mostly defunct console games.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And what would it play? 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

23 minutes ago, mr moose said:

me too.   Especially the idea of an emulator.  Although not likely, I would love an online library of all the old mostly defunct console games.

I've already got'em, so long as we get, AT LEAST, android/linux? I got emulation covered. Gimme a nice, affordable, do-it-all device with a GOOD Atari aesthetic and I will scrape the funds together to get one

im betting on it's going to be like a OUYA (remember them?)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

@Jito463 Didn't knew Atari was still a thing. What have they done lately?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

33 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Not much

https://www.atari.com/buy-games/all/pc-download

+ a whole heap of mobile shit.   like roller coaster tycoon etc.

I hope they make a come back,  in the 80's atari almost became the generic term for any game console. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yaaaaay, more castrated PCs ready to hurt the market with exclusivity deals and outdated hardware!

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

16 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Yaaaaay, more castrated PCs ready to hurt the market with exclusivity deals and outdated hardware!

in before a corporate shill comes here to tell you how they are "optimised" and "easy" and offer "better online services" than your 4000$ build

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

7 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

I'm wondering if they went to AMD with hat in hand and asked for a trim and lean OEM APU and are going to use a generic OEM board design from a partner and farm out case and assembly to a chinese factory and put out a little 1080p bluetooth console that can play from pretty much any major publisher's digital storefront.

That's giving them far too much credit, I'm more inclined to think they'll come up with a turd like the Ouya.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, Cyberspirit said:

Atari is basically nothing more than a brand owned by Infogrames.  The 'Atari' people remember from the 70's and 80's really just doesn't exist anymore, only it's IP remains under ownership of someone else.

4 hours ago, Sauron said:

Exclusivity doesn't hurt the market, at all. If it did, then the XBOne would have been a failure, as it has very few exclusives compared to the PS4, which has an exclusives list that is a drop of water compared to the exclusives PCs have available to them.

It's another thing to drive competition.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.