Microsoft to begin relling out slick new "Fluent Design" UI in the fall.

shermantanker

Microsoft is officially unveiling its Fluent Design System today at its Build developers conference, known previously as Project Neon. The software giant has been teasing changes to its Windows 10 design for months now, and it's now ready to detail some of the changes that are coming later this year.

As part of the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Microsoft is including some of this new Fluent Design System. Most of the changes include subtle additions like blur effects, which is a type of design we saw back with Windows Vista. Fluent Design System is designed to be the true successor to Microsoft's Metro design, and will appear across apps and services on Windows, iOS, and Android.

I really like this new refined direction, and only hope that it is a full conversion in the end. With elements of windows 7/8 still baked into Win10, and DPI scaling issues still persisting in areas within windows this would be a welcome change.

The Verge

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

It is locking you down to have a Windows environment so you can't use linux or Apple.. Apple is doing the same f*cking thing...

6 minutes ago, Bwithnewcast said:

It is locking you down to have a Windows environment so you can't use linux or Apple.. Apple is doing the same f*cking thing...

What?

Ubuntu, Suse, and Fedora shells are coming to the Windows 10 store. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

It would be nice if the video actually focused on showing off the UI and not zipping between split-second glimpses, but this is obviously a teaser.

It looks a bit gimmicky, to me, and I'm wondering how practical it would be to have independently-moving layers in a productivity app. That stuff might just get relegated to storefront presentations.

Semi-transparent glassy windows might be nice for some basic Windows tools, but I think for most stuff, a solid window background is ideal, and less distracting for productivity. The glass would be fine on title bars, though, and I'm already using Aero Glass in Windows 10.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

oooooh nice

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

*insert future meme

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

but can microsoft work on windows text rendering, as it always looks shite compared to freetype.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

maybe it will fix scaling

but

If I don't like it, I can be sure that MS will ram it up my butthole with no lube, and give no option to keep old UI and keep up to date. And I'm talking in the case of major usability changes not visual. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I think it looks great. If they can make it looks like the shots at :57 mark then this will be a great addition.

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

that ad looks good, Microsoft finally started having decent ads while apple started having shitty attack ads. 

nice to see the new design, hopefully, they stick to it. 

Their xbox 360 Standoff advert was gold, and yeah I agree apple adds are just dripping with smugness 

1 hour ago, Bwithnewcast said:

Apple have always done the same thing, the fact they even are anal about NTFS files proves it* (haven't worked on mac in 3 years, could have changed) 

Are we just going to gloss over all the Halolens stuff ? That more than any new GPU/CPU is the first thing in a very very very long time i've seen as a actual game changer, so excited for it 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Yeah, I wish the video actually showed the UI in use rather than a bunch of random stuff / quickly showing the UI.

I think it looks nice though. I think the subtle depth shadows would be welcome to me.

Call me old fashion, but I prefer functional UIs over pretty ones, and this does not seem to focus on functionality.

So I have very mixed feelings about this.

Light:

Ripples when you click on a tile. I guess it's a subtle effect that gives a slight indication that you clicked on the button. So good idea.

That effect on the contact search seems horrible though. Why would you hide the grid that separates buttons until you hover over it? You're just hiding useful information for no reason (I guess the reason being "it looks cool")

Depth:

I hope that's not how the calendar looks because it's horrible. I don't want things "flying" towards me, nor do I want such low information density. You can't even see the time stamps for your activities when you're looking at a single day. How is that acceptable?

Not a fan of the scrolling in the store either. I really don't like when things scroll at different rates. I want to be able to predict where things are after scrolling. That's really difficult when you got like 3-4 UI elements moving at different rates from the same movement.

The other things move past me too fast in the video so I can't comment on that.

Motion:

Oh God no... The worst thing I know about using an interface are long draw out transitions. Why does my store balance has to start at 0 and then count up to my current fund? Why can't it just show my current account balance right away? I hope that's just an example that won't actually be implemented, because things like that pisses me off. Yes, it's only a second or two, but it's pointless. It just makes using my computer slow.

I do like the progress bars for things like the item tracking, and whatever "family stats" is though. That's really good in fact. It gives you the info you need in two forms (text and visual) while looking nice.

