Suggestion on Linus's Youtube

Go to solution Solved by Zyndo,
12 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Snip

Hey, I'm not saying I understand all of the challenges involved.... I'm merely voicing my opinions on the matter seeing as this appears to be a place to do it. Lack of ultrawide content is currently the only thing preventing me from buying a PG348Q (or some equivalent panel like that). Maybe they could even get some sponsorship funds or deals from an ultra-wide provider like Asus, Acer, LG, or whatever to help with the transition. Granted, I'm not buying a PG348Q to watch Youtube, but when game support gets here I know I'm going to be disappointed with watching Youtube channels in 16:9.

I'm not currently a member of Float Plane nor do I ever intend to be in its current state. the mere benefit of being able to see things a week early does not appeal to me. However, if/when I get myself an ultrawide monitor, if they have 21:9 ratio supported on their videos on Float Plane, and if that feature is exclusive to ONLY Float Plane, then you bet your arse I'm gonna sign up for that. I would imagine a large percentage of all 21:9 viewers of his channel would feel the same way. That exclusive feature, to me, is worth paying for. Even perhaps for some viewers who have a 16:9 panel, watching a 21:9 clip with bars on the top/bottom can be more desirable to some than a standard 16:9. Float Plane needs some truly exclusive features and content in order to really suck people over there, and I think this could be a good way to do it.

But I really don't know. I'm not a media production company. I honestly know very little about cameras and production and everything that goes into actually making a high quality video. But LMG also has a ton of resources, a ton of staff, and are always looking for ways to innovate. It feels like they would be the kind of channel to take on this sort of endeavour, and making it a Float Plane exclusive feature should allow them to profit for it.

12 hours ago, Rangaman42 said:

I have a 21:9 monitor too, you want to know what I do? I suck it up.

Almost all video content outside of films is 16:9, I knew that when I got the monitor. You don't buy an ultrawide for Youtube viewing, you buy it for movies, productivity or gaming. Please stop complaining that the world doesn't change the way it works just because you bought a monitor without understanding what you bought.

Good for you. Do you feel better about yourself after attempting to shame us with your superior wisdom?

Witty retorts aside, this thread is labeled "Suggestion on Linus's Youtube"... Nobody here is complaining, these are mere suggestions and us discussing the possibilities of 21:9 and expressing interest in how the channel might better service some of its viewers. Its reasonable for him to make a suggestion about LMG recording formats. Its reasonable for us to discuss back and forth why this is a good or bad idea. Its reasonable for us to discuss other possibilities for 21:9 viewing as we have been doing. You attempting to belittle someone simply because they wish to provide feedback on their experience with the channel is just so..... unreasonable. It doesn't belong in this thread. If you're here to attack the idea he proposed... then attack the idea, but don't be attacking the person suggesting the idea.

Hi Linus,

I am new member on this forum and can't find a suggestion on your channel youtube. I just bought a new ultra wide monitor 34 inch with screen resolution 3440x1440.

I really like your channel and watching with full screen but I hate black bars. Could you upgrade your newest videos before upload to youbute. Youtube does work 21:9 ratios.

Thank you very much.

Have good day.

No.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

No.

why not? 

2 minutes ago, slesar said:

Hi Linus,

I am new member on this forum and can't find a suggestion on your channel youtube. I just bought a new ultra wide monitor 34 inch with screen resolution 3440x1440.

I really like your channel and watching with full screen but I hate black bars. Could you upgrade your newest videos before upload to youbute. Youtube does work 21:9 ratios.

Thank you very much.

Have good day.

While they are at is i want 5760*1080 youtube uploads from them too :P

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

1 minute ago, slesar said:

why not? 

Because 99.99999% of people use 16:9 screens.

If you don't want black bars then buy a standard ratio screen.

Why should 99.99999% of people be inconvenienced just for you?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, slesar said:

why not? 

Because 95% of people who watch his videos use 16:9 and if he just changes to 21:9 suddenly you will have people complaining about having black bars on the top and bottom.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Because 95% of people who watch his videos use 16:9 and if he just changes to 21:9 suddenly you will have people complaining about having black bars on the top and bottom.

I wish youtube would allow for that though, like they have 720p 1080p and 4k options, why not add one for ultrawide?

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Just now, Enderman said:

Because 99.99999% of people use 16:9 screens.

That's true but Youtube could change resolutions

Just now, Minibois said:

He does have 21:9 videos sometimes

Computer specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-6500
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC ACX2.0+ 2GB

Motherboard: GA-Z170-HD3P VER.2

RAM: G.Skill Aegis 1x16GB 2400mhz

Case: Corsair Spec-01

Storage: 120GB Adata SP550 + 1TB HDD + 500GB HDD

Wireless card: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11ac/BT 4.0

PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

Keyboard: Razer Backwidow Ultimate Stealth Non-RGB

Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus M601

Headphones: Steelseries Artis 1

Monitors: LG 24MP59G-P 24-inch 75hz 

3 minutes ago, slesar said:

That's true but Youtube could change resolutions

I don't think you understand how resolutions work.

You either have black bars, or part of the image gets cut off to fill the screen.

Stretching an image is not a solution.

This is why you get to deal with the black bars (or cut off image if you want) rather than everyone else.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Drak01112 said:

He does have 21:9 videos sometimes

Yep and as far as I remember, people complained in the comments.

5 minutes ago, MedievalMatt said:

I wish youtube would allow for that though, like they have 720p 1080p and 4k options, why not add one for ultrawide?

