New study says games have no negative impact in kids

mgsstar

Are video games causing the youth of today, and tomorrow, with behavioral or emotional problems in the future? Well, according to a huge new study of 11,000 kids, no, no it does not.

The University of Glasgow used surveys from mothers in a massive millennial survey to track behavior over time. The goal of this study was to see if there was any connection between screen time, and behavioral or emotional troubles in the future. The authors dived into the study wanting to use both TV and video games, arguing the point that there is a connection with attention disorders, anger and other problems that might be connected to both.

The researchers wanted to know if "games may have more powerful effects due to active user engagement, identification with characters and repeated rehearsal and reinforcement." Then, we have some key findings, where "exposure to video games had no effect on behavior, attention or emotional issues." The study also found that "neither television nor video games lead to attentional or emotional problems."

The survey leveraged parents' reporting an average screen time and later behavioral problems, but thanks to the large study of over 13,000 families, the researchers felt confident in their results. The researchers also said they modified the results to take into account differing parenting approaches, and socio-economic differences.

Source: http://www.tweaktown.com/news/33978/new-study-says-games-have-no-negative-impact-in-kids/index.html

Guess now this proves that games don't affect kids to do wrong things. This is a pretty interesting research project imo and with that amount of families for testing, this is pretty accurate. But this is for kids so it could be different different for teenagers and adults.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I don't see how this is news, we knew this already.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

wicked, I have a copy of the millennium Cohort study (can't remember what year), I wonder if that's what they used?  I'll have to go through the study to see what they were looking at.

Although in general terms we already knew that, there are a few caveats and misc details that people should consider before throwing their developing kids in front of certain content and for certain lengths of time.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I don't see how this is news, we knew this already.

It's news because it now has the weight of the cohort behind it.  Which is more power full than small tests carried out on behalf of game developers which can be misconstrued as biased.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

WOW!!! Shocking news. Lol, the fact that people think it will have any more effect than tv or comics are dumb.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

And this study Went on to be ignored by parents everywhere

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

next week there will be a study with 20000 kids and it will show the opposite yay 

personally i know how gaming affected me negatively and effected people i know

not everyone is the same

if u have kids and u started seeing signs of aggression take action

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

A cohort study following kids at 3 yrs to 7 yrs and looking for att disorders? The age cutoff at 7 shows that this study wasn't sensitive for problems like adhd which, according to DSM criteria, get diagnosed between ages 6 and 12. If this study cuts off at 7, how well waas it able to detect attention disorders? If not adhd what attention disorders were they expecting to fish out at such a young age?

The same can be said about emotional problems. What emotional problems were they expecting to fish out when the cohort ends at the age of seven? The american assoc of pediatrics says that video games hits the growing brain hard, and has setup guidelines for limiting visual stimulus for a good reason. If you want the "prove" anything, you're going to need more studies and meta analysis with age groups that encompass the entire pediatric span (0-18)

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Correlation =/= causation 

If you're violent post gaming, you should go see a counsellor, etc. :3 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

"No negative impacts?"

Looks like they still need more time to realise that some games have 'Positive effects' on children, such as increased focus; reaction time and decision making skills.

pretty sure violent games just make "sick" people more "sicker".. other then that pc games/tv etc haven't  affected me at all i mean come on?

also what gets me (may be off topic but) is that people think that people(kids at elementary/primary school) that dont are accused of either lazy/addicted to games/tv or have a disorder

ever thought that they may just be bored ? give them someone interesting to do.

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Of course games have negative effects, like never getting off your fat ass and seldom seeing the light of day & real people.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Finally, after 25 years that my parents were telling me that video games were taking all my attention and making me violent towards them. I just saw Jerry Springer on Full Throttle Saloon and he went down awww now there is an awesome  commercial about a new movie coming out. I can't wait to get Star Citizen up and running, too bad I have an old video! So anyways, 4K monitors are badass - too bad we won't see them in the general population for a few years.

Sorry, what were we talking about again? Ahh yea, Ultra Voilet DVD's - I've never had luck with them.