Why does the taskbar look so weird in that clip that shows taskview or whatever Microsoft calls multiple desktops? Why does it not have a clock and why does it have multiple contacts there? Please tell me that's something you can change, because it looks horrible.

I don't use the taskview so I don't care about that, but I think the "earlier" section would annoy me. I think most people open task view to change between programs, not to start programs. If you want to start a program then surely it is easier to just open the start menu and run it. Not gamble and hope that the program you want will show up among the 3 programs listed.

Materials:

Seems alright. I like transparency with frost effect because it makes it easy to tell which programs are on top of each other. I just hope they don't overdo it. It is easy that it just becomes distracting and does more harm than good.

Scale:

I don't even know what this is...

Whoever came up with this design for Explorer should get fired.

5914ce4fbb44b_MicrosoftFluentDesignSystem.mkv_snapshot_00.58_2017_05.11_22_29_41.jpg.89fa563f6be16ad90f1f01a3ba418222.jpg

I know it's just a concept, but it is horrible and I don't understand why Microsoft would want to show something like this to the public. It's like if your mentally handicapped cousin draw a picture of a penis. You might tell him that's it's pretty and all, but you should not show it to millions of people.

Even if you ignore the fact like it lacking a lot of hugely important buttons (this PC and network being two major ones I can't see) it is still really bad use of space.

I actually took the time to put it in numbers how atrocious that design is (please remember that there is some margin of error).

Total area of window = 1191593

Title bar and options = 142672 (12%)

Side panel = 303667 (25%)

Padding, space for sorting button and other misc wasted space = 154560 (13%)

Actual space for the files = 590694 (<50%)

More than 50% of the window area in that explorer is taken up by navigation controls.

Wanna know how much area they take up in the current explorer?

About 25% for all the boarders, padding and navigation.

75% of the window is dedicated to displaying the actual files.

That weather app that has a cloud covering the text is retarded. I don't want stupid effects covering the text I want to read.

Don't like the mail app they showed. I want to be able to see where buttons end and where they begin. I don't get why they seem so obsessed with removing boarders between UI elements that are next to each other. It just makes things harder to see.

And yes, I know it's just a bunch of concepts. Some of these concepts are fundamentally flawed though and I am worried Microsoft will just go down the "it's pretty so who cares about usability" route. Trying to polish some of these concepts would be like polishing a turd.

Vista is still the best looking Windows they ever made but some of these changes are next level retarded. Like it's cool the blur is backish but it's not really Vista or 7.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

So...they want to make Windows 10 look even more bland than it does now. While decreasing the usable area of a screen so people need to buy a 4K screen to get anything done.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

36 minutes ago, TOMPPIX said:

ALL I WANT IS A SYSTEM WIDE DARK THEME!!!

They need to put the dang button in the action center. Same with the new fl.ux thing.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 things I want

Tabs in windows explorer...

some kind of a visual clipboard I can quickly pull up, and retrieve multiple copy/paste items from

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

that ad looks good, Microsoft finally started having decent ads while apple started having shitty attack ads. 

I don't know if it's good in terms of getting customers, but it's pretty bad in terms of giving any info on what it actually looks like. As @Delicieuxz said, nothing relevant stayed on-screen long enough to get a sense of what it'll be like (people wearing VR headsets did, though).

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't know if it's good in terms of getting customers, but it's pretty bad in terms of giving any info on what it actually looks like.

it's for general consumers, they just want to see a memorable ad, remember the surface studio ad, people were searching for that ad. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

it's for general consumers, they just want to see a memorable ad, remember the surface studio ad, people were searching for that ad. 

I have no clue what you are talking about, but I'll take your word for it.

12 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

2 things I want

Tabs in windows explorer...

some kind of a visual clipboard I can quickly pull up, and retrieve multiple copy/paste items from

both on these are on ubuntu. Nautilus has tabs and there is this https://launchpad.net/glipper.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

10 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

both on these are on ubuntu. Nautilus has tabs and there is this https://launchpad.net/glipper.

There isn't any remote possibility that my workflow could be done an anything other then windows.

Just now, shermantanker said:

There isn't any remote possibility that my workflow could be done an anything other then windows.

that's a shame :/ 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´