Netflix UHD streaming for Pascal based video cards is in the works

8 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

You not only one.

I have a player that can stream 4K content.  I doubt that has a GPU like that in it.  :P (Though, streaming is useless for me with a 20GB cap)

But seriously, I said crap it and bought a player on sell.  Way cheaper than dealing with all the requirements to have the PC run that content.

i feel good about getting my parents a PS4 pro and a Switch combo every day, these stupid exclusives are really ruining the core experience. 

24 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

There's not a big push for pirated 4k content, in fact a lot of the 1080p rips are really low bitrate as people prefer small files to better quality. 

What's that?  I can't hear you over the sound of 118GiB of Bill Nye Saves The World. :V

screenshot023.thumb.png.7a1003f6ae05d0f975a9f119866b1763.png

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I still have the GTX970 and had issues with HW accelerating UHD content, dunno exactly if it was only 10bit tho

That might be it, idk. Never really done 10 bit content myself, if I get it I usually just convert it to 8 bit to save a bit of space. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

5 minutes ago, AmazingRez97 said:

i know, BUT why is it necessary?

necessary?!?!

it's there to prevent people from copying the "protected" content

4 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

What's that?  I can't hear you over the sound of 118GiB of Bill Nye Saves The World. :V

screenshot023.thumb.png.7a1003f6ae05d0f975a9f119866b1763.png

Jesus, that's bigger than GTA5

Also that show

"That's the right message"

I swear when I heard people complaining about that show I thought they were making a big fuss out of nothing...then I saw it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

10 minutes ago, AmazingRez97 said:

i know, BUT why is it necessary?

There's no logic here just DRM 

muh specs 

All parts black

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

necessary?!?!

it's there to prevent people from copying the "protected" content

Then why cant I watch Netflix 4k on my Rx 480?

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Jesus, that's bigger than GTA5

It's pretty typical filesize for a Netflix 4K rip really.  But hard drives are cheap and I have a 4K TV.

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

Then why cant I watch Netflix 4k on my Rx 480?

because

• NetFlix
  • MicroSoft
  • Intel
  • AMD

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

because

• NetFlix
  • MicroSoft
  • Intel
  • AMD

I don't understand

21 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

You not only one.

I have a player that can stream 4K content.  I doubt that has a GPU like that in it.  :P (Though, streaming is useless for me with a 20GB cap)

But seriously, I said crap it and bought a player on sell.  Way cheaper than dealing with all the requirements to have the PC run that content.

Could be why the restrictions on PC are so onerous. Studios are probably hesitant to put their content on PC at all. It's likely Microsoft had a great deal of butt kissing to do to convince them their content won't be pirated. And on a PC, the only way to keep encryption keys out of main memory is to employ a TPM type module. 

The GM206 duo (GTX 960 /950) have both hdcp 2.2 and full 10 bit HEVC decode, though additional Drm bits may be missing. Or Nvidia is just being a tight wad. I can't be sure which, if either is the truth. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

41 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

You not only one.

Accidental double post... 

My eyes see the past…

35 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I still have the GTX970 and had issues with HW accelerating UHD content, dunno exactly if it was only 10bit tho

10 bit HEVC results in better quality for a given file size, though tends to be more taxing to decode. My Blu Ray anime rips are encoded this way to reduce banding as well. 

1080P with Main10 HEVC taxes both cpu and GPU of my Bay Trail Intel Atom system to the limits, though frame drops are very rare. MPC-HC is quite an excellent bit of software to make use of shaders to help the Atom in lieu of a hardware decoder. 

My smartphone (LG G2) also gets a strong workout playing the same files due to also lacking HEVC decode, though interestingly, the Snapdragon 800 fares much better than the Intel Atom. It gets warm, and hits the battery quite hard, but 1080P Main10 works flawlessly. I use Mxplayer in my phone. 

Considering I'm running a GTX 960, there's no need to mention how well Nala fares. 

My eyes see the past…

15 minutes ago, SCGazelle said:

I don't understand

• NetFlix - they decide who and what gets to decode their streams
  • MicroSoft - they create and implement DRM into their OS; both them and Intel are heavy and aggressively pushing DRM
  • Intel - they create and implement DRM into their HW
  • AMD - they aren't getting involved for providing support to their products

4 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Considering I'm running a GTX 960, there's no need to mention how well Nala fares

Nala ?!

GTX960 and GTX950 are the only Maxwell cards to support 10bit HDR HW decoding

27 minutes ago, zMeul said:

DRM

Whats the point of HDCP and DRM when rippers can record the entire screen using all sorts of tools? or if worst comes worst and they cant, they can use a high quality camera to record a 4K screen and record audio separately and then make torrents.

Just now, zMeul said:

Nala ?!

GTX960 and GTX950 are the only Maxwell cards to support 10bit HDR HW decoding

The name I gave my desktop. Anything I build gets it's own name. 

You are correct about the aforementioned cards. Other cards within the Maxwell generation support hybrid decode of 8 bit, though to the best of my knowledge, they do not help with 10 bit decode. 

My eyes see the past…

3 minutes ago, yian88 said:

Whats the point of HDCP and DRM when rippers can record the entire screen using all sorts of tools?

well, they can't

at least in theory, because from what I can see there are already ripped HDCP 2.2 content available - 2160p HDR 10bit movies

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Perhaps this is NVIDIA's backdoor way of announcing that there will be a 3GB 1050 to compete with the RX 560?

Or some PR guy just ran the release that the intern handed him.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

All those caveats... just to bust your datacap

lol

datacap? what is that? /s just throwing shade

9 minutes ago, tlink said:

datacap? what is that? /s just throwing shade

It's those people in the black suits that come in, slaps you in the face, and tells you to go outside for once.

My eyes see the past…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Could be why the restrictions on PC are so onerous. Studios are probably hesitant to put their content on PC at all. It's likely Microsoft had a great deal of butt kissing to do to convince them their content won't be pirated. And on a PC, the only way to keep encryption keys out of main memory is to employ a TPM type module. 

The GM206 duo (GTX 960 /950) have both hdcp 2.2 and full 10 bit HEVC decode, though additional Drm bits may be missing. Or Nvidia is just being a tight wad. I can't be sure which, if either is the truth. 

Then again, how many actually watch 4K content on a PC?

Heck, most around here still either buying or sticking to 1080P TVs.  (Like no joke, I sold my parents' 1080P six year old TV for 100 bucks)

It probably the studios.  They tend to be tight wads with their rights on content.  Don't blame them, they making a killing.

But at the end, the content going to get rip sooner or later.

Myself, buying the 4K HDR player and TV came out cheaper.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 hours ago, AmazingRez97 said:

is there a reason for nvidia to rrestrict 4k netflix exclusively for pascal? any hope for maxwell or older cards?

O fcourse there is a reason;
A - Pascal has a new media engine

B - to sell more Pascal and Volta cards, DUH