You make a video with a focus and subject material. When suddenly you cut the bottom and top of the video out, you have to make sure all the information is still there.

Plus that extra space would likely be dead space anyways, since not every viewer would be able to see it.

It's like Gorillaz' 360 degree video clip. Most of the stuff was still displayed in one place, looking around was almost useless. That is because the director wants you to be able to see 'everything' already and he doesn't want to make stuff that most people won't see due to the nature of 360 degree.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Nice build. You have a old AF PC and great peripherals, I see where your priorities are. 

Computer specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5-6500
GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC ACX2.0+ 2GB

Motherboard: GA-Z170-HD3P VER.2

RAM: G.Skill Aegis 1x16GB 2400mhz

Case: Corsair Spec-01

Storage: 120GB Adata SP550 + 1TB HDD + 500GB HDD

Wireless card: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11ac/BT 4.0

PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

Keyboard: Razer Backwidow Ultimate Stealth Non-RGB

Mouse: Redragon Centrophorus M601

Headphones: Steelseries Artis 1

Monitors: LG 24MP59G-P 24-inch 75hz 

No, 95% of us use 16:9 aspect ratio, that will be so small for our monitors, you can handle it.

The geek himself.

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Here's the real problem: name me an ultrawide video capture device. DCI 4K is 1.9:1, whereas ultrawide is 2.33:1. So if you want ultrawide, you're going to have to crop the video's height. And that'll look fugly.

I know that problem. But I have seen on youtube allow changes ratios in the future. First bigger ration then auto changes lowest ratios. 

If you don't want black bars on your videos, don't buy ultrawide. Unfortunately, ultrawide isn't very widely supported, and regular fullscreen/widescreen is the standard format. So if Linus did make videos in ultrawide resolution, it'd look like ass for the 95% of us that don't have ultrawide monitors.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

21 minutes ago, slesar said:

why not? 

Because this

Image result for monitor resolution percentage

I see. But I just wrote a suggestion if people happy ;) 

(Coming from a 21:9 user)

This isn't a really good idea as probably around %98 of their audience watches in 16:9 and if they wanted to satisfy both sides then they'd have to edit a single video twice. You could buy a second monitor and watch vids on that (although buying it just for that seems like a bit of a waste unless you'd use it for more) if you really, really dislike black bars.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Everyone seems to think this needs to be an "either or" scenario..... why can't he just film, with his new 8k camera, in a resolution like 5120x2160 (or whatever the ultrawide 4k resolution is) and then trim the images down to the correct aspect ratios  and resolutions based on selections in the Youtube Player. He could build his sets around this intention just by making them a tad bit wider (assuming they're not already wide enough). for normal 16:9 users, filming in 5120x2160, and then cutting it down to 3840x2160 won't distort or affect the image at all, you merely would lose some empty background sidespace which you're currently not seeing anyway so it would be EXACTLY the same for any 16:9 user, but for the 21:9 users, the black bars are now replaced by the colorful LMG backgrounds... the 21:9 users would suffer a small amount of blurring due to interpolation, but the Youtube compression quality would already likely be worse than this anyway so I doubt it would matter much.

Is there some reason this couldn't work? or is it some kind of limitation of youtube itself? seems like a relatively easy and not terribly difficult thing to do considering how much people complain about there not being enough 21:9 content out there.... as a tech channel he could really push this sort of thing forward to help set himself apart from other channels even more.

I just wonder if people buying a new smart TV and using YouTube app. 

Anyway, this year is growing up with ultrawide TV or Monitor and people are interesting about 21:9. (Wikipedia said)

13 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Everyone seems to think this needs to be an "either or" scenario..... why can't he just film, with his new 8k camera, in a resolution like 5120x2160 (or whatever the ultrawide 4k resolution is) and then trim the images down to the correct aspect ratios  and resolutions based on selections in the Youtube Player. He could build his sets around this intention just by making them a tad bit wider (assuming they're not already wide enough). for normal 16:9 users, filming in 5120x2160, and then cutting it down to 3840x2160 won't distort or affect the image at all, you merely would lose some empty background sidespace which you're currently not seeing anyway so it would be EXACTLY the same for any 16:9 user, but for the 21:9 users, the black bars are now replaced by the colorful LMG backgrounds... the 21:9 users would suffer a small amount of blurring due to interpolation, but the Youtube compression quality would already likely be worse than this anyway so I doubt it would matter much.

Is there some reason this couldn't work? or is it some kind of limitation of youtube itself? seems like a relatively easy and not terribly difficult thing to do considering how much people complain about there not being enough 21:9 content out there.... as a tech channel he could really push this sort of thing forward to help set himself apart from other channels even more.

I'm fairly confident YouTube only supports different resolutions but not different aspect ratios for the same videos. So they'd essentially need to do both 16:9 and 21:9 workloads. In addition to just being a logistical strain already, that also means needing storage for 2 videos rather than 1 on every production they make.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

15 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Aside from a technical problem, there's a creative problem as well. What's the point of shooting in 21:9 if almost all of your focus fits in a 16:9 window? It's extra pixels that don't need to be there and processed.

1 minute ago, Centurius said:

I'm fairly confident YouTube only supports different resolutions but not different aspect ratios for the same videos. So they'd essentially need to do both 16:9 and 21:9 workloads. In addition to just being a logistical strain already, that also means needing storage for 2 videos rather than 1 on every production they make.

Yes! Linus have enough storage :)))