Ontario Based College Online Network Held Hostage for $65K~ by Hacker

Go to solution Solved by leadeater,
On 5/7/2017 at 6:51 AM, Kobathor said:

They only grade electronically? The professors don't know how to grade?

I don't go to Canadian post-secondary school, so maybe it's common to do zero physical grading. But wouldn't the professors know how to grade papers without the computers?

It's not the act of grading that is the issue it's the recording and distributing of the grade.

For example here in my country we have the Ministry of Education and New Zealand Qualifications Authority who are responsible for a lot of things and two of those are certifying a course as being compliant to NZQA level of education it is claiming to be and that all students that have enrolled in the course have their grades recorded in the national database of academic achievement.

Every student has a National Student Number (NSN) and our entire academic history is recorded from the last 3 years of high school onward, this information is very important not only for the student but also the educational institute and the government. Academic institutes are funded by the number of enrolled students and their pass rates which those institutes have to report on, the national database serves many purposes one of which allows for reporting on institutional performance and also to make sure students are not defrauding the government by enrolling in more than one institute and claiming multiple student loans or allowances when they are not entitled to.

Most countries have similar systems in place.

You can't give a student their grade if you can't ensure it's integrity and correctness, if you do and they dispute the grade later and they don't match up who's was correct?

"A virus encrypted a significant portion of the school's online network ... hackers held files hostage in exchange for approximately $54,000 or 30 bitcoins " ... " The hack targeted Cambrian's web portals, grade report and student learning management systems where assignments are submitted. "

Local context: The CBC article probably screwed up here and have the USD value of the bit coin but In reality the collage would have to pay out $64895.52 Canadian ( if it comes to that). OUCH. For a institution of this size is a huge amount. They only have less than 10k student enrollment *read aside*. I have a friend who attends this school. The grades are still not out and he is very frustrated. Luckily for the majority for students, the educational year is over as Winter Semester is finished. Although, students are still adversely affected who have courses in the spring-summer semester. Class room teaching computers and media centers brought down from the attack. It is also seeming that the Collage has no interest in paying the ransom 

Students and faculty at Cambrian College in Sudbury, Ont., are being advised not to use campus computers during the hack. 

A letter from the School IT dep, attempted to quarantine the Viral Malware attack. 

"Students and faculty at Cambrian College in Sudbury, Ont., are being advised not to use campus computers during the hack"

Article Summary:

- Malware attack by hacker(s)

- Hack targeted the online infrastructure responsible for grades

- School wide campus computer system crippled 

- As of may 5 Grades have still not been released; long overdue 

- Police notified 

- Mass student frustration

- Due dates for assignments are extended

- Summer registration completely derailed

Source: 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/cambrian-college-ransomware-hack-1.4093634

Aside: 

- For all you Americans or others; In Canada a "College" is usually (more like legally) defined as an post secondary  institution that deals with Diplomas; usually with a skill related discipline (Trade, Biz Admin). Unlike "universities" that deal with degrees that although can deal with skill related disciplines, are usually associated with STEM, Lib Art, or Social Arts. (i.e Engineers, Scientist, Lawyers). 

- In summary: Universities are what Americans usually call Colleges; The american equivalent  collages are sometimes called Community Collage, or Trade School. 

Edited by GoodBytes
Fixed formatting

and that, my friends, is why you have BACKUPS

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

Yea, but what the big issue is that the network is brought down. No grades no semester registration. The class room computers are even down. Its not so much that data is at risk, as much as the school is crippled. 

2 hours ago, MoistyMcMoistface said:

Yea, but what the big issue is that the network is brought down. No grades no semester registration. The class room computers are even down. Its not so much that data is at risk, as much as the school is crippled. 

I don't go to Canadian post-secondary school, so maybe it's common to do zero physical grading. But wouldn't the professors know how to grade papers without the computers?

They'd probably pay em off i guess ?? #Canadians

Details separate people.

27 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

1. No, not evrey student live on campus there are hundreds who are E-Learners they cant submit the papers in the first place.

2. Not talking about papers we are talking about final grades for the semester.  There is a lot of privacy law here in Canukastan so no your wrong in assuming that profs can just "go back to physical grading". Now that the School spent a fortune setting up there PIPED compliant system that took lots of planing to set up they can't just flip to the old way of giving out information pre-internet at the drop of the hat. You cant just write the students highly private final grades on a napkin!

