Galaxy J series (2017) finally announced-finally worth considering

Djole123

After several leaks that I posted, we are finally greeted with Galaxy J3, J5, and J7 refreshes for 2017, with not only spec bumps, but also design changes.

First off, let's start with the J3 (2017).

This phone isn't anything to brag about: it still has a plastic build with a metal camera rim. It has a 1.4GHz quad-core CPU, 1.5 or 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. It will cost about 200-215$ and comes with Android 7.0.

Now the J5 (2017).

This puppy features a major redesign from the J5 and J5 (2016). It has antenna bands, which suggests a feature that I've been asking for two fucking years-an all metal build. While it still is a 5.2" 720p panel instead of a 1080p one, it's ever so slightly curved, just like a lot of other phones. Rocking a 1.7GHz Exynos CPU with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage, while retaining a microSD card slot, this 275 euro phone is no slouge. Some of the other features are: fingerprint scanner on the home button, 13MP f/1.7 rear camera, 13MP front camera, 3000mAh battery and 4G VoLTE.

And finally, the J7 (2017).

While it might not look much different from the J5 (2017), it fundamentally is. It has a 5.5" 1080p display, a 1.6GHz Exynos CPU, 3GB of RAM, same amazing cameras from the J5, and a 3600mAh battery. What makes it stand out from the J5 is USB Type-C and IP 54 splash resistance. This comes at a cost of about 330 euros.

I am super happy that they ironed the issues with the J5s in the past, and I will try my best to get hands on one to see if I can reccomend it after giving a few harsh words for the J5 (2015).

Source:

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/samsung-galaxy-j3-2017-j5-2017-j7-2017-price-release-date-specifications-launch-170889

Edited by Djole123
sHiT i FoRgOt ThE sOuRcE

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

Cool.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Link doesn't work for me

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hi

Having water resistant , metal body and amoled displays at this price is something really good that low end users can be happy about, also the fact that these phones come with android 7 is nice since some of their chinese competitors have android 6 out of the box. 

USB C is a nice touch at this price and having a 3600mAh battery for a 5.5 inch phone is something really nice since most of the low end phone users suffer from a bad battery life.

I like their approach with A and J series , metal body , amoled , IPXX , Big battery and good camera .

I was hoping j3 would be smaller. I'm looking for a credit card sized phone because my s7 is too large for my liking. I prefer my old Sony x mini that they no longer make

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I was hoping j3 would be smaller. I'm looking for a credit card sized phone because my s7 is too large for my liking. I prefer my old Sony x mini that they no longer make

Why do you like small phones ? It's so hard get anything done on anything with a display smaller than 5 inches .

Try S8. The screen is big but the phone itself feels really small. I'm waiting for Note 8 which will have a 6.3 inch display !!! because holding an working with S8+ was easy . I think you'll find s8 okay because of infinity display and 18.5:9 aspect ratio

meh .Got my zte axon elite for 200$ . IMO this isn't great.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

5 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Why do you like small phones ? It's so hard get anything done on anything with a display smaller than 5 inches .

Try S8. The screen is big but the phone itself feels really small. I'm waiting for Note 8 which will have a 6.3 inch display !!! because holding an working with S8+ was easy . I think you'll find s8 okay because of infinity display and 18.5:9 aspect ratio

I find I use phone to read emails. I hardly write stuff. Anything urgent that cannot wait for me to get to a computer warrants a phone call. Iv had s7 for over a year and I find the large size is not practical.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

23 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I find I use phone to read emails. I hardly write stuff. Anything urgent that cannot wait for me to get to a computer warrants a phone call. Iv had s7 for over a year and I find the large size is not practical.

Wow , with full respect , It's surprising that you only use your phone for calling and reading emails cause most of the people even PC guys (including me) use their phones a lot .

sometimes you are more comfortable to seat where you want , grab your phone and do your work (for example watching Linus on youtube) instead of sitting in front of a desk , turning on your pc , waiting for it to turn on and then start watching linus ;p . 

But again , I recommend you to try S8 , you might find it easy to hold and use.

.-.?

A OnePlus X is slightly cheaper than a J7 and had flagship specs from 2014 back in 2015 and a glass/aluminium build.

Meizu and Xiaomi offer better deals it would seem for now.

Groomlake Authority

8 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

Wow , with full respect , It's surprising that you only use your phone for calling and reading emails cause most of the people even PC guys (including me) use their phones a lot .

sometimes you are more comfortable to seat where you want , grab your phone and do your work (for example watching Linus on youtube) instead of sitting in front of a desk , turning on your pc , waiting for it to turn on and then start watching linus ;p . 

I as well only use my phone whenever I have nothing better to use. The only time I use my phone is when I'm outside, working out or when I want to be entertained while taking a shit.

20 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

I want a small phone but you recommend one as large as the one I already own. Ok.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

26 minutes ago, Red Hardware said:

There's this thing called a laptop. 

Anyway, I use my phone when I'm not home, in class, or with friends (i.e. when I don't have my laptop or when it would be weird to use a laptop). I basically just just it for music when walking to/from somewhere and the majority of the time I use it for the internet -- reading the news/on forums/etc... So a big 5.5" screen works really well for me, but I also have big hands and have no problem using a big phone like a 6s+ one handed. That's not the case for everybody.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Meh.. i can get Redmi Note 4 for under $150.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

But does it have Facebook included?

/s

Also, the J5 just sounds like an overpriced Moto G5, but a bit better front camera (who cares even??).

I don't understand Samsung's budget line of phones anymore. They might as well stick to the S-series, but of course these phones sell a lot better -_-

Unrelated: 250 euro phones should seriously have 32GB of storage available out of the box.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

consider it will never ever get updated, don't waste money on this sammy garbage and grab  a xiomi or meizu, at least you get good spec

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 hours ago, Minibois said:

But does it have Facebook included?

/s

Also, the J5 just sounds like an overpriced Moto G5, but a bit better front camera (who cares even??).

I don't understand Samsung's budget line of phones anymore. They might as well stick to the S-series, but of course these phones sell a lot better -_-

Unrelated: 250 euro phones should seriously have 32GB of storage available out of the box.

You'd be staggered by the amount of people who buy the J5 for selfies because it's one of the few phones which has front facing flash, and I can confirm that it actually works pretty well.

My rig:

Spoiler

Spoiler

As others said, they are horribly expensive for what they are. I expect the Chinese manufacturers to continue dominating this specs segment. 

21 hours ago, Red Hardware said:

"Most people" strikes back :P

If we're honest, we all speak for ourselves, and each of us uses things in a different way. 

As a "PC guy", I use my worst computer (the phone) only when I can't use any of the better ones. Having a computer at home and at my office, you can guess it doesn't happen very often... And if I were to miss a device, the phone is definitely the one I would notice the least.

There may be a few things that are still more convenient in the phone even if you have access to a computer, but they don't benefit from particularly large screens. 

I thinks it's a bit like laptops back in the day: bigger screen sizes became popular as the number of people using only laptops increased, and we got 17.3, 18, etc. But at some point mobility became first order again (I guess the desktop-replacement market shrank), and 13.3 and similar became the new fashion. 

I guess I'm just saying the trade off is the, and each of us will pick a different point based on our use case. 

21 hours ago, Red Hardware said:

sometimes you are more comfortable to seat where you want , grab your phone and do your work (for example watching Linus on youtube) 

Do your work -> watch Linus..?  :P

Honestly, I find phones of any size pretty terrible to do any kind of work (other than reading or writing work emails, which is fine in any size). 

My first smartphone was 5'' (probably one of the first to be that big) because big Google maps, but I later moved to 4.5'' and is just more practical (in terms of one-hand handling, fitting in pockets comfortably, etc). 

22 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

As others said, they are horribly expensive for what they are. I expect the Chinese manufacturers to continue dominating this specs segment. 

"Most people" strikes back :P

If we're honest, we all speak for ourselves, and each of us uses things in a different way. 

As a "PC guy", I use my worst computer (the phone) only when I can't use any of the better ones. Having a computer at home and at my office, you can guess it doesn't happen very often... And if I were to miss a device, the phone is definitely the one I would notice the least.

There may be a few things that are still more convenient in the phone even if you have access to a computer, but they don't benefit from particularly large screens. 

I thinks it's a bit like laptops back in the day: bigger screen sizes became popular as the number of people using only laptops increased, and we got 17.3, 18, etc. But at some point mobility became first order again (I guess the desktop-replacement market shrank), and 13.3 and similar became the new fashion. 

I guess I'm just saying the trade off is the, and each of us will pick a different point based on our use case. 

Honestly, I find phones of any size pretty terrible to do any kind of work (other than reading or writing work emails, which is fine in any size). 

My first smartphone was 5'' (probably one of the first to be that big) because big Google maps, but I later moved to 4.5'' and is just more practical (in terms of one-hand handling, fitting in pockets comfortably, etc). 

Hi

LOL 

I was joking there ;D

I'm using a phone with 5 inch display (Galaxy S4) but I'm going to switch to Note8 which is going to have a 6.3 inch display because I do alot of multitasking and that's why I prefer a big screen. 

I prefer pc when it's available like others do but some things are not that important and heavy to use a pc for them.

For example now , I'm replying to you with my phone because I don't feel the need to turn on my pc for something as simple as this. Maybe that's me but I find it easier to use my phone for some daily tasks and that's why I prefer a big screen . It's obvious that when something is important enough,  I'll prefer to do it on a pc and having a big screen for these moments that you can't find/use a PC is helpful.

Thanks for sharing your opinion 

Not sure why they are "finally" worth considering, I use a 2016 J3 for work and it's a perfectly good phone for the money.  The only thing that's really wrong with it is the lack of a Lineage OS ROM, I'd love to get rid of the stock one because Samsung is just sooooo friggin slow with updates.