A cohort study following kids at 3 yrs to 7 yrs and looking for att disorders? The age cutoff at 7 shows that this study wasn't sensitive for problems like adhd which, according to DSM criteria, get diagnosed between ages 6 and 12. If this study cuts off at 7, how well waas it able to detect attention disorders? If not adhd what attention disorders were they expecting to fish out at such a young age? The same can be said about emotional problems. What emotional problems were they expecting to fish out when the cohort ends at the age of seven? The american assoc of pediatrics says that video games hits the growing brain hard, and has setup guidelines for limiting visual stimulus for a good reason. If you want the "prove" anything, you're going to need more studies and meta analysis with age groups that encompass the entire pediatric span (0-18)

Rather astute observation you made there, I was just perusing the Cohort study and came across the final sweep at 7 years of age.  Rather interested to find out if some of the tendencies attributed to violent video games don't become observable until the body goes through puberty and there is a significant increase in testosterone.

pretty sure violent games just make "sick" people more "sicker".. other then that pc games/tv etc haven't  affected me at all i mean come on?

also what gets me (may be off topic but) is that people think that people(kids at elementary/primary school) that dont are accused of either lazy/addicted to games/tv or have a disorder

ever thought that they may just be bored ? give them someone interesting to do.

I would have to disagree with you a little bit here. With the regulation on games and the fact that visual games seem to take a lot of creativity out of people - I think it makes "sick people" be more desensitized as to actually seeing those actions. "Sick people" who read, especially history and what others have done and therefore causes the "sick people" to use their imagination to expand on that certainly have a much more devious mind and detrimental ability to follow through. Lets be honest, there are many reasons to play video games (on consoles or PC). We, as individuals, have to realize when certain activities make us unproductive or when it is harming us (or our children) and therefore we need to be proactive about it. As for the rest of your statement, I'm assuming English is not your first language (no problem there) - but I don't think we want to advocate giving school-age children "someone interesting to do". :D

Of course games have negative effects, like never getting off your fat ass and seldom seeing the light of day & real people.

He's right, gaming tends to get us to stay on our fat asses more. We should get all the "sick people" (If only Hitler had been addicted to video games) to just play video games so they don't act upon their minds. Then we have to encourage the productive population to not play these games and get sucked in like everyone else.

Scientific research has shown this multiple times already, yet people still claim otherwise.
This starts to seem more and more like a religion.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

Scientific research has shown this multiple times already, yet people still claim otherwise.

This starts to seem more and more like a religion.

care to link to some?  I ask because people portrait studies as scientific but the reality is that there isn't a lot of research carried out with sufficient sample sizes and controls to be regarded as authoritative on the this subject.

I would have to disagree with you a little bit here. With the regulation on games and the fact that visual games seem to take a lot of creativity out of people - I think it makes "sick people" be more desensitized as to actually seeing those actions. "Sick people" who read, especially history and what others have done and therefore causes the "sick people" to use their imagination to expand on that certainly have a much more devious mind and detrimental ability to follow through. Lets be honest, there are many reasons to play video games (on consoles or PC). We, as individuals, have to realize when certain activities make us unproductive or when it is harming us (or our children) and therefore we need to be proactive about it. As for the rest of your statement, I'm assuming English is not your first language (no problem there) - but I don't think we want to advocate giving school-age children "someone interesting to do". :D

He's right, gaming tends to get us to stay on our fat asses more. We should get all the "sick people" (If only Hitler had been addicted to video games) to just play video games so they don't act upon their minds. Then we have to encourage the productive population to not play these games and get sucked in like everyone else.

english is my first language, ive just had a very hard day today (dont like 45+ degrees cel in a ceiling for about 4 hours). any how, i dont *disagree" with you, i understand what your saying totally, like if those "sick" people played video games to get it out of there systems, i agree 100% with this, but from what ive seen of some games, it makes me understand how people get into trouble (i.e. jail etc), the games them selves dont advocate and advertise that its okay to kill prostitutes on the side of roads or steal cars or blow up planes (i.e. gta)..

i wrote out like 4 paragraphs and pressed backspace and it went back a page.. auto save can smd, great feature but it needs to save more often.

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

Oh-My-God-Who-The-Hell-Cares-Gif-On-Fami

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I'm sure many people who have no idea what they're talking about will keep on ignoring this or considering this invalid for whatever reason they can invent just so they can point their fingers at something other than their bad parenting.

I'm sure many people who have no idea what they're talking about will keep on ignoring this or considering this invalid for whatever reason they can invent just so they can point their fingers at something other than their bad parenting.

And those not interested in real scientific study will use this as a crux to their argument. The fact is, as pointed above, this study is severally limited in its scope, and doesn't really prove much. Video games do effect people, whether you want to believe it or not. To what extent, thats what a fully fledged scientific study needs to determine. Yet we can do these small tiny studies all day long, for and against, but only a nice large one will determine the true nature of what is effected. There are games I personally have to take a moment to ready myself to play, because they themselves effect me in a negative way and bring back some memories I'd rather forget. But hey, people say games don't effect anyone. I am special, woot!