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Information_Protection_and_Electronic_Documents_Act

Just now, Tech_Dreamer said:

They'd probably pay em off i guess ?? #Canadians

No it looks like the IT dep has got things mostly contained and are just working to restore System functionality. 

Just now, MoistyMcMoistface said:

No it looks like the IT dep has got things mostly contained and are just working to restore System functionality. 

good to hear that

Details separate people.

1. No, not evrey student live on campus there are hundreds who are E-Learners they cant submit the papers in the first place.

I guess that makes sense for the people who physically cannot be there.

2. Not talking about papers we are talking about final grades for the semester.  There is a lot of privacy law here in Canukastan so no your wrong in assuming that profs can just "go back to physical grading". Now that the School spent a fortune setting up there PIPED compliant system that took lots of planing to set up they can't just flip to the old way of giving out information pre-internet at the drop of the hat.

Grades are grades.. Privacy laws? What's against the law for students to know their grades? I guess it's for students knowing other people's grades, but even then, I doubt scholars are itching to steal their friend's grades to see how they did. Super weird. 

A law for E-commerce and the protection of online purchases? If they ask for the permission of the student, they wouldn't even be violating those guidelines. Also, I fail to see how disclosing a final grade to a student via email or similar is illegally disclosing personal information. It's not like the professor would throw their credit card information in the email, too..  I think you're blowing it way out of proportion. You might not be, but it seems silly to me.

Also, the school would already be in violation of this act, since their system got hacked, and the students' private information is at risk.

You cant just write the students highly private final grades on a napkin!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I never suggested writing their grades on a giant chalkboard in front of a lecture hall. You're just making up silly stuff.

Oh hey (iirc) a similar thing happened to the University of Calgary last year.

not as crippled as my school's computers and network speeds

few words: upload is 10x faster, we still use iMac G5s.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Everyone must really like Arts and Craft to have it name collage. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 5/7/2017 at 2:47 AM, Kobathor said:

Crypto ransomware can sometimes infect network backups and NAS. 

On 5/7/2017 at 2:42 AM, MoistyMcMoistface said:

Class room teaching computers and media centers brought down from the attack. It is also seeming that the Collage has no interest in paying the ransom 

While an anti-malware app is only as good as the latest signatures, some third party ones have extra features that can detect unwanted encryption and can even roll back malicious actions of unknown crypto ransomware. Examples of which are enterprise versions of Bitdefender and Kaspersky Lab. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

The only safe backup is one that's not physically connected to anything.

That means connecting it for backup, once it's done disconnect it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

The only safe backup is one that's not physically connected to anything.

That means connecting it for backup, once it's done disconnect it.

Depending on the cloud storage service, it can sometimes be better than local backups. Assuming what Microsoft says is true, once a file is uploaded to OneDrive, it creates shadow copies of the file that can be later retrieved even after a ransomware infection. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

On 5/6/2017 at 1:42 PM, MoistyMcMoistface said:

Aside: 

- For all you Americans or others; In Canada a "College" is usually (more like legally) defined as an post secondary  institution that deals with Diplomas; usually with a skill related discipline (Trade, Biz Admin). Unlike "universities" that deal with degrees that although can deal with skill related disciplines, are usually associated with STEM, Lib Art, or Social Arts. (i.e Engineers, Scientist, Lawyers). 

- In summary: Universities are what Americans usually call Colleges; The american equivalent  collages are sometimes called Community Collage, or Trade School. 

It is the same in the US. People just don't how to use the proper reference with talking about them.

Universities are made up of colleges. We also have Tech and Vocational Colleges were you get skill related certificates (Non-liberal arts) and 2 year degrees (aka Associates degrees).

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

No one should pay ransoms at all.  When you pay the ransom you only encourage them or others to do it more.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 5/7/2017 at 4:51 AM, Kobathor said:

No usually you put the student scores in excel spreadsheets and adds up all the marks and turn it into a grading score such as (A,B,C,D,E,F) or similar. You tried manually converting more than 100 students grades, with around 10 test each.  

They do grading but there have to add them all up ... 

Magical Pineapples

On 5/7/2017 at 6:51 AM, Kobathor said:

It's not the act of grading that is the issue it's the recording and distributing of the grade.

For example here in my country we have the Ministry of Education and New Zealand Qualifications Authority who are responsible for a lot of things and two of those are certifying a course as being compliant to NZQA level of education it is claiming to be and that all students that have enrolled in the course have their grades recorded in the national database of academic achievement.

