"AMD Rx Vega - Apple debuts two Vega GPUs unveiling the specs for July's gaming cards"

Tigermanic

You guys should just stop trying to figure something out from tflops numbers. As some have pointed out, they completely reworked their pipeline, with better performance /tflops ratio and some technologies like time based rendering which probably what gave maxwell an edge to begin with. This could level the perf/tflops ratio as it could not, we can't know.

I know you are dissapointed with them pushing the launch,  but we don't know much about its performance yet, so there's no point in saying big vega is just a 1070 -1080 concurrent and that amd is dead.

The only thing we know is that they're very much alive since Apple and HP both are advertising Vega, meaning it has a purpose either in performance, or in value.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I wouldn't be so sure of that. AMD's launch drivers have a history of being shit.

Well, from what I have heard, they have supposedly worked harder on launch drivers now than before, but it's also a bigger difference in architecture than before....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, laminutederire said:

You guys should just stop trying to figure something out from tflops numbers. As some have pointed out, they completely reworked their pipeline, with better performance /tflops ratio and some technologies like time based rendering which probably what gave maxwell an edge to begin with. This could level the perf/tflops ratio as it could not, we can't know.

I know you are dissapointed with them pushing the launch,  but we don't know much about its performance yet, so there's no point in saying big vega is just a 1070 -1080 concurrent and that amd is dead.

The only thing we know is that they're very much alive since Apple and HP both are advertising Vega, meaning it has a purpose either in performance, or in value.

I wish people would stop talking about tflops on a whole... It' not like it translates into better gaming performance 99% of the time

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

I wish people would stop talking about tflops on a whole... It' not like it translates into better gaming performance 99% of the time

True that, especially when we don't know anything about that architecture in gaming

Just now, laminutederire said:

True that, especially when we don't know anything about that architecture in gaming

I mean look at the 480/580... those are on par with the 1070 when it comes to stuff like mining but the 1070 is miles ahead in gaming and it's neck and neck with the 1060.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

22 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

^^ This, a 4.4 TFLOP 1060 is on par with a 5.5 TFLOP RX 480. TFLOPs don't indicate performance, unless you are talking about compute performance

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

^^ This, a 4.4 TFLOP 1060 is on par with a 5.5 TFLOP RX 480. TFLOPs don't indicate performance, unless you are talking about compute performance

Even then at compute performance clock speed and pipeline design are still crucial to that performance.

Just now, XenosTech said:

Even then at compute performance clock speed and pipeline design are still crucial to that performance.

Yeah, I am simply saying that if you are comparing compute performance, TFLOPs are somewhat accurate ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 hours ago, Tigermanic said:

And if these aren't the specs for July's first two RX Vega cards I'll eat a Frontier Edition...

I guess someone is eating a GPU pretty soon. It's pretty clear Apple uses the "Radeon Pro" versions or whatever they call the former ATI FirePro now. Basically AMD's Quadro.

41 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I mean look at the 480/580... those are on par with the 1070 when it comes to stuff like mining but the 1070 is miles ahead in gaming and it's neck and neck with the 1060.

Yes they are, and Raja knows it. He talked about that a while back, where he acknowledged that amd cards were underutilized in games, thus the rework they did with vega with pipeline scheduling etc

1 hour ago, Starelementpoke said:

I mean, this is assuming VEGA is just Almost pretty much the exact same as Polaris. 

Even a 15% efficiency uplift is amazing, but not enough to reach GP102.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, Energycore said:

Raja's a Ph.D? :P

5 hours ago, Prysin said:

close, but not quite.

Fun fact: Raja has a Masters in Electronics and in Business.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Even if it doesn't beat out the 1080ti.... it will definitely be a few hundo cheaper...

Vega transitioned from GCN to NCU. you guys have a magic ball or what? we don't know how will it perform regarding its tflops

i

The norms in which determines the measure of morality of a human act are objective to the moral law and subjectively man/woman's conscience

6 hours ago, Energycore said:

Well he worked there. It's not like Apple is his parents :P

Sure he can be Apple's brood and they could've reared him.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

7 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Nothing I already didn't know though. I know AMD wants to sell Vega FE before RX variants though Apple and others maybe may request many so RX Vega release was set further.

Apple won't be using RX counterparts of AMD VEGA, they'll be using the Radeon Pro counterparts. 

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Fun fact: Raja has a Masters in Electronics and in Business.

it's almost like he has been planning specifically to be in the business of selling you GPUs.... 

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

GCN 4.0? I think their information is wrong on that one :P

Yep, its 5.0

For those not keeping count:

Pitcairn/Tahiti = 1.0

Hawaii/Kaveri = 2.0

Tonga/Fiji = 3.0

Polaris = 4.0

VEGA = 5.0

NAVI = 6.0?

7 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Only beating the 1080ti by 1 TFLOP is pretty bad news. Means it won't come close to 1080ti performance, and probably won't beat the 1080 by all that much.

480 sits at 5.8 TFLOPS, the 1060 is only 4.4 and they have the same performance (+/- 3%).

The 1080 is already north of 9 TFLOPS.

Using the same AMD to Nvidia TFLOP efficiency (4.4/5.8*12.5)="9.5 Nvidia TFLOPs Projected"

Now with that said... we obviously expect Vega to be more computationally efficient than Polaris, but it would be a nice boost to beat the 1080, the 1080ti is completely out of reach.

Previous AMD tflops : performance ratio are no longer valid with Vega. Below video explains why.

This is the most radical GCN iteration yet

12 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Yep, its 5.0

For those not keeping count:

Pitcairn/Tahiti = 1.0

Hawaii/Kaveri = 2.0

Tonga/Fiji = 3.0

Polaris = 4.0

VEGA = 5.0

NAVI = 6.0?

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

This is the most radical GCN iteration yet

It's not GCN though, it's NCU.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

11 hours ago, Energycore said:

Well he worked there. It's not like Apple is his parents :P

Well...you know what I mean xD

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

The real open question with RX Vega is the new driver approach. If they've completely redone that, we simply can't predict what the results will be. The leaks from the same sources as the AMD CPU say it's really good, but that's about all we have to go on right now.  We know it'll be competitive, but we haven't even gotten suggestions on prices yet.

We simply lack information at the moment to figure out anything useful. Leaks have actually been surprisingly small.  We know a ton about upcoming CPUs, but GPUs are just nothing but crumbs right now.

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The real open question with RX Vega is the new driver approach. If they've completely redone that, we simply can't predict what the results will be.

Not completely redone obviously but because it's a more radical hardware change than previous GCN iterations it requires a lot more new work on the drivers to tune for performance.

Whether that work will be mostly done by launch or whether it will keep getting better over the next one year remains to be seen...

12 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, I am simply saying that if you are comparing compute performance, TFLOPs are somewhat accurate ;)

i'd say some of the reason AMDs TFLOP hasnt matched its game performance has a lot to do with driver overhead, coupled with Nvidias advantage in rasterization and geometry.

Infact, i think we need to go back to Fermi vs VLIW5/Tahiti to see the last time AMDs TFLOP gave us a realistic overview of their performance.

Now, VEGA has new CUs, new tiled rasterizers and a new geometry engine. Perhaps the numbers will match up again? we'll see

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Apple won't be using RX counterparts of AMD VEGA, they'll be using the Radeon Pro counterparts. 

They both use same GPU and specially HBM2 too which is not easy to get. Thus limited availability in start. So they want to sell pro counterparts first for higher margins. The consumer RX after, optimized for games and being faster. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |