Ontario Based College Online Network Held Hostage for $65K~ by Hacker

Go to solution Solved by leadeater,
On 5/7/2017 at 6:51 AM, Kobathor said:

They only grade electronically? The professors don't know how to grade?

I don't go to Canadian post-secondary school, so maybe it's common to do zero physical grading. But wouldn't the professors know how to grade papers without the computers?

It's not the act of grading that is the issue it's the recording and distributing of the grade.

For example here in my country we have the Ministry of Education and New Zealand Qualifications Authority who are responsible for a lot of things and two of those are certifying a course as being compliant to NZQA level of education it is claiming to be and that all students that have enrolled in the course have their grades recorded in the national database of academic achievement.

Every student has a National Student Number (NSN) and our entire academic history is recorded from the last 3 years of high school onward, this information is very important not only for the student but also the educational institute and the government. Academic institutes are funded by the number of enrolled students and their pass rates which those institutes have to report on, the national database serves many purposes one of which allows for reporting on institutional performance and also to make sure students are not defrauding the government by enrolling in more than one institute and claiming multiple student loans or allowances when they are not entitled to.

Most countries have similar systems in place.

You can't give a student their grade if you can't ensure it's integrity and correctness, if you do and they dispute the grade later and they don't match up who's was correct?

On 5/6/2017 at 9:14 PM, Tech_Dreamer said:

They'd probably pay em off i guess ?? #Canadians

I don't see how. Even if they had the money, it's not legal to do so. And if they try to hide it and divert funds to pay the ransom, the dean would be facing the risk of jail for restoring the school network (and that if you trust the attackers). Don't see it happening. 

Is a pretty silly attack due to the institution they targeted. They're not getting anything from this. 

14 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't see how. Even if they had the money, it's not legal to do so. And if they try to hide it and divert funds to pay the ransom, the dean would be facing the risk of jail for restoring the school network (and that if you trust the attackers). Don't see it happening. 

Is a pretty silly attack due to the institution they targeted. They're not getting anything from this. 

in Canada it is not legal to pay a ransom?, it's that a stupid law. (not saying you should normally pay)

The FBI stated once with ransom ware is that it is not recommended to pay, but if that is your only copy and it is very valuable your only option is to pay and hope it works out.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

in Canada it is not legal to pay a ransom?, it's that a stupid law. (not saying you should normally pay)

The FBI stated once with ransom ware is that it is not recommended to pay, but if that is your only copy and it is very valuable your only option is to pay and hope it works out.

I don't know if any country in which it is. We're not taking of your personal money here, bear that in mind. A school can't just write off part of its budget to pay criminals. 

Actually, even if it's for personal money, you can end up threading on thin ice due to "financing criminal activities". 

59 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't know if any country in which it is. We're not taking of your personal money here, bear that in mind. A school can't just write off part of its budget to pay criminals. 

Actually, even if it's for personal money, you can end up threading on thin ice due to "financing criminal activities". 

you are under duress you can't be held liable for what the money is used for. I can't see how it can be hold up in court.

think about this scenario, your mother was captured and her life is threatened if you don't pay $2000. you pay to get your mother back she is freed but kidnapper gets away, you are now in jail for saving your mother because the money was used to sell drugs to teens. how is that even fair or just. with a law that makes paying ransom illegal, it is better for you to let your mother die then pay. that doesn't sound right to me.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

you are under duress you can't be held liable for what the money is used for. I can't see how it can be hold up in court.

think about this scenario, your mother was captured and her life is threatened if you don't pay $2000. you pay to get your mother back she is freed but kidnapper gets away, you are now in jail for saving your mother because the money was used to sell drugs to teens. how is that even fair or just. with a law that makes paying ransom illegal, it is better for you to let your mother die then pay. that doesn't sound right to me.

You didn't read right. I said at the beginning you don't go to jail for that. But if you are the principal of a school, you can't spend school money on paying ransoms/bribes/etc. You just don't have the authority to manage funds like that.

Now, going to personal matters, what about the following example: I'm a noble descendant of Irish immigrants who conducts lucrative business in the US. Unfortunately, the IRA has taken my mother hostage. Or my aunt. Or my grandma's aunt. Or maybe they didn't kidnap anyone, but they have hacked into my company's network, or my personal files. They got my dick pics. I had to pay IRA some ransom. Yes, agent, this month again. You know, I pay, and they continue to blackmail me. What will I do? Poor me. Yes, I am giving money to a terrorist group in broad daylight, in plain sight ,but you don't understand! My poor grandma's aunt! My pics! The ransomware, again! Money must keep flowing!

So, no, you are not going to jail for saving your mother, but don't think that giving money to criminal organizations is as easy as claiming "ransom" either.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You didn't read right. I said at the beginning you don't go to jail for that. But if you are the principal of a school, you can't spend school money on paying ransoms/bribes/etc. You just don't have the authority to manage funds like that.

Now, going to personal matters, what about the following example: I'm a noble descendant of Irish immigrants who conducts lucrative business in the US. Unfortunately, the IRA has taken my mother hostage. Or my aunt. Or my grandma's aunt. Or maybe they didn't kidnap anyone, but they have hacked into my company's network, or my personal files. They got my dick pics. I had to pay IRA some ransom. Yes, agent, this month again. You know, I pay, and they continue to blackmail me. What will I do? Poor me. Yes, I am giving money to a terrorist group in broad daylight, in plain sight ,but you don't understand! My poor grandma's aunt! My pics! The ransomware, again! Money must keep flowing!

So, no, you are not going to jail for saving your mother, but don't think that giving money to criminal organizations is as easy as claiming "ransom" either.

The organization has to approve it of course, that I agree on.

I also never said paying a ransom is smart or preferred, just that it isn't illegal and if it is that is ridiculous. Paying a ransom is the last desperate act, not a first step.

My point is you are not liable for your actions under duress.