Every student has a National Student Number (NSN) and our entire academic history is recorded from the last 3 years of high school onward, this information is very important not only for the student but also the educational institute and the government. Academic institutes are funded by the number of enrolled students and their pass rates which those institutes have to report on, the national database serves many purposes one of which allows for reporting on institutional performance and also to make sure students are not defrauding the government by enrolling in more than one institute and claiming multiple student loans or allowances when they are not entitled to.

Most countries have similar systems in place.

You can't give a student their grade if you can't ensure it's integrity and correctness, if you do and they dispute the grade later and they don't match up who's was correct?

On 5/6/2017 at 0:53 PM, Kobathor said:

A law for E-commerce and the protection of online purchases? If they ask for the permission of the student, they wouldn't even be violating those guidelines. Also, I fail to see how disclosing a final grade to a student via email or similar is illegally disclosing personal information. It's not like the professor would throw their credit card information in the email, too..  I think you're blowing it way out of proportion. You might not be, but it seems silly to me.

In Canada, our privacy laws are so strict that emails violating the CANSPAM act can result in $10,000 fines. For each email sent. Any business-related or marketing email sent to email addresses controlled by any Canadian resident who has NOT consented to receiving said email is in violation of this act, which closely aligns with the strictness of our Privacy Act. The burden of proof of consent is on the sender of such emails.

In this example, disclosing any private information via email is technically a violation of our Privacy Act, unless you've PGP encrypted the email, which we all know the general public has no idea of. This is because email itself travels unencrypted over the internet, relying on the security of 3rd party servers outside of Canada that cannot be guaranteed secure. By using a controlled grading system requiring students and faculty to login to servers maintained by the university, they can fully control the way the data is stored and retrieved. Of course, it won't guarantee it will remain secure, as seen in this exemplary story, but it will keep any breaches subject to Canadian law so that our legal system can resolve any internal or external breaches.

However, with permission from the student, they indeed could arrange for other means to disclose their grades, similarly to someone consenting to receive marketing emails from a business. Problem is by the time they get consent from all the students and faculty, then implement a new method for sending said emails, after spending hours re-entering grades, they'll have remediated the existing threat to their existing systems.

On 5/6/2017 at 0:53 PM, Kobathor said:

Also, the school would already be in violation of this act, since their system got hacked, and the students' private information is at risk.

While we should absolutely 100% assume the data has been stolen, as we should in ANY cyber attack, they aren't in violation of the Privacy Act unless it can be proven the data has indeed been stolen. However, you're absolutely right that the private information should be assumed to be at risk until the situation is assessed and they figure out how and to what level the hack has been performed.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

16 minutes ago, kirashi said:

While we should absolutely 100% assume the data has been stolen, as we should in ANY cyber attack, they aren't in violation of the Privacy Act unless it can be proven the data has indeed been stolen. However, you're absolutely right that the private information should be assumed to be at risk until the situation is assessed and they figure out how and to what level the hack has been performed.

Even if proven to be stolen that doesn't mean they are in breach of the act, you're only guilty if found negligent in the care of that private data. Theft is theft and you're not liable for someone else's criminal act unless you also did something wrong. That is no different if someone broke in to the physical vault of academic records using an armored truck and plasma cutters/torches etc.

If you made the data as safe and secure as you reasonably could and legally had to it's not your fault if it gets stolen or breached, you can't be infinitely secure and even organizations with many times the IT funding still get breached.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If you made the data as safe and secure as you reasonably could and legally had to it's your not at fault if it's gets stolen or breached, you can't be infinitely secure and even organizations with many times the IT funding still get breached.

True this. Makes sense, since nothing can be considered 100% secure. This is where a good disaster insurance plan can come in handy, both for the organization and its' users.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

3 hours ago, kirashi said:

-snip

Thanks for the info! Makes a lot more sense now.

On 06/05/2017 at 7:42 PM, MoistyMcMoistface said:

SNIP!

Could you please amend the title, you mis-spelled college and it's messing with my OCD qualities..

I did check that this wasn't in fact about a collage in Ontario :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, paddy-stone said:

Could you please amend the title, you mis-spelled college and it's messing with my OCD qualities..

I did check that this wasn't in fact about a collage in Ontario :D

Damn it you bet me to the joke, was so prepared to do that but then read your second line.